Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Comic Books - Who collects?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Comic Books - Who collects?
Author
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Comic Books - Who collects? Reply with quote
To clarify we aren't talking about manga here. We are talking about Western styles of comics. So who collects? What do you collect? How long have you been a collector?

I personally didn't get into comics until after I began enjoying manga. There haven't been too many things that have caught my eye but The End: Wolverine series certainly has. Thats all I have at the moment, but I am looking at branching out into other things.

What about the rest of you?
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to buy one off comics as a kid, but now, I'm getting DareDevil and Elektra.
Kardith
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just bought the Johnny The Homicidal Maniac Director's cut the other day..
ghost904
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i collect spiderman
Colin Henderson
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not much of a comic nut, outside of TINTIN. The last comic I read was a trade paperback of WATCHMEN that I bought for cheap (it had a bent back cover).

It's simply one of the greatest things I've ever read in my life.
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the JTHM and Squee strades, as well as I Feel Sick issues 1 and 2. I'm also gradually collecting the trades for Tank Girl and Crimson. Oh, and most issues of Platinum Grit except for, I think, issue 7. Zedstar put me on to ALL of those.

Other than that, nothing really. As a young teen i used to collect Star Wars comics, the Mara Jade: Emperor's Hand set was a pretty kickass story.
oogi2000
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Used to collect X-Files comics. Shame they got shittier along with the TV series with time progressing.
Citizen_Joe
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to collect heaps of titles a few years back, before Marvel starting going down hill. I collected Fantastic 4, Deadpool, Mutant X, all of the X-Men comics, Amazing Spiderman, Peter Parker Spiderman and a few others I can't remember.
At the moment I'm getting Punisher: Born. Comics have gotten too expensive and slow paced for my likings.
Although as mentioned below, I encourage anyone to pick up a copy of Watchmen. Its probably the best comic book ever written.
actor_au
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have every Simpsons Comic till number 40.

Ironically that was the month that I got a job and could afford to buy comics.

I'm slowly getting all the Sin City books I can, because Sin City is just pure Hardcore comics.
Gydafud
Whinges too much

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got heaps of Aliens, Aliens vs something, Predator, Predator vs something, Aliens Vs Predator, and Aliens vs Predator vs something comics.

Also have heaps of the old TMNT series comic, that was until they discontinued it here in Australia.
Mattos
Spaurh Aron Sekpadao Letopanyu Peneju

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to collect the sonic comics that was produced by archie comics. But ive stopped because i dont like the new approach. Also the quality of the artwork has dropped considerably since i last bought one. The best part was the End Game mini series. A really good mini series. Very Happy
strideryb
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
2000 AD and all its related magazines past and present (Megazine, Best of, Judge Dredd monthly etc)
Started in 1988, so into my 16th year of collecting (800 + progs). Don't enjoy as much as I used to - Its only Dredd and inertia which keep me collecting at the moment.
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HellBoy... He is way smooth.

Also big block buster Movie comming soon.
mangadude
Isamu Dyson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to collect Spiderman comics and obtained well over a hundred issues in the years that I bought them. Then the stories became stale and at that stage my income was high enough that I could afford videos and then DVDs.
Baxy
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to collect Sonic comics from 25 til 100 but after moving around a fair bit I couldn't find them and gave up.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
X-Men is really the only American comic I read reguarly, with the occasional Spider-Man. I do try and pick up as many Dreamwave comics as possible (Street Fighter, MegaMan, Transformers), though.

I prefer to just buy the graphic novels. It's easier and works out being cheaper, for me. Although when Astonishing X-Men (VOl. 3) is first released in May I'll be picking that up: Joss and Whedon and John Cassidy? Oh yes!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
strideryb wrote:
2000 AD and all its related magazines past and present (Megazine, Best of, Judge Dredd monthly etc)
Started in 1988, so into my 16th year of collecting (800 + progs). Don't enjoy as much as I used to - Its only Dredd and inertia which keep me collecting at the moment.

Very nice dude! I buy the odd 2000ad one here and there, but i have to say Durham Red is the best Wink
ShigureBerry
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I never learnt to read.... Crying or Very sad
Utheras
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone collect Image comics? Don't know what the general concencus is (I've heard ONE negative comment about them), but I find they bring out the most interesting, dark and pretty comics out there.

I used to (until I ran out of money, and moved to Japan) collect Out There, Last Shot, Violent Messiahs, Transmetropolitan, Lenore (LENORE!), JTHM; aaand a few other tie-ins, Star Wars mini series, and many, many Aliens and Aliens vs. comics. If the story was dark enough and most pretty (I really went for clean or defined artwork) I prolly got it from Image. Not to mention the thousand other independant comics out there that didn't last a day, but were really good IMO.

Lenore rocks. That and Transmet were prolly my favourites.
They've come to witness the beginning. The rebirth of Paradise, despoiled by mankind. Remember me, and your true self as well, also that which you must become. The one who will lead us to Paradise with blood stained hands.
Sauce
Sakura Kinomoto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee, I Feel Sick & Fillerbunny are all the western comics that grace my shelves. I'm not a big fan of superheroes, and i cant really be arsed looking around for something more interesting.

Its not like i'd have money to buy em anyway :p

Prepare yourselves for the subjugation!
Lacrox
BT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
About 6-7 years ago I use to collect Spider-Man, but then there was a huge price jump where I use to buy them from so I stopped. The "Return of the Green Goblin" story arc was incredible though and I was surprised that I felt sad when Ben Reily died.

Though depending on how good Hellboy (the movie) is I might start collecting that.

Wandering Idiot: In Iraq, in the middle of a mortar attack, the guy next to me turned and said:

"Man, you know, I really like muffins, but muffin is such a gay word. They should call them mancakes."
LeoFlare
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i read Transformers G1 (Marvel and Dreamwave), Spiderman, X-men, G.I Joe and Transformers Modern and WW2, Transformers The War Within and when it comes out Devil May Cry
Creedy
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've never really bought comics. I've always wanted to get X-men comics but wanted to start from the beginning. Well I can do that now, the other week I saw these Marvel Essental's books. I think thats what it's called. Five volumes worth of X-men up to issue 200 or so. I'm gonna buy them, $30 each.
I also want to buy the new Street Fighter comics, I have the scans and they are really good.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the only ones ni_jal is collecting at the moment are Defiance & Victory
Roland Apricot
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ShigureBerry wrote:
I never learnt to read.... Crying or Very sad

XD gold!!!

I collect Phantom comice. My daddeh collected them in teh (ASS!!! damn you sauce!) 70's and early 80s, and I started it up again in the 90's and have multiple numbers of them, including some American ones, which are wierd - one of them has an aussie bad guy who is merve hughes XD

Roland's Blog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Melbourne Mew Mew
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got into comics via anime/manga (and the X-Men cartoon of the early 90s), dropped out for several years, then came back a couple of years ago. Favourites include Knights of the Dinner Table, Birds of Prey, Abadazad, and Legion. I collect a lot of others as well.
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't read comics, except The Phantom on occaision, and I am firmly of the belief that the only good "comics" come from Japan.

Although, I do like Nodwick, Knights of the Dinner Table, What's New With Phil and Dixie, and that other one that's in Dragon Magazine (I can't remember what it's called:cry).
Koroshiya_Keefu
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read a lot of Manga, but when it comes to actual comics, mainly all of the multiple Transformer series that are available... There are a few now, and I haven't bought them for a couple of months. I'm in it mainly for the amazing artwork... Brilliant stuff.
Come look now! Not later la!
Melbourne Mew Mew
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Schroedinger's_Cat wrote:
I don't read comics, except The Phantom on occaision, and I am firmly of the belief that the only good "comics" come from Japan.

Well, I did have that attitude for a while, and I'm still primarily a manga fan, but in the last couple of years or so I reassessed it and decided it was a silly attitude to have, and there is a lot of enjoyable American-created material. Admittedly, the fact that I like the superhero genre helps, and I think the biggest weakness of American comics in attracting more of an audience is the dominance of that particular genre.
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, it does. I seriously dislike the american fixation on superheroes.

[gross generalisation] It further demonstrates that no-one in their society could actually be bothered to do something to help those in need. The just rely on "someone else" to do it for them. [/gross generalisation]
GreyShadow
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to collect comics. Ok, I still have boxes and boxes of them in the back room and the garage. Mostly Marvel, some Image, DC and others.

Gave up when just wasn't finding the stories of interest anymore. If I remember correctly, I think I spent about $15,000 over the years buying them.

I just moved, and those boxes are heavy suckers!
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Creedy wrote:
I've never really bought comics. I've always wanted to get X-men comics but wanted to start from the beginning. Well I can do that now, the other week I saw these Marvel Essental's books. I think thats what it's called. Five volumes worth of X-men up to issue 200 or so. I'm gonna buy them, $30 each.
I also want to buy the new Street Fighter comics, I have the scans and they are really good.

The Essential Books that Marvel release are in black and white. hence the cheepness. Thought you'd like to know. It doesn't really detract much, but some of the scenes look slightly cluttered.

And the Street Fighter comics are very good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chris
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I used to collect comic books, but stopped when I realised just how much I spending every week on them - so I went cold turkey! On top of that I was even publishing an Australian comic there for a while. It was good fun but the Australian market isn't nearly strong enough to carry its own comics industry much further than just doing it for the enjoyment of it.

Last night I read the first comic I've read in ages - Ring of Roses, a 4 issue arc from Dark Horse - excellent. I'm even thinking of entering a comic store again.... and see what's around Exclamation

Any recommendations for current series that have really good stories? Given, I also tended to read stuff like Sandman and independents.
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chris wrote:
Any recommendations for current series that have really good stories? Given, I also tended to read stuff like Sandman and independents.

I'd recommend League of Extraordianry Gentlemen. It's written by Alan Moore(the guy who Geinman looks up too)
Dizrythmia
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a MASSIVE collection of Star Wars comics. I love the expanded universe stories. I'm not really into the Episode 1 & 2 stuff, but anything revolving around the original trilogy is great. I'm currently getting Return of the Jedi infinities. Infinities is a great series. For those who don't know, they start the story off the same way as the movie, but 1 small detail is changed & the whole story arcs in a different angle. For this one?? It is during the scene where Leia disguised as Boussh negotiates a deal with Jabba. Jabbe hits C3PO & knocks him over. The 1 thing that changes?? Jabba hits C3PO a little TOO hard & he smashes into pieces. It all changes from there.
As a kid I used to collect Fleetway comics: Buster, Whizzer & Chips, Whoopee, Monster Fun etc etc. Now I'm kinda in a revival stage of my life where I'm scouring Ebay for those comics to read again for old times sake.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Void
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Used to collect spiderman, but quit after the onslaught saga happened to the Marvel Universe, still have my onslaught limited edition copy nice and sealed away somewhere, i think.. oh used to collect venom too, some good artists there just cant remember there names, damn memory loss. Dont really collect anything other then anime anymore, its just too much BS storylines to me, clones, etc etc etc. hehe

Laters

Void

"You can prove anything with statistics, 65% of the people world wide know that"

"USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population"
illukar
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chris wrote:

Well, in that line you'd probably enjoy "Lucifer". It basically carries on from when Lucifer left Hell in Sandman and successfully captures the...inhumaneness of Lucifer. "1602" by Gaiman is also interesting and current.
Utheras
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ooh speaking of Star Wars related comics, anyone read Tag and Binks are Dead? It's not really an alternate storyline, but of two happless Rebels that intercept with the main storyline of A New Hope and Empire. Damn funny, and will leave you thinking 'OOOh so THATS how it happened!'. Laughing
They've come to witness the beginning. The rebirth of Paradise, despoiled by mankind. Remember me, and your true self as well, also that which you must become. The one who will lead us to Paradise with blood stained hands.
Melbourne Mew Mew
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chris wrote:

It's early days yet (only the first two issues have been released) but I'm really enjoying "Abadazad". In a nutshell, "Abadazad" is the world in a series of childrens books written by Franklin O. Barrie (bonus points if you get the references), which the main character, Kate, loved as a child, before her little brother disappeared. Now a cynical teenager, Kate discovers that Abadazad is REAL, and her brother has been captured there.

I love this title for its juxtaposition of childhood innocence and adolescent angst, without going too far either way and becoming fluffy or nasty.
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i picked up Cable & Deadpool #1 yesterday, it's pretty good. Action aplenty, and explosions.

Plus I've decided to start getting B.P.R.D aswell
woo liz~
Urd
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
No one can go past the Asterix Series!

Go Asterix and Obelix the Gaul!!!!! (Frenchman) and thier little dog Dogmatix
Boo Ceasar!!!!!!! Boo the stupid Roman Legionaries!!!!
hemp knight
Kuu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
most definately!!!!! asterix and tintin are teh best!!!!!!

urd have you read all of the asterix books???

other than manga i dont really go out of my way to get comics....i'll read them if they are there but otherwise no..

*dedicated image harvester*

mayuka takata is teh win
kuhly
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
when i was a kid i used to collect commando comics but my brother kept stealing now he has a massive collection of them, i only 4 left.

Cynical by nature, Anti-social By choice

Fallout fan boy since '99
Angel_Cop_Fan
Kuu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Used to collect marvel comics before

Series i have.
Silver Sable
Deathlok
Shroud - Limited Series
Slapstick - Limited Series
Union Jack - Limited Series / Paperback
Blackwidow Paperback
Nick Fury 2nd Series

Have a few more just can't remember then all.
The Scream Man
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh yeah. Ima BIG comic fan.

My wife and i get:
Ultimate Spiderman
Nightwing
Robin
Spidergirl
Y The Last Man
Exiles
Superman (while Jim lee is drawing it anyway)

i get the Dreamwave G1 Transformers stuff as trades, and used to get Street Fighter, but had to let it go for budgetary reasons. Shame really, its a good series.

ive got lots of complete series of comics. Over a 1000 easily.

For a GOOD series to collect thats not superheroy: Y The last Man. everything with a Y chromosone on Earth dies except for one uy and his pet monkey. BRILLIANT series

a short film series experiment
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
hemp knight
Kuu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
even the girls die??? woooo what a lonely guy...

not wait....female is xx.....lucky!!!!! Laughing

mayuka takata is teh win
juggalette
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
used to i recently sold all the phantom comics, including volume one which was unopened
they were a cool read Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hemp knight
Kuu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
for how much?????? Shocked

mayuka takata is teh win
Creedy
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
B U M P

I started buying X-Men comics because of that whole "Reload" deal. So now I am buying the following comics:-

Astonishing X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
X-Men
New X-Men: Academy X
X-Force

I also found something much better then the Marvel Essentials range, its the Marvel Masterworks HC's. In Australia they are about $85 each, but you can import them for about $55 each. They are great because they are in full colour and currently go from issues 1-42 and then 94-132.

Lastly can anyone tell me about the Ultimate X-Men, Exiles, District X, X-Statix and Excalibur comics?
Grand Master 67
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got around 400 conan comics Smile...

king Conan series
Conan the barbarian
Conan the king
conan the conqueror
savage sword of conan
conan annuals

Smile...
f*** with 'im, and watch melburn rock to hells kitchn~
Wiltshire Sharp (feat Autism)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: