Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Books damn it! Do we all know how to READ?
Author
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by QueenSaiyan:
I desparately want to locate them again... They're out of print

Try

http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abep/BookSearch
if your prepared to get them over from the US, most of them turn up there.

Or www.amazon.com book section have a fairly good second hand option for out-of-print books

Greenleafs-girl
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like Tolkin manily Lord of the rings but The war of the ring was good as well, i also like Terry Brooks he is my favourite Author his books are amazing and i just cannt put them down. Hmmm who else... Oh and how could i forget Piers Anthony he has some real good books.
Rambutaan
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by mib:
Looking back it's so bizarre, it runs in the family, all the things we are.

Damn, I guess I shouldn't admit being old enough to remember that when it was released.
Also, for more interesting band name origins:
http://www.room23.org/room23_view_detail.php?ID=801

- mib

Edit: clarity.

[This message has been edited by mib (edited 13 April 2002).]

Oh my god! Someone else who's heard of Level 42? Razz Choice! Hmmm I'm probably the youngest Level 42 fan ever (since I wasn't even born when they formed) although I heard a bit of there stuff and I really like the mixture of fusion, funk and jazz . I understand what you mean by admitting to have heard of them is an immediate indication to how old you are - definite Generation X . (I'd only just make it - early 1982).

quote:
Originally posted by clemtinite:
My favourite of which was The Final Question.

Apparently, that was Asimov's favourite short story too. I agree it was a really good one .

[This message has been edited by Rambutaan (edited 15 April 2002).]
MangAnime
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I also like the Alien, Alien vs. Predator & Predator series of books (not the movie based ones). This series of books are by various authors so each one varies a bit in their style, but they're still good. There were plans to make an A vs P movie but last I heard it had been dumped. Probably wouldn't be as good as the books either.

------------------
"The setting sun, ending of the light."
Cayuga
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I feel like I've come late to the party but here goes.

Sci Fi Favourites
Ursula Le Guin: The Earthsea Quartet, The Dispossed, The Lathe of Heaven, The Left Hand of Darkness(the last three are brain twisters)
Anne McCaffrey: The early Pern Books and Talent books.
Doris Lessing: Shikasta Series - these will make you think.
Robin Hobb: The Liveship Traders series. I thought it could have been better written, but I loved the theory behind it.

Other Favourites
John Elkon: Umfaans Heroes (you really need to concentrate on this one)
Samantha Mooney: A Snowflake in My Hand (tear jerker)
John Kjeljaard: Lion Hound (tear jerker)
Alexandra Dumas: The Three Musketeers has anyone else read this - they're funny - well once you get used to the language.
Kaye Gibbons: Charms For The Easy Life.
Marti Leimbach: Dying Young
Author unknown: Indecent Proposal this is miles above the movie the two protaganists are jewish and muslim - but I lent it to someone and haven't seen it since.
Leonore Fliescher:The Fisher King,it's based on the screen play but reads like a novel.
Isabelle Allende: The House Of The Spirits
Willa Cather: My Antonia
Patrick Conroy: Prince of Tides - don't bother with the movie - this is beautiful story.
Roald Dahl: Everything!!!!

Childhood books that still sit on my shelf.
Susana Coolidge: What Katy Did and What Katy Did Next.
E.J Oxenham: The Abbey Books
Elyne Mitchell: The Silver Brumby books and Moon Filly
Vicki Baum: Written On Water - this author was one of many banned in war time Germany.
Tolkien: Well I read Lord of the Rings in primary school so it's fitting that it goes here.
Johann Wyss: Does anyone remember the T.V. series Swiss Family Ronbinson? I found the book in second book shop a while, aahh memories.

oops I forgot a couple.
Susan Coolidge: Over Sea Under Stone, The Dark is Rising, The Grey King, Silver on The Tree and Greenwitch
Piers Anthony: The Cluster Series

------------------
Goodies...goody goody yum yum!

[This message has been edited by Cayuga (edited 16 April 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Cayuga (edited 16 April 2002).]
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Rambutaan: ... Level 42? Razz Choice!

Yeah, choice. Word up G. Keep it fresh. ... Hold on, my homeboy chip seems to have accidentally kicked in. *clik* Ahh, that's better.

I think it's one of those defining moments in growing up, y'know, when you realize not all music made before you turned 10 is crap. Sure, most of it is, but so is most of the music made after you turned 10.

Oh, and some recommendations for the fantasy readers (I used to be an avid reader of fantasy, but after long enough I found each successive book didn't contain any new plots or characters, so I went off it):

• Melanie Rawn - Dragon Prince and Dragon Star series. I promise you, these are gob-smacking amazing fantasy.
  • Raymond E. Feist - Riftwar. The first 3 books are great. After that they're fairly ordinary.
  • Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts - Daughter/Servant/Mistress of the Empire. Better than riftwar, and anime fans may appreciate the feudal-japan-style setting.
  • Stephen Donaldson - Thomas Covenant series. Compelling stuff, if you can get past the misogynism (and the rape in one scene).
  • Marion Zimmer Bradley - take your pick. Strictly for feminists only, or submissive men, Bradley writes very strong women characters and very downtrodden men.
  • Katherine Kerr - Deverry Books. Very different setting for fantasy, I think it was welsh-based or something. I personally think Palace and Polar City Blues/Nightmare are her premiere works, but most people like the Deverry books best.
  • Jennifer Roberson - Cheysuli Chronicles. Shape-shifters and shamanism. Rawr.
  • Sheri S. Tepper. I'd recommend "The True Game" and "Awakeners". Unless you are into sick stuff or totally non squeamish avoid "Revenants" like the plague.
  • Weis & Hickman - Rose of the Prophet. By far their best work after the original 3 Dragonlance books, and before they lost all creativity.

Enjoy!

- mib

Edit: speling.

[This message has been edited by mib (edited 16 April 2002).]
Verandi
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My favourite novel is The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder. Very philosophical, beautiful story. Sophie's World is also an amazing book.

------------------
<<<MY SNARE...>>>
-----------------
Recently refurbished ^_~

Visit www.geocities.com/jujumangajazz
...and don't let your brain become a sieve.
Debs-dragon
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont think you can beat the old masters myself. I love Mary Shellys Frankenstien. Stephen King has also put out some excellent works. Tolkien is another along with H.P. Lovecraft. I tend to go for the old fashioned horror story... can't u tell ! But the Hitchhikers Guide is also a timeless classic.

------------------
"Out of my mind..... Back in 5 minutes!"
Debs-dragon-dragonball-diaries
now open for business
Hitokiri Battousai
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i read a lot of fantasy, nothing too heavy (i HATED J.R.R. Tolkiens Silmarillion, i couldnt get past 3rd page).
fav authors include Robert Jordan (whens No 10 coming out??), Raymond E feist, Janny Wurts, Sara Douglass (although her new series basically sux), Traci Harding (an AUSTRALIAN author with interesting topics), Terry Pratchett (its very humourous, the city guard series is my fav. e.g. with vimes and carrot and co.) and many others.
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hitokiri Battousai:
Robert Jordan (whens No 10 coming out??)

I'm guessing next year, since he takes an average of 3 years to produce each successive book... Is it just me, or is he stretching the series out to make more money? I'm really getting sick of reading about Elayne poncing about in Caemlyn. -_-; Give me Mat the womaniser!
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by QueenSaiyan:
Can anyone recommend a series to get into after I've finished the Time of the Twins/War of the Twins/Test of the Twins trilogy? (Raistlin's such a sweetie!)

Get the Battledragon series by Christopher Rowley. Imagine 15 ft 2 ton dragons carrying 9ft dragon swords with dragonboy partners. Incredible and funny in some cases. Walking, talking, sword weilding dragons. A must read.
Top authors for me:
Christopher Rowley : Battledragon series and also his early stuff is great.
Anne McCaffrey : All her books except the period/romance novels she's done.
Roger Taylor : All his novels. They are all linked, but it's best to start with the Chronicles of Hawklan.
R.A. Salvatore : I love this guys novels. Can't wait to get the next Drizzt Du Urden novel.
Harry Harrison : Stainless Steel Rat series. The coolest crim/cop that ever exists.
C.J. Cherryh : Writing some of the best sci/fi, fantasy novels at the moment.
Julia Gray : The Guardian Cycle is a must have. Book 3 only released not long ago and I read it in 2 days. Even with work.
Katherine Kurtz/Deborah Turner Harris : Adept series. Accult/detective.
Margaret Weis/Tracy Wickman : I haven't read their dragonlance novels but their darksword and Rose of the Prophet series are great.Also Star of the Guardians was the series the got me into sci/fi.
Piers Anthony : Incarnations of Immortality.
Mike Jeffries : Loremasters of Elundium.
Alan Dean Foster : Journeys of the Catechist. Read, read, read. One of the most original fantasies in a while and enjoyable.
David Feintuch : His Seafort saga is one of the greatest sci/fi series you can get.
Barbara Hambly : Darwath saga. Dark fantasy and the 1st fantasy that I read.
David/Leigh Eddings : Their novels are legendary and a must read.
I like a lot of others like Sara Douglas, Carole Nelson Douglas, Maggie Furey, David Brin and Andre Norton.
2 books worth getting are 1632 by Eric Flint( West Virginian U.S. town gets sucked back to 1632 in southern Germany) and Pawns Dream by Eric S. Nylund( Duel reality novel)
Finally the worst ever book adaption was David Brins - The Postman. Kevin Costner absolutely must have been on drugs when he and the scriptwriters did this travesty of a movie. Don't watch this movie. Read the book instead.
This was the longest post I think that I've done.

------------------
The day I can't appreciate being eight years old will be the saddest one for me.

I bow before you, my performance at an end

[This message has been edited by JESTER (edited 28 April 2002).]
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hitokiri Battousai:
Robert Jordan (whens No 10 coming out.

He has terminal cancer and is writing as fast as his health allows it. You just hope that he doesn't dies before the series ends.

------------------
The day I can't appreciate being eight years old will be the saddest one for me.

Sentry
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of my favourite books would have to be "Do androids dream of electric sheep" which if your cultured enough you would know is what the movie "Blade Runner" is based on except it delves much more into the real issues and main characters than the movie ever did.

When I was younger I used to read David Gemmell books all the time. My favourite two being "The Last Sword of Power" and "Legend". Both were alright for the teen age group and I really enjoyed them, although I'm not sure if I'd enjoy them now.

I just don't have the time to read.
- Sentry

------------------
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Home defence at its best.
I'm a sucker for Java games
JGrl86
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by eggzoi:
I like me the action books, John Marsden's Tomorrow series

Love them but hate how you have to read all seven books to know the whole series. I hate books like that
NBK
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I seriously dig the Michael Marshall Smith books. Can't wait to read "The Straw Men"! Other favourites include: Terry Pratchet, Stephen King, Clive Barker, James P. Blaylock and Dante Alhigieri. Top stuff!

------------------
"Is that a rocket in your pocket?"
Sun_Shine_Lolly_PoP
Kuu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
best books i have read:

the gunslinger parts 1-4 by stephen king
obernewyton parts 1-5 by can't remember
the witches on eliniean 1-5 by kate forsyth
the chronicles of time ...or something parts 1-6 by tracy harding

and yes i have a thing for series. there are many other boks but i am tired

DEATH THE HARRY POTTER! DEATH TO THE DEMONESS J.K. ROWLING!
AznSupersaiyan21
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by SSLP:
obernewyton parts 1-5 by can't remember

Hey SSLP, haven't seen you around the boards lately. Anyway, the books to which you refer are called the Obernewtyn Chronicles and the author is Isobelle Carmody. Atm there are only 4 books, not 5. I think you might be getting confused by her other series she started, the Legendsong Chronicles which she started after writing the 4th Obernewtyn book the keeping place and, that one is called darkfall(i think, well im 98% sure). Either that or youre just one confused person. Anyway, as you can tell im a big fan of her writing, ask me a question bout them and ill know it!

And harry pothead, ahem, i mean potter isn't that bad - the movies are §hi+house though but the books are actually pretty good.

[This message has been edited by AznSupersaiyan21 (edited 21 April 2002).]
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by NBK:
I seriously dig the Michael Marshall Smith books.

I've read 'Only Forward' and thought it was one of the most original books ever, fantastic idea, and carried out well, with a great ending. I must try to read more.

quote:
SSLP:
the gunslinger parts 1-4 by stephen king

I think you'll find they're called 'The Dark Tower' series. They are most definitely his best books alongside 'It'.

------------------
life is a canvas
and the paint is hope and promise
the world is ours
no one can ever take it from us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
NBK
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNorman:
I've read 'Only Forward' and thought it was one of the most original books ever, fantastic idea, and carried out well, with a great ending. I must try to read more.

If u liked "Only Forward" then u must definitily read his "What you make it: Short Stories". There's some real amazing stuff in there!

------------------
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by JESTER:
Get the Battledragon series by Christopher Rowley. Imagine 15 ft 2 ton dragons carrying 9ft dragon swords with dragonboy partners. Incredible and funny in some cases. Walking, talking, sword weilding dragons. A must read.
<snip>
Pawns Dream by Eric S. Nylund( Duel reality novel)

I'm gathering that the Battledragon series isn't a Forgotten Realms one... I don't think I like the idea of Dragons fighting with anything but themselves XD

I've read Pawn's Dream ^_^ I quite liked it, most likely because it gave me an impression of being in a game like The Longest Journey or somesuch.

I'm quickly running out of books! Ack! I'm about to finish "The Black Raven" by Katharine Kerr, and I'll most likely have to start reading Robert Jordan again
Sun_Shine_Lolly_PoP
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanx for that Azn, i read so many books i can't remeber how many each set has. i call it the gunslinger, cuz roland is cool, so shut ur trap *dreams about roland* any way back to the point at hand.

i'm not very good at remembering books cuz i read so many, but then again i am a librarians daughter so i get them as i please ^_^ muahahaha...i should have so many late fees if it wasn't for my mum renewing all the time.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Battle Dragon isn't Forgotten Realms. It's a series about dragonboy Relkin and his Battledragon Bazil the Broketail. It has evil wizards + rocks, imps, ogres and different types of trolls. The good side has witches, the high ones(sinni) and the legions. It is great to read and there is never a dull moment. It even has a wild winged dragon who has lost the ability to fly and seeks revenge against those who did it to him. Dragons talking about different ways to cook a troll, wondering what horse tastes like and reading about when the wild dragon loses his temper and hurls terrified trolls back into the enemy. As you can read, that I love this series. I've must have read the lot at least a dozen times and I still love reading them. Besides the Dragonriders of Pern series, I don't think there is a dragon series that can come close. And at least in this series dragons speak the normal human language and interact more with society.
Go Relkin and Bazil - The Broketail of the 109th Marneri Dragons.
List of series:
Bazil Broketail
A Sword For A Dragon
Dragons Of War
Battledragon
A Dragon At Worlds End
ThE Dragons Of Argonath
Dragon Ultimate

I lent my series to a work colleage and she loves them. She's into the last 2 books of the series.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JESTER (edited 22 April 2002).]
Shawaazu
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I read books time to time, don't have much time now Yr12 and all (which reminds me got to finish R&G Are Dead soon). I might insult some people by saying this but The Keeping Place bored the hell out of me. The first three books were good but the 4th book was exhausting, the main girl just kept on thinking and thinking it was very annoying, heh.. I only reached the end of the first chapter before I returned it.
Utheras
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought Harry Potter was bloody brilliant. Ignoring all the freaking merchandising (which Warner Bros. desperatley needed to do to keep their head above water), HP are amongst the best goddamned books I have ever read. Simple, but FUN. Read all four in about a week and a half. Christ the fourth was effort...need...break...

But anyway...I love to read. And I love to write. Although I admit I definetly don't do as much reading as should be done, I've come to realise that I've only taken a sip in the genre I love the most. Horror.

Kudos to NBK for mentioning Clive Barker. The man is a genius, and IMO better than Steven King. King is kooky, Barker hands you back your brian and spinal cord and says 'Here, I made a few ajustments'. Literally.
As I said, I've only taken a sip in the primordial soup of horror, and try to get more books when money allows.

------------------
Who will it be today...?
BGSarevok
Yoriko Nakaido

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sentry:
One of my favourite books would have to be "Do androids dream of electric sheep" which if your cultured enough you would know is what the movie "Blade Runner" is based on except it delves much more into the real issues and main characters than the movie ever did.

I've never been able to find that book, dammit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
NBK
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Utheras:
Kudos to NBK for mentioning Clive Barker. The man is a genius, and IMO better than Steven King. King is kooky, Barker hands you back your brian and spinal cord and says 'Here, I made a few ajustments'. Literally.
As I said, I've only taken a sip in the primordial soup of horror, and try to get more books when money allows.

Try to get your hands on "Inferno" by Niven & Pournelle. It's a re-interpretation of "The Hell" by Dante Alighieri (the geezer that wrote in psalms in 1450 or sumthing). Scary and enormous fun to read!

I still have to read "Harry Pothead and the Philosopher's Blunt" though...

------------------
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by BGSarevok:
I've never been able to find that book, dammit.

I don't know where you live, but Minotaur here in Melbourne tend to have it in stock.

Personally, my favourite PKD is 'The Man In The High Castle'. Though 'A Scanner, Darkly' is good too.

I'll be interested to see how the upcoming film version of 'A Scanner, Darkly' goes. It's been one of Tom Cruise's pet projects for some years now.

------------------
life is a canvas
the world is ours
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AznSupersaiyan21
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shawaazu:
I might insult some people by saying this but The Keeping Place bored the hell out of me. The first three books were good but the 4th book was exhausting, the main girl just kept on thinking and thinking it was very annoying, heh.. I only reached the end of the first chapter before I returned it.

Yeah, the keeping place she did think way too much and the book would be quite annoying to people who hadn't read the other books before. But the first three (Obernewtyn, The Farseekers and Ashling) were very good - they're my favourites!
Sun_Shine_Lolly_PoP
Kuu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ave any one watched a movie called ExitenZ, that was on showtime foxtel last month. i love that movie. this book thing is boring.
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Sun_Shine_Lolly_PoP:
ave any one watched a movie called ExitenZ, that was on showtime foxtel last month.

Luke, you've turned off your targeting computer. Is everything okay? ... Stay on topic. Stay on topic.

Although I'm surprised to admit, you have pretty good taste in movies.

- mib
Sun_Shine_Lolly_PoP
Kuu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[This message has been edited by Hyper C's Kero-Chan doll (edited 26 April 2002).]
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That image really fires up the ol' epilepsy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
AznSupersaiyan21
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You took the words right out of my mouth. Also....Hyper C's actually been on the boards? He hasn't been reporting on his japanese trip....

[This message has been edited by AznSupersaiyan21 (edited 27 April 2002).]
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by AznSupersaiyan21:
You took the words right out of my mouth. Also....Hyper C's actually been on the boards? He hasn't been reporting on his japanese trip....

You're obviously not familiar with the secret behind Hyper C's Kero-chan doll. If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

Anyways, onto books...

I've just started reading Peter F. Hamilton's 'The Reality Dysfunction'. Two chapters in and it's already a total headfsck.

Oh, and in Minotaur tonight, I noticed that Greg Egan has a new book out. For those who don't know, Egan is probably Australia's best science fiction writer. His short stories contain more ideas than most other writers manage to fit into novels, so you can imagine what his novels are like.

And speaking as an Australian SF writer myself, all I can say is "YAY FOR AUSTRALIAN SCIENCE FICTION WRITERS!".

I think it's between me, Egan and Gary Disher... and the other two are well known

*Goes back to writing his novel, working the scene he told Davangelion about tonight into it*

------------------
life is a canvas
the world is ours
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
StorminNorman: Greg Egan has a new book out.

I agree, Greg Egan is a fantastic writer. Permutation City is one of my top five books of all time.

The new book is called Schild's Ladder. I saw it in Borders last night, but since I don't like trade paperbacks, I'm waiting for the paperback release in May.

- mib
AznSupersaiyan21
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNorman:
You're obviously not familiar with the secret behind Hyper C's Kero-chan doll. If I told you, I'd have to kill you.

I can probably guess - he only does it in The Staff Room, is that a good guess?
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finished reading Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones this morning. All I can say is, I have just been in the mind of a story telling genius!! I would've finished it in one sitting yesterday, if not for the late night blurred vision and headaches(it's worth it).

The books been written by RA Salvatore(who killed Chewie not long ago), but the story is definately all George Lucas'.

The Dark Side clouds everything....

(No spoilers. Not my style. But just reading about Yoda's lightsabre fight at the end.... )

------------------
"Why send flowers when you can say it all with guns."
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tallis:

The books been written by RA Salvatore(who killed Chewie not long ago), but the story is definately all George Lucas'.

Well RA Salvatore is one of the best authors that I've come across. Also one of the few who managed to branch out from his Forgotten Realms novels
*Looks at the Drizzt Du Urden novels and forces himself not to read. Just one page maybe.*

------------------

~Trunks~
Orihime Inoue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by JESTER:

*Looks at the Drizzt Do' Urden novels and forces himself not to read. Just one page maybe.*

Hehehe, I know what you mean. I love his books.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by ~Trunks~:
Hehehe, I know what you mean. I love his books.

I've the lot sitting on the shelf in the lounge room. Only the best of the best go there. It sits proudly with the books that I posted earlier.

------------------

Holistic_Heretic
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need but one author:

Philip K. ****

My favourite of his work is 'A Scanner Darkly'.

Others include 'Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep', 'Ubik', and 'Dr Bloodmoney'.

This guy wrote so much stuff I've only ploughed through about half. All of it is pure magic.

If I must pick up another authors' work, then Frank Herbet or Jeff Noon (mmmm....Automated Alice). Or any of the other countless pieces of classic science fiction masterpiece.

------------------
"People say I'm cruel, but really I have the heart of a child...in a jar, on my desk"
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by AznSupersaiyan21:

He has been on the boards recently, but he's a bit too busy with his exchange in Japan to be able to write on the boards about it, apart from the odd one line post every now and then in the Staff Room.

------------------
In memory of I have it! CARDCAPTOR SAKURA ON DVD! WAI!, 31.8.2001 - 5.12.2001

"No free toasters!?!? I'm leaving."

In Shinannth.cpp: Confused by earlier errors, bailing out.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Holistic_Heretic:
I need but one author:

Philip K. ****

I find it amusing that the UBB's naive matching censor's PKD's last name. I'm sure he would too

You forgot to mention PKD's most highly regarded novel: 'The Man In The High Castle', a frighteningly realistic depiction of what the world might be like had the Axis won the second World War.

I forget the name of the film, but a new Tom Cruise movie is coming up which is basically a film version of 'A Scanner, Darkly'.

------------------
life is a canvas
the world is ours
NBK
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
What about E.A. Poe?

------------------
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to recommend John Marco's - The Jackal of Nar - Bk1 of Tyrants And Kings.
I only started reading it yesterday on the way to work but I've already read over 300 pages of the 900+ page book. It's a strange fantasy where swords, magic and modern style science collide. For instance there are flame and acid throwers(sort of like modern day versions), swords/bows & arrows and magic.
To fully understand what I'm talking about, read the book. You won't find it boring if you like fantasy.
I just like to add this.
WAAAAAAIIIIII!. Elven Born is soon coming to hard cover. I've been waiting for this book to emerge for a long time and it'll only take about a year for it to come to paperback. For those who don't know. Elven Born is bk 3 of Andre Norton & Mercedes Lackeys - Halfblood Chronicles which started with Elven Bane followed by Elven Blood.
Now I have to wait and see if Dirk Strasser finally releases his 3rd bk of the Assension series.
------------------

[This message has been edited by JESTER (edited 21 May 2002).]
Sitting Duck
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
E.A. Poe is Edgar Allen Poe. His piece of writing that you'd most likely be familiar with is "The Raven" from a Simpsons episode.

My reading is limited to the Dragonlance series, Forgotten Realms and Star Wars.

QueenSaiyan: On Dragonlance I take it you've read the original Chronicles? Dragons of Autumn Twilight, D.o. Winter Night and Dragons of Spring Dawning.

Dragons of Summer Flame is also a must read... and then you can move onto the War of the Souls trilogy (the new ones from Weis and Hickman). Dragons of a Fallen Sun and Dragons of a Lost Star, with the third still on its way. Everything else from DL is optional, although Jean Rabe's Dragons of a New Age trilogy might help the new ones make a bit more sense (if you can ignore all the contradictions). But you should read them in that order.

Salvatore's Drizzt books were some of the best stories I'd read until Passage to Dawn. Yes, we know Drizzt has magical ankelts that make him move quickly, you don't have to tell us everytime he moves. However Spine of World and Servant of the Shard were brilliant.

Star Wars, if you are any kind of Star Wars fan you must read the New Jedi Order. Yuuzhan Vong kick arse! And Salvatore no longer has the dubious honour of being the only authour to kill off a major character.

------------------
Till All Are One!

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."
"Anyway, you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission . . . quest . . . thingy."
Psyprass
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Star Wars....? I've read Return of the Jedi!

Call me paranoid, but I've just dug through my pile of books and got absorbed into one of my hundreds of Goosebump books.^_^

------------------
Money isn't life. Life is life.
AdeptaCheese
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by ssj4_Vegeta:

yvan eht nioj

!ot tnaw t'nod i tub

Also, the best author EVER! is..
Matthew Reilly
he's an aussie and he writes sick action books! and they are fully sick mate.. fully sick in the aussie slang sense of course,

[This message has been edited by AdeptaCheese (edited 22 May 2002).]
QueenSaiyan
Batou

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sitting Duck:
E.A. Poe is Edgar Allen Poe. His piece of writing that you'd most likely be familiar with is "The Raven" from a Simpsons episode.

QueenSaiyan: On Dragonlance I take it you've read the original Chronicles? Dragons of Autumn Twilight, D.o. Winter Night and Dragons of Spring Dawning.

Dragons of Summer Flame is also a must read...

Actually, although I've read Dragons of Winter Night, I've only just bought the entire Chronicles a few days ago in a BOX (ooh, nice cover art ^_^). Why on earth was Dragons of Summer Flame not included in the box?

As for Edgar Allen Poe, I loved "The Black Cat" and "The Pit and the Pendulum" and "The Red Death". They were my favourites ^_^
merric
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If anyone's interested in non-fiction, I fully recommend Don Watson's new book about his work with Keating. I picked it up on the weekend and it's great. Well written and incisive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Page 2 of 51

Jump to: