Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

What do you think of Madman as a company?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
What do you think of Madman as a company?
Author
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: What do you think of Madman as a company? Reply with quote
to me i think that its doing great

i hope that they will keep up the great work that they are doing with the anime titles coming out.

Very Happy

anyway so what are your thoughts guys Razz

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

AND IT FINALLY COMES THANKYOU MADMAN U R THE BEST...

ISSY IS HAPPY
Animelover.be
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think they should have something like this in the benelux also Smile
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recon they do good work.
They're DVDs are much improved. Fewer glitches, and a higher standard than ever. Boxes for series are especially nice now. Not flimsy cardboard like earlier efforts with Evangelion.
They licence a wider range of titles than what they used to, even delving into sub only titles, which at one time they hesitated to even try. The same with Shoujo titles like Fruits Basket, which they once hesitated to look into. It's a pity that ADV Sailor Moon licence expired. It would of been interesting to see how Madman handled that release. Ah, well.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They are doing really great. I hope that Madman continue to do great work as they have one very loyal customer right here.
falk
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aside from the strong feeling that I, as an end consumer, get from the prices being more expensive than the competition [edit:- I do apologise -- I meant to say "resellers"](that feeling being that I am too small and insignificant to do business with, though if I throw them enough money they will deign to do so), no problems at all.

Last edited by falk on Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Urd
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll have to agree as well....
They're growing faster as the main anime producer in Australia, actually, the ONLY anime producer in Australia hahah....

I just hope they become big enough to start producing titles themselves....
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same here. I always buy Madmans DVD releases even though importing lots and lots of R1 DVDs is very, very tempting.... Surprised
Koutetsu_Kun
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I love Madman! If it's possible, then I'd always choose Madman over other companies, they do great work and try their hardest to bring us the stuff we want! They've even started releasing Manga, which has certainly made me very happy, (patiently awaiting the rest of Tenchi) and they're trying new things, like Asian Cinema and Sub only releases.
Remxi
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aside from a few minor issues (just small things slipping through QC), Madman are going strong. They have improved greatly over their first couple of releases, in both packaging and content. The have also improved by branching out into niche markets (sub only, Mezzo, etc.) and including other medium's such as manga and asian cinema in their catalogue.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah, thumbs up for madman. Cool they're doing a good job.
Lain|v2
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
They seem like a quality company working their asses off to bring us lots of titles and thats exactly whats happening. Very Happy

There are some moments when I raise my brow though Razz

edit - On a more serious note I am not sure if the name "MadMan Entertainment" is helping to bring anime to a wider audience... though the company name is probably irrelevant in the grand scheme of things ~ Just my opinion.
Urd
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lain.v2 wrote:
They seem like a quality company working their asses off to bring us lots of titles and thats exactly whats happening. Very Happy

There are some moments when I raise my brow though Razz

edit - On a more serious note I am not sure if the name "MadMan Entertainment" is helping to bring anime to a wider audience... though the company name is probably irrelevant in the grand scheme of things ~ Just my opinion.

I personally think that soon, for madman, the name will be very important.... I think that through advertising, the name will be relevant... Especially if they start probing out TV screens with anime Very Happy
Bing
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Moving to Sugguestions and Feedback, the most appropiate place for this.

-Bing
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Madman are doing very well, I'm very impressed especially with their last few months of releases. Good work, and I'll continue to support them. Smile
Trunk's Girl
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tallis wrote:
It's a pity that ADV Sailor Moon licence expired. It would of been interesting to see how Madman handled that release. Ah, well.

So MM are definitely not releasing uncut Sailor Moon now?
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
definately improving from what i've seen - although i have to admit i haven't bought any new madman disks for about 4 months (i'm trying to cut back my spending).

Some great titles being licenced and often released with very little delay after the R1's (and well before the T2 UK versions).
Lain|v2
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Urd wrote:
Especially if they start probing out TV screens with anime Very Happy

That would be cool Very Happy
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Trunk's Girl wrote:
Tallis wrote:
It's a pity that ADV Sailor Moon licence expired. It would of been interesting to see how Madman handled that release. Ah, well.

For the time being yes. There's always a chance in the future.
oogi2000
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess Madman is doing good. But their replacement program seriously needs a reworking. Just ask Zorin about this fact. Smile
Stephen
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote
You guys seriously don't have any other better things to discuss on this board then some companys efforts which mean no concern to yourself. And to me seems abit useless and not informative? Arrow Very Odd!.
Bing
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote
Stephen wrote:
You guys seriously don't have any other better things to discuss on this board then some companys efforts which mean no concern to yourself. And to me seems abit useless and not informative? Arrow Very Odd!.

Ehh???? Are you even aware what Madman do? This post has trolling written all over it.

FYI, Madman are the company that licenses and produces the anime DVDs that are being sold here in Australia. These DVDs are the ones we buy and watch our favourite shows on. Hence, since they make the DVDs, we can give them feedback on the quality of them, and helping them improve their products.

I don't think any one needs to reply to that post, except Stephen himself/herself if her wished to explain himself.
Stephen
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote
Explain myself? Well i guess I didn't put what i mean't to say more clearly so this is what i mean't

I was looking down and reading most of all the replys posted in this Forum and noticed nothing. But the same comment? And this information is not feedback in any means this Forum actually makes no sense and insults yours, and everyone elses intelligences who have replied to this I shouldn't of commented anyways at which I apoligize.

And at most counts this is just proberly a feudral attempt for people to get higher "Posts" counts.
Idea
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
He's got a point, really.

This thread is pretty useless. It's only telling Madman what they already know, pretty much.

Personally, I think Madman do a good job for the materials they get, but I think there's a lot of room for improvement, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Urd
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote
Stephen wrote:
Explain myself? Well i guess I didn't put what i mean't to say more clearly so this is what i mean't

I was looking down and reading most of all the replys posted in this Forum and noticed nothing. But the same comment? And this information is not feedback in any means this Forum actually makes no sense and insults yours, and everyone elses intelligences who have replied to this I shouldn't of commented anyways at which I apoligize.

And at most counts this is just proberly a feudral attempt for people to get higher "Posts" counts.
Idea

Well, what you're saying is very idealistic... But in reality, feedback as simple as "you're doing great" influences the higher ups, having about 10 of the same message makes it more powerfull, having 50 or even 100 posts of how great madman is doing shows that their system of production is ont he right track....

In the Market, this will either mean, they will continue their process, or use surplus funds to expand and re-create itself.... Madman started off releasing anime, then moved into sub only and then asian cinema... All because people not only asked for it, but they gave feedback such as the previous posts....

On the other note... Good work madman, keep those collectors boxes comming out.... I love the art on Noir, and Abenobashi box... In my opinion, better than the ones found int he states.... But can we get a Eva box for everything? Please Wink
Stephen
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you think of Madman as a company? Reply with quote
Issy wrote:
T me i think that its doing great

Ihope that they will keep up the great work that they are doing with the anime titles coming out.

Very Happy

anyway so what are your thoughts guys Razz

Well, Urd you seem to have everythign wrapped up in a neat little package.

But tell me does the Forum message above really say "Madman Marketing suggestions"It's either i'm blind or you seem to be in a different world.I am just saying that this Forum is paticular nothing more nothing less. The feedback you are after and trying to use agasint me is not in this Forum and so your just pointing out the obvious.

I was never pointing out that "Feedback" was bad but just that this Forum made no sense in the terms of "Feedback"
Cyclone
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only game in town locally.

Though that could be my Mospeada bias tainting my view somewhat Smile

Cyc
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote
Stephen wrote:

StorminNorman wrote:
This thread is pretty useless. It's only telling Madman what they already know, pretty much.

Wether it's pointless or not, or wether it achieves anything is irrelevant. This thread exist for anime fans to express their opinion about Madman. People are entitled to leave both positive and negitive feedback about this company if they want to. That said, many threads I've seen so far are petty complaints in various forms, so it's a nice change to see something positive once in a while. I'm sure Madman staff would appreciate a few compliments now & then, because I would.
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Up with Madman Very Happy

Anime News Network Australia
Blue Hiker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think Madman rocks.

But since we're allowed to complain...

I guess Madman DVDs are a little too expensive. Because DVD prices are so competitive these days you can usually find prices well below RRP if you shop around a bit, but the RRP prices themselves often struggle just to compete with the cost of importing it yourself. I do understand, however, that Madman is a relatively small company and they have some pretty big overheads.

Also, Madman basically runs the anime scene in Australia (since they hold almost all the distribution rights!) and therefore they need to not only diversify *what* they distribute, but *how* they get it out there. Don't get me wrong, they already do this -- but I can't help but feel that maybe there's room to expand even more, especially in the TV arena. I know Madman is probably making a killing (considering their size) licensing stuff like Dragon Ball Z/GT, but just as an example, I still think it'd be a great idea for Madman to find a slightly more mature anime series with some level of mass-market appeal and approach the commercial TV networks looking to get it shown in a late night timeslot. Even if Madman got a raw deal, it'd be a great growth opportunity. I mean, come on, we're talking midnight or thereabouts, surely someone other than SBS would at least be willing to give it a shot for a few weeks and "take it from there". Or maybe I'm just living in the dream world of an anime fan. I don't know. Razz

So those are my complaints, but they're hardly major gripes. Keep up the good work, Madman. Cool
Requiem
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think madman are doing great, and I also think that threads like these are important to balance out all the negative threads (of which we are seeing less and less of now). And this is feedback - we are telling madman how good a job we think they are doing. If that isn't feedback I don't know what is.
raVen
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know If its just me but does that Stephen guy like to argue a lot?

anyways... I think MM are grand however I'm inclined to agree on the fact that the RRP is a tad pricey on some titles. Perhaps if it was dropped even 2 or 3 dollars it would be much easier on the pockets... or even if they lowered the price on just the first volume of the series'? I know that seem a bit dodgy but I think it would be good. I don't know about you but I generally buy the first DVD of a series and once I've decided if it's good I will normally always continue collecting the whole series. If the first DVD is lowered in price then maybe it would encourage people to buy even more new series'.

Formerly known as CYB3r_R4V3N
Registered since July 2001 and still haven't hit the 1000 post mark!

www.GameUnder.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Crapknight
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Madman itself usually does a good job, however their replicator is a different story. I haven't had any problems with Madman discs themselves (although my friend did with Bowling for Columbine), but they still manage to stuff up simple tasks (like inserting booklets). Surely, for their customers, they could trial another replicator?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
no_need_for_nick
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote
Stephen wrote:

I've seen some of your other posts and all you do is complain about madman and all that. So what if people want to congratulate Madman on the amazing effort they put in for us, if you have nothing nice to say/type/post then keep away from this board.

Yeah I think Madman do a great job and yeah I've never had to import because they have what I want but if you release Cardcaptor sakura I won't ever have to import Very Happy *nudge*
Stephen
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lately from seeing my own actions it reminded me of a famous Albert Einstien Quote which was.

"If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X+Y+Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."
- Albert Einstein

Yet I noticed I've have done niether. Shocked
scottish ninja
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good releases, still room for improvement (there never is a perfect company) but keep up the good work ^^
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Trunk's Girl wrote:
Tallis wrote:

For the time being yes. There's always a chance in the future.

so does that mean.............that there is STILL HOPE? Very Happy

........as i expected this company is full of surprises
Wink

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Issy, stop deliberately double and triple posting. As I warned you before, I'm just going to delete your additional posts.
Dizrythmia
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply with quote
no_need_for_nick wrote:
if you have nothing nice to say/type/post then keep away from this board.

Why??? We have been asked for opinions so we should all give them good or bad. I've expressed my opinon often enough. Needless to say it's not positive, & for it I am an avid importer, BUT I get the best stuff with a minimum of fuss or problems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
no_need_for_nick
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dizrythmia I wasn't reffering to his opinion of Madman but of this bored and how he thought this bored was a waste of time thats all he can say what ever he wants about the company as that is the point of this bored but saying its pointless then why post on it?
Samurai Girl
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wonder about Madman's pricing too. IIRC, they upped their standard price from $30 to $35 when the dollar was down at US50c, so it made sense in terms of costs to them for licences etc. But now the dollar is up to nearly US80c. So can't Madman come back down to $30 now?
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Samurai Girl wrote:
I wonder about Madman's pricing too. IIRC, they upped their standard price from $30 to $35 when the dollar was down at US50c, so it made sense in terms of costs to them for licences etc. But now the dollar is up to nearly US80c. So can't Madman come back down to $30 now?

They have.
Samurai Girl
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Schroedinger's_Cat wrote:
Samurai Girl wrote:

They have.

Hmm, so they have. I was thinking of the Nadesico movie and the Love Hina specials which are sadly $35. Apologies for my stupidity. Good onya Madman. So why are people whinging about their prices?
oogi2000
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Hmm, so they have. I was thinking of the Nadesico movie and the Love Hina specials which are sadly $35. Apologies for my stupidity. Good onya Madman. So why are people whinging about their prices?

I guess that some DVDs are $35 with very little content i.e. Nadesico movie.
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shinannth wrote:
Issy, stop deliberately double and triple posting. As I warned you before, I'm just going to delete your additional posts.

......its just that when i do that i am refering to different people with quotes ........is there a way to to refer to different people using quotes in the same post...............im sorry to annoy you Shinnanth

i guess i am still a newbie Crying or Very sad

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Movies and specials and full ova collections like Read or Die will usually be priced at $35RRP. Series titles are now at a streamline $29.95 each volume.

Collector's boxes are also coming down in price. Soyeah we heard you wanted lower prices we gave it to ya Smile
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think Madman is a great company. I think they'd be better if they had some decent competition though. It's a bit sad that the US can manage something like 10 anime DVD companies and we can only support one, even with the same number of titles available.

- mib
Issy
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:

Collector's boxes are also coming down in price. So yeah we heard you wanted lower prices we gave it to ya Smile

YAY........so therefore this is proof...............MADMAN is a MADDD COMPANY....... Laughing ..... Smile

Very Happy

PROJECT A-KO ^_^

ISSY IS HAPPY
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Issy wrote:
Shinannth wrote:

......its just that when i do that i am refering to different people with quotes ........is there a way to to refer to different people using quotes in the same post...............im sorry to annoy you Shinnanth

You can use the 'edit' button, then you can copy the text that you want to quote from the topic review and use the quote tags.
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mib wrote:
I think Madman is a great company. I think they'd be better if they had some decent competition though. It's a bit sad that the US can manage something like 10 anime DVD companies and we can only support one, even with the same number of titles available.

- mib

What about Siren?

*Ducks and hides*
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
*Pulls out huge axe and a few baseball bats*
What about them? eh?

Siren do have a few nice titles they've managed to get their hands on. However, they still manage to make some mistakes with their releases. It's not like Madman don't make mistakes, but Siren seems to be more frequent with them appearing. and they're just simple things usually, mainly dealin with their subtitles and covers. Though, I believe it wont be too long till Siren begin pulling their heads in and release alot more problem free releases. They're finally beginning to get their act together and with a few titles and if they keep this up, who knows.

Anime News Network Australia

Page 1 of 3

Jump to: