Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

New vs Old

Goto page Previous  1, 2
New vs Old
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
winged_seraphim wrote:
I personally reckon it would've been pretty spiffy if they'd remade the eighties series, cel for cel with the new animation. then it would've had the heart, and the buffed up visuals!

This is where I need to say something.
I completely agree with you.

The origional 80's series should have been treated as an animatic storyboard for the new series.

60's series: http://www.sakuraland.com/Images/Scans/Misc/astroboy.JPG

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the 80's series... in terms of storyline and plot.

they should have taken the approach of george lucas....kinda...
better improved camera angles/ re animated scenes..... afew new episode storys here and there... but the charictures / main story / voices (as many as possible) should have been kept rock solid.

I do agree that this would have been a great oppertunity to re- tell the series... but they should have kept at least the first 8 eppisodes almost exactly the same.... "if it aint broke, dont fix it"

the origional first episode and the following few... were well paced and there was a great sence of story to it.... the first episode I watched of the new series... it was way too fast into it. THEY RUSHED IT!.

I dont know how many people noticed slight changes in astro's design... but I think theyre an improvement... except for the hand blaster..
and I like the old way he used to shoot lazers out his ass. Razz lol

the design and animation / effects is a huge step in improvement.. and I bow down to them for that... but major charicture change and story line.....thats the let down.

Admittedly there were some real corny episodes in the 80's series... and they could very well be replaced with some new in depth ones...

heres my promo pic for the new series the way I wanted it.
http://www.nowandalways.com.au/astro.jpg

personally... and I dont know if im going to get flamed for this... but id love to see a live action ASTROBOY. cgi astro of course... but live action for everything elce... and why not... they just did i robot.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because traditionally comic books or animated series that are made into live action movies suck, although there are a few exceptions. Besides I, Robot was just bad. They had never even planned to make an Asimovian movie until the legal department found out that the name they were using for the movie was the same as one for a book that already existed. Will Smith's character doesn't even exist in the book.
winged_seraphim
Melfina

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
But movies like Evangelion and Astro would be different, because like Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, they're being made for the fans, not for tweens!
moofactory
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
winged_seraphim wrote:
But movies like Evangelion and Astro would be different, because like Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, they're being made for the fans, not for tweens!

thats what I think... with that approach in mind... I think it could be sucsessfull
winged_seraphim
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I reckon it will if they get the team who worked on the eighties series, and the artists from the new series, then it will definately be spiffy!
AUSTIN316
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I downloaded the first 3 eps of the new series when it started in the US cause I was dying to see what it was like, I watched the first episode and could barely stomach to watch the whole thing and then I saw an episode when I was in the US (along with the horrible US versions of Sonic X and Shaman King) and swore I would never watch the dub ever again. Naturally the R4 release is dub only so most people wont get to see what a good series it is. The dubbing sucked so bad and Astro was so horribly Americanized. I was extremely happy when the Korean box set was released with English subs and when I watched it I enjoyed it a hell of alot more. I just wish they would hurry up and release a second box in Korea so I can see beyond the first 12 episodes! I do still prefer the 80's series, even the Japanese version seems a bit watered down compared to the 80's series. I also like the classmates better in the 80's show and I miss Daddy Walrus, I am happy to hear he turns up in the show! Oh the PS2 game is awesome too! Well I have the Japanese version so I am sure the US one has those crappy dub voices.
Tenement_Funster
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
AUSTIN316 wrote:
I downloaded the first 3 eps of the new series when it started in the US cause I was dying to see what it was like, I watched the first episode and could barely stomach to watch the whole thing and then I saw an episode when I was in the US (along with the horrible US versions of Sonic X and Shaman King) and swore I would never watch the dub ever again. Naturally the R4 release is dub only so most people wont get to see what a good series it is. The dubbing sucked so bad and Astro was so horribly Americanized.

I totally agree. In the new series the english dub is the one thing that sucks big time, but apart from that I think it turned out great.

A couple of weeks ago I buyed the pirated DVD's of the whole new series through ebay because I was so sick and tired of hearing Astro talking like that. The original japanese version is so much better, nevertheless the fact that the english subs' grammar is very poor and features some incorrect translations, such as 'Atelosi' (Atlas), 'Dr. Verchansu' (Dr. Ochanomizu), 'Wulan' (Uran), I could carry on like that...

The new series can't be compared directly with the 80's version, just like the 80's version can't be compared with the 60's one.
I think ev'ry AB era has its own characteristics and preferences.
However, since I grew up with the 80's series, this will always be the version I'm most affected to.
The new version definately shows the advance in today's anime technology, however it lacks on conveying certain emotions which the 80's version undoubtedly was (and still is) able to transmit.
Princess Jade
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeh I saw the first ep of Sonic fan subbed and loved it, couldnt wait for it to hit out screens, then it came...now I hate it...
grims_queaker
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i've seen most of the 80's version and a few eps of the new one and i like the 80's alot more, it has alot more appeal in it. The new one i think (like many otha anime like it) is just there to make money and thats its sole purpose.
My dad is a huge astro boy fan aswell, he grew up watching the 60's version, then the 80's version with my olda bro (i was born 89) and he luved both of them. Now he sat down and watched the new version and when he came out he sed "why is astro boy fiting giant teddy bears". he didnt like it, he thought it was degrading to a great series.
So both mine and my dads opinions is that the new astro boy is just like evry otha cartoon like poke'mon or digimon and is just there to appeal to little kids and make money, not to provide any true entertainment to any one olda than 5 (and that shud hav been a major factor when making it).
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
New Series:

Pro: Animation is good, the way his weapon systems work is better then the origional series(a nice Megaman style hand cannon)

Con: The voice actors, the plot and some of the re-done characters like Atlas is just a punk kid who dies in two episodes.

Origional Series:

Pro: Decent voices, decent fights in some cases with Atlas and Atlas being honourable and living for more then two episodes.

Con: Some of the episodes had very simple plots, the animation wasn't always perfect.

That's all if you ask me.
Red River
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good animation doesn't count for much if the stories and characterisation isn't there. You can only look at pretty pictures so long before getting bored. and then there's that voice. I really hope they re-dub the series one day. any chance I had of enjoying this 'new' version was ruined by that dam dub, and I'm a dub fan so that hurts. I find japanese voices a bit jarring with animation.

Cool
thundergod
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually I got the new series and am getting the second season box set from korea.

ANd I have seen the english dub of the new series, it sux so much
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone got any idea when Columbia are going to resume releasing the new Astro series on DVD?
Tim
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
They might be waiting for the upcoming US collection...?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2744

Although I don't know if that would make a lot of sense. And can they really fit fifty episodes onto five discs...?!
White Demon
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It doesn't look to me they're putting all 50 eps (wasn't there 51 eps in the new series?) into one set, as you can clerly see in the picture of the set on each DVD cover there is written 'four episodes'. So they might be spreading it out over 2 or three boxes.

I've bought all the 6 DVD released here so far but I don't really care if they release any more or not. I've got they 80's version (YAY) and now the big wait is on for the Madman release of the 60's version and Kimba.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I for one certainly hope they finish releasing the series, for completion's sake if nothing else.
Benza
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
winged_seraphim wrote:
I personally reckon it would've been pretty spiffy if they'd remade the eighties series, cel for cel with the new animation. then it would've had the heart, and the buffed up visuals!

[/quote]

Um I think you meant scene for scene, cell for cell would not have buffed up visiuals, as it would be competly identical to the original. Sorry just had to point that out.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kero-chan wrote:
Anyone got any idea when Columbia are going to resume releasing the new Astro series on DVD?

Anyone? Sad
Chupa Chups
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mad Anime Fan wrote:
New Series:

Pro: Animation is good, the way his weapon systems work is better then the origional series(a nice Megaman style hand cannon)

Con: The voice actors, the plot and some of the re-done characters like Atlas is just a punk kid who dies in two episodes.

Origional Series:

Pro: Decent voices, decent fights in some cases with Atlas and Atlas being honourable and living for more then two episodes.

Con: Some of the episodes had very simple plots, the animation wasn't always perfect.

That's all if you ask me.

umm... They're changing Atlas? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chupa Chups wrote:
They're changing Atlas? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Atlas has been changed. Past-tense. He also features less prominently in this series - of the six volumes I've seen, he only appeared on the first [and second?] volume.
Persocom
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The old character of Atlas got transposed to The Blue Knight, who features heavilly in the second half. Atlus turns up a couple more times, but not to the extent he was in the 80's series.

As for the rest of the series, they're apparently releasing a box in America with all 50 Episodes. TvShowsOnDVD.com writes "Astro Boy - The Complete Series blasts onto store shelves on March 29th, in a 5-DVD package that costs $49.95 SRP. The running time is 1010 minutes, according to Sony. Below we have a shot of the black outer slipcover box, and fanned out behind it are the five individual disc casts which slip inside." (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2744)

If you look closely, each of the five volumes states "4 Episodes". Simple maths states 5 X 4 is 20, not 50. I'm waiting for this to come out so I can see responses on Amazon, and find out if it does indeed have the 50 episodes. If it does, I may have to import since the local boys don't seem to be releasing any more. The second half is ten times better than the first. Besides, the 2003 series box will look nice next to the 80's tin and the 60's series when Madman release that.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Persocom wrote:
The old character of Atlas got transposed to The Blue Knight, who features heavilly in the second half. Atlus turns up a couple more times, but not to the extent he was in the 80's series.

Yeah, I was thinking that as I watched volume six today.

Persocom wrote:
As for the rest of the series, they're apparently releasing a box in America with all 50 Episodes.

I'm aware of the box set, but I'll wait for it to come out so I can get solid info on it. They claim there's all 50 episodes, but then they say it's only 5 discs. That might suggest flippers, but Sony's site shows the discs with art printed on one side. They also say it'll be full-frame, even though the show was done in widescreen.

I guess time will tell, but I'm hoping for either a continued R4 release, or for this box set to be decent.
Kirben
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kero-chan wrote:

Volume 7 - 10 of the new Astroboy series showed up on OFLC web site recently, so I expect they will be released soon now.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
*checks OFLC website*

Sweet. Very Happy

Thanks for the info Kirben - clever thinking to check the OFLC site. Wink
winged_seraphim
Melfina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
clever Kirben ^_^

now we need to find out some specific dates!
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried looking at the classification dates of the original volumes in comparison to the release dates, but that didn't help. First two volumes were classified around three months before release, but the next two were only classified two weeks prior. So it's a bit hard to guess a release for volumes 7 onwards based on that. I'm hoping for next month, since they usually came out just after mid-month and it seems too late for that to happen this month.
Creedy
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't understand why people are buying the local release of the new series when you can import a proper official release from Columbia with a Japanese track and subtitles. Theres no english track of course but thats a good thing from what I hear.
Persocom
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good thinking Kirben! I normally only check the OFLC site for game releases.

And Creedy, maybe because the local version is a third of the price. Local versions cost AUD$15 each, while Japan versions cost 3,800 each, which is about AUD$46 -- and then there's shipping! Besides, alread started getting the local version, I might as well finish it.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
For those who are interested, DVD Orchard have listings for Volume 7, Volume 8 and a Complete Second Season box set.
winged_seraphim
Melfina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sad so long to go
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Better than not at all, which is how it looked for a few months...
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmmm I most definately want this new show but do not like the idea of having to collect so many volumes then a boxset for season two.

Does anyone know if they'll box up the first season as well?

Though even if they do it'll cost a lot by the time we buy both.

Right now the R1 complete set is cheap at $37.46 at

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007KZQAC/qid=1113184395/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-3957684-2827025?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

This is very tempting, despite no japanese audio track.

Can also tell me how they rate the packaging, what's it made from, is it sturdy etc etc

That would be greatly appreciated.
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, it's not at all tempting without anamorphic widescreen.

Sony still suck it seems.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shocked Atlas returns in the new series?
What volume of the DVD is that and eh I wish they had kept Atlas as Atlas to pay homage not sort of wrecking him as the new main villan of sorts.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So any opinions on the sets yet?
Lets_be_fair01
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys;

I am definitely an Astroboy fan & I am not just trying to flog stuff here. I thought you guys might be interested in ASTROBOY the ORIGINAL 80s series. I have currently in stock ASTROBOY the ORIGINAL 80's series BRAND NEW on DVD on Ebay. I have the following volumes on auction now:

X3 ASTROBOY volume 2 ORIGINAL 1980'S series NEW *5 episodes
X3 ASTROBOY volume 3 ORIGINAL 1980'S series NEW *5 episodes
X3 ASTROBOY volume 5 ORIGINAL 1980'S series NEW *5 episodes

You can also find my items also through my user ID: Lets_be_fair01.
I am also able to order more copies & other volumes in the series. I will be looking at $21.95 each + postage, but if you buy 3 copies together I will offer them for $17.99 each. I would look at other discounts for more bulk, etc. The more you buy the more you save, so that advantage guys! If you know anyone else who may be interested please pass this onto them. Any enquires or requests please also feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Lets_be_fair01

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: