Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Sony combine anime streaming (Funimation, Madman, Wakanim)

Sony combine anime streaming (Funimation, Madman, Wakanim)
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Sony combine anime streaming (Funimation, Madman, Wakanim) Reply with quote
https://variety.com/2019/digital/asia/sony-anime-funimation-aniplex-joint-venture-1203346579/

https://www.funimation.com/blog/sony-pictures-television-and-aniplex-announce-global-anime-streaming-merger/

So Funimation, Madman Anime Group and Wakanim are working together to form a joint venture that will see Funimation distribute and acquire titles for FunimationNow, Madman Anime Group/AnimeLab and Wakanim.

I guess that explains that rebranding of AnimeLab last week to animelab. EDIT: they raised their prices... Sad

I have so many questions about this:

Funimation will be the ones in charge of this new joint venture in streaming. Does this mean that AnimeLab is now owned by the new joint venture, and no longer under Madman?

Considering that FunimationNow operates in Australia, does this mean the Fate GO anime (and future Aniplex anime) will be streaming on AnimeLab exclusively for 30 days (ie: not even available on FunimationNow), or is streaming on FunimationNow and AnimeLab together in Australia during the exclusive window?

What about Funimation (but not Aniplex) titles? Will they be AnimeLab exclusives with no FuniNow stream? And Madman acquired titles: is that going to change anything?

Last edited by IForgotMyUsername on Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:52 am; edited 2 times in total
IForgotMyUsername
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-09-24/sony-consolidates-funimation-france-wakanim-australia-madman-anime-into-joint-venture/.151470

So Anime News Network is saying that Madman Anime Group in its entirety is now owned by the new Funimation merger, not just the streaming business like was said by Funimation's press release and the Variety article. ANN references a Japanese source that states that the companies in its entirety are being merged together.

This now confuses me. Is Madman Anime Group now under Funimation, or is just AnimeLab under Funimation? Does this also mean that Madman Anime Group is now partly owned by SPTV and Aniplex?
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I'm still sticking with Crunchyroll exclusively for the moment.

Streaming services are great but I don't like to pay for a whole bunch of them,. Plus, as you said, it's becoming more and more confusing. But hey, it's more good than bad I'd say.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: