Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Request: Fun anime gems from 10-20 years ago

Request: Fun anime gems from 10-20 years ago
Author
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Request: Fun anime gems from 10-20 years ago Reply with quote
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls,

I'm looking for some help.

I've started watching Saber Marionette J and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. A lot of my all-time favorite anime are, I think, in a similar style to SMJ. Some examples of shows I would group together with it are:
  • Tenchi Muyo OVA
  • Nuku Nuku
  • Dirty Pair
  • Ah! My Goddess OVA
  • Devil Hunter Yohko
  • Golden Boy
  • Gunsmith Cats
  • Project A-ko
  • Slayers
  • You're Under Arrest (maybe)
I'm not sure exactly what criteria these all meet, but I'd posit that it's something like:
  • Light-hearted approach, nothing dark, gruesome, depressing or hugely cerebral.
  • Sense of fun which includes the viewer.
  • Feeling the shows were made with love and care.
  • Old-style sexy fanservice with some T&A, but none of the modern fetish creepy obsessive otaku weirdness you get thesedays[1].
  • Made from around 1985 to 1995[2].
  • Not designed just to sell toys or DVDs or full-length body pillows for lonely frottage action.
Obviously, I want more, and given that I only just discovered SMJ I figure there must be more of these gems I've overlooked.

What else might I like in a similar style? Help me Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

- mib

[1] I really don't like the modern approach to (sexy) fanservice. It's just somehow vaguely creepy now, lots of lolicon, maids, fetish, etc. It just feels more "dirty" somehow.

[2] I say 1995 because the first show I thought of and (although I like it) discarded as being part of the modern style was Magic User's Club from 1996. Yes, I do realise SMJ is also from 1996.
ii_desu
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, some of this might be a bit obscure:
El-Hazard
Gunbuster (original)
Moldiver
Dangaio
Pandora
Legend of Leda
Urusei Yatsura
Lost Universe
Magic Knight Rayearth

Maaaaybe at a stretch:
City Hunter
Compiler
Birdy the Mighty
Gall Force
Orguss 1 & 2
Fushigi Yugi
Kotetsu

Not sure if that's on the right track but I tried to stay away from anything to brutal. Some of the above are good, some bad, just had to stretch a bit to not select the usual suspects too much.

Some of them might be a bit too modern but aren't exceptionally out there, though I think you're really pushing a long way back at 20 years, much of the stuff then has pretty poor production values compared to today, say like Irresponsible Captain Tylor as a good example.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lupin series!!! Mr. Green

(p.s. I'd love ot see a local release here)
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ii_desu, thanks very much for the suggestions! Here's some comments, please don't take it as criticism!

• El-Hazard
    - this might be a good one actually.

• Gall Force
    - another one I'll look into closely!

• Gunbuster (original)
    - seen it, didn't like it, but it is in the right style.

• Moldiver
    Dangaio
    Pandora
    Legend of Leda
    City Hunter
    Compiler
    Birdy the Mighty
    Orguss 1 & 2
    Kotetsu
    - never heard (much) of any of these, I'll have to do some research.

• Urusei Yatsura
    - Great show, very funny. One day if I have too much money I'll definitely get it. I'm planning to get Maison Ikkoku first once it's all out.

• Lost Universe
    - doesn't seem to get good reviews, would you recommend it?

• Magic Knight Rayearth
    Fushigi Yugi
    - don't really like Rayearth. It seems a lot more like a girls' series to me, all bishounen and angsty. Haven't seen Fushigi Yugi but I have the same reservations. Might be worth checking into if it's gotten cheaper.

Quote:
just had to stretch a bit to not select the usual suspects too much.

Feel free to mention the usual suspects. They might not be usual to me, and I'd much rather have a complete list than miss something.

Quote:
much of the stuff then has pretty poor production values compared to today, say like Irresponsible Captain Tylor as a good example.

To some extent, production values don't worry me too much. I even find the modern production values perhaps a little too slick. I'm happy to watch 70s series even, though I don't think they fit what i'm looking for here.

- mib
RocketJess
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mib wrote:
[*]Lost Universe
- doesn't seem to get good reviews, would you recommend it?

If you liked Slayers, you'll like Lost Universe. It's made by the same people.
MEW49
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would have said El Hazard or Moldiver. I thought both series were pretty good and I plan to watch El Hazard - The wanderers soon (apparently a retelling of the first season)

Maybe Kimagure Orange Road? Only seen a few eps but it looks alright.
ii_desu
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
El-Hazard & Moldiver are definitely the two closest to what you seem to be looking for.

Lost Universe is Slayers in space. I couldn't get hold of the whole series but the first half was reasonably funny.

Dangaio might be a bit too serious and mecha-ish for you but its an older classic with sweet animation and character designs from living god Toshihiro Hirano.

Fushigi Yugi is very bishounen/angsty, may not be your style if you didn't like Rayearth. 12 Kingdoms is a million times better but that has zero humour in it so I didn't mention it.

Make sure you see the Dirty Pair movies as well as the OVA (Project Eden & The Nolandia Affair).

Ummmmm ... maybe Dominion Tank Police? Outlanders?

You specified you liked humour (or at least light fun) so the list of easily available stuff that got translated from the late 80s - 90s is starting to thin out. A lot of it was more serious stuff which you may not be looking for a la Lodoss Wars, Kamui, Iczer-1, Megazone etc.

Maybe some early Miyazaki stuff or Nadia?

Ultimate Teacher is hilarious and I'm sure where Cromartie gets some of its influence.

Maison Ikkoku? I never liked it or watched it much but its sort of close.

Amazing Nurse Nanako is sort of along the line of Steel Angel Kurumi, never watched it though so can't vouch for quality, might be bad.

There's also some great current R1 stuff that hasn't been licensed by Madman yet: Outlaw Star, Generator Gawl, some of the Patlabor TV series, maybe Ruin Explorers, Those Who Hunt Elves. I'm assuming you've watched all the Ranma 1/2 stuff.
Electromage
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have any new titles to add, however....

ii_desu wrote:
Moldiver

...I think this is a great series & well worth a look, as for...

ii_desu wrote:
There's also some great current R1 stuff that hasn't been licensed by Madman yet: Outlaw Star.

...1st of all, Outlaw Star has been released by madman & that said I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it, the main character is kinda like Han Solo form starwars, it's a very funny space action series! Very Happy

[Edit] I just thought of 2 more titles to add to the list, Phantom Quest Corp & Voogies Angle. [/Edit]
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can only think of a couple that should fit.

DNA[2] - Price has gone down on this I believe.
Dual

I'd have to agree with Outlaw Star for the same type of artwork as SMJ.

There are 2 others, but they don't fit in the time frame.

Hand Maid May
Comic Party

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
Scorch
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lost Universe is a good series, not the best. But as was mentioned above if you enjoyed Slayers then you'll probably like it.

Other series that spring to mind are:

Dominion Tank Police
Outlaw Star
Moldiver

*Rummages around in his anime collection*
hmm that's all the ones that I can think of that will probably be what your looking for.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sailor Moon? lol

Samurai Pizza Cats but thats next to impossible to find
Trunk's Girl
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Request: Fun anime gems from 10-20 years ago Reply with quote
mib wrote:

[2] I say 1995 because the first show I thought of and (although I like it) discarded as being part of the modern style was Magic User's Club from 1996. Yes, I do realise SMJ is also from 1996.

Magic User's Club is a fantastic show. And so is Saber Marionette J. Make sure you hang in there for Saber Marionette J to X, which is even more emotionally powerful and dramatic than SMJ. Don't be put off by the filler eps near the beginning of the series; you will be rewarded once half-way through.

Re: Fushigi Yuugi. If you don't like angsty, bishounen-laden shoujo fantasy then I think you should stay away. I didn't really like MKR, but I thought FY was far better. (It does have its annoying moments though, and is extremely mushy as times).

Have you tried Video Girl Ai?
Kloppy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi mib!

I think you should have a look here:

Anime Meta Review (list of reviews by production date).

The webmaster is a Melbournite, and is generally on the money with his reviews. Things like Ranma˝, Lupin and Urusei Yatsura are butter - they're über long, so in my experience there's always an episode I haven't seen around somewhere.

So while I'd recommend those to almost everyone, I'm pretty sure you've seen 'em all. Smile Check the website, but any more suggestions from me and it's like the grasshopper giving his master kung-fu advice.
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Request: Fun anime gems from 10-20 years ago Reply with quote
First of all, thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far. Extra thanks to those who took the time to read my first post and tried to answer what I was looking for.

I do have a bit to look into now. I don't think we managed to nail down exactly what it was about the shows I listed that bound them together or found anything else to add. I suspect it's just too hard and I'll have to continue with trial and error. It's definitely going to be expensive and I imagine I'll be selling a lot of things that didn't turn out.

Here's the list of titles I'm checking into:
  • More Lupin Movies
  • Lost Universe
  • Moldiver
  • Dominion Tank Police
  • DNA^2
  • Phantom Quest Corp
  • Voogie's Angel
  • El-Hazard
  • Patlabor TV
  • Ruin Explorers
  • Ranma 1/2
  • Gall Force
Haven't really been able to figure out much about: Dangaio, Pandora, Legend of Leda, Compiler, Kotetsu.

Some personal responses, in reverse order:

Kloppy: I'll have a look, thanks. I think I have checked it out before, but the sheer quantity is daunting and I guess I was hoping for people's gut feelings on what else might have the same je ne sais quois that my list did.

TG: I think you misunderstood me slightly. I really like Magic User's Club. When I said "rejected" I meant "rejected from this list because it's not like the others", not that I rejected the show itself. I have been enjoying SMJ (I'll be watching another batch of eps on Sunday), but a number of people have said J to X is bad so I didn't get that. Now I'm not so sure. I do have Video Girl Ai, and it's pretty good too, but compared to the list it's more serious and dramatic than fun -- which now that I think about it is quite surprising.

Scorch: I have Outlaw Star, but I will check into Dominion as that's something I hadn't considered.

Jester: I'm pretty close to ordering DNA^2 now. Comic Party I already have, but Hand Maid May I suspect contains mostly what I don't like about modern fanservice.

Electromage: I've ordered Voogie's Angel, thanks. Phantom Quest Corp has potential too.

ii_desu (and others): I have to admit, Slayers is only a B or C title with me. I enjoyed it but not enough to keep the DVDs and I don't think I ever saw the third season. From that POV I'm not sure if Lost Universe would be good or bad.

... I think I'll definitely skip Fushigi Yugi (but I'm thinking of buying 12 Kingdoms in the box set releases in R1). I already have all the Dirty Pair I can get my hands on. Where is Dirty Pair TV dammit. Sad

... Amazing Nurse Nanako was terrible.

- mib
Electromage
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Request: Fun anime gems from 10-20 years ago Reply with quote
mib wrote:

Electromage: I've ordered Voogie's Angel, thanks. Phantom Quest Corp has potential too.

Glad I could help!! Very Happy

mib wrote:
(but I'm thinking of buying 12 Kingdoms in the box set releases in R1).

Ditto, its on my "to get list" when I have the cash to throw around!! Wink
ssj4gotenks
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I personally think you should go with Irrensponsible Captian Tylor. Fits all you criteria perfectly, one of the funniest shows i have ever seen with really good storytelling. Madman have released both the Tv series and OVA. Although a brand new ultimate edition has been put out in R1 by TSRI this month.
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ssj4gotenks wrote:
Although a brand new [Tylor] ultimate edition has been put out in R1 by TSRI this month.

And I have it! Smile Good suggestion though!

FWIW: my DVD list.

- mib
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you should buy "Odin: Photon Space Sailor Starlight", and Harmageddon, and Genocyber, and Ambassador Magma, and the rest of the unimelb ERC LD collection.

Not because they're good, 'cause they aren't. 'Cause they suck. Just to remind you that it wasn't all good news back in the day.

Hmm. You actually might enjoy Gall Force; couldn't stand it myself, but i might be up your alley.
mib
Ayeka Masaki Jurai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:
Not because they're good, 'cause they aren't. 'Cause they suck. Just to remind you that it wasn't all good news back in the day.

Trust me, I don't need reminding of that. But if you ever see me request a list of anime turds from 10-20 years ago, feel free to bring them up again. Smile

- mib

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: