Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The Gundam Modelling Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
The Gundam Modelling Thread
Author
Koishi Herikawa

Location: Central Coast (the place being slowly devoured by the hole known as Sydney which I escaped from)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
sonar wrote:
[..]

The clear blue things? I think it's you ^^; The kit only came with the four, but I made two and didn't use them on the first one, so that gives me an idea... Twisted Evil

Which still leaves you one short Razz
sonar
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Math... Overload... Brains... Melting.... ARGH!

A train leaves Pittsburgh....

What do you mean mate? It's probably not obvious because of my very poor lighting and even poorer choice of background colour, but the one with the Naginata's (?) has four of the Shiranui Guns deployed, which is the maximum a single kit provides for. I have four more clear blue bits because I didn't use them on the kit with the double beam rifles.

The Shiranui gun pack on this kit does three things:
1. Nothing - just looks cool (This is what the double rifle one is doing)
2. Deploys x 4 (The other one)
3. All folds in and then up over the shoulders as a cannon either side of the head.

Please excuse my lack of official terms.

I haven't seen all of GSD so I don't know exactly what the MS does on screen, but it isn't possible to deploy all 7 Shiranui guns on the kit as two attach to the back of the pack vertically. I could maybe deploy one more, the one that points down and back.

Or have I just completely missed the joke? Embarassed
D_Scythe888
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey everybody, im new to the gundam forum i just got back into gundam models and i have a 1/100 destiny gundam, was thinking about getting a 1/100 deathscythe hell custom and a 1/100 nataku, can anybody tell me if theyre any good? Smile
trapjaw
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
First of i have seen some awesome looking Gundam. Please could someone please tell me where i can get fine black Gundam markers and paint pens in Sydney ?. Modelers World in China Town has been out for months ?.
sonar
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
D_Scythe888 wrote:
Hey everybody, im new to the gundam forum i just got back into gundam models and i have a 1/100 destiny gundam, was thinking about getting a 1/100 deathscythe hell custom and a 1/100 nataku, can anybody tell me if theyre any good? Smile

Hi D_Scythe and welcome. Thanks for signing up over at GAF too!

I notice you're on the Gold Coast. Me too.

In answer to your question, I'm guessing you like the Deathscythe alot, so the 1/100 wouldn't be a bad purchase if this is the one you mean. Having said that, I bought the Heavyarms Custom from the same line and whilst it finished up ok it is pretty average by today's standard of HG kits. Colour accuracy is an issue (crappy stickers for some parts) and poseability is an issue as well. I'm not unhappy with my HAC and I don't regret buying it, but I've definitely built nicer kits. You will also find that the finished kit will be smaller than you expected if you've built/seen other 1/100 scale Gundam before from other series as the mechs in Gundam Wing were generally smaller than the mechs from UC or CE.

As I say, if you're a fan of the Gundam Wing mecha you won't be too disappointed.

Nataku is part of the same series too, so above applies. Both kits are pretty cheap at about 2000 and 1260 respectively, but you'll get stung on the exchange rate at the moment as your AUD will only buy you about 65. Ouch.
sonar
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
trapjaw wrote:
First of i have seen some awesome looking Gundam. Please could someone please tell me where i can get fine black Gundam markers and paint pens in Sydney ?. Modelers World in China Town has been out for months ?.

Hi Trapjaw,

Have you tried Hobbyco in the QVB?

Gundam markers are not the be all and end all in my experience anyway. The ink is fairly thin and the tips wear out quickly, although it can be tough to find pens with the right kind of ink and a fine enough tip in your local newsagent. They are ideally suited to Gundam kits, but there are alternatives.....

I've used Artline Superfine 0.2 size pens before but the ink is all wrong, it beads and takes ages to dry. good size though.

I picked up a Uni brand pen in a newsagent recently called a Uni Pin with a 0.1 tip but I'm yet to try it on white plastic to see how the ink goes.

The best compromise I've found so far is a Sharpie CD/DVD Marker from Woolies. It's 0.3mm one end and 1mm on the other, so you can do semi-fine work with the small end and colour blocks like eye panels with the big end. The small end does not get into super fine areas, but the ink is good. It's thick, dries really fast, but can be tougher to clean up mistakes. It will also mark on metallic finish kits where other pens will not. You want the CD/DVD marker and not the permanent marker that looks the same though. The ink is different.

Hope this helps ^^
D_Scythe888
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeh i ordered that one, it said low stock but now its backordered Crying or Very sad and yeh that exchange rate sucks right now but... u kno...i want that gundam! lol. Wink
Bowspearer
Koishi Herikawa

Location: Central Coast (the place being slowly devoured by the hole known as Sydney which I escaped from)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
sonar wrote:
Math... Overload... Brains... Melting.... ARGH!

A train leaves Pittsburgh....

What do you mean mate? It's probably not obvious because of my very poor lighting and even poorer choice of background colour, but the one with the Naginata's (?) has four of the Shiranui Guns deployed, which is the maximum a single kit provides for. I have four more clear blue bits because I didn't use them on the kit with the double beam rifles.

The Shiranui gun pack on this kit does three things:
1. Nothing - just looks cool (This is what the double rifle one is doing)
2. Deploys x 4 (The other one)
3. All folds in and then up over the shoulders as a cannon either side of the head.

Please excuse my lack of official terms.

I haven't seen all of GSD so I don't know exactly what the MS does on screen, but it isn't possible to deploy all 7 Shiranui guns on the kit as two attach to the back of the pack vertically. I could maybe deploy one more, the one that points down and back.

Or have I just completely missed the joke? Embarassed

Nope, I thought that as all of them were detachable, there might have been mounting options. I guess it's another kit that really needs to wait for the master grade treatment in order to be done right.
amuro_rey
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
still long way to go before they are completed~ -__-;
but wanted to whether they are on the right path according to my concepts before these are put back into the box for the more touch up & make up(?).....

*Need to scratchbuild the BiT again at much bigger size since it's around 8m long compared to 18m MS...

*Need to tweak the arm position and rebuild Gouf foot plus the better base - like that Texas Colony setting in the original TV anime...

phew~~~

Last edited by amuro_rey on Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been thinking about getting a new Freedom kit lately, so I can fix up the slightly broken clip for the shield holder.
And maybe do another set of the hip mounted rail guns.

On other hand for a new model want to do, would be the Impulse when I get around to that.
Malicious_Ninja
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strike Agis and Geloog Main

Justice under construction
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought you posted them before didn't you?
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought a Zaku II Char custom at manifest.

Now I just have to build it
sonar
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great to see some new posts in this thread and some new interest in gunpla!
amuro_rey
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Z'Gok-E pilot: 'Take that~!'
GM pilot: 'Cr@p~~'

sonar
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The sense of motion in your Diao's is always spectacular. *tips hat
Wolfman_187
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More here : http://www.ghostofzeon.com/complete/sdstargazer/gallery/index.html
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey guys, im only just getting in to building gundam models and would like some advice.
I've built my first model mg ms-o6f zaku 2, now the model looks good but i havent painted or inked it yet(are the the words you use) wat are the best ways to start off?
Is airbrushing as easy as the videos on youtube make it,or should i stick to hand painting to start with, if so where can i get gundam colour paints?

Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
Shinji 3.141
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
using an Airbrush is the best way but brush painting still works, both (especially the airbrush) require some skill so practising on the renaming parts of the Runner (as well as paper for the airbrush)

you can usuey find all the paints and Gundam markers at any decent model shop.

Play Star Trek Online or Star Citizen? The Ausmonauts!
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
at my local they only have tamiya paint.
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Airbrushing basic colours on Gundam kits is easy. They are essentially big areas of one colour which makes it much harder to hand paint as it takes a lot of skill to hand paint and not have brush strokes.

I generally use Tamiya paints for my airbrushing and the only real trick is to make sure you thin the paint correctly with Tamiya thinner at a ratio of either 1 part thinner to 4 part paint or 1 part thinner to 2 part paint depending on the paint (some paints can be thinner out of the jar than others you see).

It takes some practice, but air brushing is simple.
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
so if i was to get a compressor would a sparmax ac 100 be ok to start with or something different.
also wats the best wy to get ride of small gap between joining pieces,one video should glue then sanding it back.
Shinji 3.141
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the glue is a special modelling cement, you pout it on both pieces that need to be pout together with slightly melts the plastic and causes them to fuse like one when there pressed together; you then sand it back with extremely fine sand paper (sold at modelling shops) and then paint.

If doen properly (and it isn't too difficult to do) there will be no detectable seem
Smile

Oh and like Majin Cell said Tamiya paint works well, though if you're painting something you need to leave semi transparent (like a visor or sensor window) you should use a thinned clear colour (ie: clear red)

I don't know too much about the different compressor models though.

Play Star Trek Online or Star Citizen? The Ausmonauts!
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
coldfire wrote:
so if i was to get a compressor would a sparmax ac 100 be ok to start with or something different.
also wats the best wy to get ride of small gap between joining pieces,one video should glue then sanding it back.

That compressor is very similar to mine and, while mine is getting old now, it works fine for air brushing Gundams.

Here's a link to a tutorial on my website that I wrote about the art of seam line removal :

http://www.ghostofzeon.com/diy/seams/seamremoval.html

Hope this helps.
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks majin and shinji
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
just lay-byed a sparmax ac-1000 and a sparmax dh-103 airbrush, cant wait to pay off and start practicing.
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
me again, anyone have any idea what type of model these are, other then the sniper zaku.

coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
just finished painting and putting the decals on my dom.
stuffed up the torso, i was using tape to hold the decals down but when i pulled the tape off part of another one came off, but looking at it makes it look worn.
might repaint it.

Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Looking good there Coldfire. I can still see a few seams, but it looks like you are getting there.

Instead of the stickers, maybe consider investing in water slide decals. They aren't has hard as they look to apply. Some water, a decal setter, a model with a decent gloss coat, and some patience.

Trust me when I say it will make the world of difference.
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i didnt do any seam work on this one, where do u get water decals?
reckon i should repaint the torso bit?
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use Hobby Search for most of my Gunpla stuff.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng

I reckon you should go the whole hog and paint everything. There is only one way to learn and that is to do it.
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Didnt know they had decals, i use that site all the time.
i was thinking of just staying the same colour scheme for the rest of the model or would the whole thing in blue look weird?
next question i made a gouf custom the other day and was guna paint it with the gouf paints i got for it, now like with the dom should i undercoat it white or just paint it as is?
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are going to paint it all blue, then use different shades for different parts.

If you want to find matching colours, use this site to give you some complimenting colours : http://www.colorblender.com/.

Just put in the colour you want and it will find matching ones for you.

I prime my kits using a primer designed for model kits (Tamiya brand which is a lacquer), but if you sand back the plastic a little, you can get away with not needing to prime. I find priming to be best though as not only does it give the paint something to grip to, but it makes the kit colour uniform which keeps the plastic colour from effecting the top coat.
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i already have the custom gouf colours i bought them as a set when i got the model off hlj.com.
i just used white knight paint primer for the dom and it came out fine.
sonar
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice work coldfire.
TidalWave_Jeannette
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would it be possible to put sponsors' logos on the Gundams? Also, have you tried making a custom Gundam model, using stuff from different Gundam models?

BTW, have you ever painted your Gundam models the colours of your favorite sports team or car? (Oh and why hasn't someone responded to this thread in a long time?)

Page 10 of 10

Jump to: