Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?
Author
Shaolin Shugogetten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:14 pm    Post subject: Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ? Reply with quote
The success of the movie thread left me aching, desperately, to talk about novels, in particular, novels that made really, really bad movies.
And Zedstar isn't online to talk about Catch-22.

Anyway, I like to read. Alot. Anyone who can't read, please leave this thread right now.

(WE COULD PLOT TO KILL THE ILLITERATES AND THEY'D NEVER KNOW IT)

My favourite novel is probably Catch 22.. it really is hard to top. I mean it's not the one I read the most, or enjoy reading the most.. but it's absolutely brilliant, and anyone with a satirical bone in their body should go get it.
I won't try and discuss what it's about.. I mean it's about war, and fear, and the human spirit, but so much more, and you simply can't analyse it without outside input.

Two more favourites that can't really be compared are Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land. Both Robert Heinlen classics, absolute classics. If you've seen the Starship Troopers movie and think it even bears resemblance ot the book in more than name and bugs, I'll tie you to a desk chair and spin you off a pier. Really.
It's another war book of course, but it's really more about the philosophy of fighting. Somewhat simplistic in written style, it's still a great read. Heinlen has this way of writing that describes every little detail about a person, but really lets you decide the major things, which lends alot to your imagination improving the actual written narrative.
The other book, Stranger in a Strange Land is more even more philosophical.. anything I type here would spoil it, but anyone 16 or over should be able to cope, as long as they read it twice.

Then there are the books that are an absolute delight to read. The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy! A Trilogy in 5 parts. There can't be a person alive and over 10 years old who hasn't heard of the Guide, or at least the concept of '42'. Not in an english-speaking nation at least. Douglas Adams is probably my favourite author, and his was the only 'celebrity' death I held in any regard in my entire life. I would have loved to meet him, and he was only, what.. 49.. so damned depressing.
The books are a brilliant treat however! Look for them, read them, cherish them, keep them and raise your kids on them. The humor, story, and characters will span multiple generations. I sincerely doubt there will ever be a time when these books will simply be forgotten..

What am I reading now? Vampire stuff mainly.. I haven't really gotten around to Anne Rice except for Interview with the Vampire and Vittorio, the Vampire, because I pushed them aside in favour of the Vampire: the Masquerade clan novels. Now I don't know who here is familiar with the concept of Vampire: the Masquerade, maybe none, but these books are great to read if you're interested in the White Wolf style vampires as opposed to the more traditional mythology based creatures like Dracula.

White Wolf vampires are based around the biblical mythology of the first murder, Caine slaying Abel. Now I haven't read the bible, but it more or less goes: Caine slays Abel, God curses Caine never to see the sun or consume vegetable matter.. furthermore, he cannot die, anyone who tries to kill him incurs god's wrath, because he needs to endlessly walk the earth. Thus Caine becomes (in the eyes of modern geeks), the first vampire. All vampires since are his progeny, and it goes from there. Very, very interesting stuff if it's what you're into. If not.. the Hitch Hiker's guide the Galaxy is still there to enjoy, and if that's not your bag.. the comic book store is over there

------------------
The tick-tock of the clock is painful; all sane and logical.
I want to tear it off the wall.
Super Saiyan 2000
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can read, but I hardly read Novels. It's just not a common "Teen" thing.
And yes, I hate movies that orginated from a novel. The novel is always so much better. Unless it's a novel that originated from a movie.

------------------
Join Up At Anime Inferno™ Forums Today!
Visit Synergy:Core! (Content Now Up!)
Bardan
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hm. I like anything by Asimov and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series was excellent.

I used to really like the Rowan of Rin series by... oh, whats her name? That's right! Emily Rodda!
http://www.emilyrodda.com/
~Trunks~
Orihime Inoue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personal fave books are the Icewind Dale Trilogy & the Darkelf Trilogy (by RA Salvatore) and also the Star Wars novel "I, Jedi." (I forget who it's by. ^^;; )
InGram
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Vampirism is misdiagnosed rabies...
Kermi v3.1 for Workgroups
Shaolin Shugogetten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by ~Trunks~:
Star Wars novel "I, Jedi." (I forget who it's by. ^^;; )

Michael A. Stackpole, the guy who wrote the Rogue Squadron books. I'm somewhat gotten over Star Wars expanded universe, but I, Jedi is a great read.. I guess it's because the storyline is more complex than "empire are bad, rebels fight empire, empire build big weapon, rebels destroy big weapon, someone important almost dies, the end".

------------------
AznSupersaiyan21
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dammit - i was going to be first to reply, but then my internet went crappy , eh ~shrugs~

I am, according to SS2k, one of those uncommon teens that actually do read (im not making fun of him/her either, i really am). My favourite types of books are fantasy and science fiction, though i like fantasy a bit more. My favourite books are the Obernewtyn Chronicles - which include Obernewtyn, The Farseekers, Ashling and The Keeping Place which were written by Isobelle Carmody and the His Dark Materials trilogy - which includes Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass which were written by Philip Pullman. Also i could mention Harry Potter- but i don't want to get my ass kicked...
§hit..i just did

<goes and cowers into a corner, preparing to get the crap beaten out of him>

[This message has been edited by AznSupersaiyan21 (edited 12 April 2002).]
lenni
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tend to stick to high fantasy type novels the most, with the usual list of favs – Raymond Feist, David Eddings (tho I find him a bit ‘formal’) Tolkein (same) and Robert Jorden . I also like an Australian author, Sara Douglas – her books are an excellent read. And I like other fantasy by the likes of King, and Jean Auel’s Earth Children series, even tho it’s old and will obviously never be finished.
I actually started off on the Narnia novels when I was about 9 – can anyone remember them?
I used to pull sci-fi books off my oldest brothers bookshelf whenever I was at his place and read them. I’m sure Hichhikers would have been there, but I still have never read any of that.
I found Anne Rice rather over-rated, although I haven’t read any of the Vampire Chronicles, only her Mayfair Witches series. The first one was quite good and the rest just don’t capture your attention. I find it so annoying when authors do that – like their heart obviously isn’t in the story anymore, or they just drag it out for the $ value.
And for non-fantasy I like Bryce Courtenay - although he rambles a bit, and Robert G Barrett – I’m sure he must be enormously chauvinistic, but his books make me laugh.
Anyway, I’ve said in plenty of threads here before my absolute favorite is Katherine Kerr and her Deverry series.
And SSj2k, I’ll ignore the beginning, but your right about movies never living up to the book it’s based on. I love the whole experience of being able to build an image in your mind about the characters, and surroundings. And everyone’s image is unique.
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's where we find out that despite having anime in common, our other interests are totally disparate.

In terms of books, thesedays I usually read modern sci-fi (Iain M. Banks, Greg Egan, Alastair Reynolds, etc), cyberpunk, and other visions of dystopian future. I'm not into a lot of "classic" sci-fi (Clarke = ok, Asimov = some great some mediocre, Heinlein = chauvinistic windbag).

I also enjoy what might be classified as Modern Lit., Douglas Coupland and the like.

Presumably most of you read more manga than books.

- mib
Super Saiyan 2000
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by AznSupersaiyan21:

I am, according to SS2k, one of those uncommon teens that actually do read (im not making fun of him/her either, i really am).

I never said it was un-common. It's just that Teens aren't supposed to read. Like Teens are supposed to go out, have fun etc. I only read when I have to (School Assignments)

------------------
Weis
Meryl Strife

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read Harry Potter

------------------
Dabura - "Run along now Buu" - The Losses Begin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
CYB3r_R4V3N
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmm... I used to be a heavy reader when I was younger but never really read any proper novels. About years ago I became intested in books again and in that time I read both the Axis trilogy by Sara Douglass and the continuation of it (can't remember the name of the set) but I was a little dissapointed with the ending (A BEAR?! of all the endings). I've also recently read the first two books of the Lord of the Rings and at some point in my childhood I read the hobbit.

hmm... I've some other stuff just can't think of any at the moment. oh well at this point in time I realy don't have any interest in reading.

~raVen

[This message has been edited by CYB3r_R4V3N (edited 12 April 2002).]
Bakchoy
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Definitely Wheel of Time by Robert Jorden. Arghhh! When is book ten coming out???!!
I wasted a lot of my study time for my year 11 exams on those books.
I also like books by Margaret Weis. Anyone know when the next War Of Souls book or when the last of the Darkstone trilogy (I think that's what there called) comes out?

[This message has been edited by Bakchoy (edited 12 April 2002).]
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ooh... a thread I can really get my teeth into...

/me slips into hardcore writer/book-nerd mode...

Okay... best book ever... I can't decide, I've never really had one. Books I love though, well, here goes...

Neuromancer by William Gibson: There are two writers that I love above all else. Gibson is one of them. The first time I read Neuromancer, I couldn't believe it. This was everything I thought the future was going to be like turned into pure liquid crystal realisation. While I don't believe it's his best book ('Idoru' gets that honour for me), it's the book that's had the most impact on my own writing, and one of the books that I will forever try to emulate. If I ever write a novel as half as good as this, I will die happy. This book also contains the greatest opening line in a book, ever:

'The sky over the port was the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel'.

American Tabloid by James Ellroy: Alongside Gibson, Ellroy is the other writer I love. And again, American Tabloid just completely blew my mind when I read it. At the time I was into the 'big conspiracies' of the cold war: UFOs, communists, JFK, nuclear destruction. Mainly this was due to my love of 'The X-Files'. Ellroy's American Tabloid fitted right in. It took me behind the scenes of the American political machine, and forever destroyed the way I viewed it. He creates fictional 'Boys' who are the ones that shot JFK and RFK, along with Martin Luther King. They were responsible for Bay of Pigs. These were the real movers and shakers. Ellroy mixes them with the real figures of the time: Howard Hughes, The Kennedys, J. Edgar Hoover, Lee Harvey Oswald, Jack Ruby, Jimmy Hoffa and anyone who was anyone at the time. 'America was never innocent, we popped our cherry on the boat over and never looked back'. I love it.

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. Don't ask why, but this has always been my favourite Tolkien book. Sure, the language is inaccessible, the story is difficult to understand and the book doesn't have the appeal of 'The Lord Of The Rings', but if you take the time to really get into it, the Silmarillion's tale of love and vengeance is far more involving than LotR. It tells the story of the first age, before the world changed. Back when the Valar (Tolkein's gods) ruled. Even back as far as Illuvatar, the creator of the universe. (Ainulindale is still one of the coolest creation myths ever). This is the one that should have been the movie, trust me on this.

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. The hacker's novelist. And this is the hacker's novel. A dual story of espionage, corporate secrets and high technology, set against the twin backdrops of World War 2 and modern capitalism. What truly stuns me about this book is the way Stephenson throws maths into a perfectly normal story, introducing it in a way that will not confuse the non-technical reader (the masturbation habits sequence is quite amusing). While Stephenson seems incapable of writing a good ending, the other 900-odd pages of Cryptonomicon are engrossing and enlightening.

The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Not a novel, but a series of novels by King. These are his fantasy books, and they are quite honestly my favourite King novels. Love him or hate him, King is an excellent storyteller, and he knows exactly what a story needs to work. It is said that he could publish his shopping list, and it would sell a million copies in a week, which is true, but King doesn't do it. He chooses to write compelling tales of horror, retribution or hope, and he does it so well. The Dark Tower novels concern Roland the gunslinger, and his companions in a harsh post-apocalyptic world. King has said that these books will be his final opus to the world. I can't wait.

The Hitchhiker Trilogy by Douglas Adams. Ah yes, the series which redefines the word 'trilogy'. Surely the maddest science fiction novels ever created, it could only come from the mind of an Englishman, and one that worked on both Monty Python and Dr Who at that. So long, Doug, and thanks for all the books.

The Quality of Real by Tim Norman. Oh, err... um, that'd be my novel... *ahem*.

I could go on for hours about books, but I won't, at least, not yet...

------------------
life is a canvas
and the paint is hope and promise
the world is ours
no one can ever take it from us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
To Kermi,

Re: Topic

No.

From Shinannth

Hmm.. how about novels that have been made into really really really bad computer games and TV shows? I've been reading Anne McCaffrey books (Dragon Riders of Pern series, Crystal series, Tower & the Hive series, stand alone books) for about 10 years now.. the advance paycheck she gets for each new book is directly proportional to how crappy it is going to be. Don't even get me started on the how bad the Dragon Riders of Pern computer game was - it makes small children cry.

quote:
SSJ2k said:
It's just that Teens aren't supposed to read. Like Teens are supposed to go out, have fun etc. I only read when I have to (School Assignments)

No. They're supposed to stay at home and study, study, study. Then, when they finish school, they have to study even more. Fun is not supposed to be in the vocabulary of a teenager, you have to spend all your time studying... why... are... you.. all.. looking.. at me.. like.. that?!?! o.o; *runs off to get therapy*

*ahem*

I remember the Narnia series lenni .. C.S. Lewis! ^_^ I also remember the TV series, I loved watching those when I was a kid.

One of my textbooks from last year had the following entry in its index:

"Adams, Douglas - 42" I thought that was pretty neat, and no, they didn't actually make any references to him or the Hitch Hikers books on that page to make it look like it had a legitimate index entry for those that didn't get the joke.

Hmm.. other favourite authors.. I like Margaret Atwood, Isobelle Carmody, Tolkien, Charlotte & Emily Brönte, Jane Austen (don't laugh - her books are actually a very interesting case study of society of that time period, if you look past the surface plots of women looking to marry rich guys ), and Charles Díckens. I'm not really a fan of 'modern' fiction though - it reminds me of all the crap teen fiction we were forced to read in high school because they discussed 'issues' in them. Pah.

At the moment I'm reading 'The Cuckoo's Egg' by Clifford Stoll, it's a non-fiction book about computer espionage in the 1980s, how the author, a computer systems manager at a Berkeley lab, tracked down hackers that were stealing scientific and military info from the US and selling it to the KGB.. I haven't finished it yet, but it's pretty interesting. ^_^;

I have $40 worth of book vouchers to cash in, I think I'll get myself something that isn't non-fiction for once. ^_^ Any suggestions?

------------------
In memory of I have it! CARDCAPTOR SAKURA ON DVD! WAI!, 31.8.2001 - 5.12.2001

"No free toasters!?!? I'm leaving."

In Shinannth.cpp: Confused by earlier errors, bailing out.

[This message has been edited by Shinannth (edited 13 April 2002).]
eggzoi
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Posted by Kermi or sumfin:
Anyway, I like to read. Alot. Anyone who can't read, please leave this thread right now.

Hehehe, in a post about books, reading, english and stuff. Alot, two words people, I see this mistake A LOT hehehe

[This message has been edited by eggzoi (edited 13 April 2002).]
MangAnime
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read a lot. Novels, magazines, manga (when I can get it).

Stephen King is one of my favourite authors and the 'Dark Tower' series always has me hanging out for the next one to be published.

I also like Douglas Adams. Both the Hitch-Hiker's 'trilogy' and the Dirk Gently books too.

When I was in high-school I also read most of the 'Dragon-Riders' series they were good too. (Read most of these books at school actually)

Reading Shakespeare at the moment.

------------------
"The setting sun, ending of the light."

[This message has been edited by MangAnime (edited 13 April 2002).]
ssj4_Vegeta
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I havent got a clue where your name comes from...

I liked the star wars stories based after the first movies and loved rowin of rin and well i almost read the first page of the hobbit but i prefer short stories as they can be every bit as good as a novel and in some cases more interesting XD.

But basically i like sci-fi and war and stuff along that lines even other stuff eg i liked the book the water babies when i was younger
ssj4_Vegeta
Belldandy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kermi v3.1 for Workgroups:

([b]WE COULD PLOT TO KILL THE ILLITERATES AND THEY'D NEVER KNOW IT
)

[/B]

I like your style but why would they join the board if they could not read....
subliminal messages anyone?
yvan eht nioj
Armisael
.:Harlot:.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hm...let's see
L.P. Hartley
Patricia D. Cornwell (Her early stuff)
Terry Prachett
Anne Rice
Willian Golding

-See you space cowboy...

------------------
Those unforgettable days
For Them
I live - MSN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kero
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I Can Read eh..ah...DUH!!!!

------------------
-kero

Visit & Join Up @
Da Black Gohan's Domain Now Open!!!
And Have a Chance 2 Enter our Fanfic Comp!!
HURRY!!! entries close
28/4/02
Good Luck!!(if your entering that is)

©2002 Ke®0 and site Creators etc... well WHATEVA about the copyright thing!!!
SSJ Donsare
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
lord of the rings is probably the best book and movie off it was very good too
Yupa
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read subtitles. Does that count?
Rambutaan
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by clemtinite:
Hm. I like anything by Asimov and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series was excellent.

Choice! Have the same taste as me dude .

I'm obsessed with Hicthiker's (although out of the five books I'm missing the first one, which is a pity...). I listen to this 80's brit-funk band called Level 42 (No guesses as to where they got the name from Razz). Asimov is my favourite sci-fi author though. He always manages to make up little what-if scenarios in his hundreds of short stories and my favourite series of his is the epic Foundation series. It's a series that also goes to show you don't need to introduce aliens into a sci-fi novel in order to produce diversity and conflict. Also, Asimov was a pioneering author in robot fiction. In fact, he came up with the famous three laws of Robotics and is credited for inventing the term, Robotics. He talked a lot about US Robotics in his novels and now there is such a company (although they seem to only manufacture modems as far as I know...). Anyhow, bottom line, he was a good author.

Pity both of them are dead hey?

mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Rambutaan: 80's brit-funk band called Level 42

Looking back it's so bizarre, it runs in the family, all the things we are.

Damn, I guess I shouldn't admit being old enough to remember that when it was released.
Also, for more interesting band name origins:
http://www.room23.org/room23_view_detail.php?ID=801

- mib

Edit: clarity.

[This message has been edited by mib (edited 13 April 2002).]
Super Saiyan 2000
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shinannth:

No. They're supposed to stay at home and study, study, study. Then, when they finish school, they have to study even more. Fun is not supposed to be in the vocabulary of a teenager, you have to spend all your time studying... why... are... you.. all.. looking.. at me.. like.. that?!?! o.o; *runs off to get therapy*

I think Study comes more into Play in year 11 & 12. It's rare for me in Year 9 unless we have tests which is not all the time.

------------------
AznSupersaiyan21
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally oposted by Shinannth:
Isobelle Carmody

Which books? I think ive read all her books..
Cehreyl
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Super Saiyan 2000:
I think Study comes more into Play in year 11 & 12. It's rare for me in Year 9 unless we have tests which is not all the time.

Couldn't prove it by me, I read all through year 11 &12. I'm amazed I passed at all.
I read a lot, in fact I think the library is running out of books. Mostly I read fantasy, but also Science Fiction, Crime, Romances (don't laugh)
My favourite author is are Laurall K Hamilton, who writes alternate universe vampire novels and Faerie novels. Real nasty dangerous Faeries NOT tinkerbell. The Fantasy I like best is by Tamora Pierce, J K Rowling (Really are good stories)and Mark Anthony.
I love the crime/bountyhunter comedy novels by Janet Evanovich. SF by Alan Foster.
I realy do read alot.
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What a joyous thread ^_^

quote:
Originally posted by lenni:
and Jean Auel’s Earth Children series, even tho it’s old and will obviously never be finished.

Ah, but you're wrong there, Lenni! After 12 years, Jean M. Auel has finally written the fifth book "The Shelters of Stone" ^.^ And Ayla will have her baby, and Jondalar will be finally happy (the prick ) The book will be released world-wide on 30th April 2002.

Shin: I highly recommend you get started on Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. *points to Asha'Man*

My all-time favourite book authors are mostly fantasy and science-fiction writers, including
  • Melanie Rawn
    (Her Dragon Prince series is wonderfully intricate, and full of political intrigue and b_astard sons ~_^ I like.)
  • Katharine Kerr
    (Celtic legends and culture are infinitely interesting, and reincarnations of characters lets you get to know their natures better)
  • Anne McCaffrey
  • Robert Jordan
  • Julian May
  • Tolkein

Recently I've been getting into Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance books, mostly by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman... Can anyone recommend a series to get into after I've finished the Time of the Twins/War of the Twins/Test of the Twins trilogy? (Raistlin's such a sweetie!)

[This message has been edited by QueenSaiyan (edited 13 April 2002).]

Zedstar
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^_^ YAY!!

I love Catch 22. Probably my most favourite book ever, I have read this so many times and my personal opinion of it (after trying to explain the idea to people who haven't read it many a time) in only one sentence is that 'Catch 22 is a book about a man driven to total and complete sanity by the insanity of war.'

Although I have to say that I don't like the other Joseph Heller books.
I was a MASSIVE reader through school, although I never read any of the books we were supposed to read if I could help it. I read some of them and they were AWFUL. I did read the better ones at other times tho, I read 1984 by George Orwell when I was in grade 10 instead of Animal Farm cause I'd already read that one. Embarrassing nerd fact about Zedstar number 1- my teddy bear from when I was a baby was named George after George Orwell..

But Probably my favourite list of authors....

Terry Pratchett- so easily digestible. One book a day it's great.

Kurt Vonnegut- Similar sort of vein as Joseph Heller, just more sci-fi-ish.

Isobelle Carmody- nasty lady just won't hurry up and finish the Obernewtyn series and goes and starts on ANOTHER!

George Orwell- disturbing dystopian futures? Just the man.

Victor Kelleher- used to do BRILLIANT 'teen fiction' The Makers I still have fond memories of- If only I could get it in print.

George MacDonald Fraser- I VERY VERY naughtily stole 'The Pyrates' from my local library when I found this impossible to find and purchase (And If anyone who reads this works for the Library system- I'm REALLY sorry!! I just love it tooo much!!!) Terribly amusing. Very visual.

Tolkein- very detailed, great to read tho.

Shakespeare- brilliant, amusing, and I read most of his stuff one Christmas holiday- everyone was stunned to see me laughing at all the jokes- lots of jokes, just well hidden.

Oscar Wilde- I still haven't read enough of him. I love what I have read tho.

Douglas Adams- Love him, miss him. Wish I had a towel with me.

Rudyard Kipling- I fell in love with The Jungle book when I was 10. Fabulous.

And I'm sure there are more, I just can't remember at the mo. I'm sorry..

BTW- a brilliant author who has stuff on the net is at http://www.myboot.com I love it. read his essays- 'Whenever I fly' is a classic.
I just wish that he would hurry up and finish his novella.

^_^ Zedstar
read all the

------------------
ChibiChibi.. It's all you need and more.

[This message has been edited by Zedstar (edited 13 April 2002).]
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNorman:
[b]The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien. Don't ask why, but this has always been my favourite Tolkien book. Sure, the language is inaccessible, the story is difficult to understand and the book doesn't have the appeal of 'The Lord Of The Rings', but if you take the time to really get into it, the Silmarillion's tale of love and vengeance is far more involving than LotR. It tells the story of the first age, before the world changed. Back when the Valar (Tolkein's gods) ruled. Even back as far as Illuvatar, the creator of the universe. (Ainulindale is still one of the coolest creation myths ever). This is the one that should have been the movie, trust me on this.[/B]

I agree. Silmarillion is brilliant, it's Tolkien's life work. It's also one of the most underrated books ever.

However, IMHO, it's much easier to read than, say, Moby **** , and it's such a wonderful and rich history. If you read the Sil, and then reread any of Tolkien's other Middle-Earth works, it really does open a whole new window onto his writings.

Aside from Tolkien, I tend to read primarily (almost exclusively actually) non-fiction books. Occasionally I'll indulge in an old classic, like Victor Hugo, Tolstoy, etc., but most of the time I like to stick to reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Shaolin Shugogetten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Listing authors.. well..

Douglas Adams - Definately my favourite author.. Hitchhikers, and Dirk Gently.. he's just great to read. I need to get my hands on the Meaning of Liff.

Robert A. Heinlen - Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land are all I've read of his works, but they're brilliant, brilliant pieces of literature. I would love to see a movie of Stranger, but it would be horribly butchered. What I really want to see is a true to novel version of Starship Troopers. That would blow me away.

Terry Pratchett - While I've only read about 12 of the discworld books (which spans what, 30? 40?) I like his writing style. The only problem I have with his writing is that once in awhile he latches onto a catchphrase or style of writing and uses it ad neauseum, such as in The Fifth Elephant when he made a recurring theme of 'steam rising off' of people (particularly Vimes) when they're mad. He does it all the time, but the books are good, so it doesn't really matter.

Timothy Zahn - He wrote the only Star Wars novels I still enjoy reading aside from I, Jedi, those being the Thrawn Trilogy (, Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command) and the Hand of Thrwan books (Spectre of the Past, Vision of the Future). However, he's written alot of stuff I've failed to get my hands on. Last year I was advised to read The Icarus Hunt.. another space opera story but not in the Star Wars universe. It's a great story, with good humor throughout and a surprise ending you won't see coming (unless you already know).

Another mention is Katherine Kerr (for Palace.. I haven't read the Deverry series).

I also need to read the Pern books by Kathy Tyers. I read a short story from the Pern 'universe', and I was impressed, very impressed, and as soon as I can, I'm picking these up (right after I buy Mostly Harmless when Angus & Robertson reopens in 2 weeks).

------------------
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Who is Kathy Tyers and why is she writing Pern books? I would have thought people would have given up after Anne McCaffrey wrote Masterharper of Pern :/
Bakchoy
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by QueenSaiyan:

Recently I've been getting into Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance books, mostly by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman... Can anyone recommend a series to get into after I've finished the Time of the Twins/War of the Twins/Test of the Twins trilogy? (Raistlin's such a sweetie!)

[This message has been edited by QueenSaiyan (edited 13 April 2002).][/B]

What about Raistlin Chronicles- Soulforge and Brother's in Arms.

lenni
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just remembered another one - Roadmarks by Roger Zelazny - a fantastic one day read.

quote:
"The Shelters of Stone" ~ 30th April 2002.

*gasp*

Your not kidding I take it? omg I had given up any and all hope of ever finding out what happens next in that series. Now, I think there is suppose to be one more yet to come - I wonder how many years we'll have to wait for that one

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a series to get into after I've finished

Sara Douglass' Axis and Wafarer Redemption series are excellent - and she's an Australian author *cheer!* Dont take any notice of CYB3r_R4V3N up there. I think it's a bit more complex than just a *bear*

or

Raymond E Feist Riftwar saga starting with Magician is just excellent too - one of the earliest fantasy novels I read.

quote:
Originally posted by Shinannth:
non-fiction for once. ^_^ Any suggestions?

The only non-fiction I read is the news, and there's an irony, as most of it is probably more fiction than not anyway

[This message has been edited by lenni (edited 13 April 2002).]
RaVe
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

------------------
completion| s o o n | cyber tokyo
Bardan
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rambutaan:
He always manages to make up little what-if scenarios in his hundreds of short stories
-
Pity both of them are dead hey?

My favourite of which was The Final Question.
-
Indeed.

quote:
Originally posted by Kermi v3.1 for Workgroups:
I need to get my hands on the Meaning of Liff.

-
Kentucky (adv.)
Fitting exactly and satisfyingly.
The cardboard box that slides neatly into an exact space in the garage, or the last book which exactly fills a bookshelf, is said to fit 'real nice and kentucky'.

That's a great book.
Shaolin Shugogetten

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Who is Kathy Tyers and why is she writing Pern books? I would have thought people would have given up after Anne McCaffrey wrote Masterharper of Pern :/

My bad.. I meant Anne McCaffrey.. Kathy Tyers was jsut on my mind. She did one of the Star Wars novels I think.

------------------
Super Saiyan 2000
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
RaVe I think Hype has posted that one before. I remember seeing it...

------------------
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dark Tower by Stephen King. Not a novel, but a series of novels by King. These are his fantasy books, and they are quite honestly my favourite King novels. Love him or hate him, King is an excellent storyteller, and he knows exactly what a story needs to work. It is said that he could publish his shopping list, and it would sell a million copies in a week, which is true, but King doesn't do it. He chooses to write compelling tales of horror, retribution or hope, and he does it so well. The Dark Tower novels concern Roland the gunslinger, and his companions in a harsh post-apocalyptic world. King has said that these books will be his final opus to the world. I can't wait.

Don't suppose you know if he's written or is writing the fifth book in this series yet.
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
*gasp* There are Raistlin Chronicles? *Sighs languorously* They will be mine...
MangAnime
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kermi, I have 2 versions of Meaning of Liff. One is the original but pocket sized, the other is 'Further Meaning of Liff' or something along those lines (can't find it atm). Same books, just the 2nd one has more in it.

------------------
"The setting sun, ending of the light."

[This message has been edited by MangAnime (edited 14 April 2002).]
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's called 'The Deeper Meaning of Liff'.

My favourite entry was always (IIRC) Roosebeck: the ultimate all-purpose pronoun. There was a corresponding adjective too, so you could make sentences involving only those two words.

(Intriguingly, there were 42 posts to this thread when I entered it to make this post.).

Just out of curiousity, has anyone here managed to finish James Joyce's 'Ulysses'? I got about 300 pages in, and gave up. This is the only book I've ever given up on, and it's driving me nuts that I can't finish it.

Oh well, back to writing that novel of mine... I have this really good idea for a detective story though. And I really should finish these magic girl stories. And I guess I should finish that thing about the anime harem too... *sigh, the life of a writer...*

------------------
life is a canvas
and the paint is hope and promise
the world is ours
no one can ever take it from us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
RaVe
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Super Saiyan 2000:
RaVe I think Hype has posted that one before. I remember seeing it...

So?

------------------
completion| s o o n | cyber tokyo
BGSarevok
Yoriko Nakaido

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I should look for some of those Vampire: The Masquerade novels. Or Anne Rice. Vampires. Goodie.

Some favourites of mine are the X-Wing series of books by Michael A. Stackpole & Aaron Allston and the Heir to the Empire series of books by Timothy Zahn. Other than Star Wars, I recommend George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire series. Oh, there's Rainbow Six, too, if you like terrorism/counter-terrorism and such. I'm currently reading Dune, which I should have done a long time ago.
Blah blah blah. Run outta stuff to say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn, I really should get around to finishing Dune someday. *feels ashamed*
Bakchoy
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
*gasp* There are Raistlin Chronicles? *Sighs languorously* They will be mine...

Yes. Soulforge is about him and his brother growing up in Solace, while Brother's in arms continues on when they go join a mercenary army. I think I liked Soulforge better.

QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds great ^_^ I really have a thing for bad guys, don't I?

Has anyone else read any of the Ki and Vandien Quartet, by Megan Lindholme? She also writes as Robin Hobb. My copies of the first three books were mangled beyond recognition by rats, and I desparately want to locate them again... They're out of print

[This message has been edited by QueenSaiyan (edited 15 April 2002).]
Psyprass
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anyone read any books by Nancy Springer? She is a fantastic author. She wrote "The Silver Sun" which I read (book three in the trilogy). And John Marsden writes truly haunting books, such as "Letters from the inside." It is so tear-jerking in the end.
And "Harry Potter" is something I can't put down as well.
eggzoi
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like me the action books, John Marsden's Tomorrow series, someones the last vampire series and finnaly my fav author is Matthew Reilly, his books are like a great action movie in a book, everyone should go and give Ice Station a try (my fav book ever)

Page 1 of 51

Jump to: