Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

forum admin coc

forum admin coc
Author
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: forum admin coc Reply with quote
My suggestion/questions

do your forum admins/moderators have a Code of Conduct which outlines their "jobs"?
if not, then can it be organised?
if so, is it followed/enforced?

i frequent a number of forums, and have admin/mod powers on a few so I understand that sometimes a post or 3 needs editing to cut out banned content, a forum member may need a warning or a spank on the bum, and sometimes a thread just screams out to be locked.

my concern lies in the number of threads that get locked on these forums daily. Sometimes these threads are locked with good reason but more often than not, threads are locked with a reason provided that is either **** weak or sometimes wrong/silly (IMO). It is my opinion that the locking of these threads makes the forum worse than if the admin/mod did nothing at all.

lets make this small part of the world a better place
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which threads were locked without any good reason? I'm sure the mods here can make good judgement on what to close and whatnot.

------------------
Tony
Formally Super Saiyan 2000. 6524 posts of alleged spam.
Join Up At Anime Inferno™ Forums Today!
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's no Code of Conduct that I'm aware of. Mainly it's down to common sense for each moderator.

I agree that the "redundant thread locking" has become a little out of hand, especially when a simple question has been asked, and instead of giving an answer, someone posts a link to another thread.

It's easier to just answer the question, surely?

If a thread is obviously redundant (ie it's on the first page of a forum), then it should be locked, but sometimes I think this gets a bit out of hand, and we wind up with threads that are over a year old being revived.

In a low-traffic and highly specific forum like the Music forum, you'll notice more locks than elsewhere though, as more threads are likely to fall out of the range of the forum, and they will "sit" there for longer.

You may notice I approach the job of moderating that forum somewhat as one may approach the job of editing a magazine. It's not a style that everyone can take advantage of, but in that forum, where occasionally it's easier to just edit someone's post to add a particular fact or correction, it works well.

I always make sure any edits to other people's posts are obvious.

I'm not going to name names, but I think some moderators are just a touch overzealous in their moderating, and need to learn to settle down a bit.

Overall, I think the moderators and admins do a good job, and this forum really isn't out of hand like some forums I've seen (the Tecmo forums are shocking...). We don't have a big user base either.

About the only place that causes trouble is quelle surprise the DBZ forums.

------------------
fall into a light sleep watashi ni michiru
I don't carry out yakusoku wa yagate
itsukano kagayaki suteta
kaerenai asa no hikari noyou

[This message has been edited by StorminNorman (edited 08 January 2003).]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Argowal
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNorman:
I'm not going to name names, but I think some moderators are just a touch overzealous in their moderating, and need to learn to settle down a bit.

It's Shin isn't it? *lol*

I think the mods and admins do quite a good job overall . I'm sure if any of them ever do anything too out of line there will be sufficient outcry from the members and other mods/admins to cause to situation to be resolved, but I seriously doubt that anything like that will ever be neccesary

------------------
---------------

284 anime DVDs in my collection and growing

Favourite Anime: Princess Nine

For Info On Avoiding Bootlegs
The Pirate Anime FAQ
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
There isn't any formal set, but the reason for a moderating decision is usually one of these three...

Discussing Bootlegs/Fansubs
There's a fine line between a discussion about theoretical issues regarding bootlegging and talking about bootlegging, where to get them, how to do it, etc.

If you post a link to a site with bootlegs, it gets deleted or closed. If you mention bootlegs at all, then the references are taken out. Madman have made their position on this quite clear in the past.

If you want to have a genuine discussion about the morality of bootlegs ... well, it'd probably get locked for being redundant, but if it didn't, then it would probably be allowed to continue for a day or so, but then locked before it got out of hand.

Redundant Question
A thread is redundant if it's been done too many times before.

I think that locking redundant threads is a good idea. I used to lurk at the Portent forums and it's actually quite amazing how many times a single topic can be posted even in the same week if redundant threads aren't locked. Portent wasn't properly moderated, and thus most of the threads on the site revolve around a handful of topics. Locking redundant threads at least forces people to come up with new topics, or at least a new slant on an old topic.

I agree with SN that this can be enforced a little zealously at times, but overall I think it's a good idea.

Also, it is good to actually answer someone's question before locking it. I try to do that in the Kenshin forum and most of the stuff that gets locked there are topics that have, quite literally, come up 6 or 7 times before.

Flame Topic
This one is self-explanatory. Flame topics are not tolerated here at all. They're pointless and a general waste of time. If you want to flame, use Usenet or find a webforum that tolerates them.

Overall, I think that this is the best way to go. I've been at a lot of other messageboards that have collapsed after 18 months or so simply due to the fact that they haven't been moderated properly and so they collapse into a battlefield of flamewars (eg. the old South Park website 'Hellhole' forums) or continual discussion of the same topic (eg. the Portent forums).

In the interests of self-improvement, BeAf@Home, what sort of reasons do you think are silly for locking topics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BeAf@Home
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.madman.com.au/madboard/Forum16/HTML/000149.html

not an over bad lock but on that i saw today
a reason for the lock was provided but was the lock really called for?

the redundant thread locks or the "moved to X forum" are usually the ones that irk me i certainly understand that if the is an active thread relating to your topic on the front page then ppl should post in it but beyond that ... im not sure where to draw the line. i have never had much luck with the search feature on forums so i may be a little biased in this way. also the forum is configured to show only active topics from the last 20 days which doesnt help the low traffic forums.

as i said before,i understand that sometimes you just have to lock a thread/edit a post to enforce the rules of a forum. but it helps when the rules are defined and reasonable.

much <3
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You do realise that I didn't just lock it, I moved it to the J-Pop forum?

If you go down to the J-Pop forum, you can find the thread and post in it. It's just in the right forum now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
InGram
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why the heck do people get so worked up about lockings?

• It's not a personal attack against you. You are not being censored or repressed.
  • As much as you'd like to believe the internet is anarchistic, this site is not. You agree to rules by signing up.
  • I've never seen a lock that wasn't warranted or at least reasonable. Simple questions are asked and answered or moved.
  • History shows that after a thread has served it's purpose, it usually degenerates (with one obvious exception!) into nonsensical rambling.
  • Get over it. It's not the real world.
  • I don't check here often anymore, and it saves time trawling through sludgey ramblings.

EDIT:

quote:
Originally posted by merric:

Bwahahah!

[This message has been edited by InGram (edited 08 January 2003).]
BeAf@Home
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by merric:

If you go down to the J-Pop forum, you can find the thread and post in it. It's just in the right forum now.

your closing post did not link to the forum nor did it say that it was moved but that is not my point either. i am aware of the practice hence my ...
quote:

the redundant thread locks or the "moved to X forum" are usually the ones that irk me

my point/question is this ... is the forum a better place or is it worse off or indiferent now the thread is locked(moved).

in this example the kenshin forum has only had 12 active threads in the last 20 days - 2 of which have now been locked down. does someone suffer because there was discussion about the kenshin OST outside of the j-pop forum?

exteam_greenie
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You guys and girls want to see leaniancy? go to the site on my sig.

------------------
Gojita: omau kasou tousousumounona, waiani sobousidou, big bang-kamehameha!

Major fattman: put the gun down 43.

Yu: My name....IS OMINAE YUUUUU!!!!

join www.gamefaqs.com its free.
BeAf@Home
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by InGram:
Why the heck do people get so worked up about lockings?

• It's [b]not a personal attack against you. You are not being censored or repressed.
  • As much as you'd like to believe the internet is anarchistic, this site is not. You agree to rules by signing up.
  • I've never seen a lock that wasn't warranted or at least reasonable. Simple questions are asked and answered or moved.
  • History shows that after a thread has served it's purpose, it usually degenerates (with one obvious exception!) into nonsensical rambling.
  • Get over it. It's not the real world.
  • I don't check here often anymore, and it saves time trawling through sludgey ramblings.

EDIT:

Bwahahah!

[This message has been edited by InGram (edited 08 January 2003).][/B]

IMO locked threads are ugly. They are an ugly mole sitting in the middle of a forum. they should be the last resort before banning a user.

Re: your "this is our house if you dont like it **** off" speel ...
damn! i must be in the wrong forum again, i guess this post will be moved soon ... NO ... WAIT ... this IS the Suggestion & Feedback forum and OH MY this is a Suggestion & Feedback thread!!!! ...
but seriously, this is not an uncommon way of thinking, i have been known to deliver simmilar speels myself, however i have all ready stated twice in this thread that i understand the need for rules and that they have to be enforced.

of the rules listed by merric i agree 100% with the rules relating to bootlegs and flame wars. i am questioning the need for locking of redundant threads moving between forums. even within these rules i can see that they are sometimes required, but i would like to see a line drawn that states what should be locked and what is OK. at the moment i feel that these rules are being applied beyond where they are needed.

and as for teh BWHAHAHAHAH, i must have missed something, to me it looked like merric was simply asking a question, i mean its not like a mod would be trolling for a flame now is it
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only redundant threads I close are the ones in which I see no more good or needed replies would be made.

If a good discussion of topic can be made, then I'd leave it open otherwise it saves all those useless replies being made.

------------------
Tony
BeAf@Home
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a thread will be locked when:
Discussing Bootlegs/Fansubs
Flame Topic
Redundant Question

so we can add to the rules:
when a Mod feels like ending the discussion

jinsenblade
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it is easy for redundant threads to appear, since there is quite a bit of traffic and activity on these forums. Sometimes it can get overwhelming, other times when you try to play by the rules...you feel really stupid in replying with a question to a really ancient thread.

that's what i think anyway..since it has happened to me a few times. I'm not getting worked up about thread lockings, i don't take them personally or seriously.

-jB-
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by BeAf@Home:

so we can add to the rules:
when a Mod feels like ending the discussion

Those 3 threads were closed purely because the problem had been solved. Please understand this. It turned into a flame and b1tch thread, and it was quite clear by the 3rd thread that, that's what it was.

------------------
Anime Coordinator - Comicfest/Supanova
Web Design and Multimedia - Studio Slykura

Spirited Away - In cinemas NOW! Go See it!
Buy Newtype Japan's number 1 anime source. Issue 3 out now at your local Electronics Boutique/EB Games store!
TRC7
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:

my concern lies in the number of threads that get locked on these forums daily. Sometimes these threads are locked with good reason but more often than not, threads are locked with a reason provided that is either **** weak or sometimes wrong/silly (IMO).

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. It's something that has annoyed me for a while. Sometimes threads are locked before people can add a new opinion. Eg, I don't frequent these forums much anymore (I don't see the future in staring into a glass screen ). So, when I come back after a few days, there is a very interesting topic where, I feel, I can add a valid point/opinion, but no - it is locked. So, yes, I do feel repressed.
Anyway, do what you (think you) have to do, moderators.

------------------
... *nostalgic mode* Ahh, do you remember the days when the great Hyper C and the legendary TeAk were in charge of the forums. The Madboards were fun times then.....
P1aGu3
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
/me points and laughs at Beaf ...

But seriously, I agree with Beaf on some of the issues.

I am not a big poster, but I am a big lurker, this forum is on my "daily trail" of forums I frequent.

Some things I would consider to help, especially the "Redundant Post" syndrome which accounts for a massive amount of locks, would be a forum with more powerful search featuers that dont take 3 months to search through (i.e. MySQL backend). I have given up searching now and I just post whatever and take pot luck in it being covered before hand.

Also a forum which cookies correctly. I cannot get my username/password to save so I dont have to type it in each and every post.

Basicly, this site needs a new forum altogether. Its growing in size quite substantially and the old "flat file" UBB is beginning to show its age.
~Raven~
BT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have never really had any problems with the decisions of the Mods/ Admins... Except one that went way out of line and euthanised my gimp... But it would have created pages and pages of spam anyway...

And they close redundant threads... Or flame risks...

What if I say that I will have an uncontrollable urge to flame in this thread, should it be left open? Does that not mean that it should be closed?

------------------
Formerly known as ssj4_Vegeta - Post count + 3246

Pen Pen and Bubba's Mad Adventure - Soon to be updated, Havoc watch out!

The Animétrix has come to an end. What happens now is up to... ME!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Plague, we all know that the flat file UBB struggles in some areas. We launched a proposition to upgrade the forum a long time ago and Madman denied it. We're just stuck on this for the meantime. It's doing us a good job so far, but you'll just have to bare with it for now.

------------------
Tony
Argowal
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like this style of board (I detest the style used by places like AoD, it just seems to make everything so much harder). I also think that the mods and admins do a very good job overall.

Perhaps people should just think a bit more before starting a new thread (As far as I can remember, I've yet to have a thread I've started locked in the past 12 months), and when they do start a thread they should think about the wording they use in the first post very carefully. It usually sets the tone for the thread overall. If someone opens with a vitriolic attack on madman, then naturally staunch Madman supporters are going to leap on it and attack back (even if they agree with some of, or even most of, your argument), from which point it just excalates into a flame thread and gets locked.

I know that several of the people posting in the recent late release threads made valid and reasonable arguments, but the problem there was in the fact that people were still fired up from the arguments of previous threads, and people made the mistake of directly linking their new threads to the previous problem threads. A much better idea would have been to wait 5 or 6 days (until the locked threads had slid off the front page and people had started to get this months releases) and then posted a thread with helpful suggestions for next months releases, or release dates in general (If you're able to do it in a cheerful Pro-Madman way, you partially neutralize most of your opponents from the start, even if you aren't actually Pro-Madman in reality). It most likely wouldn't change anything in regards to the way Madman organise their releases, but at least it probably wouldn't get locked and may have even lead to some short-term interesting discussion (assuming helpful people like Shadow_Warlock and SSJ_Vegata didn't see it).

In regards to other threads, mainly threads with a simple question, I personally feel that it would be much better to just answer the question and let the thread slide away and die naturally, especially if its something that mods would normally be tempted to move to another forum (unless it is in danger of turning into a flame thread because the person/people don't happen to like the answer given). I do agree with the locking of redundant threads if there is a current thread from, say, the past week dealing with that topic though, or if the thread is simply turning into a useless flame thread.

------------------
---------------

286 anime DVDs in my collection and growing

The Pirate Anime FAQ
BeAf@Home
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slykura:
Those 3 threads were closed purely because the problem had been solved. Please understand this. It turned into a flame and b1tch thread, and it was quite clear by the 3rd thread that, that's what it was.

Its YOUR opinion that the problem has been solved but I am yet to see or any positive action taken from the feedback provided. eg a post that says "If there is going to be a delay we (Madman) will make an effort to let our customers know". And now the thread is locked NO ONE can post. Perhaps an admin COC could outline ways of dealing with flames/trolls that doesnt resort to locking the thread, allowing the discussion to continue. Hell you never know, if the thread kept on I may have found out where I could have got my Kenshin (which, dispite what you may think, is what i wanted to know). Even though I didnt get what I wanted out of the thread Madman has now received a bunch of feedback which (after they filter out some of the **** ) they could apply and impove themselves. This example proves my point, if the first reply to my post was "Disks sighted at JB HIFI the city (brisbane). Question answered. Thread Locked" then all the good feedback may never have come forth.

Push come to shove this is just one example, no hard fellings and all that jazz , rather that *****ing about and defending locked threads or inconsistant application of "the rules" perhaps we should move on and consider the original suggestion based on its merits.

reubot
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by ~Raven~:
I have never really had any problems with the decisions of the Mods/ Admins... Except one that went way out of line and euthanised my gimp... But it would have created pages and pages of spam anyway...

Maybe you could try get get one of the less ethical ones to resusitate it

------------------
"And pretty much everytime I go to a club these days, the people lining up scream at the bouncer "He's pranking you! To see if you let him in!" And I tell the people I'm not filming the show anymore. But here in Melbourne, I'm seen as some sort of Allen Funt character and they just say "John, when are we going to be on the television?"" - John Safran
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Zedstar
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok- A couple of things.

Firstly- the Forums are almost NEVER frequented by MM staffers. None of us (being the moderators/admins) actually work at MM. If something that impacts on MM is mentioned then we end up sending the link/info to the relevant people at MM, but if we were to abuse that then there we would NEVER hear anything from them.

With the flame wars. I don't want to have to deal with it. The MM server isn't particularly efficient and even with my beautiful, darling, non d/l limited cable it takes a while. The RahXephon thread is a prime example where the parties involved were asked/told by admins to stop and the flame was continued. Times like these suggest a locking. Don't try to pull a "other forums don't do it" trick either- because while some forums don't, some do. Ours is one of the ones that do.

Does the server REALLY need to have extra stress on it?

BTW- ~Raven~ your gimp thread is in the archives if you want to visit it. ^_~

^_^ Zedstar

[Edit- maybe I should just go ahead to post pics of boys kissing and making out to help dampen any more flame wars. Hopefully Qchan and I have enough pics of boys making out in rain for you all! : P~]

------------------
ChibiChibi.. Anyone for Cheesecake?

[This message has been edited by Zedstar (edited 22 January 2003).]
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You'd be amazed at the number of people that think that being an admin/moderator on this forum means that you work for Madman in some kind of official capacity...

------------------
itsukano kagayaki suteta
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BeAf@Home - I directed you to the thread in the Kenshin Forum did I not? That thread has been around for quite a while. You could and should have just look and or posted in that thread.

Also what the big deal is about threads getting moved to different forums, why is it the mods' fault, if the original poster had posted the thread in the correct forum, it wouldn't have needed to be moved in the first place.

------------------
Anime Coordinator - Comicfest/Supanova
Web Design and Multimedia - Studio Slykura

Spirited Away - In cinemas NOW! Go See it!
Buy Newtype Japan's number 1 anime source. Issue 3 out now at your local Electronics Boutique/EB Games store!

[This message has been edited by Slykura (edited 22 January 2003).]
Argowal
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slykura:

Also what the big deal is about threads getting moved to different forums, why is it the mods' fault, if the original poster had posted the thread in the correct forum, it wouldn't have needed to be moved in the first place.

True, but have you actually checked many of those moved threads. They usually might get perhaps one more response (typically answering the question asked), if that, then slide away into oblivion. You'd save yourself a lot of effort by simply answering the question and reminding them to post in the correct forum in the future. Threads moved into the general anime forum are the exception to this as they seem to attract a slightly higher number of follow on posts.

------------------
---------------

286 anime DVDs in my collection and growing

The Pirate Anime FAQ
BeAf@Home
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i am indeed well aware of the thread in the kenshin forum (if you look through that thread you will see i have posted in it regularly). Also, if you read my opening posts in the "where the hell" threads (pt2 and pt3) you will see that they are questions relating previous posts made in those threads. Quoting S&F posts in the middle of a kenshin thread would surely get me in trouble (and confuse the **** out of ppl)

I understand that some threads are posted in the wrong area and should be moved. Some threads are not so clean cut. The Kenshin OST thread is an example, its kenshin but its music related so off to the jpop forum with you, meanwhile in the Eva forum there is a NGE OST thread that is living happily because:
quote:

I'll let this stay here because it'll probally just wither and die in the music forum.

ps - i did assume some offical link between sly (but not other admins)and madman due to the information in his posts and he being the artist for the web banners etc. my mistake

zed - i dont know the thread you are refering to but i understand that some threads DO need locking. things i would try before locking:
warning the users
editing offending posts
deleting posts
temp banning users
banning users

Once again we seem to be arguing about the details when there are bigger issues that should/could be addressed first.

1) a list of rules for users to post by
2) a list of actions/steps admins should take to address situations that are not inline with the above rules
3) is there someone who is the King Admin (probably the guy/girl who would write the 2 lists above) to whom the admins "sit under" and can pass judgement on the admins actions and to whom the admins can refer potential problem threads.

if you can see the value in these and decide to do something about it, THEN you can start to worry/argue about the details

some further ideas to assist in the redundant thread issue:
1) sticky threads (that dont fade away) but this would probably require a different forum. the kenshin faq would be a good example.
2) can admins change the names of threads. this would make the subject of the thread more known and stop the asking of the same question twice (we hope).

Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

quote:

zed - i dont know the thread you are refering to but i understand that some threads DO need locking. things i would try before locking:
warning the users
editing offending posts
deleting posts
temp banning users
banning users

The first two would only count as being proper measures taken before a thread closure. Deleting posts is optional but usually an offender takes the top off-topic with the rule they have broken. And then deleting the one post causes confusion AND the people who responded to it still knew that post existed. It's then hard to get back on topic so thats why it should be closed. Same story with the banning, it causes a commotion and takes the topic off-topic about the bannange that might occur. Topic recovery hasn't got the best record at Madman.

quote:

2) a list of actions/steps admins should take to address situations that are not inline with the above rules
3) is there someone who is the King Admin (probably the guy/girl who would write the 2 lists above) to whom the admins "sit under" and can pass judgement on the admins actions and to whom the admins can refer potential problem threads

1)Usually the rules are just basic ones among many forums. But it wouldn't be a bad idea for a rules thread considering the amount of members breaking rules. (And many not knowing what the hell they are doing) The downside is they won't even bother reading the rules. (Well most 'typical' n00bs)

2)That should be between the admins/mods, not the public forums.

3)Technically it's madman, but Shinnanth and Hyper C do the most admin work. So, yeah.

I hope this answers some of your questions. Sorry if any mistakes.

------------------
Tony
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
warning the users
editing offending posts
deleting posts
temp banning users
banning users

Uhh, the first three things are already in practice (for the reasons stated by Tony, that 3rd option isn't used often), maybe you just haven't noticed because you're too busy complaining about insignificant things like a Kenshin music thread being moved to a music forum. And isn't banning users, temporarily or permanently more extreme than simply closing a thread?

quote:
3) is there someone who is the King Admin (probably the guy/girl who would write the 2 lists above) to whom the admins "sit under" and can pass judgement on the admins actions and to whom the admins can refer potential problem threads.

It's Tim's board, he has delegated the day to day running of the board to Hyper C & I, not you. Tim is happy with how the board is being run, therefore you shouldn't have any problems. Forum guidelines have been under development for a long time, but other more important things have prevented these from being publicly available earlier.

quote:
some further ideas to assist in the redundant thread issue:
1) sticky threads (that dont fade away) but this would probably require a different forum. the kenshin faq would be a good example.
2) can admins change the names of threads. this would make the subject of the thread more known and stop the asking of the same question twice (we hope).

1 - Not an available feature on this UBB.
2 - I don't see how changing the name of a thread is going to help that much. eg. People will still create threads with the topic title containing the series name when there is an existing topic with the series in its thread title - quite often when the existing thread is still on the first page of the forum summary.

Redundant threads are usually made by users who don't *bother* to check for an existing thread. I've lost count of the number of threads that people have stated in the opening lines 'I don't know if there's a thread on this already, but I couldn't be bothered to check' - yet you hold the board staff responsible for their laziness? Please. At least some members say that they were unable to find an existing thread and ask that if people can find a thread on their topic that they can close their new thread.

[This message has been edited by Shinannth (edited 23 January 2003).]
Danny Tanner
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BeAf@Home, I am SO much better than you.

------------------
Famous TV Father > You
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
beef you're a windbag, sometimes i get annoyed when i put a post in the correct forum and it gets to another forums thats apart of life on these boards... whats the real point having a suggestions and feedback as 9 times out of 10 the damn thread gets moved or locked.. as for the pirates or illegal stuff technicly this is official site this type of subject isn't discussed though technicly madman and the admin's are encroaching on freedom of speech.. tho then again madman come back and say talking about bootlegs harms thier chances of a said title, due to fact the bootlegs are being discussed openly on thier forums. which is technicly being run by the fans anyway with no inside help from madman.. unless it has to do with a madman titles as 1 of the admin's get the info from tim or someone at madman reply's to the emails the admin sends them....

[This message has been edited by black_ops (edited 23 January 2003).]
Kardith
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Uh.. What? Maybe it's because it's late but that does'nt make much sense to me...

Edit: Last time I checked, the madboard didn't fall under the American constitution. There are no rights to freedom of speech in the Australian constitution, and that's not even considering the fact that the Madboard is the property of a private company.
------------------
What are we? The Damned childer of Caine? The grotesque lords of humanity? The pitiful wretches of eternal hell? We are vampires, and that is enough. I am vampire, and that is far more than enough. I am that which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine - now and forever.

[This message has been edited by Kardith (edited 23 January 2003).]
Zedstar
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kardith:
Edit: Last time I checked, the madboard didn't fall under the American constitution. There are no rights to freedom of speech in the Australian constitution, and that's not even considering the fact that the Madboard is the property of a private company.

You read my mind. ^_^

^_^ Zedstar

------------------
ChibiChibi.. Anyone for Cheesecake?
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Technically, the Madboard is subject to Canadian law, as, last I looked, it was hosted in Canada.

The last four hops in a traceroute confirm this:

code:

18 gigabitethernet11-0-0.gw4.van1.sprint-canada.net (207.107.254.200) 228.591 ms 227.305 ms 230.488 ms
19 z-serial10-0-0-1.gw4.van1.sprint-canada.net (204.50.234.154) 441.42 ms 252.014 ms 293.211 ms
20 hotnet-lcs-ed3.left-coast.net (204.50.24.10) 303.114 ms 242.191 ms *
21 www.madman.com.au (204.50.24.47) 268.369 ms 249.239 ms 348.316 ms

That said, one of the most braindead Australian court decisions ever made stated that a website is published in the country it's read in, not the country it's hosted in.

As to the RK OST thread, I kind of thought it was a bit daft to move that to the music forum. That said, it gets a reasonable amount of posts.

I was pretty unhappy with Hyper C for deciding to allow the NGE music thread to stay "because it would just wither and die in the music forum". That's the kind of thing that undermines the whole purpose for the music forum.

You will notice, however, that I've started threads on the OSTs of both SA and CB in their respective forums. With hindsight, I think this was a tad daft, however it does fall in line with HC's policy in the Eva forum.

------------------
itsukano kagayaki suteta
BeAf@Home
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony, thanks for your consideration and answers.

Shin

Quote:
maybe you just haven't noticed because you're too busy complaining about insignificant things like a Kenshin music thread being moved to a music forum.

an example was asked for, an example was given. none the less, im not complaining, rather I thought I identified an area in which the forum could improve.

quote:

And isn't banning users, temporarily or permanently more extreme than simply closing a thread?

IMO it depends on the thread. Some threads do indeed require locking, some maybe salvagable, but since "Topic recovery hasn't got the best record at Madman" perhaps locking may work best for you.

quote:

It's Tim's board, he has delegated the day to day running of the board to Hyper C & I, not you . Tim is happy with how the board is being run, therefore you shouldn't have any problems. Forum guidelines have been under development for a long time, but other more important things have prevented these from being publicly available earlier.

i am aware that this is not MY forum I (naively) thought my suggestions and feedback would be considered. Since these guidelines have been underdevelopment for a long time, perhaps someone else has had similar ideas, in this case all is well!

quote:

I don't see how changing the name of a thread is going to help that much

A new example!!!
http://www.madman.com.au/madboard/Forum16/HTML/000153.html
http://www.madman.com.au/madboard/Forum16/HTML/000154.html

a redundant thread (the 2nd link) that has been locked, and rightly so (no complaints there).

if an admin were to change the topic of the first thread from "Samurai X" to something like "New Samurai X trailer on Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust DVD" perhaps the 2nd thread could have been avoided. After all "Samurai X" as a title doesnt say much in a kenshin forum

much <3
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem with changing the name of a thread is that it's actually very difficult to do so in this version of the UBB.

It can be done, but it's kind of a nasty hack and really not worth the effort.

A better policy would be for l^Husers to actually give decent titles for their threads. It doesn't require an incredible amount of imagination.

------------------
itsukano kagayaki suteta
BeAf@Home
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SN, you can change the topic names quite easily from the CP. There are some mod options in there you don't see on the forums.

------------------
Tony
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tony:
SN, you can change the topic names quite easily from the CP. There are some mod options in there you don't see on the forums.

I know this, but I can never remember the URL for the CP.

------------------
itsukano kagayaki suteta
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can give it to you, but somewhere private.

------------------
Tony
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tony - could you email it to me too? merricfoley@hotmail.com

Ta.
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep sure, lemme just get the admins permission to distribute it to mods. Sorry 'bout this. Just want to be safe.

------------------
Tony
P1aGu3
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dammit BeAF ... look at the trouble you have caused.

(a new forum would fix many problems)
BeAf@Home
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is still hope that something good may yet come of it

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: