Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

What DVD features do you want to see? The SEQUEL

What DVD features do you want to see? The SEQUEL
Author
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: What DVD features do you want to see? The SEQUEL Reply with quote
The last thread for this was brockeeen.. so please use this one to continue discussion. Please use the other thread (located here) as a reference.

^_^ Zedstar (happy-moderator-type)
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to put my two pennies worth in and I know some of these are unlikely to happen but you did ask what I would want to see, in no particular order:

1. Preferably the uncut version but better yet if two cuts exist (say director's versus theatrical cut) then seamless branching is the way to go. I take it Australian software houses can do seamless branching?

2. Original language Full Rate DTS, Original language DD2.0 Surround.

3. If a dub is included please don't use any 5.1 format for it, it just wastes space IMO, DD2.0 Surround is great for dubs.

4. The original aspect ratio and anamorphic if applicable.

5. Subtitles and not dubtitles. Even if the subtitles are new it doesn't mean they should be dubtitles, my personal preference is white with a black border but I don't mind yellow with a black border.

6. If the DVD is non-anamorphic please make the subtitles anamorphic friendly. It's not nice zooming in to find the subtitles have been cut off. Idealy have two sets of subtitles (which some DVDs do very well) one for WS TVs and one for 4:3 TVs.

7. No forced subtitles if you choose a particular language, while I would be surprised to see, this it's worth mentioning. Many French and German DVDs in particular have great releases but are unwatchable because when choosing the original language the subtitles cannot be turned off and when incidentally watching with the dub they cannot be turned on.

8. Preferably Region 2 and 4 encoded (Hong Kong Legends have been nice to you guys and released their DVD's dual encoded please do the same ) or better yet Region 0. This doesn't bother me but I do lend my DVDs to friends who aren't multi-region.

9. As for extras my favourite extra is a big in-depth documentary with the main players discussing the film followed by a commentary and deleted scenes.
Mister Gil
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If a dub is included please don't use any 5.1 format for it, it just wastes space IMO, DD2.0 Surround is great for dubs.

With all due respect brad, that's a pretty selfish thing to suggest. There are people who enjoy watching dubs and to give it inferior sound is not exactly a fair call. If a dub is to be included, it shouldn't be purposely downgraded in quality just cause.

In fact, in terms of audio I would actually suggest to always keep the original audio mix for the film. That's priority number one in terms of the audio. If it was original in mono then have the mono track. If it was stereo, then have the stereo track and so on. After that, the remixes could be put out.

However, what DOES indeed waste space is a DTS track for a film that was originally in mono. That would actually be a waste of space to use a full bitrate DTS track on a remixed mono track unless it was a a film originally done in Dolby Digital or even DTS.

I think I've stated the others before but here it goes again for my suggestions:

-Well written, subtitle translation directly of the original audio track.

-NO HARD Subtitles. All subs should be optional, even if it's for translations of signs, songs, etc.. Just create a separate subtitle track for those specific parts. This would be great for someone watching a dub for example and also great for someone who actually can understand the language of the film being spoken and doesn't need translations for text, songs, and whatnot.

-Full UNCUT versions are a must. Any other versions are secondary if they are chosen to be included somehow. A streaming feature for different versions is actually not a bad idea unless such a feature would result in a viewing experience that's anything but seamless (meaning with disruptive, obvious pauses). If that's the case then it's not worth it.

-Anything decent in terms of extras really. I am not really demanding so much in that department mostly because I care more about the presentation of the film. However, putting my two cents in, I would like to see really good new trailers done for the films. I'm a bit of a trailer whore you see, and great trailers I like watching again and again. Very Happy

I would suggest not to overload the disc, with the feature on it, with too many extras to ensure high bitrates on video and audio. If it becomes too much stuff to put on one disc, then just make it a two disc set. Very Happy

I'm out

Last edited by Mister Gil on Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:20 am; edited 4 times in total
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mister Gil is on the money. Cool
Zedstar
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
Mister Gil is on the money. Cool

*agrees*

Particularly about creating a bulkier audio track that is of lower quality.

For trailers- I would appreciate if there were subtitling available for them too.

^_^ Zedstar
Remxi
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone explain to me the benefit of having both a 5.1 DD track *and* a 5.1 DTS track present on a DVD? If they can't, then I think it's a waste of space putting both of these on a single film (doubt that both would be available anyways, but just to be sure).
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
DTS allows a higher bitrate audio compared to Dolby Digital, hence allowing a 'better' sound quality. To be honest, the sound quality is virutally identical for the two formats (provided the same audio source is used for both).
Chris
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah DTS is getting close to a multichannel PCM-type stream (due to its light compression). Having been able to compare DTS and DD closely on a good system a lot recently, DTS does sound better.

I think there is a perceptible loss in the compression and "dialogue normalisation" that DD employs. But it still sounds great.
Requiem
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
One quick note for those who mightn't know: You cannot play the DTS track without the appropriate hardware. So if it was just DTS, a lot of people wouldn't get any sound at all.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Requiem, Dolby Digial and/or MPEG-1/MPEG-2 audio track(s) are always incuded on DVDs as a standard. DTS is usually an added bonus for DVDs.
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mister Gil wrote:
With all due respect brad, that's a pretty selfish thing to suggest. There are people who enjoy watching dubs and to give it inferior sound is not exactly a fair call. If a dub is to be included, it shouldn't be purposely downgraded in quality just cause.

You've made some very valid points there and I really can't complain at them.

I'd forgotten some people do actually prefer dubs and for this reason I think HKL have got it about right. For most of their releases you get English or Cantonese (it's usually Cantonese anyway) in a for the most part a fair DD5.1 format. What I mean by this, is they are not to over the top considering the mono source (having said that, some could be improved by HKL taking some risks with the surround channels for example).

Although I do think that the original soundtrack should be given that little more precedence than a dub (and if a dub is included please only one dub for example English and not Spanish, French, Hungarian etc....)

I guess to please everyone, the following needs to be included:

* OST Mono/Stereo etc...
* Re-mixed OST DD5.1
* English dub DD5.1
* Re-mixed OST DTS (if suitable)

Considering the OST Mono or Stereo takes very little space up there really is no reason to not include it and following on from my earlier comment that the OST needs to have a higher precedence, Dub DTS soundtracks do seriously just waste space.

Quote:
In fact, in terms of audio I would actually suggest to always keep the original audio mix for the film. That's priority number one in terms of the audio. If it was original in mono then have the mono track. If it was stereo, then have the stereo track and so on. After that, the remixes could be put out.

While I agree in essence to your comment here, you are actually contracting yourself by same re-mixes should go as many people (myself included) generally prefer them to the Mono/Stereo equivalent.

Quote:
However, what DOES indeed waste space is a DTS track for a film that was originally in mono. That would actually be a waste of space to use a full bitrate DTS track on a remixed mono track unless it was a a film originally done in Dolby Digital or even DTS.

Again while I agree in essence, if a DTS/DD5.1 re-mix is done well it sounds much, much better than the Mono/Stereo equivalent, for example (and I know this is a pretty controversial statement) the Terminator re-mix from a Mono source sounds amazing. I know it features extra folly etc... effects but from a technical point of view it's very good.

Also going on from your statement Gil, DD5.1 is actually as useless as DTS but as it takes much less space up, I'm willing to agree for a mono source it's of higher importance.
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Remxi wrote:
Can someone explain to me the benefit of having both a 5.1 DD track *and* a 5.1 DTS track present on a DVD? If they can't, then I think it's a waste of space putting both of these on a single film (doubt that both would be available anyways, but just to be sure).

DTS vs. DD5.1 will never have an outright winner, a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

I for example the majority of the time can notice a difference between DTS over DD5.1, examples being:

* The Korean DVD of Shiri (this sounds much better)
* The R1 DVD of Terminator 2
* The HK DVD of Frida (this sounds a touch better)
* The Dutch DVD of Mulholland Drive (this is a lot, lot better than the equivalent DD5.1)
* The UK R2 of Musa: The Warrior (I know the film is cut but the DTS is certainly much better)

But equally some DTS soundtracks sound the same or just simply of a louder volume to the DD5.1 soundtrack, examples being:

* The UK R2 of The Two Towers (they sound exactly the same IMO)
* The HK DVD of Hero (the DTS is merely louder)
* The Korean LE of My Sassy Girl (I've not heard this film in DD5.1 as the DVD only has DTS or DD2.0 but the full-rate DTS is really nothing special and considering the film is mostly speech anyway I really can't see DD5.1 being any worse).

I do believe there is enough there to warrant DTS at least being considered and as Chris rightly says DTS is much closer to uncompressed PCM (which like full-rate DTS is 1536Kbps, okay full-rate DTS is actually in practice 1509Kbps). It's also worth mentioning IMO even half-rate DTS often sounds better to DD5.1 (it's still a good deal higher than full-rate DD5.1 at 448Kbps).

Personally it annoys me when people say "what's the point including DTS when it sounds the same as DD5.1?" and they forget to add "in my opinion".

Lastly it's worth mentioning it's possible to encode DTS into a PCM stream (like DTS CDs for example) and therefore making it as compatible as DD5.1 (well as long as your amp supports 5.1 digital sound that is) but it's something they don't do so yes DTS is only compatible with DTS compliant amps.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Often the differences you hear between DTS and DD5.1 is due to the differing mastering mix used on the audio streams. From a listening viewpoint, I find no significant difference between the two formats.

Apparently there is a paper on this matter, called Dolby v DTS: The academic viewpoint, which explores the difference between the 2 formats. I never read the paper myself, but apparently the test results indicated that there is inperceptible difference between the two, especially when the same mastering mix was used.

Changing your speaker system will make more difference than switching from DD5.1 to DTS.

On a side note, DD5.1 uses a lossy data compression, while DTS uses a loss-less data compression.
Mister Gil
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
While I agree in essence to your comment here, you are actually contracting yourself by same re-mixes should go as many people (myself included) generally prefer them to the Mono/Stereo equivalent.

Don't know how I contradicted myself with that comment. I made it quite clear actually. Perhaps you misinterpreted this comment, "After that, the remixes could be put out" as if I was saying to "leave them out." When I wrote that the remixes could be put out, I meant it in the context that they could be released. Put on the DVD. That's what I mean by "out."

Again while I agree in essence, if a DTS/DD5.1 re-mix is done well it sounds much, much better than the Mono/Stereo equivalent, for example (and I know this is a pretty controversial statement) the Terminator re-mix from a Mono source sounds amazing.

Well brad, the DD 5.1 EX for Terminator was mixed at the Skywalker ranch which is not a surprise why it was so good. Besides, it's a DD EX track, not a DTS track. Wink

Most 5.1 remixes for HK films that I have heard on Western DVD's were the ones given to them by the HK companies and those sound technicians are nowhere near the level of the people at the Skywalker ranch. Although I will mention that the 5.1 remix on Universe's Wheels on Meals is awesome and probably the single best 5.1 remix of a HK film that I have ever heard. Too bad that DVD is cut though. Sad

Anyway, that's why I mention a DTS track for a remixed mono track is mostly useless. The French DVD of Tai Chi Master for example had DTS track for the French track which was useless. The remix was from the HK producers and was really subpar. The regular DD5.1 of the English track on it was superior and no surprise since it was mixed by Disney themselves (and raped by them also).
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't know how I contradicted myself with that comment. I made it quite clear actually. Perhaps you misinterpreted this comment, "After that, the remixes could be put out" as if I was saying to "leave them out." When I wrote that the remixes could be put out, I meant it in the context that they could be released. Put on the DVD. That's what I mean by "out."

LOL I did. It must be one of those culture differences we hear about Very Happy

Quote:
Well brad, the DD 5.1 EX for Terminator was mixed at the Skywalker ranch which is not a surprise why it was so good. Besides, it's a DD EX track, not a DTS track. Wink

Sorry I merely was talking about 5.1 re-mixes and not DTS specifically.
Mister Gil
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's something that just came to mind.

On a lot of the Asian films being released nowadays, mostly with Korean films, there are commentary tracks.

I think it would be great to have those commentary tracks translated on the DVD's as a lable like Medusa just have Bey Logan doing thier commentaries, which is great, but there is just no subsitute to having people like the cast, director, etc from the actual film lending their experinaces and info on the mike.

It would be a fantastic treat to have especially with a lot of the Korean films which almost all have commentary tracks, but I don't understand what they are saying.

So, hopefully that can be considered. Smile
Yi-Long
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gil... u mean subtitling the original commentaries, or letting english speakers dub those commentaries or something!?
Personally, I'd prefer the korean commentary tracks with english subs...
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can say with 100% (okay 95%) Gil means original language with English subtitles.

Although to be honest I can't see this happening. I would imagine it would be a huge task (which unlike IMO HKL's reason of the commentaries not working outside of the country, this is the real reason). It would be nice though.

I personally would prefer the commentaries to be dubbed over, instead of subtitled as I can find commentaries a little hard going at the best of times so I doubt I'd actually end up using one of it were subtitled. Things like lip-syncing is not an issue for a start, as long as the voice actors don't have really stupid accents though. All IMO of course.

AFAIK only the big studios ever subtitle commentaries. I know Paramount and Columbia Tri-star have anyway.

Tachikoma wrote:
Often the differences you hear between DTS and DD5.1 is due to the differing mastering mix used on the audio streams.

While I'm sure that maybe true it still results in a better sound.

I believe there is no difference to this and say higher bitrate mp3's, and super-bit DVDs both make a difference (sometimes slight, sometimes a great deal and other times not at all) to the end quality result.

Tachikoma wrote:
Changing your speaker system will make more difference than switching from DD5.1 to DTS.

True but then again if you change your speaker system and listen to DTS it will still sound better (assuming you are using the same DVD). You are bringing up a different argument.

DTS and speakers aren't related (well in the way I mean anyway).

Smile
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
True but then again if you change your speaker system and listen to DTS it will still sound better (assuming you are using the same DVD). You are bringing up a different argument.

DTS and speakers aren't related (well in the way I mean anyway).

True, but if someone is "craving" for a dramatic increase in sound quality, he/she is better off upgrading the hardware. That was my point.
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, you've got me there Very Happy
Mister Gil
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yi-Long wrote:
Gil... u mean subtitling the original commentaries, or letting english speakers dub those commentaries or something!?
Personally, I'd prefer the korean commentary tracks with english subs...

Bradavon knows what I mean. Wink Subtitled.
jinsenblade
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really enjoyed reading the essay by David Stratton into the Seven Samurai's history and so forth. I think, maybe an expansion on that booklet idea would be really great.

Actor profiles, director profiles, what other movies may interest the viewer if they like the one they just purchased. I realised these damn bits of paper cost alot to make, but it'd be nice to see something like that. (Or at leasted digitised and included on the dvd).
bradavon
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jinsenblade wrote:
what other movies may interest the viewer if they like the one they just purchased.

As long as the recommendations actually make sense. So many of these recommendations by studios and the like are laughable, as they are so far removed from the film in question.
Kloppy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another pretty cool thing (where applicable) would be some sort of study guide. Film references made, symbolism and expansion on relationships or perhaps the history of the film setting (e.g. Edo era)

Definately not needed for all films- it would look almost silly in some of the more modern Eastern Eye releases.
Shambler_2
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well done on Yojimbo and Seven Samurai.

Since you are giving the opportunity for suggestions, I thought I might take you up on that.

One major thing I would like to see (in all Asian DvD's really) is translations for "signage" - even if it is obvious. This could be done like in the Akira release where you can click at certain times and it will put to english next to the kanjii or whatever. Or perhaps having a second, more informative subtitle track that puts the translation of signs in.

Anothing thing that would be nice is a commentry track by a film expert/historian about that movie. I have seen this in a few Asian DvD's and found it fascinating.

Keep up the good work!
bigboy_withoutpants
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i wanna see previews/music videos with kareoke subtitles. i wanna sing along, in the original language.
soma
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Introduction of 2 disc sets for the more renowned / important releases on Eastern Eye with more of the extras that are available in Japan or Asia, although subtitled of course... and if sales are predicted to be high (ie: Twilight Samurai next year perhaps) then well designed box packaging (ie: Donnie Darko Director's Cut LE or Sprited Away LE).
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ALL VIDEO AND AUDIO AT THE HIGHEST BITRATE POSSIBLE! (Relative to the length of the movie, of course. A movie over two hours will not fit at 8Mb/sec on a single dula layer DVD)

But please don't do that at the expense of subtitles.....
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Subs take up virtually nothing in comparision. Each subtitle stream is like 6MB in total.
Mobe1969
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
1. Proper PAL transfers, not cruddy low grade ntsc conversions

That's it.
ArabianEye
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just copy whatever the American Criterion collection is doing.

I don't watch Anime or Manga often except for Studio Ghibli films, Im the segment of your market who watchs Eastern Eye films and classic/foreign films (Eg, Rififi, Head On, YiYi, etc), so what Im mainly looking for are;

1. Documentaries that discuss the film and the impact the film has had on society or a particular person (Eg, documntaries that were on the Criterion collection for Battle of Algiers, Tokyo Ga documentary, etc)
2. Making of documentaries, takes through the process of how the film was made from pre-production to post-production.
3. Interviews (Eg, with film the director, writer, cast, film critic, eg), and
4. Essays, a great reference guide for people who do Cinema Studies
dankorocks
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please just put extras on the discs, deleted scenes, making of, commentary. I was going to order Nicotina from madman but have found that there is a spanish release with a bunch of extras.

I really hope you do a good job of The Aura, and transfer the extras from the Argentian/Spanish disc onto the madman release, this is a awesome film and since the director sadly passed away, any extras would be really special!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: