Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Log Horizon. Is it Worth Buying?

Log Horizon. Is it Worth Buying?
Author
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Log Horizon. Is it Worth Buying? Reply with quote
First thread in the newly revived Anime Recomendation forums with big thanks to Slykura. Smile

I've seen images of this series, but after buying and watching .hack/SIGN, .hack/Legend of the Twilight and most recently Swort Art Online, I'm a bit iffy on whether I'll enjoy it or not.

Maybe it's because it sounds soo similar to S.A.O.

Can anyone tell me if it's worth getting or recomend something similar that I may like.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look, I haven't seen it- but I hear from a few people that it diverges from the by-this-point-generic .hack/SAO mold after a few episodes and instead begins to explore the political/sociological and economic aspects of the virtual world.
So think maybe .hack meets Spice and Wolf.

However I'd like someone to either confirm or deny this. I have NOT seen Log Horizon yet (because I initially avoided it assuming it was some half-assed SAO which I already thought was dreadful).
Typhrus
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't watched it yet either, but one of my friends who has a pretty good nose for decent anime thinks it is better than SAO. I can't really confirm whether that is correct or not though.
jeff
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I rather enjoyed it. Like Sylontack said it does differ from the .hack/SAO mould & concentrates more on the political/economic aspects of the virtual world.

R1 DVDs
Current totals DVDs = 3756, Figures = 430, Soundtrack CDs = 1466, Artbooks = 364.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's vastly superior to Sword Art Online, but probably not quite as good as .hack//SIGN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, but probably not enough for me to get it any time soon. I like SAO, though Fairy Dance was a bit of a let down. It just feels like a knock off of SAO, which is why I'm wanting opinions.

I need to rewatch .hack//SIGN as it's mostly a slow paced series if I remember correctly, though the music is awesome. Yuki Kajura autographed the ltd ed OST boxset I have on it. Very Happy

It's focus is different to SAO to some extent,though I take it that the outcome is probably the same as SAO.

I'm going to need more convincing that it's worth getting.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
lostone1993
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Log Horizon is very different from SAO

it has a similar setting and similar aesthetics but I think that as far as it goes its closer to spice and wolf. its hard for me to explain some of it without going into spoilers

the main character is not a fighter
there is no set couple
it deals with mainly what happens in the world rather then a single person adventure

if you like SAO I think its worthwhile getting and say there is a good chance of you liking it but on the other hand i would try to watch a couple of episodes first if you are unsure or maybe only buying the first collection and trying it out

but I have only seen SAO so that all I have got to compare to
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:

I need to rewatch .hack//SIGN as it's mostly a slow paced series if I remember correctly, though the music is awesome. Yuki Kajura autographed the ltd ed OST boxset I have on it. Very Happy

Lucky you Very Happy

The .hack//SIGN songs are great live, so far I've heard:

Open Your Heart (twice)
Yasashii Yoake (with Yuuka Nanri on vocals instead of Chiaki Ishikawa)
the world (Emily Bindiger & FJ chorus)
key of the twilight (Emily Bindiger & FJ chorus)
fake wings (Emily Bindiger & FJ chorus)
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
lostone1993 wrote:

the main character is not a fighter
there is no set couple
it deals with mainly what happens in the world rather then a single person adventure

That's similar to .hack//SIGN with the above, but the amount of people trapped are like that of SAO. So that's why the SAO/.hack//SIGN link is relevant.

I think I'll need to watch someone's copy of it. Haven't had a madboarder over at my place in years to watch anime. I think the last people were Axtyon and Zorella.

u523 wrote:
Lucky you

The .hack//SIGN songs are great live, so far I've heard:

She was in Sydney a few years back for A Night of Fantasia at Sydney Uni where musicians performed in front of her and she did an autographing session at the Kinokuniya. Wink

Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
She was in Sydney a few years back for A Night of Fantasia at Sydney Uni where musicians performed in front of her and she did an autographing session at the Kinokuniya. Wink

I'm so mad that I was in the same city as her and didn't even realise it.
Granted I may not have yet been familiar with her work but this needs to happen again!
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
[..]

I'm so mad that I was in the same city as her and didn't even realise it.
Granted I may not have yet been familiar with her work but this needs to happen again!

Lol. It's only a 15 mimute walk from the Kino to my workplace. Every friday or saturday I pop in at midday to check out the manga and the new anime releases before going to work. It was there that I saw the first Log Horizon set that MM put out and I remembered seeing some images in Otaku USA.

I'm going have to seriously think about this.

Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Log Horizon is on Cruncyroll if you want to check it out before buying (and have decent internet to stream.) I haven't seen .hack/ series and only managed to get a few episodes into SAO before I dropped. Log Horizon on the other had I enjoyed a lot and will eventually be purchasing for my collection. It goes more into game mechanics then what I saw in SAO. It's like they are actually in a game, where as with SAO it felt more like transported to another world. Log Horizon something that I feel would appeal more to someone who played MMORPG's.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for that. I ended up buying the first collection when I went in JB-Hifi this afternoon. I'm tossing up when I'll watch it or if I shouldn't have.

Everytime I look at the cover and read the plot, I get the sense that I'm going to be disappointed.

I guess I'll find out when I actually do start watching it.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
After watching the first half of Log Horizon, I'm leaning to giving it to my sister. It's becoming a watch it once and then forget series for me.

The lead character just can't do wrong. Can't make mistakes and there's a sense of arrogance about the series, that I just can't enjoy. Sure there are comedic moments, but the "everything is going according to plan and nothing will go wrong because I'm the main character" attitude really bugs me.

I'll watch the rest of the series, but I'm not expecting much at all.

The signs subtitle track is MIA for disc 3 of LH. The track listing saying subtitle 1/2 is there, but you can only see the sign subtitles in subtitle 2/2 which is for the japanese language track.

Sword Art Online and .hack//SIGN are in my opinion a lot better than this.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finished the series which I take it that a season 2 will be done. However, if I had to give it a star rating, I'd be giving it a 2 out of 5*. Graphically it's decent, but it was all too much a straight line for the main character.

From my own experience in playing games, a main character like Shiroe in terms of strength, skill, etc is a really bad choice. There's no real growth to him or the other characters because he and the others were massively strong to begin with.

People might complain about Sword Art Online, but character wise, scenario wise and growth potential wise, it's far superior to Log Horizon.

At its best, only 1 or 2 episodes are actually worth a rewatch for Log Horizon for me at least. I found it hard to finish watching the series as I was that bored with it.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since my above post, I've tossed in the bin Log Horizon. Except for the artwork and english VA's, the series was crap.

One of the things I liked about SAO and .hack//SIGN was that the characters were either wanting to get out of the game or was trying to help others get out of the game without dying in real life. In Log Horizon none of the characters cared whether they died or not in the game as they would come back to a safe spot and just like they didn't care if they logged out of the game or not. If they did log out, they'd be super peeved and I'd be getting an axe to them in the real word.

The main characters didn't care. At least with SAO, there was a big element of danger of real life dying and and you actually cared about the characters. Even in .hack//SIGN, there was the element of real life death and that the other characters were determined to avoid that from happening. There was the fear which wasn't in Log Horizon.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: