Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

R1 Orders: What Are You Getting?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119
R1 Orders: What Are You Getting?
Author
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anything from Aniplex, NIS America and Ponycan US (if any of theirs have been released here yet) are packed with physical extras in comparison to Aus. And more likely to be Blu-ray there, DVD here. Nisekoi, I'm looking at you. Alternatively, you could try UK releases. UK gets Nisekoi on BD while Aus doesn't, their Kill la Kill comes with booklets while Aussie ones don't.

Most of the time, cover art is the same, aside from necessary logos and ratings.

Picture quality is almost always identical, as Australia uses US materials, sometimes converted to PAL, sometimes left as NTSC on DVDs. The one major exception is Sailor Moon, where Australia is going to get DVDs using the European masters rather than Viz's own HD upscale effort.
PLEDGE
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
Anything from Aniplex, NIS America and Ponycan US (if any of theirs have been released here yet) are packed with physical extras in comparison to Aus. And more likely to be Blu-ray there, DVD here. Nisekoi, I'm looking at you. Alternatively, you could try UK releases. UK gets Nisekoi on BD while Aus doesn't, their Kill la Kill comes with booklets while Aussie ones don't.

Most of the time, cover art is the same, aside from necessary logos and ratings.

Picture quality is almost always identical, as Australia uses US materials, sometimes converted to PAL, sometimes left as NTSC on DVDs. The one major exception is Sailor Moon, where Australia is going to get DVDs using the European masters rather than Viz's own HD upscale effort.

Cheers for all the info! Just checked out their Kill la Kill box set...pretty cool, but probably not worth the extra money importing it here. There was once a time when I would have been all over something like booklets..but these days I can't really justify it. I'd probably look at it once and never again. So I'm definitely sticking with Madman for Kill la Kill. It will be interesting to see what they do with Tokyo Ghoul.

Anything 4:3 I usually just get the DVDs..since I like watching those on my CRT I use for retro gaming. The picture actually looks really good when you watch SD material on an SD TV..not to mention no black bars Very Happy
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
PLEDGE wrote:
Cheers for all the info! Just checked out their Kill la Kill box set...pretty cool, but probably not worth the extra money importing it here.
Just on Kill la Kill, I personally think the All the Anime/Anime Limited UK sets + box (with volume 3) are far superior to the Aniplex of America versions. Sometimes the UK versions are better than the US versions.
Sylontack
Yoriko Nakaido

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:

Be careful with UK/AUS releases of AoA titles.
As far as I can tell, Blue Exorcist is identical more or less, and Siren's Durarara is significantly close (plus has an extra sub track).
However I think we don't get Nisekoi on BD here for a reason, the UK release is a violent mess- and I haven't done a direct comparison yet as I'm away from home but Madman's Madoka series release touts MUCH smaller files on the discs (and smaller BD discs for that matter) than the Aniplex equivalent. I won't say that the UK/AUS Madoka series release is bad or not yet because I haven't compared yet but it's definitely inferior at least by a small margin.
Of course the Madman release is FAR cheaper so it's up to you to decide which is more important to you, I bought both but not everybody has that luxury.
On a side note the I haven't compared the Madoka movies yet either but I'll confidently say that they're on par or VERY close to the US/JP releases looking at the file sizes

I can't say anything on Kill La Kill as I only own the AUS release, however I'd say we're pretty safe on that front, though I did notice a lot of aliasing in Disc 2- I heard there was some sort of issue in the early UK pressings so I'm not sure if this also affected Madman's release, I haven't taken the time to investigate.
jeff
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In regards to the AOA BD tiles they are region free DB (Kill la Kill, Madoka Series & movies, SAO & The Irregular at Magic High)

R1 DVDs
Current totals DVDs = 3756, Figures = 430, Soundtrack CDs = 1466, Artbooks = 364.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
However I think we don't get Nisekoi on BD here for a reason, the UK release is a violent mess

I'd not heard that. Could you point me somewhere where it's talked about? Unfortunately, the first BD shipped this past week...
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
I can't say anything on Kill La Kill as I only own the AUS release, however I'd say we're pretty safe on that front
The Madman discs are dupes of the All the Anime/Anime Limited discs.
Sylontack
Yoriko Nakaido

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
[..]

The Madman discs are dupes of the All the Anime/Anime Limited discs.

Yes but that's no indication on how they fare against the Aniplex of America discs which is what I'm referring to.
MaikuB
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone getting the black lagoon blu ray set from funimation? interested in getting it but i'm guessing customs might not let it through given it has a working lighter included
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In July I preordered Tsukimonogatari along with the already released Nekomonogatari Black from Right Stuf. Neko Black got shipped in the interim and I was charged for it.

Fast forward to Tsuki's release date. Since I use a debit card and don't keep it flush with funds, the first attempt at charging failled. No biggie. I put the money on and told them to try again.

Here's where things go wacky. For some reason, they cancelled the order and set up a duplicate order for Neko Black and Tsukimonogatari. At first glance, no problem. But then I saw them try to charge me for Tsuki and Neko Black, rather than just Tsuki. As I only paid enough to cover Tsuki, again it failed. And they had already shipped both of them. Meaning, another copy of Nekomonogatari Black was on its way to me; one I hadn't ordered but had been charged for (unsuccessfully). After explaining what had happened, customer service said that when the duplicate order was made, they forgot to mark off the previously shipped item. But if I paid for both of them, they'd set up a return authorisation for the duplicate and I'd get store credit when I returned it.

Last week I added additional money to my card and told them to try again. A couple of days ago I got an email saying they had attempted it and failed, but there's no record of it on the card's online transaction summary, which is usually pretty good with putting these things on it.

And guess what? The parcel with the two items arrived today. Technically, I don't own them. I just need Right Stuf to successfully charge my card. Then the return can be sorted out.

*sigh*
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right Stuf's sale's daily deal for the last day is Umi Monogatari. I pipcked that up as well as A Certain Magical Index II part 2 and the Index Movie: The Miracle of Endymion, as well as preordering Railgun S. Earlier in the sale, the first season of Scientific Railgun was the daily deal, so I ordered that back then.
SquadmemberRitsu
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amazing how throughout the entirety of 2016 not one single person posted in here.

Anyway, totally on a whim I decided to get myself a US copy of OniAi. It has some nostalgic value because it was the first ecchi harem series I watched that I didn't absolutely hate. It wasn't anything amazing but I remember it being quite funny. Plus it was super cheap and Region AB so why not?

This was the first time Funimation ever released a subtitle only series if I recall correctly. Considering the kind of stuff they're willing to dub these days (Including 3 cour kids shows that no one is watching and spectacularly terrible stuff like Divine Gate) it's actually a bit weird that they passed on this one.

I should probably try buying more stuff of Amazon in the future. As much I love to support Madman the price of anime here doesn't exactly encourage impulse buying.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought that I had, but I could've put what I ordered elsewhere.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
u523
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I might make a few orders, having just acquired a region-free blu-ray / DVD player from JB Hi-Fi.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had a bunch come in from the US. Mainly it's been getting new copies from my scratched up copies.

Baccano vol 4 - still in the mail
Gundam 08th MS Team colllection - resent after I was sent Gundam Wing collection 2
Eden of the East tv
The Devil is a Part-timer
Ben-to

I think that I've spent more on dvd's from the US and here in the last few months, than I have over a couple of years.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
u523
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
Gundam 08th MS Team collection

I finally managed to hear:

Arashi no Naka de Kagayaite (嵐の中で輝いて) / Chihiro Yonekura (Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team OP)

at Akira Asakura's 30th anniversary live and will be attending Chihiro Yonekura's birthday acoustic live next month.

There are just so many good Gundam songs.

Page 119 of 119

Jump to: