Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51  Next
Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?
Author
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The next bk in the Lost Fleet - Beyond the Frontier is now up on Fantastic Fiction. It's called Guardian and is due out in May 2013.

Been rereading Alyssa's Ring which is bk 5 in the Guardian Cycle by Julia Gray.

This is one series that always worth a reread.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've started reading H. Beam Piper's first 2 Fuzzy novels in The Fuzzy Papers omnibus. It has Little Fuzzy and Fuzzy Sapiens in it.

I'm going to hunt up his 3rd bk Fuzzies and Other People which was released 20 years after his death. The book was written before his death, but was missing for nearly 20 years.

I've already posted about Fuzzy Nation that John Scalzi wrote. That bk is the modernisation of Little Fuzzy, the same way that Gundam SEED is the modernisation of MSG.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
W0m6at
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
QBD have the A Song of Fire and Ice (Game of Thrones) boxset with the first 7 volumes (5 novels) for ~$70 (cheaper than Book Depository).
They also have a range of satin-bound books in hardcover for ~$15 each. I picked up Tao Te Ching, which now sits alongside The Art of War, The Prince and The Art of the Samurai (aka Hagakure) in my bookcase.

I saw these instore, but they have free delivery on their website.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^ If people haven't read ASOIAF, do so. Now. The TV adaptation is alright but the books are next level.

Good to see QBD putting out packages like that. Pretty surprising to see that it is cheaper than buying each book individually from BDUK. They're got the version where ADWD is split though... That sucks.
W0m6at
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blue Monday wrote:
^ If people haven't read ASOIAF, do so. Now. The TV adaptation is alright but the books are next level.

Good to see QBD putting out packages like that. Pretty surprising to see that it is cheaper than buying each book individually from BDUK. They're got the version where ADWD is split though... That sucks.

After lugging each volume of Stephen King's The Dark Tower around as I got to it, I'm happy to have novels split. The fatties get heavy after a while!

btw, QBD didn't put the package out, it's an official release (see link in earlier post).
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not a QBD thing, that box set is available in the local, non-QBD bookstore.

I also saw the first part of the split version of A Dance With Dragons sitting next to a complete version. The complete version was a smalller size and cheaper than the half-book version. They're getting ridiculous with this cash-milking thing.

EDIT - beaten to it.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, the ADWD paperback I have is non-split even though it's around the same size as ASOS in page count (I think), which is split. I think they just reduced the font size adequately enough.

You guys read the Wheel of Time?
W0m6at
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Blue Monday wrote:
Yeah, the ADWD paperback I have is non-split even though it's around the same size as ASOS in page count (I think), which is split. I think they just reduced the font size adequately enough.

You guys read the Wheel of Time?
Haven't read it myself, and with my slow reading speed, I doubt I'll tackle it.
Blue Monday
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hands down my favourite fantasy series, easily. Followed closely by ASOIAF I reckon. It is long but completely worth it. The last book comes out January next year, which I'm super excited about.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, recently I've been reading the Dresden Files novels one after the other. I just finished Changes, and... holy crap. Those who have read it will know what I mean.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Be advised that Ghost Story isn't... quite as intense. It's something of a bridging story dealing with the transition between changes and the upcoming Cold Days (which is apparently officially at the publisher and a release date about October)
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm currently rereading the Dirk Pitt books by Clive Cussler, I used to really love them when I was younger, but now when I read them I'm finding them a little hard to take at times.
I think it's partly the attitude/style of writing I've grown out of a bit.
They're still enjoyable enough, but I can't say I like them as much as I used to (I'm up to book 8 Cyclops).

And not a novel, but I'm reading it so I'll mention it anyway:p, I'm also reading "HTML, XHTML and CSS for Dummies" as I want to improve my knowledge of html, at least to the point where I know how to actually start a page from scratch and not flounder around blindly:p
I know there are loads of resources on the net, but I still find I learn things slightly easier from paper (and I much prefer a paper manual to swapping between monitors or tabs/brower windows).
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
Be advised that Ghost Story isn't... quite as intense. It's something of a bridging story dealing with the transition between changes and the upcoming Cold Days (which is apparently officially at the publisher and a release date about October)

That's more or less what I'm expecting; nothing short of the end of the world would be as intense. At the moment I'm tackling Side Jobs, and I'll pick up Ghost Story after that.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
That's more or less what I'm expecting; nothing short of the end of the world would be as intense.

Then you'll be pleased by what Jim Butcher has said about the end of the series. He's going to finish things off with what he calls a 'Big Apocalyptic Triogy' which have working titles of Stars and Stones, Hell's Bells and Empty Night.
drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Currently reading the Flavia de Luce series. Flavia is an 11 year old amateur sleuth who usually spends her free time in her fully decked out chemistry lab plotting revenges on her evil sisters. Her specialty area is poisons, knowledge which no doubt came in handy when she melted down her sisters lipstick, infused it with poison ivy and then reshaped it. She's absolutely insane... but in a good Sheldon sort of way Laughing
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have recently stared reading Haruki Murakami's 1Q84. Really good so far, have always been a fan of his fiction.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Started reading Son of Avonar bk 1 of The Bridge of D'Arnath by Carol Berg.

Not that bad at the moment.

Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
About half way through reading Blackout, the last book in the Newsflesh series by Seanan McGuire (writing as Mira Grant).
chris-of-penrith
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm just starting to read the God Delusion bu Richard Dawkins.
Kimura
BT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm on to book two of 1Q84, the story is great, I love the character development of the two protagonists
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been reading the Laundry files books by Charlie Stross which are very good, I can't believe I put off reading them for as long as I did.

Basically they're about a secret government department that is tasked with dealing with what would normally be classed as the supernatural, but can be done more efficiently (and sometimes accidentally) with technology, told from the point of view of a computer programmer who got caught up in it when he nearly re-landscaped Birmingham:p

I'm currently reading Saturn's Children also by Stross which is quite different, set in a post human society where the robots humans created are basically running things themselves, with all the problems you might get due to the history and design limits of the robots, and the realities of a civilisation that spans the Solar system.
It's sort of an intrigue story as the main character (designed to be a companion to humans...and thus quite unsuited to moving through sol easily) gets caught up in something...

Next up is the new Pratchett book 'Dodger' which I'm looking forward to Smile
W0m6at
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm currently reading John Dies at the End and loving it. Can't wait for Madman to release this in cinemas! (they recently announced that they've acquired it) Cool
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've sort of had a slight detore on my reading of Dodger - I'm currently reading Dodger in DTF*, and Singularity Sky by Charles Stross on my e-reader.

Dodger around the house, and Singularity Sky when I'm out:p

Dodger is turning out to be good (as expected), but for some reason I thought it was a Discworld story.

*Dead Tree Format.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
A friend bought me Soseki Natsume's Kokoro while I was in hospital and I finished it in a couple of days.

Another friend posted me a copy of After The Banquet by Yukio Mishima which arrived at my hotel a few days before I left to return to Adelaide. Only just started it.
Typhrus
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been reading the history book ANZACS in Arkhangel. It's about the involvement of Australian troops in the Russian revolution. Funny how Australian troops earned two VC's there, but we almost never ever hear about it.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just finished reading The Long Earth. Very interesting, and the second book better come out soon.

Following that, I've decided to finally get around to reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Will be picking up my copy of this in the morning. Very Happy Very Happy ^_^

Got word of it yesterday from Galaxy Bkshop.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Am halfway thru The Lost Stars - Tarnished Knight and once again Jack Campbell puts in a major page turner.

The bk series is set between the events of The Lost Fleet - Beyond the Frontier - Dreadnought and it's sequal Invincible and deals with the Syndic CEO's Drakon and Iceni. It deals with their rebellion in order to make the Midway star system independant from the Syndicate Worlds Authority.

What I really love about this bk is how it's put on the Syndic side of things with Drakon and Iceni instead of the Alliance with John Geary and Tanya Desjani. He turns Drakon and Iceni into characters as real feeling as John and Tanya and that is an absolute buzz. A new set of problems since it's planetary system and learning to trust based instead of warship based.

I'll have the rest of the bk finished by this time in 24 hrs.Very Happy

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading The Lost Stars - Tarnished Knight by Jack Campbell and only WOW!!! can sum up my impression on the book.

A lot happens in this bk and it answers a lot of questions that I never thought would be answered. Gwen Iceni and Artur Drakon are 2 very different, but also similar people that you can help but sympathise with. The bk gives both a chance to really blossom in their own field of expertise, while at the same time trying to learn to trust each other for the benefit of the people of Midway and for the surrounding star systems.

I'll be extremely unhappy if Jack Campbell doesn't do a sequal to this. I want to read more on them and the unfolding events that are happening at the end of the bk.

I really have to rate this and the Lost Fleet bks at top with David Webbers - Prince Roger series as my fave sci-fi series.

Now I'm going to get started on his earlier bks with Stark's War.

W0m6at
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm finding that John Dies at the End is starting to drag a bit. That level of insanity is hard to convincingly maintain. It escalated until the halfway point, and then it's resolved, and we're now just plodding along. I do suspect that it will be greatly helped by time restraints of a feature film in its movie form.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got a reply from John G. Hemry who's known as Jack Campbell. Very Happy

This is his reply for those interested.
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, Dennis. I had a lot of fun doing Tarnished Knight
and am glad it's proving to be an enjoyable read.

There will indeed be a sequel. (As a matter of fact, this week I passed
100,000 words on that sequel, which has a working title of Rogue Queen, which
is being debated by agent and publisher as to whether that's a good title.)
And there will be more Lost Fleet after Guardian, too. I need to do a better
job of pointing out what the Lost Stars/Lost Fleet thing is about. I didn't
expect readers to assume that Lost Stars was replacing Lost Fleet, but many
have. In fact, the reason for Lost Stars was to keep Lost Fleet from becoming
stale.

I had originally only planned the six Lost Fleet books. When reader demand
asked for more, I had to figure out how to do my Lost Fleet stories without
doing the same things over and over again, and how to keep the characters
interesting. Part of that was getting Geary beyond the frontier. Lost Stars
was conceived as a way to inspire new story lines in Lost Fleet as well as
telling new stories from the former-Syndic point of view. The ability to
interweave the story lines of the two series is proving to be a lot of fun for
me, as is the way I can show differing interpretations of events. And, of
course, I get to do different things in the different series. All of which is
really helping to keep things fresh in Lost Fleet as well as giving me a basis
for the stories in Lost Stars.

So, never fear, there are more coming.

Thanks again for the nice comments. It's been too long since I've been to
Sydney.

Yours,
John

Reading Stark's War and that is proving to be an interesting read. Not quite as good as his Lost Fleet, but still easy to read.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read Stark's War and Stark's Command. They were pretty good, though Stark's War started pretty heavily. It almost got bogged down at the beginning, but it picked up as it went along. I think that's because he's trying to get people to understand the conditions of fighting on the moons surface. Currently reading Stark's Crusade which is the last of the Stark novels and that's also proving a good read. Should have that finished by this time tomorrow night.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Damn edit post aint working again. Evil or Very Mad

Read Stark's War and Stark's Command. They were pretty good, though Stark's War started pretty heavily. It almost got bogged down at the beginning, but it picked up as it went along. I think that's because he's trying to get people to understand the conditions of fighting on the moons surface.

Currently reading Stark's Crusade which is the last of the Stark novels and that's also proving a good read. Should have that finished by this time tomorrow night.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading Stark's Crusade and that was pretty good. It had some real good moments in it and the ending wasn't that bad either.

I do wish that there is another Stark novel, but I can't see it being done till after John G Hemry finishes the Lost Fleet/Lost Stars series as Jack Campbell.

Currently reading John G Hemry's(Jack Campbell) Paul Sinclair - JAG in Space bk 1 - A Just Determination.

W0m6at
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
John Dies at the End picked up again, and I finally finished it.

Now I've moved onto The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon, which I scored for the princely sum of $1 at a second-hand book sale that seemingly popped up out of nowhere. The title came to my attention because it's allegedly the source for the awesome anime movie Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading A Just Determination by John G Hemry and was really suprised at how well the courtroom legal case was done.

It had me remembering A Few Good Men with Tom Cruise it. One of the few TC movies that I still like.

Now I'll have to go into the city early to get the 2nd and 3rd bks of the series.

drae
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've just about had it with the ebook industry. It's partly due to the annoying as hubba-hubba DRM on them, it's partly because they're just as expensive as paper books, and it's partly because you can't get most of the books you want in Australia. Stupid, ridiculous, outdated, regional territory rights that prevents you getting the books you want. Like Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series for example. Why can I import these books from the UK, buy them from the bookstore down the street, yet be locked out of downloading them? It makes no sense.

Ebooks are starting to become more hassle than their worth.
W0m6at
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've just started reading John Brunner's Stand on Zanzibar, and was completely unprepared for the narrative style.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Started reading Tome of the Undergates bk 1 of The Eon's Gate series by Sam Sykes.

The book cover is slightly different as it's more blue/grey than blue and it makes the character darker as a result.

kyoujin
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh wow never knew there was a book thread. Well besides collecting anime, i also collect books, mostly first editions/printings and signed books.
Currently reading a cyber punk series by Richard K. Morgan.
kyoujin
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
*soz double post
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Jester...I swear the guy on The front covers of the Eon's Gate series has a guy that looks like "Geralt of Rivia" from the Witcher saga. Laughing

When I first saw the Sam Sykes novels and saw the cover I thought it was the Witcher saga novel instead, because the guy on the front cover looks exactly like Geralt aswell.

White long hair with sword on his back.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:
Hey Jester...I swear the guy on The front covers of the Eon's Gate series has a guy that looks like "Geralt of Rivia" from the Witcher saga. Laughing

When I first saw the Sam Sykes novels and saw the cover I thought it was the Witcher saga novel instead, because the guy on the front cover looks exactly like Geralt aswell.

White long hair with sword on his back.

I've heard of that series, but I can't remember the bk covers for it.

As for this bk, the character on the cover is Lenk, the leader of a group of adventurers and is pretty graphic in the killings at times. The ocean behind him is where a lot of the action and drama takes place.

The other adventurers are like what you see in Forgotten Realms except that one is a Dragonman and the elf like female charater's people are often at war with humans. Lenk himself is quite interesting as he has this voice in his head that he argues with and who at times takes over his body.

I'm quite enjoying the bk at the moment and am already at the 2nd act which is about 250 pages into the bk.

The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Witcher novels (English translations at least) don't have fancy character illustrations on them. They're mock-effect old-style book covers.

The Last Wish as an example (Book Depository link)
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Notice that there is 3 different covers for that bk on that webpage.

I'll most likely get the 2nd bk of the Aeon's Gate series tomorrow on the way to work.

It continues to be pretty enjoyable, though there is little in the way of the character's getting fleshed out via their pasts.

At least not at present, though from what the plot of the 2nd bk says, that will be the prominent feature of it.

Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Neil Strauss - The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists

Hilarious read.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading Tome of the Undergates and that was a suprisingly fun read. Since there are 6 central characters, with Lenk the main one, the bk devoted pages to each of them. It gave off a different perspective which was interesting.

Currently reading the 2nd bk in the series called Black Halo.
It's brought in a new character that aint with Lenk's group of adventurers.

The 3rd bk is due out on the 27th of December,so I'll have a month or so to wait for the next one.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading vol 2 of Aeon's Gate by Sam Sykes and have started on vol 3. In my previous post I said it was due out next month, but that looks to be bk 4.

The series is progressing quite well, even though they don't travel as far as other bk series. In that I mean that the first half of bk 1 was onboard the ship, then the 2nd half an island. Most of the 2nd bk is set on another island.

Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got Cold Days, the most recent Dresden Files book yesterday. Finished it about 3:30 this morning.

It was... intense, not so much for the action (though there was plenty in that regard) but for the sheer number of revelations and the escalation of the general threat level. Its quite clear that things are moving up to a larger scale from this point on.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been reading the Merchant Princes series by Charles Stross, I'm up to The Clan Corporate and enjoying the series so far Smile

I've also got Turtle Recall and the Compleat Ankh Morpork to read after I finish the 'Princes series.

Page 48 of 51

Jump to: