Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Japanese Exchange Programs

Japanese Exchange Programs
Author
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Japanese Exchange Programs Reply with quote
I scratched the surface of this issue in my 'Seeking Hyper C' thread.

Anyway, I was wondering what are some of the good short-term Japanese homestay options available to a 19 year old freak like me. I understand some of you have had some experience in these matters and I'd love to hear your advice. Wink
Cypher-Khan
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Japanese Exchange Programs Reply with quote
TRC7 wrote:
I scratched the surface of this issue in my 'Seeking Hyper C' thread.

Anyway, I was wondering what are some of the good short-term Japanese homestay options available to a 19 year old freak like me. I understand some of you have had some experience in these matters and I'd love to hear your advice. Wink

How short??... cause the one I just got is only 17 days... and only 4 of that is spent with an actual family... the rest is living on college grounds (or near to the grounds... I cant remember).

Havent gone yet... cant give advice... but my 19 year old freak nature is just waiting to ambush some poor Japanese schoolgirl, (and also a tonne of manga places, and food places, and Sony Media World... thats gonna rock)
TRC7
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Japanese Exchange Programs Reply with quote
Cypher-Khan wrote:

... my 19 year old freak nature is just waiting to ambush some poor Japanese schoolgirl, (and also a tonne of manga places, and food places, and Sony Media World... thats gonna rock)

So.. we have a few things in common. Wink

By short term I mean 2 to 4 weeks. I've been to Japan before, just not on exchange. Which are the reputable organisations involved in homestay?
Silent Blade
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i may be able to help here, my school participates in homestay alot so i can look into it here... unless of course you have already left in which case i wont bother???

awaiting your reply
Luciferian
Nanoha Takamachi

Location: Baulkham Hills ( the classy version of bogan ville)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, i would love to do homestay but its hard to find a reliable company of sorts. Confused

If we could
Melt together and die together, that'd be
Real bliss.

No.1 Lordconan Fangirl STILL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Utheras
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TRC7, by complete chance I've perused the madboards and seen your 2 threads. Almost heading the way of Hyper C I frequented here less and less but that was because of dial-up, which almost stopped me foruming altogether. But things have changed, and with a mention of my going to Japan I thought, hey! You should stay in Japan longer.

If you're set on going homestay for short term, well, I can't really help you out there. But what I did was work for Nova for a year (although I stayed for 8 months), teaching english. Flights are organised, transportation, meeting up, training and accomodation are all set up for you. The best thing was no up front payment for accomodation (whatever the word is), and they're very flexible with apartment locations.

I loved it, and it was a very enlightning experience for me. If I wasn't changing so much and going from place to place, I'd probably still be there.

I was planning on a thread (or the final posting of my Lost in Japan thread) when I came back, but alas, dial up for me was really acting up. Razz

What are you actually looking to do?
They've come to witness the beginning. The rebirth of Paradise, despoiled by mankind. Remember me, and your true self as well, also that which you must become. The one who will lead us to Paradise with blood stained hands.
TRC7
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is my situation. I'm not a student. I'm 19 and I work full time, in a job I love, throughout the year. My reasons for returning to Japan are mainly for meeting people and improving my Japanese. I'm on holidays from mid december to late January so this is amount of time I have - either for these holidays or even next year. So, I was wondering what kind of options are available.

Alternatively, I am also very interested in dedicating a year of my life to live in Japan, teaching English or whatever I can do on the cheap, like homestay. I'd love to go to school or something so I can interact with people, but I'm probably too old. What do you think Utheras?

Thanks a lot Smile
TRC7
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
*bump* (almost) Any suggestions will be appreciated. Smile
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmmm... You're 19 and not a student.... I'm not sure there's any homestay programs for someone like you, I was 17 and in high school when I went on the homestay exchange program...
Shinannth
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try your local Rotary club perhaps?
Jeranon
Ryuk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Although it doesn't look like you're a uni grad.... Reply with quote
JET Applications Now Open

Are you hanging out to get to Japan?

Want to share Australian culture and learn more about Nihon?

Have you considered applying to the JET Program?

The JET Program (Japan Exchange and Teaching) is a Japanese government sponsored exchange program that aims to improve foreign language teaching in schools and to promote international understanding. The JET Program offers university graduates under the age of 40, the opportunity to work as either Assistant Language Teachers (ALT) in primary and secondary schools, or as Coordinators for International Relations (CIR) in selected local government offices throughout Japan.

The JET Program provides a wonderful experience and the chance to be a real part of Japanese life and culture. It offers great conditions and provides valuable support for its participants.

JET 2005 applications can be downloaded from http://www.japan.org.au/Jet.htm or send your postal address through to jet@japan.org.au or telephone: 02 6273 2679 to receive a paper application.
Silent Blade
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i see you getting basically all the help you need here... i've never heard of the jet program b4. guess you learn something everyday
ronin
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I went to Japan on an exchange in May. I went for a month and stayed with the family the whole time bar three nights. My exchange was through my local council through the Sister City Exchange Program. Maybe you should look into it, maybe your council has a program like this too.

I am ronin

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: