Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 49, 50, 51  Next
Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?
Author
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been having a bit of a binge with regards to reading recently, in the last few weeks I've read

By Lois McMaster Bujold
freefall
shards of honor/barryin
warriors apprentice
moutains of mourning
the vor game
Cetaganda
Ethena of Athos
Labyrunth
Borders of infinity
Brothers in Arms
Mirror Dance
Memory
Komarr
A Civil Campaign
Winterfair Gifts
Diplomatic Immunity
Cryoburn
Captain Vorpatrils Alliance
Shades of milk and honey

Basically the Vorkosigon saga in full to date, which as you may guess I enjoyed:)
I'd got a couple of the early books which I enjoyed a lot so I bought the rest and sort of read them one after the other.

Then I moved onto Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal which I enjoyed as something completely different, it had been on my "to read" list for ages.

I also read
Monument 14 and Sky on fire by Emmy Laybourne, after reading the short story that Tor had up which tied up a loose end Smile

I'm not sure what I'll read next, I may try to clear my manga backlog a bit (all of Love Hine, Genshiken, and Wolf Children).
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well it seems that manga got put on hold, I've been reading DIane Rowland's White Trash Zombie books.

They're not the sort of thing I normally read, but I read an extract online and it got me interested.

Basically it's life as a Zombie from the point of view of a character who was pretty much a loser and is now trying to make the best of her unexpected new unlife Smile
It's the humour that pretty much keeps me reading as much as anything else (they're short enough I can read one in a day).
Typhrus
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I've put off my read through of Bleach (not that I was reading much anyway, too much time playing games XD) and have picked up Sir Richard J. Evans' book called "Altered Pasts: Counterfactuals in History. I've been a fan of R. J. E ever since I first read about him in the context of the David Irving trial four years ago (A case study for undergrad uni course about Holocaust denial). R.J.E also produced an excellent historical trilogy on the Nazi Party's rise to power.

Although, I suspect that this book, although short wont be for everyone as it appears to delve into the 'theory' behind history, or some sorts of history. Anyway counterfactuals, or 'what if' situations are always an entertaining prospect whether its within the historical vein of thought or that of science fiction. I've enjoyed it so far and if this isn't your cup of tea, then I do recommend his trilogy on German history.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since I last posted in here, I've read all of the "Metrozone" books by Simon Morden, which were good, basically following a Russian physicist living in what remains of London about 20 years after much of Europe was blown up by terrorists with small nukes, Japan sank after an earthquake, and America is in the hands of what are basically two faced religious fanatics (think of a competent G.W.Bush jnr but with charisma managing to get into office after large parts of the western world have been blown up by terrorists).

I've also reread the rather great Laundry series by Charles Stross, which is basically about a computer geek, who has ended up working for the secret service intended to protect the UK from the occult, and prepare for an upcoming "end of times" scenario when the stars are just right.
Now imagine doing it in an organisation that is a bureaucracy that is also tasked with making use of pretty much anyone who stumbles upon the hidden truth including that you can accidentally summon things with computers if you try to make use of certain geometric shapes.
It's got a great mix of humour (especially if you get various references to things), and it keeps you guessing.

I'm really looking forward to the next ones in the series, I think the 5th book is due out next month.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nearly finished bk 1 of Elizabeth Moon's The Deeds of Parksenarrion - Sheepfarmers Daughter.

It's actually pretty good. She doesn't start off all that well, but by the point Im up to, the style of writing that she is now good at has come out of hiding.

An interesting read and with me having all 3 bks of the trilogy, it means sleepless nights.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Recently got my hands on Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy.

One down, moving on to two.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nearly finished bk 2 of Deeds of Paksenarrion and have been enjoying it. There is a problem in it as a central plot doesn't appear to have been resolved which is pretty damn annoying.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read Overtime and Here Comes the Sun by Tom Holt over the last week or two, both of which were pretty enjoyable (although no Pratchett).

I'm currently just starting on the Rhesus Chart by that rather good wordsmith Mr Stross
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally got Tower Lord by Anthony Ryan and read it in 27 hrs with 2 hrs sleep with it being 600 pages long. Very Happy

I was pretty happy with how it played it out though there was a mistake or 2 in it.

Now I have to wait for another year for the next one to come out.

Currently reading Seven Forges by James A Moore which isn't bad at the moment.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read Islands of Rage and Hope by John Ringo and it was enjoyable though not as good as the first 2 novels of the series. It did have a twist towards the end with a real life person coming into it. Unlike others where he's altered the names which you figure out easily, John Ringo used the real name and title in it.

I wonder how many hoops he had to jump in order to get that person to sign on.

The final book is due out in January. I'm really hoping that it comes to a satisfying conclusion, or at least one that I can accept. Wink

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read Jack Campbell - The Lost Stars - Imperfect Sword and once again, I read it in 24hrs.

The book moves at a fast pace and by the end of it, you find yourself going back over it, just to keep sure that you didn't miss anything.

Iceni and Drakon continue to be strong female and male leads and the situations that come in are both expected and unexpected.

I'm looking forward to reading the next one in a years time.

Sir_Jamesalot
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Frankenstein the scientist
The totally not narcoleptic adventures of Alice in wonderland series
80,000 leagues under the giant toilet
Onii-san
Around the world in two and a half months
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Picked up several books that I' been going through. They are World War 1 in Cartoons and Docter Seuss and Co. Go to War. There's a book on the propaganda cartoons on WW2 which I also have gotten.

The 2nd book is the sequal to Doctor Seuss Goes to War which I have ordered up. It's pretty interesting as it shows Doctor Seuss's career doing political cartoons during WW2 and takes aim at America's neutral stance at the start of the war. Apparently one of his cartoons was partly responsible for 30 000 Japanese Americans to be incarcerated during WW2.

I'll be looking forward to seeing the cartoon which caused that to happen.

I should also be getting the final John Ringo bk of the Darktide Rising quartet next month.

Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently reread "The Commonwealth Saga" by Peter F Hamilton (basically the omnibus of Pandora's Star and Judas unchained), for the first time in a few years, something that was initiated by the realisation he'd just released the first book in the third set of stories for that continuity Smile (the second set was the Void trilogy, and the third set calls back at least one character from the first).
It took me rather longer than I'd thought to read them, largely because I'd forgotten how long the books were, and I haven't had that much spare time.

Then for something lighter I tried out the new Aliens books released by Titan, as I love Aliens and enjoyed the old tie in books (Earth Hive, Harvest etc).
The new books were;
"Aliens: Out of the Shadows".
which is set between Alien and Aliens and explains several things about what was going on.

Then there was "Aliens: Sea of Sorrows", which was set after Aliens and tied into Promethious to a degree.

Finally there was, "Aliens: River of Pain" which is set just before the start of Aliens and follows what happened on the planet in Aliens before the marines arrived with Ripley, and goes to reinforce what we all knew about Wayland Utani, namely that they are a really nasty bunch:p

I'm currently reading Altered Carbon, after much bullying by my brother who keeps telling me how good it is, and I must confess I'm enjoying it Smile

Next up is the latest Hamilton book, "The Abyss Beyond Dreams" which I'm looking forward to, although I may get diverted through the Void trilogy first.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished reading the above book which is the final book in the Darktide Rising series by John Ringo.

The book was quite entertaining with some very nice zombie battles and it did have an adequate ending. Not the greatest as there were a few loose ends that weren't dealt with and I wished that they were. Also it bogged down too much in a couple of pages and that could've been written better or maybe cut out and other areas that could've or should've been extended.

But overall, this is the only zombie apocalypse series that I've thoroughly enjoyed reading.

Zer0enix
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been reading the Sword Of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

Currently reading
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Am about halfway thru The Spell for Rossette by Kim Falconer. It was sitting on the floor near the lounge and upon a whim, picked it and started reading it.

It's been pretty enjoyable at present with the gateway between worlds stuff. Makes me want to retry reading The Death Gate Cycle series. I can't remember if I still have that series or if one of my sisters took the books when I did a purge several years ago.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading The Spell for Rossette and it was quite an interesting read. There were some disjointed moments and that was disappointing as it was like she was thinking faster than her typing and forgot to go back and fix them up.

I'm hoping to be able to get the second book of the series on the way to work in the morning.

Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
re the Sword of truth series, I really enjoyed the first book or three, but must confess that by the later ones I was largely reading to see how it ended.
I didn't even realise there were more after about Confessor, I might try and reread them at some point if I can get the ebook versions cheap Smile (I gave away the hardback copies when I cleared my shelves a year ago).

I'm currently reading book four of the Expanse series by James S A Corey, they're turning out to be pretty good, although it took me a while to get into the first book.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only 2 months to go until the next Lost Fleet - Beyond the Frontier novel comes out by Jack Campbell, so I thought I better put up the HB cover of it. Very Happy

Here's the cover of the next Raven Shadow's novel by Anthony Ryan. Knowing how there are multiple covers, I'm putting this one up until I know which one I'll be receiving in July.

Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been reading a fair bit of Peter F Hamilton's work recently, starting with the "Pandora's Star" and "Judas Unchained", then moving on to his latest book "The abyss beyond Dreams", and now on "The Dreaming Void" which has been on my reader since release.

However I am going to take a break from the Void trilogy once I've finished "Dreaming Void" and reread/read all of Terry Pratchett's discworld series and "A slip of the keyboard" as the news of his death has made me remember how much I love them all.
I may even read the paper versions, as I've got most of them at least twice in ink (hardback and paperback), and the early ones with the mass of footnotes seem to read much better in paper where you just glance down at references.
I've also realised I haven't read the"The Compleat Ank Morpork" pr "Mrs Bradshaw's handbook", which I've had since release but not got round to.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Going to read Hellhole by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert. I've had it sitting around for awhile and I need something new until The Lost Fleet - Beyond the Frontier - Leviathon comes out next month.

Only a month to go..... Only a month to go.

Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have been reading through Charles Stross Laundry Series. Livecraftian Nightmares meets Cold War remnant spycraft (and not the classy, James Bond kind).

The short stories Down on the Farm, Overtime and the novella Equoid are all available for free for anyone who wants to check them out.

Fair warning though Equoid is far and away the most graphic and NSFW entry in the entire series and I recommend against reading to close to meal times.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Laundry files are awesome books, I'm eagerly awaiting the latest one which should be out later in the year (July I think).
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Werewolfforhire wrote:
The Laundry files are awesome books, I'm eagerly awaiting the latest one which should be out later in the year (July I think).

Yeah, I checked this morning. And having just finished "The Rhesus Chart" that fact is now weighing down on me.

Edit: And by just I mean like an hour ago. Tops.
W0m6at
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Currently reading Stuffocation. It's really striking a note with my wife and I, and acting as a catalyst for some positive change in our life.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The next Lost Fleet - Beyond the Frontier bk has arrived at Galaxy Bookshop, so I'm extremely happy. That happiness is dampened by the fact that I have to wait till tomorrow to get it on the way to work.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Am 2/3's of the way thru Leviathan, bk 3 of The Lost Fleet - Beyond The Frontier by Jack Campbell and it carries on with the edge of your seat tension during the battles. It really makes me somehow feel that I'm actually there facing the enemy warships.

Absolutely loving it.

Bks in the series:

The Lost Fleet - Dauntless
The Lost Fleet - Fearless
The Lost Fleet - Courageous
The Lost Fleet - Valiant
The Lost Fleet - Relentless
The Lost Fleet - Victorious
The Lost Fleet - Beyond The Frontier - Dreadnaught
The Lost Fleet - Beyond The Frontier - Invincible
The Lost Fleet - Beyond The Frontier - Guardian
The Lost Fleet - Beyond The Frontier - Steadfast
The Lost Fleet - Beyond The Frontier - Leviathan

The Lost Stars (series start between Dreadnaught and Invincible)

The Lost Stars - Tarnished Knight
The Lost Stars - Perilous Shield
The Lost Stars - Imperfect Sword

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading the bk and I now want to cry like Pedro from Excel Saga.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Now to wait another year to find out what happens next. Sad

Typhrus
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Powder Mage trilogy Reply with quote
I've started reading the Powder Mage trilogy by Brian McClellan. Its his debut series and involves a mix of gunpowder and your traditional elements of elemental mages. Interesting read so far, right off the bat it starts with a military coup against the royal family of Adro. While I'm not really feeling the characters yet, the entire premise has me interested. Will likely post again once I finish the first book.

oh and for a pretty picture of the cover:
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JESTER wrote:
Going to read Hellhole by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert.

I've started reading the book and it's pretty absorbing. There's a lot going on with a great deal of characters. I'm about halfway thru it, but I'm worried that I'll end up getting bored like I did with the Honor Harrington series.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading Hellhole and it wasn't a bad read. It reminded me on how David Webber did his later Honor Harrington novels with lots of characters getting their own pages. In Hellhole's case, there's something like 2 dozen characters that get 3->7 pages dedicated to each of them at a time. Because of that, there's not a great deal of reread value unless you go through the entire book.

Still though, even with the amount of characters in it, there's a lot going on. I'll be getting the sequel to Hellhole on the way to work on Monday and maybe I'll get the 3rd book if it's available.

That cover is similar to my trade paperback, but my version is better done.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Started reading this book which I saw while going for Hellhole - Awakening.

The author is only 25 years old. It'll be interesting on seeing if this new young author eventually becomes one of the greats.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading The Novice, bk 1 of the Summoner series pictured above and it was very well written. It left things on a cliffhanger, but that makes me want to get the next bk as soon as possible.

Very much worth reading. ^┬┐^

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Started reading Hellhole - Awakening.

Should have it finished by the end of the week.

Looking at also getting the following bks this week:

Hellhole - Inferno

The Vagrant

The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finished Terry Pratchett's Raising Steam. A great last hurrah* for Moist von Lipwig, Vetinari's catalyst for ushering in the future. It's always fun to read the Moist books, alas there's only thre three of them.

The great social revolutions of the Disc continue: the emancipation of female Dwarfs (spoiler: the King is actually a Queen), goblins and the start of gnomish intergration, in a way. Moist as ever is a wily scoundrel and the introduction of the railway prevents a coup.

Discworld at its best, really.

Now just a Tiffany Aching novel later in the year, then I really should get the pre-Last Coninent books I don't have.

*Unless they open up the Discworld series to other writers.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading The Vagrant by Peter Newman which is pictured in my last post. The book is quite dark and it's hard to explain how the world of it really feels. There's quite a bit of back story in it, but the only fun parts are with the goat and not the main or supporting characters.

The goat is my favourite character in the book and I hope that the goat continues to be a fun character in the next book. If you read the book, you'll understand why the goat is the best character in it. Wink

I'm going to get back to reading Hellhole - Awakening in the next day or so.

Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got a couple of Audiobooks to listen to in the car. The first one was The Ables by Jerermy Scott. He reads the book himself and I already knew I liked listening to his voice from listening to him on CinimaSins on Youtube. Young adult book about the special ed class at a highschool for superhero's. It's the type of book I liked to read and really enjoyed it.

I then got Confliction Compendium series by M. Mathias (The Royal Dragoneers, The first Dragoneers, Cold Hearted Son of a Witch, The Conflition)audiobooks. It's a fantasy based story about dragons, I like the story itself but the narrator Christine Padovan is so bland that she doesn't do the story justice at all. I get bored listening to her voice.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished off the Hellhole trilogy a few days ago and felt that I was reading a Webber novel with how many characters he had in it. A few of them were killed off, but others came in to take their place and it bored me a bit because of it.

On a much brighter note, I just finished reading Linesman by S.K. Dunstall and really enjoyed it. He's left me wanting to read the next one in the series as soon as possible. Well worth checking out.

Quote:

The lines. No ship can traverse the void without them. Only linesmen can work with them. But only Ean Lambert hears their song. And everyone thinks he's crazy.... Most slum kids never go far, certainly not becoming a level 10 linesman like Ean. Even if he's part of a small and unethical cartel, and the other linesmen disdain his self-taught methods, he's certified and working. Then a mysterious alien ship is discovered at the edges of the galaxy. Each of the major galactic powers is desperate to be the first to uncover the ship's secrets, but all they've learned is that it has the familiar lines of energy and a defense system that, once triggered, annihilates everything in a 200 kilometer radius. The vessel threatens any linesman who dares to approach it, except Ean. His unique talents may be the key to understanding this alarming new force and forever reconfiguring the relationship between humans and the ships that serve them.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This arrived and I've already started reading it like a madman. Over 630 pages long and I'm eager to see how it ends. That's the cover that I have since I got the book through Galaxy Books above Abbey's Bookstore in the Sydney CBD. That cover looks a hell of a lot better than the one that you see on Amazon or Fantastic Fiction.

It is still separated via characters like in Tower Lord and are given a decent amount of pages to make each situation grow. I'm happy with how he's spreading the load through a few central characters instead of 10 or more characters like some other books.

Sailor Apollo
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's a good one...for me to poop on!

....I am a vampire and here's a million dollars.

Mystery Forum Theater 30001
Sailor Apollo
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Double post. Nevermind.

....I am a vampire and here's a million dollars.

Mystery Forum Theater 30001
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm currently reading "Use of weapons" by Iain M Banks as part of a Culture re read, I haven't read it in years and I'm enjoying it a lot.
I still can't quite believe there won't be any more coming out, and that Iain Banks died so young.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished reading the above book yesterday after buying it on Friday and it was pretty easy to read.

Apparently this is the first of a trilogy, but I don't know if it's really neccessary. The book seems fine as a single book and I really can't tell how the 2nd book will progress. It has an interesting premise, but in terms of re-readability, Linesman by S K Dunstall wins hands down.

Alliance - bk 2 of the Linesman series by S K Dunstall is due out in February 23. The plot of it is up and I'm drooling at the thought of reading it in 6 months.

Have started reading Julie E. Czerneda's book A Thousand Words For Stranger which is bk 1 of The Trade Pact Universe.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ordered a few books that will be arriving in the next couple of weeks.

I've also preordered the following book due out in November.

The next Lost Stars book by Jack Campbell has been pushed back to May next year. Sad

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading A Thousand Words For Stranger by Julie E. Czerneda and that was actually quite enjoyable even after doing the deadly sin of reading ahead of myself and then going back to read normally.

I'm looking at getting book 2, but I've received word from Galaxy Bookstore that the above books I've ordered have come except Scrapyard Ship which is done thru Amazon and Departure that's due out in November.

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the above book and I have a few thoughts on it. This book was done by Create Space publishing which is part of Amazon. It was an e reader novel before and that's how it came out as in trade paperback form. Honestly, the book was done by clicking Print Page on the pc and this was the result. No page count, huge paragraph spaces, the weird font size and lack of anything, but Title before it starts. There's also a spelling mistake in page 1. lol

Now then. Once you realise that it looks dodgy, you might decide not to take a chance on this book. I can happily say that the book is way better than how it was presented and the action scenes is a lot like Jack Campbell's - Lost Fleet series. In fact, I've already started reading book 2 of the Black Fleet trilogy and thankfully, they've fixed up what happened for book 1. Book 2 carries on a little bit after the events of book 1 and seeing how much better it looks, the story carries on quite well. I should have that finished within the next day or so.

After that, I'm thinking of hitting Scrapyard Ship before going into the Jack Campbell novels that I haven't read. His books, looks and feels nice. ~_^

JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just finished reading 2 books over the last couple of days. First up was Call to Arms by Joshua Dalzelle which is bk 2 of the Black Fleet trilogy. I liked this book as it and the first book of the series reminds me of the early Honor Harrington novels with the battles and also of Jack Campbell. The book appears to be slightly thicker, but it's a lot more dense than Warship in writing. It sets things up nicely for the final book which hasn't been released yet.

Read Scrapyard Ship and that was pretty enjoyable. It has a decent spread of ideas and the writing style isn't hard to get into. It was a massive fail after thinking about it.

I'll be getting stuck into the 3 Jack Campbell novels next with Ad Astra being the first.

[edit] I was going to get the Scrapyard Ship sequels but found out that they're a disaster. Normally I would try it out anyway, but at $26-30 a pop, I'll bypass them.[/edit]

Last edited by JESTER on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read 'The Shepherds Crown' by Terry Pratchett.

I loved it but for some reason I found that it was taking me a lot longer to read than I expected, I think I was subconsciously taking it slow as it is the last new Discworld book I'll ever read.

One of the things I'll miss about Pterry is that he could write books aimed at a young audience that were equally good for adults to read.

I found myself tearing up quite badly in places, especially when it was obvious that Granny Weatherwax was preparing for death, as it was obviously a reference to his own impending demise and his own preparations for it.

It's hard to believe that it is the last Discworld book, and that Sir Terry is in fact dead, I regret never getting the chance to meet him and let him know how much I loved his books.

A really good last Discworld book that was both sad, and happy.

I'm currently back to reading books from another of the list of my favourite, recently deceased authors that died too young, with Excession by Iain M Banks (I think it was the first Culture book I read), which I'm enjoying and as per usual for me, realising I'd forgotten huge swathes of it in the years since I last read it.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished reading Ad Astra by Jack Campbell and there was a lot of interesting short stories and the authors notes on each one was good in detail. They were on different subjects and quite thought provoking at times. One thing for certain is that he's not a one trick author. A must read if you like short stores or something a bit different.

I'll be reading his first ever fantasy series when I get up in the morning.

Page 50 of 51

Jump to: