Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Concern for anime in Australia

Concern for anime in Australia
Author
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Concern for anime in Australia Reply with quote
Note a: I don't claim to know the entire process and difficulty of licensing a show, if I have any information wrong then please correct me!

Note b: I have no ill will against any Australian anime company, they have all released some gems which I proudly own and will cherish for a long time.

I've been following sites such as AnimeNewsNetwork and the Fandom Post (username digtotheheavens) for a very long time and keep track of licensed shows and dvd/bd releases. Very recently, I've personally seen a much lower anime output in Australia, Hanabee are more focused on Rooster Teeth content/merch, while Madman seem to be picking up newer content for some of their shows such as Danmachi, Mahouka, and Accel World. Siren Visual have dropped off the radar after a staff change only releasing new volumes of Durarara!.

This season on Animelab, outside of long running shonen titles, there are only 3 simulcast titles. all Sentai shows. This is purely speculation on my end so don't take my word as fact, but the Funimation x Crunchyroll partnership, and also Sony's purchase of Funimation have somehow complicated any new license opportunities, possibly of them being busy tying up negotiations?

I believe none of the Crunchyroll licensed titles have made it to Australia via physical release. I've personally been wanting to get my hands on shows such as Mob Psycho 100, Myriad Colours Phantom World, Keijo!!!!!, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (& also Free! season 1), etc. These titles I believe haven't been licensed in the UK either, but someone please correct me if they have been.

I also have a feeling of Sony's purchasing of Funimation have slowed things down for Madman, the first sign being Universal AU releasing My Hero Academia themselves, and more recently Umbrella Entertainment releasing In the Corner of the World in Australia. Also, their newer titles haven't made their way down here either, which I thought shows such as Black Clover and Blood Blockade Battlefront S2 would have been 100% sure hits for Animelab. I have my fingers crossed for Hyouka!

I don't know if anyone shares my concern, but there are some truly great shows which need some love down under, but I feel is being prevented by licensing difficulties. I don't expect any answers as I understand that negotiations are all behind the scenes and are not public, but I would like to hear something at least slightly hopeful.

Thanks for reading!
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Concern for anime in Australia Reply with quote
Sabmabab wrote:
This season on Animelab, outside of long running shonen titles, there are only 3 simulcast titles. all Sentai shows.

Love Live! Sunshine! is Funimation. Granted, with the increase of streaming services, it's hard to keep up with all the simulcasts. I wanted to watch Kabaneri in previous seasons, but also Girls' Last Tour and I think something else this season.
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Concern for anime in Australia Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
Love Live! Sunshine! is Funimation.

Seem to have missed that one! The 3 Sentai titles I saw were UQ Holder, Umaru-chan and My Girlfriend is Shobitch. Yeah I agree I feel simulcasts right now are all over the place, Netflix was another one that I didn't mention in my original post, I'll be using my trial to watch Violet Evergarden when that airs. I don't believe Netflix get in the way of physical releases though, as Funimation have released the Seven Deadly Sins, and Madman/Sentai have done Ajin: Demi Human.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Concern for anime in Australia Reply with quote
I different stance to you on the issue. Certainly Madman's bread and butter is still anime, even though they've had a number of successful art house films in theaters. For example they've released about half a dozen or more anime films to cinemas in the last year and they've embarked on a series of successful anime conventions across the country. Even small conventions have fairly big name seiyu as guests in this county which still blows my mind. Though I agree Siren Visual seems to have not released anything in a long time, Hanabee seems be releasing less.

In a general sense, physical media is on a downward spiral. The problem with Australia is the market is still a niche one and unlike the US video distributors are still required by law to have their material classified, which isn't all that cheap. I wish no ill will on the Australian market, but if you do love your physical media, get a region free BD player. I wouldn't have been able to get Macross Delta or Outlaw Star or Patlabor on BD if I hadn't got one.

With steaming video, it's a bit of a mess at the moment with several companies trying to grab a slice of the action and anime titles being fragmented across a number of sites, some free, some paid or requiring extra payment for anime on top of the initial fee for the site. I really think in the long term Animelab can't compete, which is a goddamn shame as I would rather give my money to them than Crunchyroll (due to their less than ethical origins). I think over time the bubble will burst and Crunchyroll will remain the last one standing. Perhaps the only solution is to get Tunnelbear or some other VPN to dodge the anti-consumer region blocks.

I think eventually you'll have to expand your horizons beyond what is available here if you want to buy anime in any physical release in English or see it on streaming services. However I think we'll still be getting a lot of stuff here for a while yet.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We have 6 simulcasts this season actually. Yes, continuing shows count.
Boruto Naruto Next Generations
Dragon Ball Super
UQ Holder
Umaru R
My Girlfriend is Shobitch
LoveLive! Sunshine!! Season 2. (We go direct with Bandai Visual for our Love Live rights btw)

To be very honest I think we did pretty well. Whilst it is true that we have not been able to grab a hold of some other titles at the end of the day it is better for us to focus on what we can get licensed for what titles are best valued at rather than trying to over pay for a massive amount of titles and never making that money back, that's a faster way to run ourselves out of business in the long run.

What we also have that is stronger than some other platforms are rights to some of the most beloved back catalogue titles as well.

You've made some keen observations, at this point in time we don't have any agreements to distribute any of the Crunchyroll owned titles, however that's not to say we won't be able to in the future. The game is long and staying in it for as long as possible is what we're about rather than over spending on titles just for the sake of having a title.

As others have pointed out we have expanded into other fields in recent years, it's a natural evolution as we look beyond relying solely on home video.

You may have noticed that we have dramatically increased the amount of anime available in cinemas. In 2017 alone we have been responsible for these theatrical releases:

Love LIve! Sunshine!! Aqours First Love Live! ~STEP ZERO to ONE~ Live Viewing
Sword Art Online Ordinal Scale
A Silent Voice
Black Butler Book of the Atlantic
Fireworks
Tokyo Ghoul Live Action
Love Live! Sunshine!! Aqours 2nd Love Live! Happy Party Train Tour Concert Viewing
The Irregular at Magic High School
Fate/stay night The Movie [Heaven's Feel] I, presage flower
No Game No LIfe: Zero
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Live Action (Madfest/ ACMI only)
Eureka Seven Hi Evolution 1 (ACMI only)
Accel World: Infinite Burst! (ACMI only)

12 titles! Unheard of in previous years.

We will also start off 2018 with Studio Ponoc's Mary and the Witch's Flower

We have also started to run our own Anime Festival events in 3 major cities, again no easy feat. We've always positioned ourselves as being by fans for fans and our current goals lie in connecting with fans a lot more as well.

The future is bright and with these 4 pillars of our core business we believe we will continue to bring you guys some of the best anime experiences in Australia for many more years to come. Thank you for your support.
strideryb
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

You may have noticed that we have dramatically increased the amount of anime available in cinemas. In 2017 alone we have been responsible for these theatrical releases:

12 titles! Unheard of in previous years.

I though you did awesome this year too with the films. Not sure if other states were the same, but here in WA you also got these films into a lot more cinemas for more screenings which was awesome.

Earlier films years ago (e.g. Spirited Away, Howls Moving Castle, Ponyo) were only shown in a few locations (Hoyts Carousel and Luna Leederville) for a few sessions each. Fairly certain Hoyts was dub only too.

Your Name (Late 2016) and A Silent Voice were in the local cinemas, and running constant sessions for a week or two. And the cinemas were running both Japanese and English language versions. Never thought I'd see a sub Anime film in Joondalup.

Didn't you also get all the Evangelion films replaying this year too including a marathon? (Google says July but I missed them)

Madfest Perth had way more attendance than I was expecting. Hope it was enough so it'll come back in 2018.
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Whilst it is true that we have not been able to grab a hold of some other titles at the end of the day it is better for us to focus on what we can get licensed for what titles are best valued at rather than trying to over pay for a massive amount of titles and never making that money back, that's a faster way to run ourselves out of business in the long run. What we also have that is stronger than some other platforms are rights to some of the most beloved back catalogue titles as well.

That's a good perspective to see it, one thing I didn't think about at the time of writing my original post is the number of catalog titles being added, and also titles from Hanabee, Sony Universal, etc. The effort is certainly being put in!

Slykura wrote:
You've made some keen observations, at this point in time we don't have any agreements to distribute any of the Crunchyroll owned titles, however that's not to say we won't be able to in the future. The game is long and staying in it for as long as possible is what we're about rather than over spending on titles just for the sake of having a title. As others have pointed out we have expanded into other fields in recent years, it's a natural evolution as we look beyond relying solely on home video.

Very reasonable reason, personally for me it's uplifting that the crunchyroll titles are likely still on the radar for whenever they do become available. I've been purchasing titles since 2009 and things have certainly changed over time, and I think Madman have done well adjusting to current trends, such as the rise in popularity for conventions. I think it's fair to say (and something I should remember from now!) is that Madman is now so much more than just a dvd distributor.

Slykura wrote:
You may have noticed that we have dramatically increased the amount of anime available in cinemas. In 2017 alone we have been responsible for these theatrical releases: 12 titles! Unheard of in previous years.

I have definitely noticed, as back the day the extent of anime in cinema was during the Reel Anime showings every 2 years, and now I see many anime films as part of regular cinema showings! This was also something that at the time of writing I didn't really think about, I have been to quite a few when I had a chance to go, and the experience is something you truly can't get at home.

Thank you Sly for taking the time to reply, and for the insight. This makes me feel a little more hopeful for possibilities in the future, and I wish Madman all the best! Smile

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: