Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The General Video Game Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 339, 340, 341  Next
The General Video Game Discussion Thread
Author
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If stormo gets to recommend obscure titles, then so do I!

- Panzer Dragoon 2 & Panzer Dragoon Saga: Games worth buying a Saturn for. PD2 is incredible, with massive levels, effects, levelling up, storyline (a bit hokey, but good nonetheless) and level 4 has the best water effects in any 32-bit game ever. Period. PDS is simply incredible - there's a reason it goes for obscure amounts of money on eBay. With Orta out in its uberness, I can only hope a follow-up RPG comes out. Team Andromeda rock.

- Thunderforce V: Awesome little shooter. Not as much of a masterpiece as Radiant Silvergun mind you, but uber.

- Cotton 2: Having only played Cotton 2 and Cotton Boomerang, I can't say much else about other games in the series. Throw in a 1-meg RAM cart into your Saturn and enjoy - a quirky shooter with cute graphics, catchy tunes and 2D-fighter gameplay (i.e. qcf, etc movements do special attacks).

- Parodius: Sheer genius. I wonder how this would go if Treasure went and re-created it for a next gen system. Especially the very amusing Sexy Parodius.

- Super Puzzle Fighter 2X: Fanboy puzzle game with SD characters.

- Megaman/Rockman X4: Still my favourite Megaman/Rockman game. Very difficult to finish the game with X with every power-up, but worth it.

- Tokimeki Memorial: It's like playing an anime. Except that by admitting you played this game, your admitting something potentially humiliating Very Happy

- Shining Force: Excellent games, though number 3 was irritating because I kept dying. I blame the game rather than my crap skills.

- Sakura Taisen/Wars: Cool cannot describe this game, even if Vikki used to pay me out about it and call it Revenge of the Toaster Ovens. Uber quality games; one day I'll actually get around to finishing 2, 3 and 4!

- Princess Crown: Sublime 2D adventure game - was a joy to play through this one.

- Virtual On: It's like the penultimate mecha game.

- Grandia: Forget the poxy English-language PSX version where alcohol is 'milk' and the dubbing is deleriously poxy. An incredible achievement on the Saturn, and one I should go and finish!

- Silhouette Mirage: Also forget the PSX version of this, either JP or English. The Saturn 2D horsepower shows off some incredible effects and Working Design's dubbing efforts are excruciatingly pitiful. In contrast, the Japanese Saturn version is uber.

- Saturn Bomberman: 10-player bomberman. 'nuff said.

- Samurai Shodown: The only game that made weapon combat in a fighting game work so well. SS4 is my pick of the bunch, though I admit it's also the one I have played the most. SNK are uber.

- Guardian Heroes: Quite possibly the best side-scrolling beat-em-up... if it were more than two players; in lieu of this, it ties with D&D.

- Streets of Rage 2: Second best side-scrolling beat-em-up; max your lives and put the difficulty on maniac - nothing beats it.

- Final Fight: Obligatory mention of the game that truly succeeded Double Dragon. Uberness, and the dubbing on the Mega CD version (not sure if it was present in the arcade version) is so bad it's good.

- Popful Mail: Uber Mega CD game. Mind you I couldn't get past one of the early bosses, but it is still ace.

- Gunstar Heroes: First Treasure game I played. It rocked in 1993. It still rocks in 2004. Uncannily perfect in 2-player cooperative mode.

- Phantasy Star 2: Best RPG I've ever played. Can't wait for the AGES remake.

- Secret of Mana: The game that convinced me I had to buy a SNES.

- Super Mario World: No matter how often I play it, it never gets old. Genius.

- Super Mario Bros. 3: Penultimate 8-bit Mario.

- Sonic 3 + Knuckles: When connected and played through both titles in their entirety, this is Naka's 2D opus, only ever challenged by NiGHTS. Good memories.

- Alex Kidd in Shinobi World: Best SMS game ever, next to...

- Wonderboy 3: The Dragon's Trap: Where this came from I don't know, but it is an incredible piece of 8-bit uberness. Wonderboy in Monster World on the Mega Drive was equally excellent, but I thought I'd mention this one anyway!

- Moon Patrol: It has cool blip-blip sound and music. It rocks.

There we go! Granted too many Saturn games in there, but I love my Saturn Very Happy

-Mangaman-
Mr. Wendal
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obscure games?
How about KGB

Like the best adventure game ever.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jeranon wrote:
Did anyone play Shadow Hearts?

I didn't.

I did... ages ago. I rented it.

It was alright-ish, but the judgement wheel annoyed the hell out of me.

Now I've said that, of course, all these weird Shadow Hearts fanboys will come crawling out of the woodwork to explain why its superior to every other RPG battle system ever.

Mangaman wrote:
Panzer Dragoon 2 & Panzer Dragoon Saga

I've decided, after much playing of both Orta and PD2, that Orta is my favourite Panzer Dragoon. I can't comment on PD1 though, simply because the XBox port of it is horrible.

Quote:
- Cotton 2

I attempted to play Cotton 2 in MAME recently, however the ST-V emulation left a lot to be desired (and Cotton is one of the "better" ST-V games in MAME). I love a good cute-em-up though, so I may track down either this or Boomerang soon enough.

Quote:
- Parodius

Hell yes. I'd kill someone in front of their mother for a Parodius V.

HEY THAT REMINDS ME WHY HASN'T ANYONE MENTIONED THE UBERNESS OF GRADIUS V YET? IT'S OUT IN AUSTRALIA SO EVERYONE GO AND BUY IT NOW.

Quote:
- Grandia

Agreed. Also, forget Grandia II, as its an insult to the first one.

Quote:
- Silhouette Mirage

This is on my "list of Japanese Saturn games I must own now", alongside DoDonPachi, Soukyugurentai and Guardian Heroes.

Didn't know there was a PSX version of it, though.

Quote:
- Samurai Shodown

SamSho 2 is the best in the series. 4 was... odd.

Quote:
- Final Fight

Final Fight Guy > Final Fight.

Quote:
- Popful Mail

There's also a SNES game. I have a ROM for it. It's a sort-of sidescrolling RPG thing.

Quote:
- Gunstar Heroes

Gunstar Heroes is unquestionably the single most awesome game ever committed to a Megadrive cartridge. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to not own this game.

Quote:
- Phantasy Star 2

It's the best game in existence. apparently.

Quote:
- Super Mario Bros. 3

Mind you, I think this is possibly the best game in existence. If you've ever picked up a controller, you need to play this game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr. Wendal
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I liked grandia II, course i never played the original though.
Benza
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

Quote:
- Gunstar Heroes

Gunstar Heroes is unquestionably the single most awesome game ever committed to a Megadrive cartridge. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to not own this game.

I actully thought this was a bit to easy. Although if its a choice of this, wich I rekon was a walk over, or Contra 3... wich is like a game made by the devil purley to gagagoogoo piss you off, then I would go Contra 3 Very Happy

Has anyone played Contra 4, I think its on the Mega Drive, you could play as 4 diffrent charecters, a guy, a girl, a robot, and a wolf man, they all get diffrent weapons and ****, and you could be hit 3 times before you die so it wasn't... you know, impossible. It was pretty awsome, plus it didn't have those overhead bits in Contra 3 that gagagoogoo gave me the syphillis.

That and I think Yoshis Island, (I think thats the right one, the one on the SNES) Is the best Mario game ever.
Kloppy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I haven't played Contra 4, but the Contra 3 is indeed a aggressive go-getter. But just because it's harder doesn't mean it's a better game than Gunstar Heroes, which ownz.

Gitaroo Man is a fairly obscure game title -that was actually released here. The only obscure imports I want to hear about are from the UK, so I can play them on my un-chipped console.

Everyone will come to love Monkey Ball when MB: Deluxe comes out.

edit: I love the censorship of [the female dog]... see if you can spot it.
Dreamwalker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:

-
- Shining Force: Excellent games, though number 3 was irritating because I kept dying. I blame the game rather than my crap skills.

How in gods name did you get a copy and which Scenario was it?

Mangaman wrote:

- Grandia: Forget the poxy English-language PSX version where alcohol is 'milk' and the dubbing is deleriously poxy. An incredible achievement on the Saturn, and one I should go and finish!

Unfortunely I only had the poxy English PSX version still great RPG all around.

Mangaman wrote:

- Phantasy Star 2: Best RPG I've ever played. Can't wait for the AGES remake.

This link is your friend http://sega.jp/ps2/ages17/home.html

Mangaman wrote:

- Secret of Mana: The game that convinced me I had to buy a SNES.

Best game on the Snes. Shame Sword of Mana didn't live up to it.

Mangaman wrote:

- Sonic 3 + Knuckles: When connected and played through both titles in their entirety, this is Naka's 2D opus, only ever challenged by NiGHTS. Good memories.

Best Platformer ever, this game was the reason I bought the Sonic Mega Collection for the Cube.

Mangaman wrote:

- Wonderboy 3: The Dragon's Trap: Where this came from I don't know, but it is an incredible piece of 8-bit uberness. Wonderboy in Monster World on the Mega Drive was equally excellent, but I thought I'd mention this one anyway!

Yet a another favourite, my god man you got good taste.
Incredible piece of 8-bit uberness is an understatement I played that game to the back of its teeth (found all the secret doors). And yes Wonderboy in Monster World was its equal.

Sega needs to bring out a Collection bad!!!

Currently Playing: Star Ocean 3 , Chaos Legion
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gunstar Heroes is a gagagoogoo awesome game. How much would would someone be willing to pay for a boxed copy of it?

I have no intention of selling it, but I'm curious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benza
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pokemon, seriously there is a reason why the games are so sucessfull, the gameboy games are awsome Very Happy
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Jeranon wrote:
Did anyone play Shadow Hearts?

I didn't.

I did... ages ago. I rented it.

It was alright-ish, but the judgement wheel annoyed the hell out of me.

Now I've said that, of course, all these weird Shadow Hearts fanboys will come crawling out of the woodwork to explain why its superior to every other RPG battle system ever.

I bought it 2nd hand... sold it 3rd hand Razz While I enjoyed the judgement wheel, the game was obscenely boring. I was ready to slash my wrists by the time I was in the underground temple thing.
Arbron
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, if anyone cares, I've successfully managed to beat Viewtiful Joe with all 4 Characters...

hemp knight wrote:
nintendo makes good games .but they dont do well when it comes to putting them on consoles...diff disc formats..PAL and NTSC probs..

That isn't Nintendo's fault.

Mangaman wrote:
- Panzer Dragoon 2 & Panzer Dragoon Saga

- Parodius

- Super Puzzle Fighter 2X

- Megaman/Rockman X4

- Shining Force

- Virtual On

- Saturn Bomberman

- Final Fight

- Secret of Mana

- Super Mario World

- Super Mario Bros. 3

- Sonic 3 + Knuckles

- Alex Kidd in Shinobi World

How in the Hell would one find those Games "obscure"?

Also, I hated Secret of Mana: and yes, I do realise that I'm probably the only one.
Dreamwalker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been a gamer for 13 years and I've had my fair share of Memorable Titles. So In the sprit of this thread allow to present

MY TOP 5 LISTS

First begining with the Master System

5. Alex Kidd in Miracle World
The first game I ever laid my mittens on (and handy since it was built in). Actually it's still a decent platformer and it"s more hard than todays Platformers. Love the sound effects. It also contained the most memorable opening track (You know how it goes ). Smile

4. Wonderboy in Monster Land
First game we bought and I was the kid who always prefered Swordplay.
Having said that the reason I liked this game cause it was the introduction to the whole killing enemies to earn gold to buy new gear style of play.
Plus the Boss Battles were cool.

3. Golden Axe Warrior
Akin to the gameplay of the first Zelda , but it was great game in its own right.

2. Wonderboy III The Dragon's Trap
Please don't ask me how many times I played this game because I lost count ages ago. Smile
This was the first game I played where instead of a level/stage system was just one big world, Where you could go back and forward. The whole transforming aspect of WBIII was fun (go Piranha Man). Finding all the secrets added more enjoyment to the experience.

1. Phantasy Star
The First RPG I played which started my obsession. Twisted Evil

Yuji Naka created this game before he created a certain Blue furry Hedgehog many have come to love.
This game showcased his vision and artistic talent, with it he created a vibrant Sci-Fi Fantasy Universe that I'll remember forever.

Next post: Nintendo Entertainment System

Mr. Wendal
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ALL OF YOU GO PLAY FLASHBACK. CONRAD NEEDS HIS MEMORY BACK.
Benza
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gai Daigouji wrote:
Well, if anyone cares, I've successfully managed to beat Viewtiful Joe with all 4 Characters...

Wow... I can't even beat it with Joe Very Happy.... wow.....
Dreamwalker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr. Wendal wrote:
ALL OF YOU GO PLAY FLASHBACK. CONRAD NEEDS HIS MEMORY BACK.

I HAVE AND IT ROCKS.

So did Another World, both games were made by the same group.

BGSarevok
Yoriko Nakaido

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wolfgangh wrote:

Genius? Or stealing the setting from Final Fantasy 6 Very Happy

No, it's different. Arcanum doesn't have floating continents and giant pieces of MagiTek armour. Or Espers. Also, Arcanum > FF6, despite FF6 being one my favourite FF and one of my favourite games ever.

And Gai Daigouji, I hated Secret of Mana, too. You're not the only one.

Dreamwalker, you're the new cool guy 'cause you've played Another World. Razz That was a badass game.
Mr. Wendal
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
*ahem*

Like i haven't. I'm cool too right ... did you check out my avatar ...

And its Delphine Software Dreamwalker.
Dreamwalker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr. Wendal wrote:
*ahem*

Like i haven't. I'm cool too right ... did you check out my avatar ...

And its Delphine Software Dreamwalker.

Actually I knew it but forgot how it was spelt so I didn't post it.

The last game they did was Heart of Darkness. It looked stunning but it was too short for my liking.

Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BGSarevok wrote:
Wolfgangh wrote:

Genius? Or stealing the setting from Final Fantasy 6 Very Happy

No, it's different. Arcanum doesn't have floating continents and giant pieces of MagiTek armour. Or Espers. Also, Arcanum > FF6, despite FF6 being one my favourite FF and one of my favourite games ever.

So, by defualt it doesn't have any pink, naked, women then?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Replies!

Stormo: Glad to hear you enjoyed Orta - I think I pulled in a 92+% shot down ration in the hardest mode. I've never spent that much time playing an XBox game before; if Shenmue wasn't stuff and in english, I would have gone nuts on it there as well. Pity Shenmue 3 isn't hitting the console - it and PD: Orta were why I bought the machine with my brother when I was still living at mum and dad's. It now sits at his place and plays Halo 2 often Smile

As for the other stuff, apologies for not mentioning Gradius V - am getting it shortly. Can't wait Smile Good to see you read Insert Credit - that multipage review of PSC was awesome and made me giddy with nostalgia (BTW Dreamwalker - you are a champ for posting that link; I nearly fainted with excitement!). SS4 was a bit odd, but it was the first game I really got into and mastered; mind you, I could only beat the whole game and take down Zankuro (I think that's his name!) with Rimururu and Sougetsu... mind you, it was awesome all the way!

Also good to hear everyone excited over Gunstar Heroes. God I love that game, especially in the uber hard difficulty settings. It's insane!

Dreamwalker: Cheers for the compliment! I have the first scenario of Shining Force, though I was tempted to nab the other two even though they're in Japanese. Then again, I'm not adverse to playing through RPGs in Japanese... in fact, way too much time on my Saturn was spent playing Japanese games... which was a good thing!

Gai: Meh, to each their own. Given some of them are difficult to find (Paroduis, Panzer 2 and Saga, Saturn Bomberman, Final Fight CD, Rockman X4 on the Saturn), some were quite original (Virtual On, Mario 3 and SMW) and some are a bit old (Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Shining Force, Secret of Mana), I knocked them into the list. My apologies for that, but hey, to each their own. My tastes are a bit obscure, so I figured that a number of them weren't mainstream and justified a listing.

I have a cool mecha game on the Saturn somewhere that was cool - you flew around and transformed and blew stuff up. All 3D, with lotsa voice samples and rampant silliness. I'll try and find it - I was calling out various Gekiganger things when I was playing it, to the bemusement of my brothers at the time. Oh, and I have to mention Asuka 120% Limited on the Saturn - simple, but menega 2D fighter; it was apparently a bit crap on the PSX, but I dig the Saturn one. So would Stormo, Jeranon and InGram: the fighting cast are all-female and are various members of high school clubs, like the chemistry club, karate club, cheerleading club, and so on. It's very cute. Maybe I'll use my capture card and upload a movie or if or something.

And yes, Flashback was awesome and deserves two thumbs up.

-Mangaman-
BGSarevok
Yoriko Nakaido

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gouki wrote:

So, by defualt it doesn't have any pink, naked, women then?

Correct. Which is a good or bad thing, depending on opinion. :/ I prefer not to have weird pink naked women running around in games I play. O_o
Mr. Wendal
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Least not in video games anyway.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
Stormo: Glad to hear you enjoyed Orta - I think I pulled in a 92+% shot down ration in the hardest mode. I've never spent that much time playing an XBox game before; if Shenmue wasn't stuff and in english, I would have gone nuts on it there as well. Pity Shenmue 3 isn't hitting the console - it and PD: Orta were why I bought the machine with my brother when I was still living at mum and dad's. It now sits at his place and plays Halo 2 often Smile

Sadly, it appears as though there won't be a Shenmue 3 at all, on any console, ever.

[insert massive Sad icon here.]

Quote:
Oh, and I have to mention Asuka 120% Limited on the Saturn - simple, but menega 2D fighter; it was apparently a bit crap on the PSX, but I dig the Saturn one. So would Stormo, Jeranon and InGram: the fighting cast are all-female and are various members of high school clubs, like the chemistry club, karate club, cheerleading club, and so on. It's very cute. Maybe I'll use my capture card and upload a movie or if or something.

I've been looking into getting an Asuka 120% game. There's a whole series of them on PS1 and Saturn, according to what I've seen. I keep forgetting that my Japanese PS2 is not only capable of playing Japanese PS2 games, but also Japanese PS1 games. I really should pick up a few for it.

If you've got any recommendations about a particular one (Saturn or PS1) to get, do tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirby doesn't get enough love.
stone_monkey
Team Edward FTW!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anybody played Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone on PS2 yet?

I would like to know what it is like for when it comes out on PC next year.
Angel_Cop_Fan
Kuu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
stone_monkey wrote:

I'm getting the game tomorrow, will tell ya how its like.
Armisael
.:Harlot:.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
stone_monkey wrote:

I played it, finished it and returned it in a day.

>.>;
Sad, I know.

I actually enjoyed the game. I like the ability of being able to change between three characters while in the game.

The story line is interesting, but not the best.

If you have played/read any books based upon the D&D world, then you'll love the ability to play Drizzit. ^^ Although his British accent sucks.

Also, when you finish the game or even a level, you unlock little secret things, like profiles on characters, artwork and so forth.

If you take your time with the game, it is fun, but I'd not spend $100 on it.

clem is my movie aggressive go-getter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Angel_Cop_Fan
Kuu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Armisael wrote:
stone_monkey wrote:

I played it, finished it and returned it in a day.

>.>;
Sad, I know.

I actually enjoyed the game. I like the ability of being able to change between three characters while in the game.

The story line is interesting, but not the best.

If you have played/read any books based upon the D&D world, then you'll love the ability to play Drizzit. ^^ Although his British accent sucks.

Also, when you finish the game or even a level, you unlock little secret things, like profiles on characters, artwork and so forth.

If you take your time with the game, it is fun, but I'd not spend $100 on it.

I ordered my for $40+$5 P/H from ebay.
Dreamwalker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
NES Top 5 (note the NES was my least favourite Console)

5. Metal Gear
It had to start somewhere. Nice little action game. But the dialogue was how should I say, limited.
But only made it into no 5 cause there wasn't many games I liked on the NES.

4. Wizards & Warriors 3
Nice side scroller adventure. Best feature of the game was you couldn't progress in some bits until you earn the new class or rank through guild tests.

3. The Legend of Zelda
The main reason I'm a fan of Nintendo.

2.Super Mario Bros 3
Huge Platformer with many worlds and different paths to take.
This game was the blueprint for its successful successor.
No3 made me respect the little fat red Plumber.

1. The Adventures of Link
The much better reason why I'm fan of Nintendo.

NEXT TOP 5 LIST MEGADRIVE (yay the golden age)

StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dreamwalker wrote:
NES Top 5 (note the NES was my least favourite Console)

Interesting. Why is that? (It's not my favourite, either, but I rank it higher than many other consoles I've played.)

Quote:
4. Wizards & Warriors 3

Ironsword was better.

Quote:
2.Super Mario Bros 3

I think you're underselling this game a bit. Remember that it pretty much laid down the template for every platform game that came afterwards. Mario World was just SM3 with the power of a SNES (and not-as-good level design) behind it.

I've always firmly believed that Mario 3 is actually the successor to Mario World, as it advances several of the ideas in the latter game. They were certainly developed in tandem, at least.

Quote:
3. The Legend of Zelda

You're possibly the only person I've ever come across that would order these two games in that way.

For me, AoL is probably the weakest Zelda game (yes, including Wind Waker) ever. It tried too hard to be a "real" RPG, and lost everything that made the original game such a great adventure.

There's a very good reason why A Link To The Past borrows more from LoZ than from AoL.

Personally, though, I think the best Zelda game of all time is Ocarina of Time.

My top 5 NES games would probably look a bit like this...

- Super Mario Bros.
- Metroid
- The Legend of Zelda
- Ninja Gaiden 2
- Super Mario Bros. 3

(In no particular order.)

Oh, and honorable mentions would go to Battletoads (yes, really) and Snake, Rattle'n'Roll (Rare's second-best NES game). Oh, and Megaman 3, which is still the best Megaman game ever.
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shinging Tears is good.

You will buy it. Or so I've been told.
Jeranon
Ryuk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the PC gamers?

I'm looking at the Queen of Saiyan and the Annth of Shin here.
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Battle toads was good fun when it came out. kicking enemy with big feet provided much fun in two player mode. would of been one of the first games to allow simultanious play now wouldn't it.

SMB3 was alot more fun than it's precessors, the racoon suit was original at least. Legend of Zelda was enjoyable, if you were willing to stick with it till then end. Metroid and Ninja Gaidan were ok, i wouldn't rate them as the highest, but they were good titles.

who can remember duck hunt, you know, the good ol nes gun game. i'd play that for a few minutes at a time in breaks between playing super mario. Good ol nes days they were.

Anime News Network Australia
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stormo: Don't know too much about the PS1 games, though I heard the Saturn entries were superior; not surprising if only graphically, given the Saturn is a 2D powerhouse.

Anywho, I have Asuka 120% Burning Fest. Limited, and it is brill. I'll take a capture of some footage and upload it - you'll laugh when you see the cheer-leader pull off a 20-something hit combo, and one of the girls whose super move is an army of frogs. Easy to get into and with an excellent combo engine - it only uses three buttons (punch, kick and heavy attack [mind you it's merely a shortcut button for pressing punch+kick simultaneously]) but is great fun. A very uber game Very Happy

As for Shenmue 3 - I thought it was still in production, albeit seriously delayed, for release on the next XBox (mind you I'd rather see it on PS3 or the Revolution)... if it has been uber canned, I think I'll cry. Shenmue was/is uber golden and fab. Particularly when it doesn't suffer from a crappy English dub Wink

-Mangaman-
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
Stormo: Don't know too much about the PS1 games, though I heard the Saturn entries were superior; not surprising if only graphically, given the Saturn is a 2D powerhouse.

I assume you're referring to 2D fighters here. I had SFA2 on Saturn and it was a gorgeous game in its day.

Mangaman wrote:
As for Shenmue 3 - I thought it was still in production, albeit seriously delayed, for release on the next XBox (mind you I'd rather see it on PS3 or the Revolution)... if it has been uber canned, I think I'll cry. Shenmue was/is uber golden and fab. Particularly when it doesn't suffer from a crappy English dub Wink

I sure hope it's still in production, I'd love to play more Shenmue [finished both of the previous games]. May I ask what the Revolution is though?
Armisael
.:Harlot:.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Angel_Cop_Fan wrote:
Armisael wrote:
stone_monkey wrote:
Stuff.

More stuff.

I ordered my for $40+$5 P/H from ebay.

Very nice.

As I said, good to play though a couple of times, but that's it.

Now, I go to play Ico.

Oh, by the by, anyone who hasen't played Project Zero (Fatal Frame) II, should do so.

God I love suspence horror.

clem is my movie aggressive go-getter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr. Wendal
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Dreamwalker wrote:
3. The Legend of Zelda

You're possibly the only person I've ever come across that would order these two games in that way.

Meet another one!

Disclaimer: AOL was the first videogame i ever owned, on the first system i ever owned, and thus has HUGE sentimental value.
And to this day i have never really played the first game, and never will.
BGSarevok
Yoriko Nakaido

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Jeranon wrote:

Where are the PC gamers?

Over here. Want me to mention Torment? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
Anywho, I have Asuka 120% Burning Fest. Limited, and it is brill.

Burning Fest is the one I want most, simply because its where Insertcredit's general discussion forum gets its name from.

(Although I think they use Maxima, not Limited).

Quote:

Start crying then. Yu Suzuki all but confirmed it in an interview last year when someone asked him when the game was going to be finished. He apparently responded by slowly shaking his head and saying "not in the foreseeable future".

There is no justice. Sad

(Incidentally, my iPod chose to play Jeff Buckley's "The Last Goodbye" as I wrote that...)

Kero-chan wrote:
I assume you're referring to 2D fighters here.

Specifically the Asuka 120% games.

Last edited by StorminNorman on Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
winged_seraphim
Melfina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Snake Rattle and Roll , and Battletoads were the two best games for NES. Mario 1 comes in close, as does Legend of Zelda, and Wizards and Warriors 3, and Streetfighter 2.
Benza
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dungeon Keeper 2, The Dungeon Keeper in a highly underated game, the second one was better then the first one cause it was cool Very Happy (And it had the fallen angels Very Happy) The end of number 2 hinted towards a third one, but then I think Bullfrong died... Sad

Also Quadnet. Its the same basic concept that Robotron had (The shooting in any direction regardless of what direction your facing thing) Except I don't know I always found Quadnet more addictive, that and its freeware Very Happy
Download it here I strongly recomend it to anyone that likes mindless action Very Happy[/url]
Jeranon
Ryuk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
BGSarevok wrote:
Jeranon wrote:

Where are the PC gamers?

Over here. Want me to mention Torment? Razz

Nah, I already did that.

Right now, I'm trying to think up titles between the introduction of VGA but before Wolfenstein 3D (circa 90-94) that were... well... underdogs... Razz
Spite
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
- Virtual On: It's like the penultimate mecha game.

- Super Mario World: No matter how often I play it, it never gets old. Genius.

- Super Mario Bros. 3: Penultimate 8-bit Mario.

- Alex Kidd in Shinobi World: Best SMS game ever, next to...

Hell yeah, dude you've got good taste in games. Very Happy I love Virtual On!

Donkey kong County 1-3 - They're still fun to play, but the first and second are a bit outdated now while the third stands out the most.

klonoa series - Simple, and a bit easy, but if you can appreciate fun old School platforming then you should like this. There's quite a few on the GBA, but my favorite would be klonoa 2 on the PS2. And klonoa looks a bit like Sonic. Very Happy

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - It's in the same style as Paper Mario, RPG-ness. But it's just so gagagoogoo hilarious! Luigi is the butt of all the jokes, I like how Bowser called him "that other Mario brother guy". It's good for a laugh.

Warioware inc (GBA) - A series of mini-games that only last 3 seconds, it's strangely compelling though. One mini-game has you trying to pick your nose! Shocked

Lylat Wars - Star Fox 64 with a crappy title, but this game rules! Can't wait for to play the arcade game.

Shenmue 1 & 2 - Play it before you die, or else you never lived at all.

Tetris - yes, Tetris. It's old, has had thousands of different reincarnations, but the original is still the best. Keep stacking them towers!

NiGHTS into Dreams - Sonic Teams best effort, made it worthwhile getting the Sega Saturn in the first place.

Cool
Benza
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spite wrote:

Lylat Wars - Star Fox 64 with a crappy title, but this game rules! Can't wait for to play the arcade game.

My god I have played that game so many times I know every single bit of dialouge Very Happy What arcade game though? Do you mean Starfox Assult?
RoninAquila
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="Spite"]
Mangaman wrote:

Donkey kong County 1-3 - They're still fun to play, but the first and second are a bit outdated now while the third stands out the most.

Though I must say, atmosphere wise, Number 2 had the best one for an epic, heroic adventure. Wink

Baby You Ain't Woman Enough To Take My Man!!

-Elliot from Be Cool.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDK2 is a must-play for Dreamcast owners or those who enjoy a challenging game.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
(cut and pasted from tamaboards)

I got Kaido Battle 2 and GTA:SA the other day.

KB2 = GT drifting made AWESOME. This is the BEST mountain racing sim bar none. It leaves rubbish like auto modelista unable to walk for a week, that's how much it pwns. The only, ONLY problem with it is the fact that all the story (which is all messageboard/email based) is in Japanese... all the game menus are english though. You just have to experiment a bit to get everything right.

My cars so far are my starter car, a Toyota Starlet Turbo (awesome for drifting with the handbrake in the wet Razz), and an S13 Silvia K's (sooo awesome to drive, it drifts without needing the handbrake at all, easy to switch between grip and drift). I'm saving up for the bodykit on the Silvia now XD

The weather is so cool. There is day and night racing (day for your proper job {which seems to be drifting for photographers XD}, and night for street racing), and then there is weather... clear sky, cloudy, raining, storm, snow, and snow storm. Haven't had the snow ones yet, but OMFG the storm is so cool, it's absolutely awesome drifting during a typhoon XD the car reacts to each weather situtation perfectly (the ride is really unstable in a storm, and the car slides in the wet much easier etc).

There are heaps of battle types as well. Time Attack, Spirit Battle (borrowed from its sister games TXR/Wangan Midnight Racing where you have 'health' bars for the cars that go down if you're behind your opponent), CP battles (dunno what the CP stands for but it's basically a show-off drifting event), and the cool bumper-to-bumper battle from ID (I don't know what it's actually called, it is where if you fall behind a certain distance you lose).

Oh, and do I need to mention it features Akina, Akagi AND Irohazaka? Mr. Green
Dreamwalker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Spite wrote:

NiGHTS into Dreams - Sonic Teams best effort, made it worthwhile getting the Sega Saturn in the first place.

Especially if you played it with that funky control pad it came with it.

Dreamwalker
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MEGADRIVE TOP 5

5. Story of Thor
One of the first 24bit carts for the Megadrive. The Graphics and animation were top notch, the controls were very authentic (damn good considering it was Megadrive) and it had a descent story too.
The spirts were the trademark for this game (and the sequel) which were full of character (bow was damn funny but Shade was my favourite).

4. Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Not just Sonic 3, not just Sonic & Knuckles but both locked on became
in this gamer's opinion the greatest Platformer ever made.
The main reasons why this so damn cool , The Save feature integrated into the S&K zones,Tails could journey through the S&K zones, Knuckles could begin where Sonic 3 took off and not only that the stage outline for all S3 zones changed making way for a new experience, 7 Emeralds and 7 Super Emeralds were up for grabs in which Tails could become Super and S&K become Hyper (although the greatest draw back was that it became too damn easy). Very Happy

3. Landstalker

I'm the biggest idiot for letting this masterpiece go( I was young but if I could go back in time I would have smacked some sense into me).
If Sega would have marketed this well it could of stand up to the likes of Zelda. For anyone who like hard action games with gnaw biting puzzles this was your game.

2. Shining Force 2

I had no idea what I was getting into playing this. The Story was brilliant absolutely brilliant (Like Wonderboy 3 I've lost count ages ago). Also contained some of the best villains in a game, before the time of Sephiroth.
Best Strategy/RPG ever made (FFTactics could never measure up to the likes of SF2).

1. Phantasy Star 4 (End of the Millennium)

Surprise Surprise Smile

Basically the game took what was best from 1,2 and 3 created a thing of beauty.
This was practically the last game on the megadrive and it went out on a big bang.

I never thought at time nothing could beat Shining Force 2 storywise but I was wrong so very very wrong.

Sometimes I wonder what was better PS4 or FF7.......

NEXT UP SNES

Lain|v2
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am playing Breakout ATM. Its free simple to play and fun.

Page 2 of 341

Jump to: