Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51
Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?
Author
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading Jack Campbell's - The Dragons of Dorcastle bk 1 of the Pillars of Reality series and it's quite different from his other books. This is his first fantasy series and the main characters are younger than those he's written in the past and they've been through extremely strict forced education, so there's a disparity between them.

Lots of big ideas of what I'm trying to convey here, but because of that, the world comes alive and not the same as his Lost Fleet or other sci-fi novels and I'm really liking it. There's a lot of interesting things happening and I'm definitely going to get all the books once they come out in paper print.

Currently reading the above paragraphs sequel, The Hidden Masters of Marandur and that continues to be an interesting read. I'm hoping to have that finished off before Sunday. I will have it finished off before Sunday.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sadly, I haven't had much time to do a lot of reading since leaving Uni, but I am currently re-reading two books by Bill Bryson (yes, at the same time, more or less). A Short History of Nearly Everything and Down Under, in which he travels a reasonable chunk of Australia.

Very funny bloke, particularly the book about Australia, if only because I've known quite a few international travellers, and his reactions are pretty much on par.

I do wish he'd taken the time to see a little more of SA than Adelaide and immediate surrounds, but I admit to being thoroughly biased.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading this book after I lost count rereading The Hidden Masters of Marandur by Jack Campbell.

Ties of Power was quite good and a fitting sequel to A Thousand Words For Stranger and carries on with the same people from the first book and Captain Morgan's past comes out. A real page turner.

Currently reading bk 3 of the Trade Pact Universe - To Trade The Stars.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haven't had much time to read, but have been listening to audiobooks on the way to and from work each day.

Was recently on a Red Dwarf stint so listened to Better then Life and Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers. Accidentally listened to them in the wrong order, but familiar enough with Red Dwarf that it didn't matter. They are just altered and extended events of certain things from the show. Chris Barrie who played Rimmer is the one who reads the books and did an excellent job with imitating the other cast.

After I finished the two Red Dwarf audiobooks I decided to find out what else was available read by Chris Barrie since I enjoyed listening to him. He had read a children's book called Opal Moon Baby by Maudie Smith. Even though I am above the target range for this book, I enjoyed it a lot. The main character Martha was extremely easy for me to relate to.

Currently back to listening to Vengeance: The Tainted Realm Trilogy, Book 1 by Ian Irvine. I'm 13 or 14 hours into the audio book. Needed to take a break from listening even though I am enjoying the audiobook.

Since I couldn't get the other two Red Dwarf audio books or even e-books I ended up getting both books off ebay.(Could only find cassette tapes and I no longer have a working cassette player.) Currently reading Backwards which has so far still been altered versions of different episodes and picks off where the Better Than Life finished. Not very far into at the moment since I don't really have much time for reading.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading To Trade The Stars by Julie E. Czerneda and that was a good way to finish the series, though I wouldn't mind reading more. The variety of characters were very well defined and were able to grow because of that.

Started reading Foundation by Isaac Assimov. Had it around for years but never read it, so I'm doing it now. Seems familiar for some reason, unless I have read it and then forgot about it. Time will tell.

Last edited by JESTER on Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Apollo
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Feball3001 wrote:

They are just altered and extended events of certain things from the show.

Not quite. There IS an ongoing story and some explanation of what happened to various tangential characters.

I'm slowly working my way through Stephenie Meyer's latest book. It's weird as hell.

....I am a vampire and here's a million dollars.

Mystery Forum Theater 30001
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've now finished Red Dwarfs Backwards. I enjoyed this one more then the other two books. The end was the only thing I didn't overly like was the end but I knew it was coming since I read spoilers before I decided if I would read the Red Dwarf books. It also something I wanted to see in the actual show for that episode. Haven't had time to read Last Human yet but is next on the list.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading Foundation by Isaac Asimov and it was more interesting than I thought it would be. It took longer than I thought with the page count, but the scenarios for each chapter were well defined and developed. I'll have to hunt up the sequal when I get the chance.

Just finished reading Departure by A.G. Riddle and that was like a Sliding Doors, but involving a plane crash and multiple people being in the know. I'll have to hunt up the epilogue as it's not in the bk, but classed as an extra on the authors website that can be scanned by barcode at the end of the book. Quite absorbing and definitely worth a read if anyone was interested in it. There's a pic of the cover further up on this page.

There's a couple of bks I'm looking at reading, but after reading a dozen or so books in the past 2 months, I'm giving my brain a break.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just found out that the final book of The Black Fleet trilogy is out which means I'm gonna have to order it. I'm hoping that it will be a good read like the first 2.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bought and will start reading Jim Butcher - The Cinder Spires bk 1 - The Aeronaut's Windlass.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just finished reading the Aeronaut's Windlass and it was a very intriguing and absorbing book. With it being over 600 pages, there's plenty of ways that the book could've completely stuffed up, but the different characters, both good and bad as well as a cat character were given a lot of page time which allowed the book to really come to life before your eyes.

It's the first book of a new series and one I can highly recomend getting.

Been told that Counterstrike, bk 3 of the Black Fleet trilogy by Joshue Dalzelle has come in, so I'll be getting my hands on that on thursday. I've also ordered the below book which has gone into paper print and am hopefully getting that this week as well.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now reading Jack Campbell - Pillars of Reality bk 3 - The Assassins of Altis and it carries on from what happened in bk 2 as smoothly as his other works. I'm enjoying the continued growth of the main characters and the situations that they find themselves in.

Unlike David Webber, John G Hemry aka Jack Campbell hasn't gotten too big for his britches as his books are fluent, absorbing and not all over the place with multiple characters taking the spotlight away from the main character(s).

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading The Assassins of Altis and that was a really good volume to read. There's one chapter that left me in tears, even after reading it several times. It was that powerfully emotional. Brilliant.

The book has introduced more characters, but they fit in quite well and the growth of several of characters was really pleasing to see.

The book did bring to light a lot more of the world the series is based on and hints of what's to come. I'm definitely looking forward to reading volume 4 of The Pillars of Reality series by Jack Campbell.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading Counterstrike by Joshua Dalzelle and that was a fitting final book in the Black Fleet trilogy.

For an Amazon published book series, this was very gripping. In the afterwords, he mentioned that he's been tweaking the series since he first wrote it in 1998 and only now felt comfortable in getting it published. I can only admire that he took the time to go over this instead of just rushing it out. The trilogy really meant a lot to him.

Well worth the read, even though it's more expensive than others.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bought Jim Butcher - Furies of Calderon - bk 1 of The Codex Alera and have started reading it. After reading his latest novel The Aeronauts Windlass, I have high hopes for this book.

I think this year will be a PB in book reading for me since I was a teenager.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished that book and it was ok, but it had too many characters that stopped it from becoming really good. I'm picking up the sequal that I have ordered and hopefully that will be better.

Bought and read The Martian by Andy Weir. It's the book that the movie starring Matt Damon was based on and I was happy with it. I can see the differences that were done in the movie and where they kept things word for word. It's a definite must have book for those who enjoyed the movie.

The version I have has Matt Damon's face without his helmet on a red mars setting.

Sailor Apollo
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was stuck on a plane for some hours, so I read Adaptation by Malinda Lo.

It was...sort of this weird combination of sci-fi thriller and lesbian romance (Lo is bisexual and has previously contributed to AfterEllen.com). In the aftermath of a mass of birdstrikes, a girl named Reese and her debate partner David are forced to drive from Nevada to San Francisco...but then their debate coach is shot and they end up in an accident. A month later, they've recovered and head back home, where Reese meets and falls in love with a girl named Amber Grey. And of course, nothing is as it seems as Reese suddenly starts having weird dreams and displays supernatural abilities.

....I am a vampire and here's a million dollars.

Mystery Forum Theater 30001
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi and it aint that bad. I had started reading it before, but got side tracked by a few Jack Campbell bks and decided to start reading it again from scratch.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Almost finished reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi and it's a lot better than initially thought. I'm definitely looking at getting the sequal as it looks to be heading to climatic showdown.

Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
All of them are good Smile
There are I think 6 in total, plus a couple of short stories that he wrote for Tor.com and the like.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only got Old Man's War due to loving Fuzzy Nation, though they stuffed one of the characters up by changing his name later in the book after earlier he first showed up.

Old Man's War ended well and I'm looking at getting the sequal Ghost Brigades.

Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm back on a Pratchett spree, I read "Men at Arms", and I'm now onto "Soul Music".

So far (once again) I'm finding myself laughing out loud at various bits in both of them, and as always seems to be the case whenever I reread them spotting bits I've either missed before, or forgotten.

For some reason no matter how many times I read the Discworld books, there always seem to be bits I don't remember or didn't pick up on previous reads.

I seem to be finding that I'm enjoying some of the books a lot more than I remember, I think probably because as I've got a bit older some of the stories and characters resonate more.

It's still hard to believe there won't be any more Discworld books, and he's gone.
**** Alzheimer's and dementia in general.

And in related news, there is a push to have a life size statue of PTerry erected in his home town, designed by Paul Kidby who by the sounds of it has some nice ideas for it and there is a rough sketch already that looks nice.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished reading the above book and it was a great follow up to Linesman. New characters are brought it as other charactes roles get changed and it becomes interesting in how the dynamic is changed. Ean is still a great main character, but I'm starting to like Jordan Rossi a bit more than I ever thought I would after his role in Linesman.

Up online is already the title of the 3rd bk called Confluence, which means I'll have something to look forward to.

Definitely worth reading.

The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just finished The Shepherd's Crown. It has a great end-of-an-era feel to it, quite fitting for the final Discworld book. A final battle between witches and elves with appernetly far-reaching implications; the wizards' computer Hex spitting out an equation, a prayer wheel spinning.etc. Alas, we'll never see What Happned Next.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really enjoyed TSC, whilst it wasn't as good as some of his other books, it was still very good and as you say an "end of an era" feel.

I'm slowly rereading all the Discworld books again at the moment (with breaks for other new books and the odd reread of another book), and realising how well they've generally stood up to the test of time (and myself growing up), and finding that even the books I wasn't a great fan of when I first read them (and haven't reread for a long time because of that) are far better than I remember.

I think a part of it is that as I've grown up I'm picking up nuances and references that passed me by originally.

Terry Pratchett and the Discworld have been something I've practically grown up with* (I think I read the first one 26 years ago at school), and had practically become a part of my calendar, every year i'd get the latest one as soon as it came out.

I really wish that there had been a good TV series or film made of it, the likes of Hogfather were reasonable but not great and The Colour Of Magic was terrible.

*I've actually got some signed artwork from Paul Kidby on my wall, prints of Death, the Watch from "Guards,Guards" with the dragon looming over them, and a pencil print of the Watch as per Feet of Clay era.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The next Jack Campbell books will be out soon. Waiting for the 4th book of the Pillars of Reality series to come out and Jack Campbell told me that Titan will be releasing a Lost Fleet comic series that will have stuff about Michael Geary in it.

It's really awesome when an author takes time out and replies to your email.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the first book of the Ranger's Apprentice series - The Ruins of Gorlian. Despite it being classed as a teen book, it wasn't bad.

I got it from work after it was left behind.

Rereading Shadow by Dave Duncan. I don't mind rereading this book once in awhile. Just wish that he did a sequal.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had 2 Jack Campbell books come in and finished them off in over a few days.

Read The Pirates of Pacta Servanda - bk 4 of The Pillars of Reality by Jack Campbell and continue to be blown away by how different it is from his Lost Fleet and Lost Stars novels. More characters are introduced and older characters return. Mari and Alain continue to be interesting and fun characters and I'm most definitely looking forward to book 5.

The other Jack Campbell book I read was book 4 of The Lost Stars series called Shattered Spear and the tone of the book is way different to his Pillars of Reality series. Once again, it continues on with Iceni and Drakon trying to keep the Midway star system free from takeover by the Syndicate Worlds and annihilation by the Enigma's. There's quite a bit of tension as battles are waged, motivations are questioned and ultimately lives are lost. He doesn't hold back on killing off characters when he feels like they've done their part.

I'm a massive fan of his and I'm super honoured that John G G Hemry aka Jack Campbell has replied to my emails.

I can't recomend his books highly enough.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi and that was about the special forces units that Jane from Old Man's War is in. Jane does feature quite a bit in this, though she isn't the principal character. It does however end on a satisfying end.

Read The Last Colony by John Scalzi and it's the 3rd book in the Old Man's War series. It deals with the main characters of bks 1 and 2. A lot happens in this book. A litteral crap storm happens in it and it really brings out John Scalzi's skills as an author. I loved how it ended and will be reading Zoe's Story a little later.

Zoe's Story deals with how Zoe's role in book 2 was central to how it went. In a way that book reminds of Belgarath The Sorcerer and Polgara The Sorceress. A different persons perpective on an incident.

Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you haven't read it yet try Redshirts next Smile

Lock In is also good and quite different from the OMW series.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Werewolfforhire wrote:
If you haven't read it yet try Redshirts next Smile

Lock In is also good and quite different from the OMW series.

I got a few books lined up at the moment, though I'll look it up. Very Happy

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read The Malice by Peter Newman which is the sequel to The Vagrant. I only got the book after I remembered The Vagrant when I was at Galaxy bookstore and found out that there was a sequel.

The book is not as bleak as The Vagrant as it starts up 10 years or so after and things have settled down since the events from that book. A new threat comes out and Vesper, who's now a young girl finds herself as the main character. The goat from the first book is still there and with it some hilarious moments. However, it's the goat's newest kid that becomes companion to Vesper for the book. With the book not as bleak and a talkative main character, the book is easier to read. There is some research from The Vagrant needed to understand where another central character comes into play and why. Overall, I was really quite happy with it and am looking forward to reading The Seven once it comes out.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the latest Jack Campbell - Pillars of Reality novel The Servants of the Storm and it continues on it being a fantastic series. The PB version was marred however by its conversion from Kindle in that things that wasn't visible in the Kindle version popped up in the PB. The worse examples being a chapter heading between 2 paragraphs instead of it's own page heading like the other chapters and the grave markings being marred by space/tab markings on both side of the grave name.

I was caught out that it started when it did, but quickly got into it. It brings together some elements that was in earlier books, so I was happy with it. I'm really looking forward to the next book which is on its way.

Also read Confluence, bk 3 of the Linesman series by S.K. Dunstall and though not as entertaining as the first 2, it tied together more of the characters and the changing nature of the universe that the books are in. I was happy with how it went and am likewise am looking forward to reading book 4.

Bk 6 of The Pillars of Reality novel The Wrath of the Great Guilds.

Jack Campbell has told me that there will be a follow on trilogy to the Pillars of Reality novels. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read Wrath of the Great Guilds by Jack Campbell and it finished pretty well. The publisher was once again at fault for not removing digital coding from kindle to paperback. Over half of 1 line was digital code and that was in an important section of the book.

I'm really looking forward to reading the sequel trilogy.

Currently I'm reading Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. It's okay at the moment, though the main character seems flighty, arrogant and deadly. Not certain on how it'll go, but I'll find out.

I just received word that a new Jack Campbell book that just came out of nowhere has arrived at the bookstore after I saw it by accident online and got them to order it. It's certainly different from his other books by the plot, which makes him one of the most versatile authors out at the moment.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading Throne of Glass by Sarah Maas and it got better as it went. By about halfway, I started reading it seriously and then went thru it quickly. The main character got less fancifull as it went on and overall I really enjoyed.

I"m going to have to hunt up the sequel once I've read The Sister Paradox by Jack Campbell.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Picked up and read a few books that came out on the same day.

I read The Seven by Peter Newman which is the final book in the trilogy started with The Vagrant and The Malice novels.

Once again, the world appears to be bleak, but it was compelling and the flashbacks to over a thousand years before really helped flesh out the world. It was done in the previous book, but what was done for this was fascinating. Overall, the book was fantastic and can't recomend the trilogy enough.

Next was the Genesis Fleet - Vanguard by Jack Campbell and that deals with the formation of the Alliance and how Earth loses its influence as people move out to form new colonies. This was quite an interesting read as it has multiple characters with the central one being Robert Geary. It's a well thought out novel and a great start to the origins of the Alliance and the characters from The Lost Fleet.

Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I've not long finished "Please Don't Tell My Parents I Have a Nemesis". The fourth book in the "Please Don't Tell My Parents..." series (fifth if you count the prequel "I Did Not Give that Spider Superhuman Intelligence" which is the origin story for several secondary characters).

Damn last minute twists and cliffhangers.
strideryb
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished the Long Cosmos which is the 5th and final book in the Long Earth series by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter.

The ending was a bit of a disappointment - felt like they wasted too much time on the secondary characters. and rushed the main story line.

The first book was easily the best for me and then the series went downhill gradually.

Page 51 of 51

Jump to: