Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Would you be able to accept Anime going all digital?



Would you be able to accept Anime going all digital?
Author
Message
Speeny
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 142
Location: Sydney

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Would you be able to accept Anime going all digital? Reply with quote
As in, no more physical releases?

I could. I like my collection, but streaming is a much more comfortable experience for me.


Last edited by Speeny on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova


Joined: 04 Mar 2004
Posts: 2377
Location: QBN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it's inevitable. I think even Japan will go all streaming and will probably eventually not be broadcast on TV (except for popular family stuff like Detective Conan, Crayon Shin-chan, Chibi Maruko-chan etc). The video market really seems to be collapsing over there. Was really surprised to get the entire second season of "Love Live! Sunshine!!", second hand, for a measly ¥10,000 when I was over there last year.

But the big issue for me is that anime will eventually expire on various streaming platforms, not be renewed and with no physical media a lot of this material will be lost forever. It's already happened to numerous titles released in the 1980's, mostly stuff from the OVA market. That was mainly due to companies going bankrupt, no one knowing who owned the rights to shows or masters degrading or going missing. But unless fans archive and save this stuff, I can see it happening to many anime series, especially when so much stuff is released every season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Speeny
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 142
Location: Sydney

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
I think it's inevitable. I think even Japan will go all streaming and will probably eventually not be broadcast on TV (except for popular family stuff like Detective Conan, Crayon Shin-chan, Chibi Maruko-chan etc). The video market really seems to be collapsing over there. Was really surprised to get the entire second season of "Love Live! Sunshine!!", second hand, for a measly ¥10,000 when I was over there last year.

But the big issue for me is that anime will eventually expire on various streaming platforms, not be renewed and with no physical media a lot of this material will be lost forever. It's already happened to numerous titles released in the 1980's, mostly stuff from the OVA market. That was mainly due to companies going bankrupt, no one knowing who owned the rights to shows or masters degrading or going missing. But unless fans archive and save this stuff, I can see it happening to many anime series, especially when so much stuff is released every season.

Very true points and it's a lot to think about.

Thanks for your response. This forum sometimes seems a little dry so it's nice when I get replies to topics every now and then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Speeny
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 142
Location: Sydney

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
I think it's inevitable. I think even Japan will go all streaming and will probably eventually not be broadcast on TV (except for popular family stuff like Detective Conan, Crayon Shin-chan, Chibi Maruko-chan etc). The video market really seems to be collapsing over there. Was really surprised to get the entire second season of "Love Live! Sunshine!!", second hand, for a measly ¥10,000 when I was over there last year.

But the big issue for me is that anime will eventually expire on various streaming platforms, not be renewed and with no physical media a lot of this material will be lost forever. It's already happened to numerous titles released in the 1980's, mostly stuff from the OVA market. That was mainly due to companies going bankrupt, no one knowing who owned the rights to shows or masters degrading or going missing. But unless fans archive and save this stuff, I can see it happening to many anime series, especially when so much stuff is released every season.
The question is, how soon? I think maybe in the next 10-15 years. Maybe sooner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova


Joined: 04 Mar 2004
Posts: 2377
Location: QBN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Speeny wrote:
The question is, how soon? I think maybe in the next 10-15 years. Maybe sooner.

A lot sooner. Eventually Madman will stop releasing discs, maybe within a couple of years. The market is just too small and niche here. I think boutique video labels in the US and UK like Discotek will survive for a few more years. I think we'll have more movies on physical home video, not so many TV series. Finding fewer and fewer blu-rays for pre-order on the Right Stuf website and more and more figures and merchandise. Even Right Stuf really haven't licenced and released anything themselves for a long while. It's mostly sub-licenced stuff, Gundam titles or for Shout Factory.

The big shock to me though are the movements in the Japanese industry. 5,000 units or so sold per volume is now considered a hit whereas it used to be around three to five times that and a few thousands used to be a flop. The packaging on recent Japanese releases can look and feel a bit cheaper now days, and they are releasing quite a few shows as half series box sets on their first run rather than individual volumes with two to four episodes each.

Many of the big retailers in Japan like Yodobashi Camera and Bic Camera are no longer selling CDs in some stores and physical home video sections are noticeably smaller. Think physical media will be virtually gone over there within five years, except maybe for popular films and musical acts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel


Joined: 19 Apr 2005
Posts: 7109
Location: Tamworth, NSW

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you be able to accept Anime going all digital? Reply with quote
Speeny wrote:
As in, no more physical releases?

I could. I like my collection, but streaming is a much more comfortable experience for me.


Not at all. Streaming services (and digital lockers) go bust (like Ultraviolet), series/movies get removed. To be able to access and watch the greatest range of material is too expensive. I’d rather have a collection that I can access at will, and not have some company dictate how or where, or even if I watch it.
_________________
Nullus Anxietas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Speeny
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 142
Location: Sydney

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you be able to accept Anime going all digital? Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
[..]



Not at all. Streaming services (and digital lockers) go bust (like Ultraviolet), series/movies get removed. To be able to access and watch the greatest range of material is too expensive. I’d rather have a collection that I can access at will, and not have some company dictate how or where, or even if I watch it.


Animelab & Crunchyroll are heavy hitters at the moment. I think it's gonna happen fairly soon. Possibly the same situation with video games too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kirben
Nene Romanova


Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 2328
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, hopefully it never happens.

While the range of titles is improving over time, there are still far too many titles (especially older series), which are region restricted, and not available to Australia. If you expand to cartoons in general, major companies like Disney and Warner Bros. still can't be bothered to offer their series locally.

Also there is the problem of exclusives requiring people to subscribe to a certain service to see specific series (i.e. Dororo on Amazon Prime). This will be worse, as more and more companies (i.e. Disney) start offering their own services in the future.

Finally there is the problem of services failing to renew licenses or partnerships ending, resulting in major changes to the available tiles (i.e. Funimation and Cruncyroll).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino


Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Posts: 11680
Location: Sydney Suzuki GSX1250FA Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If MM does go that way, then I won't be getting any more of their titles. You only have to look at the music industry where viynl has made a huge comeback and talk of the ITunes Store closing.

I much prefer the physical copy of my anime.
_________________
Motorcycling - You don't need an excuse to ride, but you need an excuse not to ride.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon


Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I personally don't think anime will go fully digital mainly because anime fans are so different to most other media. Anime fans still have a well dedicated group who loves Blu-rays because there's bonuses like OVAs that aren't available on streaming services, and Blu-ray sales for anime aren't dropping as much as other genres.

Not only that, physical bonuses like artbooks, production notes, sketches, storyboards, etc are something that digital can never replace.

I do think however that Madman will need to change how they release titles though. In my opinion, they should focus more on collectors who want physical artbooks or notes etc, and release high quality sets. (Similar to what Anime Limited does in the UK)

Also, streaming isn't always fully accessible and always there. AnimeLab lost streaming rights to Iron Blooded Orphans, and I can't watch Aho Girl down under because nobody streams it here. Digital locker services and stores usually have a lot of DRM which locks you down to limited devices or programs. And digital doesn't include bonuses like OVAs or interviews/etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Speeny
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 142
Location: Sydney

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
I personally don't think anime will go fully digital mainly because anime fans are so different to most other media. Anime fans still have a well dedicated group who loves Blu-rays because there's bonuses like OVAs that aren't available on streaming services, and Blu-ray sales for anime aren't dropping as much as other genres.

Not only that, physical bonuses like artbooks, production notes, sketches, storyboards, etc are something that digital can never replace.

I do think however that Madman will need to change how they release titles though. In my opinion, they should focus more on collectors who want physical artbooks or notes etc, and release high quality sets. (Similar to what Anime Limited does in the UK)

Also, streaming isn't always fully accessible and always there. AnimeLab lost streaming rights to Iron Blooded Orphans, and I can't watch Aho Girl down under because nobody streams it here. Digital locker services and stores usually have a lot of DRM which locks you down to limited devices or programs. And digital doesn't include bonuses like OVAs or interviews/etc.
I'm just wondering though, do many people in Australia buy physically anymore? It seems like it's become a very small number of us that do. (I guess it technically always has been that way, but maybe more so than before.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
strideryb
Minawa Andou


Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 542
Location: Perth, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can see (mostly) streaming only being quite soon. I would be mostly streaming it if the data connection on my public transport commute didn't turn to total crap 6 months ago.

As others say, I can see physical products mostly being phased out and being more niche (Collector's editions, physical add ons, Lots of extra's on movies etc).
Maybe more "classic" title re-released via a pre-order system to gauge demand (Similar to Otaku no Video 1982 on Kickstarter a few years ago)

I didn't know that even Japan physical media is dying off as Greoboruri said. Maybe soon all the money in physical products will be in licencing. "This anime sponsored by bikini figures of all the main characters" Or is it already that way?

Edit: Don't know if it's just my circle getting older, but declutter (i.e. get rid of stuff) is really the buzz term lately. Most have got rid of their CD / normal DVD / book collections . Which also works against physical media if widespread.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova


Joined: 04 Mar 2004
Posts: 2377
Location: QBN

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
strideryb wrote:
I didn't know that even Japan physical media is dying off as Greoboruri said. Maybe soon all the money in physical products will be in licencing. "This anime sponsored by bikini figures of all the main characters" Or is it already that way?
Sort of feels that way. Noticed a lot less new DVDs and blu-rays, more figures (like thousands of the things...). What got me though was the lack of books, mostly the illustration collections (i.e. art books). K-Books in Radio Kaikan is "books" in name only. They have the ero doujinshi (of course), but the rest of the shop is nothing but merchandise and thousands of figures. Certainly wasn't like that the year I had previously visited. It was mostly manga, illustration collections, setting material books etc, doujinshi and limited merchandise.

The various Trader second hand stores, Lashinbang in Akiba Culture Zone, Monkey Soft and of course Book Off still sell a lot of second hand anime blu-ray and DVD though in Akihabara.

strideryb wrote:
Don't know if it's just my circle getting older, but declutter (i.e. get rid of stuff) is really the buzz term lately. Most have got rid of their CD / normal DVD / book collections
*Shakes fist at Marie Kondo*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lostone1993
Lin Minmay


Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 248
Location: On the Coast of NSW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Would you be able to accept Anime going all digital? Reply with quote
Speeny wrote:
As in, no more physical releases?

I could. I like my collection, but streaming is a much more comfortable experience for me.


I could not, I enjoy my anime but the main value for me is the disc, in theory I could be 90 and the disc could still work, I highly doubt it would be easy to stream then.
I mean I still go back watch the first Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Panic

if I could only watch an anime as a stream, the max I would be willing to pay would be $5 but I am happy to pay $60 for a disc that I can use whenever I want

of course one of the other problems I can see with this is actually piracy, not getting too far into it but if I wanted I can very easily download an anime episode off a website but getting the same thing off a disc would take me much longer

I know this is the way the world is going but I am going to resist until the very end as well you can call me strange but seeing my collection of disc on display in a shelf actually make me quite happy, its kinda like a physical journey though my experience of anime you can see the one I like the most from the wear and tear and you can kinda see how my tastes have changed over time. you can't get that with a streaming library

but you know I could be just a weirdo
_________________
The Tragic Man
You couldn't find them because the toggle for them doesn't exist. You have to type it yourself. It's the word spoiler in the [] and [/] tags.
....eh I need something to remind me
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Speeny
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 142
Location: Sydney

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Would you be able to accept Anime going all digital? Reply with quote
lostone1993 wrote:


I can agree 100%. But I've just accepted the fact that the industry will move to all digital someday soon. Will I keep my physical collection? Most likely for as long as I can. Razz


Last edited by Speeny on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon


Joined: 29 May 2018
Posts: 95

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Even if it goes fully digital, I still hope companies do release something physical that we can show off. Like if a company releases a small booklet instead of disc and includes a code to redeem (kinda like Funimation codes), I would be content with going more digital.

But there's something about not having something physical that you can touch and show off that breaks it for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Speeny
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 142
Location: Sydney

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
Even if it goes fully digital, I still hope companies do release something physical that we can show off. Like if a company releases a small booklet instead of disc and includes a code to redeem (kinda like Funimation codes), I would be content with going more digital.

But there's something about not having something physical that you can touch and show off that breaks it for me.


Good points.


Last edited by Speeny on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
u523
Kuu


Joined: 07 Oct 2008
Posts: 1330
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't buy much, but if it's something that fits the category of "I'd like to see it again sometime when I feel like it" or something that you would like to watch with a friend or lend to a friend, having a physical copy to start with is better than hoping that something will be available streaming sometime in the future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sleepingbunny
Doraemon


Joined: 24 Nov 2013
Posts: 20

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can accept anime going all digital, but only on the condition that it provides a similar (or superior) level of freedom and security as my physical media.

That is: I OWN any shows/movies I buy, and I can stream or download them indefinitely.

No strings attached, and ideally no DRM (in case the platform goes under).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Speeny
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 142
Location: Sydney

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
sleepingbunny wrote:
I can accept anime going all digital, but only on the condition that it provides a similar (or superior) level of freedom and security as my physical media.

That is: I OWN any shows/movies I buy, and I can stream or download them indefinitely.

No strings attached, and ideally no DRM (in case the platform goes under).

Yeah. These are the conditions I'd want too, honestly. I think that'd be the way for everyone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:      

Page 1 of 1


Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum