Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The Coronavirus and Work Situation thread

The Coronavirus and Work Situation thread
Author
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: The Coronavirus and Work Situation thread Reply with quote
With the Coronavirus spreading like wildfire across the globe, people's lives and livelihoods are being put at risk or have been hit hard by it.

This thread is for discussion on our situations and maybe Slykura or someone from MM can tell us the company position.

For me, I'm on enforced leave and on worker's comp atm, so I'm getting paid. I'm full time in hotels and most are either shut down or open in a very limited capacity. Once I recover and get clearance, I'll most likely have to use my long service leave unless I get moved to one of the few hotels in Sydney that are still operating.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was due to arrive in Japan for a three week holiday on 19 March, but cancelled two weeks prior. So I decided to still take my four weeks holiday in order to go up to Sydney to get my new car (my old Mazda 2 way a write off from the hailstorm on 20 January) and do a few other things.

So apparently my workplace is an essential service so we'll keep working. They have a two tier plan; half work on one floor and the other on a second floor. Second is to work from home. Which mostly everyone can do. The issue seems to be to access the program to do our main payroll work, we have to go though a VPN. So it's going through a VPN to access a second VPN to access the payroll program. From what I understand this makes it dead slow. We already are understaffed to buggery due to cuts to the public service and barely hitting our KPIs before COVID-19.

Secondly we are due to go to a new payroll system on 1 July (holy bloody moley). So testing has gone exceedingly well, but they still need to build some budgeting add on's so we can do our work properly and they weren't finished when I went on leave. We also need training. Apparently they're looking at pushing the new system back, maybe to 2021. This is going to be freaking disastrous for end of financial year stuff.

I think we're in a much better position than others (well, we have jobs at least). But its going to be really difficult. A lot of people are going to lose their jobs. A fair amount of people are going to die. People seemed to bit more on edge this morning I noticed. Government isn't really helping with mixed and confused messaging and astonishingly no clear and targeted health campaign, which baffles me.

Dunno what is going to happen with Madman. They have the streaming stuff, but of course they can't do any of their cinema releases for god knows how long. With physical releases, if Sanity and JB Hi-Fi can't open, they can't sell them. Plus you have the logistics of getting the discs from the US as most of them are Funimation discs. If the US/Mexico border closes or pressing plants in Mexico shut down. Funimation won't get their discs, so Madman wont get theirs.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep. Ever since the mass job losses due to coronavirus, people's attention has really shifted from buying a DVD and Blu-ray and other items to medical, food and drink items on top of cutting their expenditure.

It's why I'm wanting to know MM"s current and future directions due to a once in a century catastrophe. Or is it going to happen again, but with another virus within a decade or so?

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last last week and into this week, the Right Stuf has hammered me with emails for deals and just to buy stuff, so I think they and other online retailers thought that could just keep going they way they were previously, or hoped they could. I was going to do a quick order with CD Japan to get the Japanese version of the latest Grimes album (because it's got an extra track) plus the Perfume compilation album that I put off getting and a couple of BDs, but I was wondering if it would be delivered.

I really fear this will wipe out a lot of entertainment industries. Bands can't play in venues, no one can go to plays or musicals, cinemas etc. We'll see what happens.

COVID-19 is really different to SARS or MERS because it's highly infectious, as far as I can figure out. This seems to be a bit of an anomaly. Think it's really hit me today as to how bad it's going to be. Going a bit stir crazy at home though. I'm usually hermit-like, but now I can't even go to the cinema or the mall.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
One of my favourite bands has had to cancel huge concerts due to the coronavirus. Serenity took a bit hit due to it.

If you want to help support an Australian band during this difficult period, go buy the Toehider albums. They're putting a new one out later this year and the lead singer Mike Mill's has been one of the vocalists that Ayreon creator Arjen Anthony Lucassen turns to for the last few albums.

The entertainment industry will definitely take a huge hit especially the live venue ones. That does include the theatre productions.

strideryb
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My small company is linked to the Oil and Gas industry, so the Oil price tanking has been a double whammy with the COVID-19.
From what I gather, the oil price plunging has caused most new development work in the industry to be put on hold. Companies are just spending money on maintenance and day to day operations.
From the tone of management emails, the Oil price has been the worst part, COVID-19 is just icing on the cake.

So personally, I'm working full time from home due to COVID-19, but reduced pay hours due to Oil price plunge.
This applies to everyone - from directors, to managers, to peons (me). I'm sure the second in command has gone grey in the last 3 weeks.

So I'm one of the lucky ones still with a job - awful to have worked in Entertainment / Tourism / Hospitality.

Greoboruri wrote:
People seemed to bit more on edge this morning I noticed. Government isn't really helping with mixed and confused messaging and astonishingly no clear and targeted health campaign, which baffles me.

Totally - and their very mixed messaging on school attendance really got a lot of my friends worried and confused. Governments should be trying to calm people - not add to the anxiety.
Plus that they didn't seem to anticipate the demand on Centrelink last Monday doesn't inspire confidence. After they basically fired a load of people by closing down their workplaces on the weekend, they were caught out by the demand on Centrelink App / Website which went down. Initially the minister tried to claim it was a malicious DDOS attack. Then had to turn around and admit it was just the hundred thousand (plus?) people that lost their jobs on the weekend.

I last got the train 2 weeks ago, but could feel the nervousness in the air then. Imagine way worse now.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
We're monitoring the situation closely, but for our home video business and animelab it's business as usual (whatever that means now). New shows are still being added, we are continuing with our releases. Stores such as JB / Sanity and our own warehouse and selected indie stores are still open physically or moved fully to an online operation. As it stands this has not changed.

Should there be any delays in products or shows coming out the best place to follow is our social media channels.

We've all moved to a work from home situation and have been for weeks.
Whilst our Theatrical and Events businesses are affected at the moment, we are still working to be as prepared as possible so that we can restart when we get the go ahead. Our staff luckily works across multiple parts of the business so there is no need to worry about us at all. We are in a great position.

If anything this has given us a bit of an opportunity to clean up some back of house stuff that's been lingering for a while. But yes, we are all ok
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm still working, but there may be difficulties with dealing with the consequences of everything going on for several months.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
I was going to do a quick order with CD Japan to get the Japanese version of the latest Grimes album (because it's got an extra track) plus the Perfume compilation album that I put off getting and a couple of BDs, but I was wondering if it would be delivered.

The package seemed to make a trip from Shizuoka to Chubu Centrair International Airport, then looks like it's going to make the trip back to Neowing/CD Japan in Shizuoka... So don't bother ordering anything via EMS I guess. So maybe I can get it sent via FedEx or DHL??? Package from the Right Stuf arrived yesterday. Dunno how long that'll keep happening though.
Sylontack
Belldandy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
The package seemed to make a trip from Shizuoka to Chubu Centrair International Airport, then looks like it's going to make the trip back to Neowing/CD Japan in Shizuoka... So don't bother ordering anything via EMS I guess. So maybe I can get it sent via FedEx or DHL??? Package from the Right Stuf arrived yesterday. Dunno how long that'll keep happening though.

Strange, I thought they were only rejecting SAL at this stage.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
Strange, I thought they were only rejecting SAL at this stage.

So did I. I'm assuming EMS is sent via commercial passenger flights rather than a dedicated freight flight, hence why it didn't get shipped.
IForgotMyUsername
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Japan Post cancelled all air shipments to Australia, so SAL, Airmail and EMS are not available to us. Surface mail is, though that obviously takes ages.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
[..]

The package seemed to make a trip from Shizuoka to Chubu Centrair International Airport, then looks like it's going to make the trip back to Neowing/CD Japan in Shizuoka... So don't bother ordering anything via EMS I guess. So maybe I can get it sent via FedEx or DHL???

I received a "Returned to sender" message dated 10 April 2020 (but without a time) in the tracking information from Japan Post for my EMS package from CD Japan / Neowing, but it hasn't arrived back yet.

I might have to ask DHL and/or FedEx if they have a pickup centre in Adelaide removed from Adelaide Airport (which is still classed as a higher risk location for COVID-19 according to my work).
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for that update Slykura. It's good to know how MM is coping and adapting to the changes caused by coronavirus.

Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hope all the oldskool cats used to post on this board are ok... wherever you all are. Wash your hands and keep away from those catgirls.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
Hope all the oldskool cats used to post on this board are ok... wherever you all are. Wash your hands and keep away from those catgirls.

🤣🤣

Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Late to this thread but as you can see we've been operating as business as usual. This situation hasn't affected the distribution side of the business too much the only thing it's really affected are theatrical releases and Anime Festival (Of which we have cancelled our events for this year and hope to come back in 2021).

Our team is safe and doing well and have all transitioned to working from home fairly smoothly.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
Late to this thread but as you can see we've been operating as business as usual. This situation hasn't affected the distribution side of the business too much the only thing it's really affected are theatrical releases and Anime Festival (Of which we have cancelled our events for this year and hope to come back in 2021).

Our team is safe and doing well and have all transitioned to working from home fairly smoothly.

Glad to hear that you are all OK.

Hopefully Japan will be safely open to visitors again sometime.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: