Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

What Light Novels are you reading thread?

What Light Novels are you reading thread?
Author
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: What Light Novels are you reading thread? Reply with quote
I couldn't find it, so I decided to start one.

I just finished reading Is it Wrong to Try to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon? by Fujino Omori and found it quite funny at times while also very easy to read. It reminded me of the Druaga anime series, but it's interesting as it has gods who do part time jobs etc.

I'm now looking at getting more light novels.

So what's everyone reading now?

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Sir_Jamesalot
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
coppellion
fort of apocalypse
mahou shoujo of the end
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I've stalled, but I'm part-way through Spice and Wolf vol. 9. The other light novel series I'm reading or about to read are Haruhi Suzumiya and Sword Art Online. I'm also looking at starting A Certain Magical Index.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finished Spice and Wolf 9 a few days ago. I was wondering what to read next, so I picked up Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness. I read the entire book today. That can happen when you're away on holidays.

Unlike the first book, there's no series to compare it to. I think this helped, as I recall tha the first book seemed rather condensed compared to the series.

The story essentially delt with Balsa's return to Kanbal to deal with the reasons she left. It's just a shame that Scholastic dropped the series. I'd love for the series to continue. I wonder if Yen Press or someone would consider taking it up.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Talking about Moribito reminded me of haven't watched the anime for awhile.

How are the Spice & Wolf light novels?. I almost picked up the first volume of it when I was at the Kinokuniya on saturday.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pretty good. The plots for the first few are largely stand alone. From about the fifth novel (adapted as the fourth arc of the TV series, they skipped the fourth book) it becomes more of a serialised story, though still episodic. One of the characters in the first book was changed from a man to a woman in the series, I think mostly to even out the sexes in representation. The rest of the series is largely as presented in the books.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. The manga has been following the light novels from what I've read especially with the male character instead of the female character in the first chapters.

I'll have to get at least the first novel this weekend.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got vol 1->3 of Spice and Wolf, so I'll see how the novels fare. From what I've seen of vol 3, it deals with the 2nd season of the anime for part of it. That there are 15 volumes of the light novels currently out, it means I have a long reading list awaiting me.

I'm also looking at getting the Full Metal Panic light novels. Can anyone tell me if they're all out in english or that it's a lost cause in getting them.

The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Season one of the anime covers books 1 & 2, season two covers books 3 & 5. The single-episode story at the start of season two comes from a short story in book 7.

For FMP, Tokyopop published the first five volumes (publishing the two-part fourth and fifth volumes as one, for a total of four books). The fourth book was published not long before TP went pulled out of publishing, so it's fairly rare.

TP also started publishing the Scrapped Princess novels, but only got as far as the third one before dropping the series, which I found annoying.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Vertical have just announced getting the Momogatari light novel series. They're starting with Kizumonogatari. Another series to read. Very Happy
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
Vertical have just announced getting the Momogatari light novel series. They're starting with Kizumonogatari. Another series to read. Very Happy

I didn't realise I wanted this to be licenced until you posted this Razz
I'm very excited, I doubt we'll get Final Season before it's animated but I'll jump on it if we do because it gets hella good there.
Still waiting on Baccano but I'll support Durarara for that one.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind them also getting Katanamonogatari.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Started reading Spice and Wolf volume 1 and am several chapters in it. I've noticed a few differences in the bk from the anime straight off and will be interested to see what changes happen as it goes along.

The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Book one is the most different; books 2, 3 and 5 are all pretty close to what was in the anime. Book 4 was skipped.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm currently reading volume 2 of Is it Wrong to Try to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon? and it makes me really interested in the anime adaption that's being done.

If you look at it in the male/female ages, it's a shota type haremistic series.

Pretty enjoyable though.

The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm reading The Dissociation of Haruhi Suzumiya. About halfway through, and the narative have been split into α and β timelines. They won't be resolved until the double-length finale, The Surprise of Harui Suzumiya. I'll read it straight after this.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read Is It Wrong to Try & Pick up Girls in a Dungeon? vol 3 and that continues to be a rush. A bit more on the background of Bell, but I'm still finding it that it would've been more enjoyable if he wasn't 14, but several years old. Not a real fan of a shota series where everyone from normal people to goddesses are falling for him and he's able to do things that grown people are getting killed at.

It's enjoyable, but I would definitely preferred if he wasn't 14 years old. 16-18 at the very least.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reading book 5 of Is It Wrong to Try to Pick up Girls in a Dungeon? and it continues to be interesting. Still very much a shotacon harem, but it's a little less in this book at present.

strideryb
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Half way through the Your Name, Another Side Earthbound light novel. This fleshes out some of the secondary characters and is quite enjoyable so far.

Just thinking this is the the first non-manga book I've read since June! Time to stop messing around on my phone / tablet for the train rides.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: