Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Kenji Kawai

Kenji Kawai
Author
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Kenji Kawai Reply with quote
Well, since we've got a thread on Joe Hisaishi. I might as well start one for Kenji Kawai, because I absolutely love his music.

The music in (all of) Patlabor is so upbeat. His music has some sort of "techno" feel to it, yet it sounds "classical". He is on top of my list of accompished composer alongside John Williams.

He has also done the music for Ghost in the Shell movies (Not sure about SAC), Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Vampire Princess Miyu, as well as Ring and Avalon.

Go on, touch me. You know you want it.
Latest games sales figures, plus new, weird and cheap games.
aimlesswanderer
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
His best work by far is the excellent Avalon soundtrack - I didn't think he could do classical, and I must admit I was very surprised at how good it was. He's composed the music for piles of anime, but Avalon is the only one which made an impression on me.
Anamnesis
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I too am a huge fan of the Avalon soundtrack especially the Log On track, but the GiTS Innocence OST is also very high on my list of favourites! Of particular interest is the use of vocals on both soundtracks. One choral, the other almost tribal.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenji Kawai Reply with quote
Chocobahn wrote:
He has also done the music for Ghost in the Shell movies (Not sure about SAC)

SAC is Youko Kanno.

Kenji Kawai does... very distinctive soundtracks. It's the violins, I think.
Remxi
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I love his music. His soundtracks that were composed for Mamoru Oshii's films fit the style of the film perfectly.
Mobe1969
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Kenji Kawai Reply with quote
Chocobahn wrote:
Well, since we've got a thread on Joe Hisaishi. I might as well start one for Kenji Kawai, because I absolutely love his music.

The music in (all of) Patlabor is so upbeat. His music has some sort of "techno" feel to it, yet it sounds "classical". He is on top of my list of accompished composer alongside John Williams.

He has also done the music for Ghost in the Shell movies (Not sure about SAC), Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Vampire Princess Miyu, as well as Ring and Avalon.

Yoko Kanno (another awesome composer) did SAC.

Yeah, the Patlabor music is great. I have a huge collection of Patlabor soundtracks (including a 6.5 disc box set from the TV and New OVA series).

I love how it evolved over the duration, from techno to the beautiful orchestral masterpiece of the Patlabor WXIII soundtrack.

I love his horror OSTs too, like the Ring films, Rinne, Yogen.

The Ghost in the Shell movie OSTs - awesome.

I'm not sure what my overall favourite is. It is a hard choice between the Stray Dogs OST and Patlabor WXIII.

I wish I could find a copy of the Patlabor 1 Sound Renewal OST. It is impossible to get. Impossible.
u523
Kuu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
aimlesswanderer wrote:
His best work by far is the excellent Avalon soundtrack - I didn't think he could do classical, and I must admit I was very surprised at how good it was. He's composed the music for piles of anime, but Avalon is the only one which made an impression on me.

I have a copy of the Ghost In The Shell: Innocence soundtrack and love it. Must check out the Avalon soundtrack.

Any more recent Kenji Kawai recommendations?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: