Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Madman/Funimation October 2019 anime releases

Madman/Funimation October 2019 anime releases
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Madman/Funimation October 2019 anime releases Reply with quote
Madman:
Attack on Titan - Season 3 Part 1 (Eps 1-12)
Attack on Titan - Season 3 Part 1 (Eps 1-12) (Blu-ray)
Attack on Titan - Season 3 Part 1 (Eps 1-12) DVD/Blu-ray Combo (Limited Edition)
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Part 2 (Eps 14-26 + OVA) (Blu-ray)
Concrete Revolutio Complete Series (Eps 1-24) (Blu-ray)
Dragon Ball Super Collection 2
Dragon Ball Super Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
Hellsing Ultimate Complete Collection (Limited Edition)
Hellsing Ultimate Complete Collection (Limited Edition) Blu-ray
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Set 4: Diamond is Unbreakable Part 1 (Eps 1-20) (Blu-ray)
Makoto Shinkai Classics: Voices of a Distant Star / 5 Centimetres per Second (Blu-ray)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 35th Anniversary Ltd Edition (Blu-ray & DVD Combo with Artbook)
Penguin Highway (Blu-ray)
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars (Season 5) Part 1 (Eps 167-183)
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars (Season 5) Part 1 (Eps 167-183) (Blu-ray)
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars (Season 5) Part 1 (Eps 167-183) Limited Edition
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars (Season 5) Part 1 (Eps 167-183) Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
Steins;Gate 0 - Part 2 (Eps 13-23 + OVA)
Steins;Gate 0 - Part 2 (Eps 13-23 + OVA) (Blu-ray)
The Place Promised in Our Early Days (Blu-ray)

Funimation:
Space Battleship Tiramisu Zwei Complete Season 2 (Blu-Ray)

---

A really big month for Madman; a small month for Funimation AU.

Few observations I see:
Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 1 Limited Edition is a combo release, despite previous season limited editions being separate DVD and Blu-rays. I hope the inconsistency doesn't give them an excuse to use softbox because previous sets were chipboard.

Hellsing Ultimate Complete Collection LE is $200, so it might come with additional things, though not 100% sure, since individually it would cost less.

Makoto Shinkai Classics is something that is interesting. Hopefully one day it will spark interest for Madman to release a complete Shinkai collection (like Hosoda and Miyazaki, though very unlikely).

Last edited by IForgotMyUsername on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Madman/Funimation October 2019 anime releases Reply with quote
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars (Season 5) Part 1 (Eps 167-183) (Blu-ray)

Small month for me personally. I've already got most of the LE stuff so it's just Titan, Penguin Highway and Sailor Moon for me, and with Titan and Sailor Moon the only real question is to LE or not to LE?
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yay, The Place Promised in Our Early Days finally on blu-ray locally. I just picked up the OST earlier this year.
strideryb
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 35th Anniversary Ltd Edition (Blu-ray & DVD Combo with Artbook)

Possibly

Edit: Didn't notice PPioED

Last edited by strideryb on Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
These for me:

Makoto Shinkai Classics: Voices of a Distant Star / 5 Centimetres per Second (Blu-ray)

Glad they are finally releasing the rest of the Makoto Shinkai films onto Blu-ray.
lostone1993
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Madman/Funimation October 2019 anime releases Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
Madman:
Steins;Gate 0 - Part 2 (Eps 13-23 + OVA)

just this for me
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman/Funimation October 2019 anime releases Reply with quote
Attack on Titan - Season 3 Part 1 (Eps 1-12) DVD/Blu-ray Combo (Limited Edition)
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars (Season 5) Part 1 (Eps 167-183) Limited Edition

I’m assuming Attack is licensed direct from Japan, not through Funimation, for it to be a Madman release.

Not bothering with Sailor Moon Blu-Ray just yet. Thinking of waiting for a complete series release down the line.
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Hellsing Ultimate Complete Collection LEs have been turned into standard editions, and a much lower price.
mikezilla2
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
The Hellsing Ultimate Complete Collection LEs have been turned into standard editions, and a much lower price.

canceled ?
Itachigotchi
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Madman/Funimation October 2019 anime releases Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
Dragon Ball Super Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
Sailor Moon Sailor Stars (Season 5) Part 1 (Eps 167-183) Limited Edition (Blu-ray)

These for me.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh nice the rest of the Shinkai stuff is coming, been wanting these for ages, just never got round to importing.

As an aside, did Madman ever fix the issues with Your Name?

Definitely getting these and Sailor Moon.
Sabmabab
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Part 2 (Eps 14-26 + OVA) (Blu-ray)

My poor wallet! Very excited to own the Shinkai classics, and always glad to have another all blu-ray month.
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Boruto went missing from the releases... Another delay I presume
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Claus wrote:
As an aside, did Madman ever fix the issues with Your Name?

Madman re-encoded the discs late 2018. All of the previous issues were fixed, though there is an extremely minor error at 01:12:28 of the film with 2 frame glitch. Other than that, the disc have been fixed, and are better than Funimation's disc.
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
[..]

Madman re-encoded the discs late 2018. All of the previous issues were fixed, though there is an extremely minor error at 01:12:28 of the film with 2 frame glitch. Other than that, the disc have been fixed, and are better than Funimation's disc.

I had no idea about these issues. What am I supposed to look for though? What scenes in particular? Thanks in advance. Smile
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Speeny wrote:
[..]

I had no idea about these issues. What am I supposed to look for though? What scenes in particular? Thanks in advance. Smile

Apparently the video had compression artefacts, and a lot of noise, and the incorrect gamma and brightness (Madman authored discs have always had a problem with incorrect gamma and brightness). The audio tracks seem to also be wrong, especially in the dub track (the Radwimps songs are said to be low quality).

I personally never noticed the problems, though I'm not a strong videophile and only watched the sub.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14275036&postcount=1428

https://animeuknews.net/2017/11/anime-limited-issue-statement-on-your-name-issues/
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
[..]

Apparently the video had compression artefacts, and a lot of noise, and the incorrect gamma and brightness (Madman authored discs have always had a problem with incorrect gamma and brightness). The audio tracks seem to also be wrong, especially in the dub track (the Radwimps songs are said to be low quality).

I personally never noticed the problems, though I'm not a strong videophile and only watched the sub.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14275036&postcount=1428

https://animeuknews.net/2017/11/anime-limited-issue-statement-on-your-name-issues/

Thanks for the heads up.
I can't view the images from that link you sent me unfortunately. Seems like the original poster might of taken them down or the link is broken.

From what I can tell, I can't spot any issues. The dub track does seem to be of lower quality, but it could just be my imagination honestly. Like you, I originally watched it subbed & I didn't notice any gamma & brightness issues from memory.

Do you think it'd be worth trying to get a replacement just to be safe?
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems that regarding the video quality it will drop down at times in a very minor way. Usually during fast paced scenes.
At 1:23:53 you can see it.

It's not a major issue in my opinion but if this in fact a copy with the issues, then it's safer to get a replacement.
Claus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok cool good to know, I'll just buy the local release finally then. Anyway to tell via packaging or whatnot of the newer encode? I suppose most copies on shelves now will be the updated one anyway.
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thinking about it now I'd suggest someone creates an official thread where we can report certain Blu-ray problems/errors.

Even though this forum isn't as active, it'd be good just to have regardless.
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Claus wrote:
Ok cool good to know, I'll just buy the local release finally then. Anyway to tell via packaging or whatnot of the newer encode? I suppose most copies on shelves now will be the updated one anyway.

I contacted Madman directly and they're sending me out a replacement disc.
Really happy about this because I originally ordered it from JB H-FI & dealing with them 2 years later could be a nightmare.
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So Madman seems to be replicating the Funimation set for Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 1, which really sucks because it's so different to the previous sets.

The release is now gonna be inconsistent, with a combo release, and a digibook instead of an amaray case. I wish they made part 1 SE with a booklet and made part 2 contain the chipboard box, and the part 2 booklet, and both of them being format separate, though my complaining isn't gonna change Madman's mind on this release. I do wonder if it was Funimation's or Madman's decision to do this.
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
IForgotMyUsername wrote:
So Madman seems to be replicating the Funimation set for Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 1, which really sucks because it's so different to the previous sets.

The release is now gonna be inconsistent, with a combo release, and a digibook instead of an amaray case. I wish they made part 1 SE with a booklet and made part 2 contain the chipboard box, and the part 2 booklet, and both of them being format separate, though my complaining isn't gonna change Madman's mind on this release. I do wonder if it was Funimation's or Madman's decision to do this.

Ahh, it's unfortunate how this happens sometimes. Sad I myself am not a big fan of AOT but I do still buy the sets.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: