Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Subaru whips out the ugly stick once again.

Subaru whips out the ugly stick once again.
Author
Shana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Subaru whips out the ugly stick once again. Reply with quote
Well it's once again time for the new face-lift for the Impreza and Subaru has once again mercilessly hit the Impreza hard with the ugly stick. I was happy with the MY05's look but the MY06 is just plain ugly. It'll take me quite some time to get used to this new face-lift.

I sometimes wonder if the Japanese motor companies are competing to make the ugliest cars possible.

Specs: The WRX STi is rated at 206kW and 392Nm@4000rpm. It also has a 2.5L turbo-charged engine instead of the old 2.0L. I guess stroking the engine to 2.5L won't be the "thing" to do anymore. 0-100km/h dash remains unchanged from 5.4 seconds.

The WRX is rated at 169kW and 320Nm@3600rpm. It also get the new 2.5L. 0-100km/h dash also remains at 5.9 seconds.

Official Website: http://www.subaru.co.jp/impreza/wrx/exterior/index.html

Look at me, I want to be as ugly as an Alfa Romeo.

Not much of a difference from the MY05 on the side profile.

The back looks nice...luckily this is what most cars will be looking at.

I'm liking the power increase and tail-lights but the nose is just ugly.
MR_MR2
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since power and torque numbers haven't changed at all I wonder what difference the new 2.5L engine will make, maybe less lag?
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
*sigh* it was bound to happen. Crying or Very sad

~shinigami~ is right. it looks down right fulgy (i say that with great pains). but, seeing it in the flesh does it some justice. justice for the STI that is, nothing can save the standard WRX. the standard WRX i hate with a passion. it just doesn't look complete & the standard mags for it are totally wrong. Confused

~shinigami~ wrote:
Specs: The WRX STi is rated at 206kW and 392Nm@4000rpm. It also has a 2.5L turbo-charged engine instead of the old 2.0L. I guess stroking the engine to 2.5L won't be the "thing" to do anymore. 0-100km/h dash remains unchanged from 5.4 seconds.

The WRX is rated at 169kW and 320Nm@3600rpm. It also get the new 2.5L. 0-100km/h dash also remains at 5.9 seconds.

are they the Japanese specs? personally, i would want to keep to the 2.0 lt boxer because it's just such a stronger engine compared to the 2.5 lt. before we know it, people will be modding it to be a 3 lt, which defeats the whole purpose of a light weight turbo car.

MR_MR2 wrote:
Since power and torque numbers haven't changed at all I wonder what difference the new 2.5L engine will make, maybe less lag?

no disrespect Mr MR2, but i don't think that would be the case. i think, if anything, it will just give it more grunt in the lower end of the range.

i think people will take a long time to warm up to it (if they ever do) & makes the initial ( Razz ) public rejection of the "bug-eye" model pale in comparsion to this years. in a brighter light, it just makes me love my getting-rarer-by-the-day-in-townsville MY01 even more. *hug* Very Happy
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The starndard Impreza range doesn't do much for me (I don't hate it, it's just a bit plain) but the new STi... Well, I like it. A lot. To be honest, I'd almost consider trading my 'Line in for one. Almost Wink

The STi looks tough as, I reckon, and for those who can't see past their hatered of the new grille, I imagine it's only a matter of time till some aftermarket alternatives arise.

Prepare yourselves for the subjugation!
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
~Sauceman~ wrote:
I imagine it's only a matter of time till some aftermarket alternatives arise.

like an all new bonnet and grill? the MY06, other than the front end, (which isn't all that attractive) doesn't look that much different than its predecessors.

I don't think too many people who are into WRXs or STis are going for sleek styling. The appeal is more about the tough, robust look and feel of a car originally intended to go hard off road.
DXPetti
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Meh the new Subee's cannot compare with the first model before the bugs eyes (the one Bunta drives)

Oh and have they changed the WRX Blue colour....now it looks more purple-ish

EDIT: Just saw the WR-Limited 2005 edition and hell it flogs the STi in the looks IMO!

Last edited by DXPetti on Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dante wrote:
the range. i think people will take a long time to warm up to it (if they ever do) & makes the initial ( Razz ) public rejection of the "bug-eye" model pale in comparsion to this years. in a brighter light, it just makes me love my getting-rarer-by-the-day-in-townsville MY01 even more. *hug* Very Happy

When people complained about the "bug-eyes" look, I didn't know why they didn't like it. I had no problem with it. But the new Impreza is just...yuck. I know the performance is good which will probably be the factor that lessens my discontent for it.

Personally, my favourite is the MY05 STi. Just wondering what everyone's favourite model of the WRX?
Noir86FD
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
~shinigami~ wrote:

Personally, my favourite is the MY05 STi. Just wondering what everyone's favourite model of the WRX?

Any Model being snapped by an Evo...
Never been a fan of the Impreza range...

I found it slightly amusing that to compete with the new Evo IX, Subaru increased the displacement of their engine to match the Evo's power output (The Evo still running a 2.0 litre engine)
The peace of the newly born,
Their black hands protect...
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Me wonders why Mr Waffle hasn't posted in this thread yet. :-k
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noir86FD wrote:
I found it slightly amusing that to compete with the new Evo IX, Subaru increased the displacement of their engine to match the Evo's power output (The Evo still running a 2.0 litre engine)

Why do you think that? Evos and STis have always had near identical power & torque outputs because of WRC regulations. This hasn't changed with the Evo IX, nor the new STi... the 'increase' the IX brings to Australia is bringing it in line with the same power output the Evo has had in Japan for the last half a decade or so, until now the 'Aussie' (cough Moroccan) Evo has always been detuned to accept our crap fuel, and they've never bothered to fix the problem till now.

I don't know why the WRX has a bigger engine now, it could just be the same reason the yanks have had it for ages... either for a nicer torque curve or cause they're cheaper to make/tune from the factory. *shrug* I'm not an expert on the boxer engine, I just like their sound. =P~

~shinigami~ wrote:
Me wonders why Mr Waffle hasn't posted in this thread yet. :-k

No, you are.

edit: oops, and as for the look... I love the side profile, the back, the front lip... hmm... if you put your thumb up over the nose, it suddenly becomes one of the sexiest cars ever designed. Still not a huge fan of the grille, but I guess I'll survive. Not like I can afford it anyway Razz
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
if you put your thumb up over the nose, it suddenly becomes one of the sexiest cars ever designed.

Wrong! my thumb's too small. Sad

But you're right. When you block the front of the nose, it's so sexy.
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
~shinigami~ wrote:
When people complained about the "bug-eyes" look, I didn't know why they didn't like it. I had no problem with it. But the new Impreza is just...yuck. I know the performance is good which will probably be the factor that lessens my discontent for it.

well, here you go, enjoy. best of both worlds.

mine on the left, Dad's on the right.

~Sauceman~ wrote:
The starndard Impreza range doesn't do much for me (I don't hate it, it's just a bit plain) but the new STi... Well, I like it. A lot. To be honest, I'd almost consider trading my 'Line in for one. Almost Wink

i'd pay to see that! Razz
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
PregnantBob
Kuu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh by the way guys, i love the new look on the Subaru, not entirely sure if it's an improvement, but i do know the radical change can only bring more credibility in the design arena for Japanese engineering.

So go I'M TOO DUMB TO FIND OTHER WORDS TO USE SO I USE THE F WORD yourselves anyone who disagrees Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

honestly though, beauty and aesthetics i believe are purely subjective
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone had the chance to test drive one or had a ride in one yet? i would go to the local subaru dealership but i doubt that they would give the keys over to the new STI to a 20 yo Confused

i know two people in townsville that have the new MY06 WRX but didn't want to ride with either of them because one has only put ~200km on the car, is already redlining it & drives like a wanker & the other is an idiot, drives like a wanker & blinks so much that he sees the world like a strobe light. and thirdly, cause it's the standard WRX.
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
us young 'uns sure get discriminated against hey?

what you need to do is put your snazziest clothes on (you live in townsville yeah? anything other than thongs is pretty stylish), drive to the suburu dealership in your subaru, act rich and superior, point your car out to the guy and tell him you're thinking of trading in ol' bug-eyes for the latest model.

as long as you can maintain the charade (allude to some mythical well-paying job you have) it shouldn't be too hard. ask him to show you the car, then ask for a drive. it's not like you have to buy it.

then you'll be the first madboarder to drive one.
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
El_Haroldo wrote:
us young 'uns sure get discriminated against hey?

we sure do! Razz

El_Haroldo wrote:
what you need to do is put your snazziest clothes on (you live in townsville yeah? anything other than thongs is pretty stylish)

....hey, that's so....oh, wait *looks down*check. Razz

El_Haroldo wrote:
......drive to the suburu dealership in your subaru.....

check.
El_Haroldo wrote:
....act rich and superior...

check.

El_Haroldo wrote:
point your car out to the guy and tell him you're thinking of trading in ol' bug-eyes for the latest model.

che.....sacrilege! Razz

El_Haroldo wrote:
(allude to some mythical well-paying job you have)

check.

El_Haroldo wrote:
then you'll be the first madboarder to drive one.

woo!
Very Happy
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
El_Haroldo wrote:
allude to some mythical well-paying job you have

Hehe, that's what me and some mates from tafe did once. We were all wearing suits because of a presentation we had to do, and during lunch we went down to the Ford dealership and mentioned we were IT consultants- the result, a test drive of the (then new) XR8. Later one of them did it again and got to try the Evo VII *shakes fist*
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
El_Haroldo wrote:

Hehe, that's what me and some mates from tafe did once. We were all wearing suits because of a presentation we had to do, and during lunch we went down to the Ford dealership and mentioned we were IT consultants- the result, a test drive of the (then new) XR8. Later one of them did it again and got to try the Evo VII *shakes fist*

Wanna get some swanky suits and head out to Nissan, Mazda and Subaru on the weekend? Very Happy

Dante
BT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
~Sauceman~ wrote:
Mr Waffle wrote:
El_Haroldo wrote:

Wanna get some swanky suits and head out to Nissan, Mazda and Subaru on the weekend? Very Happy

i'm up for that......if i lived down south somewhere
but i don't think you'd need a suit to look swanky Sauce. Razz
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
looks like i'm not the only one to have the idea of getting free rides in brand-spanking new performance cars.

lying to a car salesman....interesting role-reversal.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
El_Haroldo wrote:
lying to a car salesman....interesting role-reversal.

hehehe. It's best to try at big dealerships, who are more likely to have demo models available- if they only have one model there, it's usually already sold to a customer, so they won't let you drive it (it happened to us at the Subaru dealership with a WRX). Which is why it's easier to do it at Holden/Ford dealerships, since they tend to stock a couple mid-range performance cars...

~Sauceman~ wrote:

You're too much of a babyface, it'd never work Razz *pinches cheek*
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
;-----;

It'll work! We'll just borrow your mums Lexus to park outside in! XD

El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:

Which is why it's easier to do it at Holden/Ford dealerships, since they tend to stock a couple mid-range performance cars...

by mid-range you mean family cars with massively overpowered (260KW+) V8s?

the BA XR6 turbo is nice. the XR8 doesn't appeal to me. nor does the GT or GT-P, though it would be cool to say i'd driven one. Although I drive a VL, in terms of modern holdens, there's nothing special. Engine capacity is now 6L in the newest Clubsport, and for it's 8 cylinders it has 16 valves. not very high tech.

To get this back on topic, i really wouldn't mind a drive of the new STi, just to see how the 2.5L engine feels different to the 2.0L of every other subaru. does it have a new gearbox? I'm underwhelmed to say the least about the gearbox in the subaru i drive regularly.
DXPetti
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I heard a whisper that the 2.5L engine the in WRX & RS (whatever its called now) is an American Spec engine not Japanese Spec

/me has bad memories of the engine in American 180sx's/240sx ::sick::
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
El_Haroldo wrote:

To get this back on topic, i really wouldn't mind a drive of the new STi, just to see how the 2.5L engine feels different to the 2.0L of every other subaru. does it have a new gearbox?

i would assume that the MY06 WRX would have the standard 5-speed gearbox while the STI would have the 6-speed (that they most likely borrowed straight from the MY05). if that's so, it's a good gearbox. the "throw" on it a little too big for my liking, but the clutch is suprisingly light (compared to mine) & the gears have a nice overall ratio. finding 6th gear was little akward at first but i got the hang of it. it's meant to be a fairly strong 'lil box too.

El_Haroldo wrote:
I'm underwhelmed to say the least about the gearbox in the subaru i drive regularly.

what model subaru is it? i know the MY99-00 box is quite "notchy" & rough, the MY01 still "notchy" but smoother (and almost un-breakable as i have proven Embarassed ) & beyond that i got nfi apart from the MY05.
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
on the power aspect alone the evo will always beat the subaru, no way a 4cil can compete with a 6cil engine for horsepower..

the reason 2.5lt engine feels different from the standard 2.0lt engine, due to the fact the 2.5lt engine has more horsepower, so the throttle is going to be slightly heavier than the standard 2.0lt, pending on how you have your thottle setup in the subaru...
~shinigami~
Shana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
black_ops wrote:
on the power aspect alone the evo will always beat the subaru, no way a 4cil can compete with a 6cil engine for horsepower..

Sorry but you're wrong. Again. The Evo and the STi are both 4 bangers and have always had similar power.

An Evo will not always beat a STi, it depends on the model. Some STi
models were better than the Evo and some Evos were better than there
STi counterparts at the time.

EDIT:

black_ops wrote:
the reason 2.5lt engine feels different from the standard 2.0lt engine, due to the fact the 2.5lt engine has more horsepower, so the throttle is going to be slightly heavier than the standard 2.0lt, pending on how you have your thottle setup in the subaru...

I don't know what the hell you're saying...
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
black_ops wrote:

Just stop talking before you make yourself look like even more of an idiot than everyone already thinks you are.

Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
black_ops wrote:
on the power aspect alone the evo will always beat the subaru, no way a 4cil can compete with a 6cil engine for horsepower.

I wish to consume whatever drugs black_ops does, so I can access his weird alternate reality where the Evo has a 6pot. Though I imagine walking around on my hands all the time and having to avoid the human-eating hamburgers would get tiresome...
PregnantBob
Kuu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let's not bash the fellow for not doing his homework...

though the assumption that more cyclinders necessary means more power...well
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got screamed past by a P-Plater in the poverty-pack version of the MY06 Impreza.

It was... uh... Bland and ugly without a scoop or spoiler :/

DXPetti
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the new Impreza has grown on me, dont ask me how but its not as bad as I first thought.
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw an Impreza blue '06 WRX in the flesh today. It didn't look horrific, but that nose doens't do it any favours. The back of it struck me as unreasonably large (proportionatly) compared to the rest of it. No love for the fat-bottomed girl from me.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: