Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Madman/Tokyopop's release of Initial D -all you need to know

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Madman/Tokyopop's release of Initial D -all you need to know
Author
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Madman/Tokyopop's release of Initial D -all you need to know Reply with quote
Thought I might make a sticky topic so that the more common questions regarding the madman/tokyopop release of Initial are answered and what you actually do and don't get.

Tricked out version?

The tricked out version that is featured exclusively on these DVDs you can view this version with either English or japanese with subs language dialouge. Basically this is the exact same episodes, only with some changes to the video.

Changes include the changing of some if not all CG Car sequences, adding in Adobe After Effects tweens and what not. This was done with the intent that Initial D would have sold to a major TV station in the USA, madman do not have anything or could have much say about this version which is unforunate.

The audio has also been changed, particularly so on the English Dub, with unnesscarily added noise that is unnatural and sounds like a rice rocket gone sour rather than enchancing the experience.

It is also possible to view the tricked out version in Japanese with english subtitles.

Original 'Classic' Mode?

Original / Classic version - Original video, can be viewed in either english or japanese The Japnese version's video, audio everything is untouched and as it is. The subtitles are quite true to the original dialouge and is no less dumb down than what you would see on any other official subtitled release.

How long is the series?

1st Stage - 26 Episodes
Extra Stage - 2 Episodes
2nd Stage - 13 Episodes

3rd Stage - Movie
Battle Stage - OVA

It is uncertain how many DVDs the entire series will come out on at this point in time.

Last edited by Slykura on Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atsusuki
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: No Boxes for Initial D? Reply with quote
Slykura, any idea why madman didn't release it with boxes? :S
They gonna release boxes later?
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No box because the number of discs for Initial D is still not determind. Tokyopop also did not release a box with their release so it's very hard to do when they themselves have buried themselves in such a deep hole with this series and are basically screwing fans with the disc count etc.
Atsusuki
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: thanks dude Reply with quote
alrighty and thanks
i hope others look at this post before they ask more about boxes Very Happy
Requiem
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anime on DVD has initial D volume 5 with 3 eps... Things aren't looking good Sad
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
episode counts will differ from dvd-dvd some episode may be longer than others.. 26 episodes in this series i'm guessing 8-10 dvd's in length towards the end we will most likely be 4-5 episodes a disc... pending on what licence agreements madman has with US vendors.... is to how we get the 1st series released..

lets hope madman can get the OVA,movie and the 2nd series, the only thing i don't like about the series so far is it feels like i'm watching another dbz episode the only difference is the anime is about street racing not fighting...
Requiem

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Black_ops: The whole point is it was originally meant to be 41 eps on 10 dvds, not 28. No way in hell I am buying 10 dvds for 28 eps. When madman releases the box i'll probably get it, assuming it's price is based on a 28 ep series and not a 10 dvd series.
braddles
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:
Black_ops: The whole point is it was originally meant to be 41 eps on 10 dvds, not 28. No way in hell I am buying 10 dvds for 28 eps. When madman releases the box i'll probably get it, assuming it's price is based on a 28 ep series and not a 10 dvd series.

The recent rerelease in Japan of the First Stage 26 eps fits on 7 DVD.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005HL0M/ref=pd_sims_dp__3/249-3546678-9413104
In the middle of the page is a review from Oricon GE. The vaguely translated version states in part "23rd - 26 story recording."
According to Amazon.co.jp, the first disk is only 48 minutes but 2-7 are 96, which suggests two episodes first DVD and 4 from then on.
I'm in Japan at the moment, and the cheapest I can find it is Y3,450 per disk, whereas in store Y5,800 is the RRP!!!
Requiem

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only 2 problems with that: 1, I don't speak Japanese, and 2. It would probably be cheaper to buy 10 US/AUS dvds than 7 japanese ones.

Its really frustrating, because this was one of the most anticipated titles of 2003 for me Sad
Lunetta
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Sub Vs Dub Reply with quote
Okay, I'm putting in my 2 Yen worth to this discussion. I know this IS NOT Madman's fault, but I'm going to do a little ranting here...

The AMERICANISED Music

What's with this? It sounds like it's trying to "Fast And The Furious" with the street racing--like the music...ALOT of it was un-neccissary the ORIGINAL / sub (by overseas--not USA) had no music when the RED SUNS met with AKINO SPEEDSTARS for the first time--the DUB had HIP HOP!

The original music COULD have been left alone as alot of the original / sub has ENGLISH songs--I even have several of the Orginal Soundtracks and 98% of the songs are ENGLISH! 2% is the Opening and Closing in Japanese but even that has English in.

EUROBEAT did the music for the anime and presented it excellent! Considering it was based in the 90's it HAD 90's music!

Oh and the Americanised sound effects are overdone!

WHAT WAS DONE TO PRESERVE THE ANIME?! Who cares if it was done to sell to a big-wig station in the USA, what about the loyalty to the fans of the ORGINAL anime?

The Voices

All I can say: WHERE'S THE EMOTION?!
In the original there's EMOTION!

YES I HAVE BOTH FIRST AND SECOND STAGE BOX SETS THAT ARE SUBBED ONLY! (I got these from Shin Tokyo along with the soundtracks).

I've seen the english version via a friend lending them to me...I'm just going to stick to the sub as it is far better with the soundtrack.

Don't get me wrong, I support Madman: I have several of their DVDs and so does my other half.

-Lunetta.
Argowal
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sub Vs Dub Reply with quote
Lunetta wrote:
YES I HAVE BOTH FIRST AND SECOND STAGE BOX SETS THAT ARE SUBBED ONLY! (I got these from Shin Tokyo along with the soundtracks).

Whilst I agree that the Americans did some evil things to this series, I feel compelled to point out that those sub-only box sets you've mentioned are almost certainly bootlegs (and the soundtracks are quite likely to be aswell I'd say).
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sub Vs Dub Reply with quote
Lunetta wrote:

-Lunetta.

well la-di-da Rolling Eyes Good for you! You feel big now that you're going around boasting about owning a bootleg boxset? If you like it so much please go and replace it with the real thing.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The changes to the music in the tricked out version were up to ****. It's got about as much appeal as Simon Creen in a bathing suit. And the name changes were bad enough, but the acting was so stilted, which is sad as there a few good english VAs used.
I can't figure out how Tokyopop can justify what they have done? It's up there with Cardcaptors as the worst attempt to put Anime on network TV. If I could, I'd drag out the staff at Tokyopop, line them up, and execute them one by one.
Kardith
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We were watching the Tricked Out version at Sauceman's house the other day, god damn it was funny. The effects they put in could of been done by a three year old. XD
GekigangerV
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sub Vs Dub Reply with quote
Lunetta wrote:

I'm antibootleg but the Tokyopop version is god damn awful that I feel this series deserves to be bootlegged and sold en masse.

If Tokyopop lose money off the series they deserve it for getting this series and then taking a massive "cleveland steamer" on it.

Sorry Madman, I know its not your fault.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
nothing, and i mean NOTHING "deserves to be bootlegged" no mattter how badly presented the official version is.

If you really are so fussy about the tokyopop version of initial d then just watch it in classic mode! it's uncut!

Failing that doesn't satifiy you, you can go and buy the Japanese super complete DVD box.
GekigangerV
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I said I'm antibootleg but Tokyopop need to feel the wrath of the fans for dubbing it how they did by losing revenue through non-purchase or at worst bootleggery.

Quote:
Failing that doesn't satifiy you, you can go and buy the Japanese super complete DVD box.

I would prefer not to import anything, I would much rather Tokyopop got their act together.

Minus some of the student voices in GTO they did a good job with that anime. Oh well.

Oh also the episode count per DVD on Tokyopop Initial D is disgraceful and March is a hella long wait!

Btw I do buy official DVD's only and usually only ever watch in Japanese but my friends bemoan actually having to read subs but I refuse to watch Initial D in english.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
*steps back in from holiday*

bahaha @ owning bootlegs. I wonder how great the subs are, I'm sure the translator(s) did a fantastic job with all the car terms *coughs loudly*. Oh, and for the cost of all the bootleg soundtracks, you could have bought the legit Special Stage 3 cd set and gotten all the songs (plus several not available on the bootleg ones), with change to spare. Too bad Razz
chrisE30
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote
If you really are so fussy about the tokyopop version of initial d then just watch it in classic mode! it's uncut!

I know that not everybody likes the redone american versions....
But the original untouched are also included...so in my opinion they have catered for everybody.
I personally love pumping up the sound in 5.1.
If they had not touched the series or tried to do anything to it and just produced it on dvd, I am sure that the other percentage of people would feel like they had been ripped of.
I admit I get the copied versions of the net, only because I can't wait to see what happens next, but if I really like it I go and by the original.
I have battle 01, and battle 02....
and am anticipating battle 03 in march.
In my opinion dubbs have come a long way.
You can barely see the mouths moving out of time with the dialougue unlike the days of the chinese connection and the like from bruce lee....
There is something to complain about , and the versions I saw had no option for orginal sound with sub-titles. Confused
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I agree Reply with quote
chrisE30 wrote:

I know that not everybody likes the redone american versions....
But the original untouched are also included...so in my opinion they have catered for everybody.
I personally love pumping up the sound in 5.1.
If they had not touched the series or tried to do anything to it and just produced it on dvd, I am sure that the other percentage of people would feel like they had been ripped of.
I admit I get the copied versions of the net, only because I can't wait to see what happens next, but if I really like it I go and by the original.
I have battle 01, and battle 02....
and am anticipating battle 03 in march.
In my opinion dubbs have come a long way.
You can barely see the mouths moving out of time with the dialougue unlike the days of the chinese connection and the like from bruce lee....
There is something to complain about , and the versions I saw had no option for orginal sound with sub-titles. Confused

Shocked Are we talking about the same dub Shocked

I agree that other dubs are decent but the Initial D "Tricked Out" version just sucks! It takes the award of worst dub ever, especially all that photoshop work. Who would want to see a drift in negative film like form? Shocked
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not doubting for a second that all the 'tricked out' stuff is contributing to the severe delay in the release of Initial D.
chrisE30
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote]I agree that other dubs are decent but the Initial D "Tricked Out" version just sucks! It takes the award of worst dub ever, especially all that photoshop work. Who would want to see a drift in negative film like form?[quote]

Yeah I agree bout the adobe editing, that is hard to watch. under topic initial-dilemma I mention something bout this.
I like to customise it so I use classic mode with english sound and sign translation only.
chrisE30
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
man i am so crap at this forum stuff.
How do ya copy someone's msg, and turn it into a quote?
I feel like an idiot Embarassed
Requiem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
chrisE30 wrote:
man i am so crap at this forum stuff.
How do ya copy someone's msg, and turn it into a quote?
I feel like an idiot Embarassed

The quote button at the top right corner of their message Smile
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
All is right now. We all hate the photoshop effects used on the dub. Very Happy ^_^
chrisE30
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: 5.1 Reply with quote
Yeah it'd be really great if it had 5.1 sound for you Japanese. with eng. sub fans.
If you have got theatre surround it makes movies 100% better!!
Once I had 5.1 I would never go back.
That is why Full Metal Panic! is good Japanese. and eng. 5.1
love it!!!
just got new disc today.. have not seen it yet.
Can't wait to watch!!!!!!
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In recent news, I have an avatar now. Can everyone see or is the pic of the FD too small Question
braddles
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:
Anime on DVD has initial D volume 5 with 3 eps... Things aren't looking good Sad

All Japanese DVD of Initial D that I saw had three episodes per disk. And they cost 5,900 + 5% tax! (Cheaper on-line, but not by that much.)
I'm not saying it's a good thing, but consider fans in Japan. Tax-deductable donations can be sent to ...
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
braddles wrote:
Requiem wrote:

All Japanese DVD of Initial D that I saw had three episodes per disk. And they cost 5,900 + 5% tax! (Cheaper on-line, but not by that much.)
I'm not saying it's a good thing, but consider fans in Japan. Tax-deductable donations can be sent to ...

I thought it was 4 eps per disc for the Japanese release.
chrisE30
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: whoops Reply with quote
Hey people,
Sorry I was wrong....better correct myself before someone curses me and says something like I am not a real anime fan!
Full Metal Panic! only has japanese 2.0
I just finished watching.....
It was great i was laughing and smiling throughout the whole 3 episodes!
Only pain is that the last episode was a part 1 ending in the middle of a battle............arggghhh I hate the suspense.
Yeah they really get you with cutting down the episodes...
The only good thing bout it is it makes your collection look cool when you have soo many discs.
But that is all Sad
chrisE30
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ssj3main_vegeta wrote:
In recent news, I have an avatar now. Can everyone see or is the pic of the FD too small Question

Yeah I saw the fd before and it was recognisable.
But it seems you have changed again?
GekigangerV
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
chrisE30 wrote:
Yeah it'd be really great if it had 5.1 sound for you Japanese. with eng. sub fans.

Unless i'm misinterpreting that, you're saying Initial D doesn't have 5.1 sound in Japanese.

Well it does.

Sorry if I've read that wrong.
chrisE30
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry i was talking about Full Metal Panic.
I am not sure if initial D is in 5.1 Japanese.
but you say it is....I only watch it in corny american english (waiting for abuse!)
braddles
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ssj3main_vegeta wrote:
braddles wrote:
Requiem wrote:

I thought it was 4 eps per disc for the Japanese release.

I never saw a full set anywhere, so I'm basing that on seeing a bunch of DVDs in different places that covered the stages and movies. Last disk of second stage is definitely 3 ep: 11, 12, 13.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1002898430/did-0/code-j/section-videos/

SUPER COMPLETE BOX! probably this one

$1006.32 AU
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1002898430/did-0/code-j/section-videos/

SUPER COMPLETE BOX! probably this one

$1006.32 AU

*drools* I really want it.........
Incubus
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is another bundle pack for Initial D...Not sure if it's bootleg or not...if it is...i am very sorry.

BOOTLEG DON'T LINK AGAIN PLZ. There are no legit "bundle" packs of INitial d that contains the entire collection.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Incubus, they are bootlegs, please don't link to them again. If it says 3 disc complete boxset blah blah it's a bootleg no questions about it, it's just plain and simply a bootelg.
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i wondering when Initial D would and will come out in a perfect collection

that would be in ages.... Crying or Very sad

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

AND IT FINALLY COMES THANKYOU MADMAN U R THE BEST...

ISSY IS HAPPY
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Issy wrote:
i wondering when Initial D would and will come out in a perfect collection

that would be in ages.... Crying or Very sad

Indeedly. *waits impatiently for tokyopop to come to their senses and stop making tricked out version*
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im with you on that one ..Mr Waffle Wink

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
so how long is it going to take madman to release this anime as releasing 1 every couple of month's is a bit stupid, lets hope we get the full version of this anime as i quite enjoy watching it damn the americans they stuff up everything they touch, ohwell looks like we'll have to put up with it...
i wish the americans would leave all titles alone instead of adding real stupid special affects... while it looks real good to the eye if it don't add to the storyline it shouldn't be there.. like a promo shot would be ok though to splice it in halfway thruough a scene is dumb...

rock on next volume
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
black_ops wrote:
so how long is it going to take madman to release this anime

At this rate it should all be out by early next year... *hopes it speeds up*
Requiem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't blame madman for the release schedule. Blame tokyopop.
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
if this keeps up i think im going to die Crying or Very sad

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY
Kardith
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Issy wrote:

Then hurry and die and stop wasting my air. XP
Remxi
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the Inital D manga has been butchered at all? Apparently, Madman are releasing this first volume of it in May.
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kardith wrote:
Issy wrote:

Then hurry and die and stop wasting my air. XP

jeez aren't we a bit......fiesty here.

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY
braddles
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem wrote:

Yes, but if we blow up Tokyopop, for crimes against animanity and mangamanity, then we'll never see it. Can anyone think of a slower series release or one where the same company released the manga so much faster than the DVD? Are they trying to enforce literacy, now?
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
braddles wrote:
Requiem wrote:

Yes, but if we blow up Tokyopop, for crimes against animanity and mangamanity, then we'll never see it.

I hope NO ONE DARES........otherwise they have to answer to me...hehe Laughing

jokes..

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: