Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Has Half Season/Full Season Anime Sets Killed Discussion?

Has Half Season/Full Season Anime Sets Killed Discussion?
Author
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Has Half Season/Full Season Anime Sets Killed Discussion? Reply with quote
I'm liking my half season and full season sets, but I also loved getting individual volumes like what was used for most of MM old releases and some of the newer ones like Gundam Unicorn and Sword Art Online.

However, the flip side of getting everything at once has I feel drastically killed discussion on anime series. You only have to look at the madboards to see soo many locked anime series forums and no new ones. There's been no anime recomendation threads after the forum was locked either. Except for a few titles like Cardcaptor Sakura, has any discussion gone for more than a page since MM followed the US in going for half season/full season sets.

I love my half season and full season sets, but I'm missing the discussions that was soo fun to participate in as we argued about an individual volume, or a dodgy release.

Does anyone else feel the same?

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it's more that most people have moved on, or have real life getting in the way of online time, and the ranks haven't been filled by new people coming in. The young 'uns all on social media, it seems.

It's funny. There's been a distinct drop-off of activity, each of the last few New Years, like clockwork.

EDIT - eek. Look a the time stamps of these posts. I'm not haunting the boards, waiting for activity. I just finished watching The Life of Brian on SBS. Though I do swing by a few times per day.
Jaeger-bomb-bastic
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't see the point in discussing things as they are released locally while they've been out for years already. Just watch as they're released in Japan and discuss on MAL or Reddit or something.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quite a few series are released pretty quickly when compared to the US releases and some of the retro titles came out before the US/UK releases.

By page 4 of this forum, we're already hitting 2013 and a lot of threads have single digit posts and hundreds of views.

I went away from here being glued to playing Age of Warring Empire on my phone until I came to my senses and realised how much time I wasted. However the madboards is a different kettle of fish. It's not like your life is consumed by battles and you can walk away without thinking, maybe just a minute longer.

For me, it's been like when motorcyclists come across each other. We just talk about our bikes, the road, clothing, close shaves with bad drivers, etc. The madboards have been like that as we chat about different releases, music etc. However that discussion has been dying out.

Why I've put up this discussion.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm with Tragic Man. I don't think its with the release structure. If it you probably would have seen a counter-effect with the rise of legitimate streaming sites like Crunchyroll and Anime Lab promoting week by week discussion. Heck everything I want to watch this cour except for Nanoha ViVid has been announced by either Crunchyroll or Funi (and I fully expect Madman to pick up the Funimation ones at some point).

It's not just the Madbords. Unless they're attached to a really big website, a lot of other conventional forums I visit have been a lot less active than they used to be. I think everything has just shifted to other formats like Facebook and similar social media.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not surprised that other forums are going the same as here. It only reinforces my view. Sure, that other media like Facebook take people away, but Crunchyroll and Anime Lab would help discussion.

Anime releases used to be like book series, where each volume was like a drawn out hair puller, but people discussed each volume and its faults as they've come out. Anime series nowadays are like quickies or one night stands for the most part in my view. I might go for a round or two doing it with the same person, but overall, it's not as satisfying.

I've lost count on how many series lately that have come and gone without discussing it and I'm left wondering if it was any good or not.

Log Horizon and a bunch of others falls in that category.

Just my opinion on it.

jeff
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think it is the release type that has killed discussion. Forums in general seem to be a dying part of the internet being replaced by Facebook & the like. A forum that I frequent on rail related topics has totally died off over the last 2 years.

R1 DVDs
Current totals DVDs = 3756, Figures = 430, Soundtrack CDs = 1466, Artbooks = 364.
Typhrus
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I always check in from time to time, but yeah there really isn't much activity on the forums these days. Most of the activity I see tends to be on the 'what anime have you been watching?' which tends to get at least a new post every few days.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know how busy MM's Facebook page is, but I know the effects it has on people from watching them. My co-worker spends all his time on it away from work and admitted that he didn't sleep at all last thursday because he was on it.

Still I can't see MM's Fb page or twitter getting people going gaga.

I'm just being skeptical about it all. I know that a lot of members have fallen off the map like I did and buying anime, manga etc isn't cheap.

With the government looking at adding GST to imports, it'll become more expensive esp with the aussie dollar the value it currently has against the american greenback.

Anime has become a blink and you miss it in terms of releases now. MM has titles that I have no idea about, so much has the conversation died here.

Plenty of people viewing posts, but none willing to actually make a comment. Sort of like being at a party where you make a comment or do something that a lot of people pay attention to, but no conversation arises from it.

Should we reactivate some of the locked forums in order to try and get people commenting again?.

With the way the madboards are looking with only a few open forums and a massive amount of locked ones, maybe that helps make people stay away.

4 pages of General Anime and it goes back to the 22 of April 2013. I haven't seen it this bad. Putting anime recomendations threads here makes me sad and I'd feel dirty after the amount of posts I've put in there and ones that I'm wanting to put up.

I still think that ever since anime started going the way of complete series or half season sets, that discussion on anime series has gone the way of the dodo. There are some that really need the sets like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Inu Yasha and Fairy Tale, but I would like MM go back to doing a lot more individual volume releases with the boxsets at the end or beginning.

Typhrus
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, a Fairy Tail forum wouldn't be too bad of an idea. I could understand why some of the least popular anime specific forums might be locked (like the Code Geass one as an example). Judging by the occasional visits I have as guest to the Funimation forums, it seems like its still fairly populated.

I mean I would like to comment more, but a lot of the things I'd like to talk about might be in breach of forum rules (hence why I don't bother with them), off topic or other such reasons.

I do occasionally pop into the book thread in the Mad House....but I have fairly predictable tastes in History Razz
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just think a lot of people have moved on. As for going back to single disc releases, god no… Anime is already expensive as it is and the anime home video market is shrinking just about everywhere. Streaming is helping it shrink faster. It’s going to half box sets or full sets of older titles till the end and only Aniplex, Bandai Visual and Pony Canyon are going to gouge customers with overpriced special edition singe disc sets. I also note that the Fandom Post forums are certainly a lot quieter than the old Animeondvd.com forums. I suppose that people that actually buy anime in a physical format are a rare breed now.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think that people buying DVD's and blu/ray are a rare breed. I tell other people on buying books. Do you appreciate a file more than a book. I have books that I've reread to the point of falling apart and dvds that are scratched from rewatching them soo much. I love sniffing new books and opening a sealed DVD or blu/ray case is fun in it's own right. Sort of how vinyl is making a major comeback along with CD singles despite all the digital versions out there.

As for what aniplex making people buy individual volumes, I'm happy with that. It actually made me more interested in getting them. I need boxsets to help me tell one series from the other. Anime thinpacks or thickpacks aren't on my desired buying list.

Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There was a massive drop off in people who buy anime DVDs and BDs during 2007 to 2011 when the US market was in dire straits. Maybe it has picked up in recent years, but it doesn't really feel like it. I’d love to see some sales figures. Companies like Right Stuf/Nozomi and Discotek are doing well because they’re aiming their releases towards older fans (hence older titles like Rose of Versailles and Giant Gorg). I suspect that end of fandom is keeping a lot of the industry afloat, because I doubt any of the younger fans buy actual discs. They’re more interested in streaming.

As for the Japanese companies releasing stuff in the west by themselves, it’s been a mixed bag. Sunrise is releasing Turn A Gundam as cheap half series sets, but Gundam the Origin is only being sold as a $100 special edition. In fact it’s only being sold this way in Australia and the UK as well. They aren't offering the regular Japanese edition which is about half the price with the exact same contents on the disc. I’m getting my copy via Amazon.co.jp, but I’ll bet not many people know about the regular edition.

Aniplex is worse. Not only are they placing heavy shipping restrictions on their products and releasing them as special edition single disc sets only, the packaging of US versions are highly inferior to their Japanese counterparts. The fold up boxes on their sets are cheap as, but the Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari box sets were woeful. The actual boxes where wonky and the covers for the BDs were slightly oversized so the covers were warped. Compare with the box sets that Aniplex release in Japan. You’re paying near Japanese prices for what is quite frankly a substandard product. If they’re going to pull that crap, just put the subtitles on the Japanese discs and be done with it. I certainly wasn't going to pay Aniplex $300 for a substandard Kill la Kill, so I’ve gone the UK route and bought the Anime Limited version, which quite frankly looks nicer.

As for Pony Canyon, I really don’t know who the hell is going to pay $200+ for Denki-Gai. And there is the problem; not everything these companies release should really get an expensive limited edition. It prices a lot of fans out of the market and frustratingly no cheaper versions of these shows seem to be on the horizon.

As for thinpaks, look I don’t mind them. As long as it’s not cheap and nasty looking like those horrible S.A.V.E Funimation covers. Sometimes you have no choice like the stuff Nozomi does, but I’d rather have Dirty Pair on DVD than not at all.
Sethscar
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree that the discussion platform has simply shifted to a new venue. Legal simulcast streaming and other means are still alive & well, I don't believe anime is any less popular, I just think forums have served their purpose and been killed off by Facebook.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
The fold up boxes on their sets are cheap as, but the Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari box sets were woeful. The actual boxes where wonky and the covers for the BDs were slightly oversized so the covers were warped.

You know Hanabee did really good local releases of the *Monogatari series, right?

As to the drop off in discussion, I'm just glad I won't need to add new rank titles past 20000 posts or whatever the count I got up to is.

We actually had three new actual human beings sign up for the forums in one day last week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
You know Hanabee did really good local releases of the *Monogatari series, right?

Pretty sure Aniplex released them before Hanabee announced they had local rights, but my argument still stands; with Aniplex you're paying almost Japanese prices for a substandard product compared to the Japanese release.
lostone1993
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think it has anything to do with half-season or full-season box set it’s mainly a combination of Video on demand and easier access to fan subber stuff as well as Facebook

Let be honest here a lot of the forums have died because of the rise of stuff like face book and twitter.

Also since I wait to get my anime on DVD generally by time I have watched it the discussion is usually dead by months if not years. Because the people who discuss it, have watched it as it aired in some form and this is true even on much larger anime forums i know of

I think opening the suggestion sub forum might get discussion in some form going again

Anyway that my thoughts on it.
Typhrus
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Iostone brings up a good point. Its one of those areas where I'm not entirely sure I should discuss things that Madman hasn't released, or if we're to extend this topic to manga, where one has read ahead. I'll always support the localised release of something once its released, but before then I'm rather weary of discussing it. I should also note, that I don't read any manga or anime before release here (anymore), the point I raise is purely hypothetical.

The problem I see with FB is that the comment section has been driven down to people merely sharing it with specific friends and not actually discussing say the release of XYZ anime on Animelab or Hanabee's website. Not sure about Twitter as I don't have one and never plan to.
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
When anime was released by volume I used to wait for the whole collection to come out before I watched it most of the time.

I don't discuss as much as I used to due to work and other commitments taking up more time.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm all for re-opening the recommendations forum if that is the will of the community.

As for discussions of shows we have always encouraged everyone to talk about them. Previously with fansubs it was a talk about it but don't talk about where you got it from rule. Now though we have so many great legal services including our own with AnimeLab that I feel there should be more discussions about current season shows.

Perhaps we're all just a bit too old school Razz
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd be pretty happy if the Anime Recomendations forum would open up again. Besides the newer members, it would come in handy for those of us who've returned to buying anime.

Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
consider it done.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a million Sly. Good to see that you're still around.

StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Typhrus wrote:
Its one of those areas where I'm not entirely sure I should discuss things that Madman hasn't released, or if we're to extend this topic to manga, where one has read ahead

It has never been a rule on these forums that you can only talk about shows Madman has released. As long as you don't talk about unauthorised distribution sources (i.e. fansub sites etc), then you're golden. Same applies to manga as well.

The forums are intended to be a community for anime fans, not just for people who buy Madman's stuff. (The idea, from Madman's point of view, is to foster a community that then buys their stuff, not the other way around).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Sly for reopening the recommendations section Very Happy I actually wanted to use it a few times since it's been locked. So many hidden gems in my backlog of dvds.

I've only ever discussed what I've watched by official means. Only get a mention if I'm listing them in the thread of shows I'd like to see licensed. Not often that I watch fansubs much anymore since their are so many legal steaming options now. Usually only end up watching fansubs if something I want to watch hasn't been licensed and subbed/dubbed. Last show was Bakuman (which I'm still waiting for madman to release season 2 & 3)
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I have to admit JESTER is right the forum has become extremely DULL in my own opinion over the last 12 months or more since the topic forums have been locked.

No one ever comes here anymore and I'm starting to see the same forum members over and over again and no new members.

Also not many here including forum members give "REVIEWS" of current NEW anime releases and what they are like to watch.
example I like to know what Kill la Kill is like, but nobody here talks about it...and I find that is a big problem when it comes to any new release anime as you don't know what some new titles are like.

Sometimes you just have to buy and try out or rent or watch online on some streaming TV accounts like Netflix, Presto, Stan, Quickflix, Ezyflix, crunchyroll and even iTunes store to PSN(PlayStation store) XboxLive store etc to download some episodes such to see what the anime show is like.

::Streaming TV::

The only problem I hate with streaming TV is cost to become a member when you don't know what content is available to that streaming site.
There's also the problem of unmetered sites are only available to some ISP.

Neflix is with Optus and iiNET unmetered but not to Telstra which is only unmetered to Presto.
Presto is only SD while Netflix can go up to HD & 4K def if you wanted too.

I haven't tried crunchyroll but wondering if it's geo-blocked or that their is an Australia site version.
example there is US Netflix and Australia Netflix but you can't use US version unless your IP address is US domain.

I have been doing research on Streaming TV for work lately and going to write and article on all of them and comparing them all...but that's another story to tell.

But I think the main problem here is there's not enough reviews of new titles to see if they're good or not.
A lot of people are going to streaming TV sites and not coming here to talk about any new series.
Also a lot of people probably watch illegal downloaded anime on youtube and talk about it there.

Surprisingly what people do just to watch anime.
I have notice some episodes of Naruto which haven't been released yet in Australia have been posted on youtube, which is illegal and copyright infringement to their youtube accounts for posting illegal content.
I know one thing about youtube if you post illegal stuff on your youtube account, then your account gets disabled permanently if caught for copyright infringement more than a certain number of times.
But still think closing ones youtube account is still not enough to crack down on piracy, as they will still just make another account.

So yeah I wish there was a legal way of seeing what certain number of anime titles are like out there.
I'm not a big fan of streaming TV just yet and haven't made the plunge just yet for the paid for ones but I do like 'Catch Up TV' on freeview ones but they are only free-to-air TV.
Also there is almost not anime shown on free-to-air except the ones shown on ABC3.
So we are very limited to knowing what new releases are like.

Last edited by SS3 Son Goku on Mon May 04, 2015 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:
So yeah I wish there was a legal way of seeing what certain number of anime titles are like out there.

Crunchyroll and Hanabee don't need membership to watch. AnimeLab is free to sign up. ABC's iView has recently broadcast episodes. If you can get around the region block, Hulu has a lot of free series. None of those sites are secretive about what they have. You can use those to sample series.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
[..]

Crunchyroll and Hanabee don't need membership to watch. AnimeLab is free to sign up. ABC's iView has recently broadcast episodes. If you can get around the region block, Hulu has a lot of free series. None of those sites are secretive about what they have. You can use those to sample series.

I don't use those and don't plan to. Nothing against those who do, but besides being an english dub anime watcher, I spend at least 12 hrs going to and from work including my work shift for 5 days a week. A lot of times I get home at midnight and I'm too buggered to do anything, but pull out a book, maybe a scotch and coke before going to bed.

Before I returned to the madboards, I was addicted to online gaming and so I now tend to avoid being online for too long.

I'm completely in the dark about a lot of anime that's coming out, but no one is telling what a series is like as it's now assumed that we've seen it via a streaming service.

Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'll be happy to know that there is a limited range of English dubbed anime on AnimeLab. The range will also expand once premium kicks in.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
I'm completely in the dark about a lot of anime that's coming out, but no one is telling what a series is like as it's now assumed that we've seen it via a streaming service.

^This...as I pretty much the same.
I see a lot of new titles at JB Hifi but don't know what there like.
But also I keep checking the madman website and looking at all the new releases and their schedule and so I reading up about all the new titles for the month.
But you still can't really get a fair idea what a series is like...only like a brief summery of the title.

I notice with some streaming sites is that you can't check out the library unless you JOIN or become a member or sign up for 30 days free.
At least with iTunes or PSN store you can check out the library and do a "preview of any title" but it's only like 30 seconds preview.

We need more "Reviews".

But I have to say most of my anime titles are anime adaptions of manga.
As I tend to have more manga than anime and so I tend to buy anime based off manga. eg, Bleach, Naruto, Berserk, Claymore and Attack on Titan all come from manga.
But when I see titles that are anime only I really don't know much about the title.

I think its because I sometimes use manga as a stepping stone to buying anime...meaning if I like the manga or briefly looked at the manga I will get an idea to buy the anime.
But on that note I did buy Attack on Titan without buying the manga but I did have a brief look at the manga to see what the series was like and to see what the series story was like.

If find anime only titles a mystery on what they are like.
If its manga I can easily browse the books in the comic book store and see if I like it...but anime is a different story.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to use Newtype USA as one of the major forms of deciding what to get, but that went bust not long before ADV went bankrupt and became Section 23 and Sentai. During that period, anime series was still coming out individually except for weaker titles out here and though people b*tched about the individual volumes and how long it took to come out, there was more discussion on it and a lot more open forums. I also went to watch the previews on the dvd's and I still do that.

I've started going back to the Fandom Post and I get both Otaku USA and Neo, but I'm still in the dark on other stuff.

I have no idea what Tokyo Ravens and a few of the August titles are about. Nothing about those that are coming out has been mentioned in those mags, so I'm completely in the dark.

As for manga/anime adaptions, there are some bad ones like Rosario + Vampire, so you can't always think that the anime studio will do a good adaption of the manga.

At least Sword Art Online 2 is out in August. That's one title I know about.

Unless I actually know what the anime is like now, I tend to go for secondhand copies. It's a lot less riskier money wise.

Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I’m now into my 20th year as an anime fan (discounting my childhood years watching Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers et al), and it’s far, far easier to watch anime legally (practically for nix) and to acquire it on home video than what it was back in the 1990’s. Yes, I’m, going to go into “you kids have it easy” mode, but for god’s sake, you can now watch anime as it is broadcast on Japanese TV, same day, same time. And for free. You don’t have pay a cent.

I really don’t understand the complaints. Of course not everything is going to be dubbed. It’s been that way for a while now. But seriously, there’s an infinite number of anime reviewers blogging out there plus the professional (ha!) reviewers like ANN, plus the previously mentioned free streaming. If you cannot work out what’s good or not for the amount for information at your fingertips (or seemingly make time to do so), then I’m really baffled at what you can do. I really don’t know how you could be in the dark when you can easily find out what is playing this season, last season, heck, practically everything released since the 1960’s and even further back, and you can find images and reviews for pretty much for all of it. Plus you can stream it legally and for free and if not you can find the PVs on Youtube or the official websites.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes we have to chase up new series info on other sites as no one here is talking about those titles on the madboards which is the point of it all.

I can see all too many similarities to the forums now to when I quit playing Age of Warring Empire. No one is talking, so people get bored and quit.

Look at how many posts I've made in the last month and I've pretty much come close to doing more than 2/3's of the total posts of other members during the same period.

Talk about depressing.

Typhrus
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well maybe we could have a new forum on anime reviews (with spoiler warnings of course) or we simply expand the scope of 'what anime are you currently watching' thread to include more reviews?

I've always tried to give a little review of what I thought of the series I've been watching or re-watching. That might generate more conversation as people discuss the finer points of a show.

I do miss the old caption this picture thread, some of those were great.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I checked out Animelab and boy I feel like a kid in a toy store...going around saying "I want this MUM I want it, can I, can I, can I" LOL

There's quite a few title there I seen and heard of but also there's some I actually want to watch.
for example Kill la Kill(available on Animelab) as I've heard it's like Gurren Lagann(also available on Animelab) and since I own Gurren Lagann I might find it amusing due to the fanservice jokes.

But I have to ask what is "Simulcast" labelled titles mean.
I looked it up and think it means that its posted days after broadcasted.
But broadcasted from where actually? Is it Japan broadcast or US broadcast or local broadcast?

Eg. Fate/Stay night Unlimited blade works is labelled Simulcast but Fate/Zero isn't.
Also I've notice normal Fate/Stay night is not listed but only Unlimited Blade works and Fate/Zero(which I already own on blu ray).
Though even I haven't seen Fate/Stay night I'm not too worried about it but just notice its not listed.

I've also checked out crunchyroll but I do think its geo-blocked but you can never tell with streaming sites as you read the fine print and terms and conditions and still can't get answers.

But I'm not going to go out of my way just to do VPN tunnelling just to avoid geo-blocking...its a lot of trouble just to avoid geo-blocking.
Also if you just happen to sign up to a streaming site that is geo-blocked you won't get a refund and so it would be a complete waste of your time.
I guess the free trial is only good to see if your not geo-blocked.

Another thing to is that most people don't have Japanese TV or can get access to it...or that it isn't subtitled...so the people of Japan see 10 times more anime titles than I would see in a year...so you can never compete with a person living in Japan...unless your watching streaming anime every day.

Also people who post anime on youtube is breaching copyright infringement which makes youtube seem very illegal.
I've already noticed episodes of Naruto and other anime before they are released in Australia...though I have to say I don't watch them as I rather wait to buy them.
I like to do the right thing and watch it legally.
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:
But I have to ask what is "Simulcast" labelled titles mean.
I looked it up and think it means that its posted days after broadcasted.
But broadcasted from where actually? Is it Japan broadcast or US broadcast or local broadcast?

Simulcast can mean within an hour to a week of Japanese broasdcast. Also, sites with paid subscriptions put up titles faster than free public services.

US broadcasts are at best uncommon, as in Australia, and usually significantly later than Japan. Space Dandy, a notable exception.

"Simulcast" label usually expires at the end of the season. Don't worry too much about the original Fate/stay night not being on AnimeLab. It's not required viewing to understand Zero or Unlimited Blade Works, both of which are themselves largely stand alone. That said, there are minor nods in UBW back to Zero but they aren't plot essential.

SS3 Son Goku wrote:
I've also checked out crunchyroll but I do think its geo-blocked but you can never tell with streaming sites as you read the fine print and terms and conditions and still can't get answers.

Crunchyroll caters to a worldwide audience, but some shows are indeed restricted to certain countries, usually US & Canada. In those instances, it's often Funimation who has the series, and they sub out the streaming to local streamers, depending on who picks up the license.

Any series page you can see on the Shows page on Crunchyroll is available to you.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The perception that Japan is a land of all the anime you can consume is actually not quite right. It's broadcast on TV, however different shows air at different times in different cities. For example a show airs in Kyoto on KBS, but does not air in Tokyo for another week. If you live in the countryside it may even be longer unless you have cable or satellite.

of course there are streaming services there as well but what we have been trying to do is offer all of the latest shows where possible as fast as possible and when you look at what's available in each season I'd like to think we're doing a pretty good job with keeping up. We've gone from having 2-3 shows on simulcast to over a dozen every season.

Anyway point is. Consume anime at your own pace. It's fun to keep up with every show, but it's not always going to be possible, so just sample a few here and there and if something sticks you'll know what you like eventually. AnimeLab is able to offer that and it is free during this beta period.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
btw feel free to use the recommendations forum to recommend shows to others as well. If you've watched something and want to review it, that's the place to do so Smile
Jaden1
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Time management is part of the reason I stopped coming here to the forums, and also just plain watching anime. There is simply not enough time in the day to go to work, come home, catch up on all the damn Facebook posts you have missed during the day, catch up on the Youtube channels you subscribe to, watch episodes of tv shows you enjoy and watch some anime. As well as do all the normal things like eat dinner, look after the kids/pets, catch up with the wife on how her day was, and don't even THINK of trying to read a book.
What I need is a longer day.. by about another 12 hours would be good.. Although if that happened, it'd simply end up becoming a longer WORK day!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: