Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The Official "I'm going to Japan, help pls" thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
The Official "I'm going to Japan, help pls" thread
Author
Kuu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Attended Animelo Summer Live 2016 at the end of August and also saw Makoto Shinkai's "Your Name" at a 9am session on opening day (24 August).

Have booked to arrive in Japan on 18 November and leave on 28 November - Tokyo/Yokohama, Fukuoka, Nishinomiya, Nagoya. Anime music concerts most nights over there.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
u523 wrote:
Have booked to arrive in Japan on 18 November and leave on 28 November - Tokyo/Yokohama, Fukuoka, Nishinomiya, Nagoya. Anime music concerts most nights over there.

Attended Club Mogra in Akihabara for an I'VE SOUND show, then flew to Fukuoka to see Kaori Hikita live - she sang "Namae no nai Michi" 「名前のない道」from the anime Amatsuki for me.

Next day took the shinkansen to Shin-Kobe then local trains to Hankyu Nishinomiya Gardens shopping centre for a Kalafina mini-live, then on to Tokyo for a live show at AKIHABARA SIXTEEN.

Also saw Akira Asakura with guests at Tsutaya O-West, Animax Musix Yokohama, Chiaki Ishikawa, jazz pianist Hiromi Uehara, Miho Morikawa (Blue Water), Yuuho Iwasato (lyricist for songs such as Genesis of Aquarion), and Aira Yuuki (AKKA13 ED) backed by Lisa Komine (Gosick EDs) and Shinji Kakijima (insert songs for Tokyo Ravens).

Next trip, Tokyo and Nagoya - Chiaki Ishikawa x2, Video Game Orchestra, Miu Sakamoto, Lisa Komine.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
u523 wrote:
Next trip, Tokyo and Nagoya - Chiaki Ishikawa x2, Video Game Orchestra, Miu Sakamoto, Lisa Komine.

Also saw May'n at Namba Hatch, Osaka, stayed two nights in Tatsumikan Onsen, Kamimoku, Gunma and visited the Joetsu glass factory nearby, did a quick trip to Niigata, and attended a live show presented by Mishio Suzuki.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last trip was in late March. Missed hanami by a week, but Shinjuku Gyoen had early blooming varieties and Ueno park had plenty of people out enjoying the early blooms. Toshogu Shrine and Benten-do really cashing in with tons of food stalls.

Did two fan things I've always wanted to do; Nipponbashi Street Festa in Namba, Osaka;

And the following Sunday I went to AnimeJapan 2017;

I want to do Comiket 93 (winter), but not 100% sure, especially traveling after the new year and how busy that's going to be.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
Last trip was in late March.
And the following Sunday I went to AnimeJapan 2017;
I want to do Comiket 93 (winter), but not 100% sure, especially traveling after the new year and how busy that's going to be.

It would have been good to have gone to M3 (doujin CD fair) yesterday, 30th April 2017, but at least I have now booked another trip for June to catch Chiaki Ishikawa in concert again and whatever else I can find on around then.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
For August 2017 I have a ticket to see Nana Mizuki starring in Beautiful - The Carole King Musical, another Chiaki Ishikawa live, and Animelo Summer Live 2017.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
u523 wrote:
For August 2017 I have a ticket to see Nana Mizuki starring in Beautiful - The Carole King Musical, another Chiaki Ishikawa live, and Animelo Summer Live 2017.

Quick question, do you ever go to the Anime Festival Asia events? It was originally an anime festival based in Singapore, but seems to have morphed into a touring anisong festival across South East Asia.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
[..]
Quick question, do you ever go to the Anime Festival Asia events? It was originally an anime festival based in Singapore, but seems to have morphed into a touring anisong festival across South East Asia.

I'm on their email contact list but haven't been to anything. Sometimes I get reports from friends who live in those countries. The audiences sound like they are rowdier than Japanese audiences, and the ticketing systems aren't quite as fair as the Japanese ticketing.

Another promoter of live music of anime is ED Productions in Hong Kong, and some Japanese acts also visit events in China.

PS, off to Japan again for a few days starting Thursday 15 June.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Safely back yesterday, rainy season hit seriously on 21st June with even the Tokaido Shinkansen getting service suspended due to rain.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have a few more live shows organised for my August trip:

Chihiro Yonekura, Linked Horizon being the main ones, plus Lisa Komine (still the sweetest anime singer that I have met: https://www.madman.com.au/actions/fanzone/gallery.do?method=viewGalleryItem&galleryItemId=265194&galleryId=4).

If I knew how big my tax return would be I might have tried for a Minori Chihara Summer Dream concert at Kawaguchiko Stellar Theater (the back of the stage can open up revealing Mount Fuji in the background) and also the Persona Live concert.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
August trip almost over.

Saw Lisa Komine who sang the Tokyo Ravens insert song Red Monochrome for me, Kalafina mini live at Venus Fort Odaiba, Kaori Oda mini live and autograph session at Tower Records Kawasaki, Kanako Ito with Zizz band live, Linked Horizon, Chihiro Yonekura acoustic live, Chiaki Ishikawa with piano live, and Animelo Summer Live 2017.

Watched NHK World's J-Melo with MayJ last Monday for interviews with Garnidelia and Kalafina and found myself mentioned in connection with the anime the anime The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya which lead to MayJ crossing to Minori Chihara.

Fast forward to last Friday and Animelo Summer Live 2017 opened with Minori Chihara, Aya Hirano and Yuko Goto singing and dancing Hare Hare Yukai, then later Minori Chihara singing Yuki, Muon, Madobe, Nite, the Yuki Nagato character song.

So there will be a third season of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Last edited by u523 on Sun May 20, 2018 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chihiro Yonekura sent me some replies in perfect English after her concert.

Also enjoyed 3 smaller shows with unsigned artists doing a mixture of anime songs plus originals.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
November trip didn't have so many concerts, missed Joelle (Sound Horizon, FF XIII-2) due to a flight booking mix-up.

Did attend a Nana Mizuki fan club event at Saitama Super Arena with special guest Ichirou Mizuki (they dueted Mazinger-Z), plus Kalafina acoustic live in Sapporo (Hokkaido was brilliant) and Animax Musix Yokohama.

Hoping to next visit Japan in April 2018.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trip number 18 flights booked, late March - early April 2018.

So far only Chiaki Ishikawa lives confirmed, May'n concert goes on general sale in February.

Hopefully I can get reasonable hotel bookings in spite of Sakura season...
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trip 18 did include Chiaki Ishikawa, May'n and also included Kaori Hikita (who sang the Tales of Symphonia Sylvarant-hen ED for me), LieN (.hack games OSTs) and a circuit of Hokkaido.

Trip 19 is in July 2018 - Yuki Kajiura Live vol.#14 shows including Joelle from Sound Horizon / Linked Horizon and Aira Yuuki (Violet Evergarden insert song singer) plus Chiaki Ishikawa and anything else I can find.

Trip 20 will be August for Animelo Summer Live and possibly Aki Misato (who sang the Mai Hime ED).
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know if anyone is aware, but the so called "Minpaku Law" goes into effect from mid June. Essentially the law was meant to make it a lot easier to list AirBnB apartments, however it's just made things worse. Owners have to jump through a series hoops; approval from the government, complying with some absurd local regulations depending on the ward and then getting permission from the body corporate.

The vast majority of AirBnB listings have been taken down. My booking for late July/early August was cancelled as the owner hadn't got the paper work in time. I have a couple of other options up my sleeve. Don't want to use hostels or business hotels, mainly due to the sub standard air-con (I just can't sleep if they're constantly running it at 24°C like the did in the ones I stayed at in Kyushu!). I'm banking on a real estate agent run serviced apartment who I previously contacted before I knew about the Minpaku Law. They asked me to contact them again in early July. Gonna cost me an additional $1000, maybe.

The other option is to cancel the trip and I'll go to AFA Singapore in December instead, then do Wonfes and Comiket 96 in summer 2019 when the AirBnB stuff has settled down. This sucks and is really dumb. The Olympics are coming up and they are already short in terms of hotel rooms for that event. I understand that the locals don't like the tourists, but this isn't helping anyone and it's pretty shortsighted I think. Add in the fact there is a glut of empty houses in the Japanese market which estate agents can't fill.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Managed to get an apartment in Kamata which is way out in Ota ward. Unsurprisingly it's a lot cheaper than the one I had canceled in Kanda. It's on the JR Keihin-Tohoku line, which goes through Yokohama, Shinagawa, Tokyo, Akihabara and Ueno, so it's pretty convenient. Only an additional transfer and in most cases only adds maybe 15 mins on to all the stations I need to go to. There are still quite a few AirBnB listings out there which surprised me.

This time I'm going to Wonder Festival Summer 2018 and Comic Market 94, plus as many local festivals and fireworks as I can pack in. Not 100% sure if I'm really ready for the heat, humidity and Comiket... There's a cluster of anime shops just around the corner from my apartment, so I'm hoping the local Gamers will have the Comiket Catalogue and the Wonfes ticket/catalogue in stock so I won't have to go to Akihabara.

Page 24 of 24

Jump to: