Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releasing anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releasing anime
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's quite **** when we don't see Blu-Ray releases for recent anime, Tokyo Ravens should be and Madman have been doing it more and more while horrible pieces like Nobunagun and Freezing do.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
chris-of-penrith wrote:
Tokyo Ravens being released 27th august

One still needs to get the Japanese limited edition releases to get the soundtrack and gems like Lisa Komine's "Red Monochrome" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi4eVMQFUaM
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not Universal but I didn't want to make a new thread-
I'm in Tasmania at the moment and I was just browsing a Sanity store and apparently the Warner Bros. release of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Season 1 is out on DVD in Australia- rating and all. I had no idea of this and was shocked to find it on the shelf. Doesn't appear to be on JB's website and this is the first I'd heard of it coming out here.

Just thought it might be of interest to some. I'm still holding out for a possible Blu-Ray, I mean they do dealings with Viz in the US so I've got my fingers crossed.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
I'm in Tasmania at the moment and I was just browsing a Sanity store and apparently the Warner Bros. release of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Season 1 is out on DVD in Australia- rating and all.

Thanks, I've seen the larger than life singer "TOMMY" - Hiroaki Tominaga live twice (on the left in the photo below):

Animelo Summer Live 2013:
JoJo ~ Sono Chi no Sadame ~/ Hiroaki TOMMY Tominaga (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OP)

Animelo Summer Live 2014:
JoJo ~Sono Chi no Sadame~ ~ BLOODY STREAM ~ STAND PROUD / JO☆STARS (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OP)
JoJo Sono Chi no Kioku ~end of THE WORLD~ / JO☆STARS (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure OP)

https://twitter.com/bonyari45/status/638109348611264513

アニサマ2015 THE GATE 最高の舞台、最高なお客様、JO☆STARSで歌えて幸せだ!今日出逢った総ての人に感謝。

The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
I'm in Tasmania at the moment and I was just browsing a Sanity store and apparently the Warner Bros. release of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Season 1 is out on DVD in Australia- rating and all. I had no idea of this and was shocked to find it on the shelf. Doesn't appear to be on JB's website and this is the first I'd heard of it coming out here.

Just thought it might be of interest to some. I'm still holding out for a possible Blu-Ray, I mean they do dealings with Viz in the US so I've got my fingers crossed.

Thing is, Warner Bros. released it in the U.S., not Viz. So since it's not getting a Blu-ray release there, it won't get one here. I guess we're lucky it got a subtitled release rather than just a basic dub release.

EDIT - I saw it listed on EzyDVD yesterday under "coming soon", but I didn't pursue it too much, as I was looking for other stuff.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
[..]

Thing is, Warner Bros. released it in the U.S., not Viz. So since it's not getting a Blu-ray release there, it won't get one here. I guess we're lucky it got a subtitled release rather than just a basic dub release.

EDIT - I saw it listed on EzyDVD yesterday under "coming soon", but I didn't pursue it too much, as I was looking for other stuff.

Yeah but I believe Warner owns Viz as of the last few years and I think they've sort of "shared" some releases per se. I think they did with some of the Tiger and Bunny releases at least. I mean I acknowledge it's unlikely but I'm hoping nonetheless.

EDIT: corrected a typo, my phone really forces its corrections when posting in forums.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Warner is Viz's distributor. They in no way shape or form own Viz Media. Much like how Universal are Funimation's distributor in the US.

All this means is that their discs are being distributed via their warehouses and can be ordered from Warner / Universal etc.

Much like how Madman distribute on behalf of Via Vision

Source:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2008-12-17/viz-media-and-warner-home-video-forge-distribution-alliance

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-06-23/funimation-universal-pictures-enter-distribution-agreement/.89621
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Warner is Viz's distributor. They in no way shape or form own Viz Media. Much like how Universal are Funimation's distributor in the US.

All this means is that their discs are being distributed via their warehouses and can be ordered from Warner / Universal etc.

Much like how Madman distribute on behalf of Via Vision

Source:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2008-12-17/viz-media-and-warner-home-video-forge-distribution-alliance

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-06-23/funimation-universal-pictures-enter-distribution-agreement/.89621

My bad, I assumed their alliance implied a closer business relationship than there actually was.
The Tragic Man
Tomoyo Daidouji

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Universal/Sony released The Heroic Legend of Arslan S1 P1 in BD/DVD combo form today. I had sort of given up on it having any form of Australian release, seeing as it was not made available for streaming anywhere.

Also released was The Fruit of Grisaia and Rage of Bahamut, both DVD only.
lostone1993
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
Universal/Sony released The Heroic Legend of Arslan S1 P1 in BD/DVD combo form today. I had sort of given up on it having any form of Australian release, seeing as it was not made available for streaming anywhere.

also seraph of the end part 1 BD/DVD
slasher000
BT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:

so many more i need to buy now.
mikezilla2
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
who has Metropolis these days ? what would it take to get a BD of that out here ?
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems Sony Universal are now releasing anime here using standard DVD/BD cases.

Black Clover Season 1 Part 1 DVD
My Hero Academia Season 1 DVD
My Hero Academia Season 1 BD
My Hero Academia Season 2 Part 1 DVD
My Hero Academia Season 2 Part 1 BD
My Hero Academia Season 2 Part 2 DVD
My Hero Academia Season 2 Part 2 BD

I wonder if their back catalog will be getting the same treatment, I have a bit of a pet peeve regarding dvd sized cases for blu-ray releases personally. It would be a good opportunity for series like Index/Railgun to get a blu-ray release down here!
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sabmabab wrote:
I wonder if their back catalog will be getting the same treatment, I have a bit of a pet peeve regarding dvd sized cases for blu-ray releases personally. It would be a good opportunity for series like Index/Railgun to get a blu-ray release down here!

My Hero Academia releases and Black Clover are releases that are only happening because Funimation is pushing for these titles to be released in Australia through Sony, since Sony owns Funimation. The same thing is happening to these titles in the UK, as well as Attack on Titan and Yuri on Ice over there.

USPHE's back catalogue are all NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan titles, and they probably won't get the same treatment since Universal seems to have given up on releasing these titles (no signs for Drifters and Berserk 2016 releases, and Bakuon, Netoge, Arslan S2, which were originally licensed by Universal were picked up by Madman in Australia/MVM in UK), and also nobody is pushing for these titles to be reprinted or re-released. So, for these NBCUni titles, it seems that they won't reprint since these titles were acquired differently, and also released differently.

I think it's important to distinguish the Funimation acquired USPHE titles from the NBCUni Japan acquired USPHE titles due to this.
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
I think it's important to distinguish the Funimation acquired USPHE titles from the NBCUni Japan acquired USPHE titles due to this.

Very good points that didn't cross my mind at the time of posting, cheers for enlightening me! This seems to be true as stack.com.au are listing In Another World With My Smartphone, and Yuri!!! On Ice for 17th October, both being Funi titles (Crunchyroll/Funimation to be specific).
mikezilla2
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Black Clover err whos going to PUSH blu rays ?

i see pre order listings for drifters on Zavvi

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: