Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Do you prefer streaming or physically owning Anime?

Do you prefer streaming or physically owning Anime?
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Do you prefer streaming or physically owning Anime? Reply with quote
Legally of course.

Over the years it's become a bit of both for me. Though, I still like to own physical copies because it's the still the best option in terms of quality.

Streaming on the other hand is more convenient and doesn't take up space. Plus, it's nice to be able to watch an episode as soon as it's available.
Smile
strideryb
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In an ideal world, I'd prefer physical media.

However, I don't have as much time as I used to when younger, so rarely can get the TV & DVD for a half hour block. So tend to watch most things on streaming when much easier to do it in 10 minutes at a time on public transport.
Also low on storage space for physical collection.

If I get a really good vibe of a series in first episode, I'll stop watching and wait for the DVD.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Both. Streaming for an immediate delivery and a first pass to tell if a series is worth getting, physical copy for long term because streaming licenses can and do expire.
SquadmemberRitsu
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh I absolutely prefer owning over streaming. But I'm not wasting money on hunks of plastic containing shows I don't even like that much that I'll never watch more than once.

Streaming just allows me to watch way more stuff. Currently airing shows, shows that are 'just okay' but not worth dropping $60 on, bad shows that I still feel compelled to watch to the end, that kind of stuff.

Sometimes you also get shows like Haruhi and Cardcaptor Sakura that have 1080p Blu-ray rips from US releases up on Animelab while the releases are still DVD only. I mean... I still own those shows on DVD. But my next re-watch is probably gonna be through Animelab.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In terms of today's tech its physical, digital or streaming.
And when it comes to online its either 'Buy' or 'Rent'
But most anime isn't rent and so you have to go to streaming sites.
And then when it comes to streaming sites its pay for dubs but subs are free when registering an account to the streaming site.

I prefer physical media when collecting anime but I will go streaming if wondering whether to buy a series or to watch a series I can't buy yet.

Digital...this a new for me but something quite considering on certain series that you can't get in physical anymore so I do hope there is a way of getting some series digitally remastered or released as digital when its out of stock for physical.

When it comes to rental I use to rent DVD's but now there's no more DVD rental stores and the only option is streaming services or buy or rent from iTunes store.
I now have an Apple TV 4K device that lets me watch iTunes material on my TV. Very Happy

But I do find you can only rent movies and you can't rent TV series on iTunes as there 'buy only' option.

Most anime is considered 'TV series' so its hard to be able to rent anime as you can only buy the episodes one by one or buy the entire season on iTunes.
Then it comes to choosing to stream it on a service such as AnimeLab or Crunchyroll if you I can't rent it off iTunes.

But I like to have more options on availability to get it where I can.
Note: you can even get some anime off Playstation network store...which is another option for Digital.

But in the end you still rather physical media to go back on even though there are pros and cons of everything from availability to storage.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Physically owning my anime. Even though I hate when I have the discs scratched, I love watching them on the TV and portable DVD player. Some are Ltd ed versions and the extras can be a huge bonus.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
For me it's definitely owning them physically. I can't add much which hasn't already been said, but with blu-rays I own it permanently, with the least amount of compression and 5.1 (Crunchyroll and Funimation streams are 2.0). The internet in my area was extremely poor until January of this year when NBN finally got installed here, so constant streaming was a bit of a hassle for a long time, although the plus side to streaming is that I can watch it much earlier and see if it's worth a purchase. For the record I have subscriptions to Crunchyroll, Animelab and Funimation, and they help to watch shows that are dvd-only here, but the shows aren't always gonna be available for online streaming due to licensing.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: