Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Petrol its killing my anime budget

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Petrol its killing my anime budget
Author
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Petrol its killing my anime budget Reply with quote
With the price of petrol these days im finding it hard to have spare money to waste on anime, which really pisses me off.
The bloody servos just have to keep the price of petrol up even though it droped $6 bucks a barrel and since i have a big car, im starting to think of taking the bus or walking.
Justed wanted to hear everyones opinion on this problem
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't drive. But if that's not possible, drive when it's only really necessary and not just because your too lazy to walk to the shops for your fish and chips or what not. Don't give your money to the petrol pump every time you feel the need to go some where. Walk, ride a bike, or even resort to public transport.
And if you absolutley have to drive, shop at retailers that offer discounts, or research all the various discount options that are available. Grab every free cent you can.
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
would it be good if MM could give us some of those 4cent off vouchers then we all be set, but i doubt it big time.
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
Medeyer
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
4c would hardly make a difference now with the prices. 70 bucks for a tank of fuel, SAVE 2 BUCKS! YAY!

Sub fans can follow their favourite... um... sub title... font maker... dude...
yay white font
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's really sad is, the petrol prices have risen disproportionately to the oil price rise: we're paying about 20-30 cents more per litre of petrol than we should be, and that's without factoring in the government excise (which is around 40-50 cents/litre).

All I can say is, I'm very glad I don't own a car right now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
iwsh i had gas in my car now i would be complaining if i had that.
Balsnac
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just trade your car in for a gawky electric one and problem solved.

Maybe with all these increasing oil prices SUV's will become less rampant and i'll be able to see less soccer mum's in their over sized novelty cars driving around.

Winner of the Madvivor Challenge: Round 1
Twotwenty
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm so glad that I don't have a car either. But I do carpool with a friend from work, he used to do it for free because we all live near each other but now he's set up a "Help the wallet" foundation.

For just one dollar a trip you can help a starving wallet get the coins it needs to survive. Donate now!

My most recent review:
Welcome to the NHK
Elfen Lied
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not looking good for me, get my license early next year and might not be able to afford to even drive to uni everyday, let alone anywhere else I want to go.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote
ZOMG! Petrol is polluting and killing us all! Petrol is eeeevil!!!!11one

Animé rulz!!!

Not much of a choice really? But seriously, Tallis has got it spot on. Balsnac's got it too. Failing thos options, switch to gas. Still expensive to convert, but the long-term savings are worth it.

Personally, when I was a broke TAFE student, I discovered I had these things called legs Razz. Public transport helped too, but this is Perth, I'm not sure how reliable Public Transport is in the Eastern States, but my brief experience with it made me more appreciative of what we have.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote
Inniss 1428 wrote:
Failing thos options, switch to gas. Still expensive to convert, but the long-term savings are worth it.

Assuming gas stays relatively cheap. Certain people I know suspect that gas prices will shoot up at some point.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm finding it interesting how much people say their life is compromised by the increase in petrol prices and such. Not specifically coldfire, but more the ones who go on tv saying they're going to have to give up their first born child, sell their organs blah blah to get to work. From what I understand, we have relatively cheap petrol (it's well over $2/ltr in Japan and some places in Europe), and they still manage to survive despite driving as much as we do.
secondmouse
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am glad to say I don't own a car (or a bike). But I find I can get anywhere I want to go using public transport and/or walking (with the very occasional taxi for unusual or late night trips). Plus I tend to find I travel much more widely, all over the city (Perth), than most of the people I know who do have cars.

I suggest everyone who depends on their cars try going without it for one or two days a week. You'll save petrol, money and get a bit of exercise into the bargain.
Benza
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Man, I really need to get off my arse and atleast get my licence, then I can have something to be disgruntled about.
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
I'm finding it interesting how much people say their life is compromised by the increase in petrol prices and such. Not specifically coldfire, but more the ones who go on tv saying they're going to have to give up their first born child, sell their organs blah blah to get to work. From what I understand, we have relatively cheap petrol (it's well over $2/ltr in Japan and some places in Europe), and they still manage to survive despite driving as much as we do.

i think latest calculations put it at around 70/c aud a litre for the yanks and malasia and such at around the 50-70c mark a litre. of course australia uses alot of the fuel tax to subsidise stuff like universal healthcare and previously education Razz
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Petrol its killing my anime budget Reply with quote
coldfire wrote:
The bloody servos just have to keep the price of petrol up even though it droped $6 bucks a barrel and since i have a big car, im starting to think of taking the bus or walking.
Justed wanted to hear everyones opinion on this problem

It usually takes around few days or even a week for the price adjustment to propagate all the way to the pumps. It certainly sux though, and forced me to be more thrifty about things... I can still manage to get away with $20/week with my car.

And Mr Waffle has a point, too. We are blessed with cheaper petrol compared with European countries.
ssj_zorella
Rei Ayanami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My car died a few weeks ago (1990 Civic), but she averaged 400km/30L a week. My mum's car is a festiva (1997) and averages 100KM/5L.

I need a car for my work, so I'm dropping her off at work..but even with the expensive fuel and the 50KM more a day... I'm spending $20 LESS a week on fuel.

I think this will only improve the situation for us small car owners. I was talking to a guy who owned a V8, who said it costs him $150 to fill his tank. Even with fuel at $1.30 (highest it's been here) the festiva pushes $35 to fill it.

I am contemplating getting a big V6 and putting it on gas. Talking with a guy who did that with his ute, he used his 15cents off docket (when you buy tv's etc) and it cost him $12 for half a tank which would get him 200km.
Aeuth
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Walk.

Lose some weight, you fat cry-babies. I'm glad the fuel-price is going up, hopefully it will soar even further. That way, people will look towards the direction of alternatives.

People have got around just fine for thousands of years without cars.
ni_jal
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ni_jal uses piss all fuel a tank lasts a month

ni_jal evoides high trafic times of the day{the rush hours of people comming and going to their jobs / people dropping off and picking up their children from school} and ni_jal dosnt need the aircon
ni_jal's car tells ni_jal its fuel efficiency these to are the to things that make it loss fuel efficiency
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aeuth wrote:
Walk.

Lose some weight, you fat cry-babies. I'm glad the fuel-price is going up, hopefully it will soar even further. That way, people will look towards the direction of alternatives.

Yeah. Sure, I'll walk to work every day. I mean, it only takes upwards of thirty minutes to drive there, so, hey what's an extra five or six hours? Or, yeah, I'll get up at Three AM to catch the only bus that will get me to work on time, and even then it's two and a half hours early.

Better yet, why don't I just not leave work?

Quote:

And people survived for just as long without computers, so stop using one. See, it's a stupid argument.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Luciferian
Nanoha Takamachi

Location: Baulkham Hills ( the classy version of bogan ville)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aeuth wrote:
Walk.

I agree with you, BUT the rising petrol prices also means that the industry im in ( butchery) means that the price of meat as it is, is going to cost even more there for all the people working in such places will in the long run loose there jobs because no one can afford to buy meat, then the farmers will suffer and loose whats left of there farming stability ( along with the drought) this is going to happen to everything.

If we could
Melt together and die together, that'd be
Real bliss.

No.1 Lordconan Fangirl STILL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aeuth
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I love stirring you guys up.

Laughing
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Of course, despite what I've said you have no idea how close I am to buying a bike and riding to work.

I only got my license less than a week ago!
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aeuth wrote:
Walk.

Lose some weight, you fat cry-babies.

You're cruel man, now I've lost every confidence with my body image... I'll wallow in self pity for the next 2 weeks and start confort eating again...

Razz
Deus Sceleris
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Buy coal, lots and lots of coal, nothing says 'cool' like something from previous centuries
ssj_zorella
Rei Ayanami

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd walk but

a) Driving is better
b) Too far away from anything to walk
Yuni
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Oil Storm dramatization Reply with quote
So, the oil storm dramatisation on ch. 7 just finished......i like it when movie makers use that tool of faux-documentary in the future. it does make interesting viewing, seeing a possible future.

on the other hand, it just HAD to have a happy ending, didn't it? America won over the Chinese! A happy ending for America but not China, eh? I'd have liked to see the devastating results there. I'd have liked even more to see people giving up on oil altogether and moving to hydrogen or other renewable energies.

oh, and the other thing i disliked about the scenario they posed was how they COMPLETELY FAILED TO MENTION that they held off global warming for a year, and that the oil crisis caused for a huge surge in alternate fuels. surely something like that would play a big part in an oil crisis, even in a dramatisation??

all that was mentioned was "in the future, we should look to alternate energies to complement oil"

sheesh.

well, i'm going to be in japan for a year and will be using only public transport. i guess when i come back, i'd be using more public transport. or, i'll trade in my focus for a prius. or get a scooter, they're good for fuel economy.

it's disgusting that i have to pay $60 to fill up my tank, when a year ago, when i first bought my car, it was $43. definitely going to get a hybrid.

http://radio-tokyo.net
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
Inniss 1428 wrote:
Failing thos options, switch to gas. Still expensive to convert, but the long-term savings are worth it.

Assuming gas stays relatively cheap. Certain people I know suspect that gas prices will shoot up at some point.

Once demand for it increases, the price will go up, just like petrol.

Anything that isn't a infinite resource is going to end up being expensive at some point. Gas, oil, all the same.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
So, the oil storm dramatisation on ch. 7 just finished......i like it when movie makers use that tool of faux-documentary in the future. it does make interesting viewing, seeing a possible future.

That time would have been better spent watching the documetary on Newton. Certainly a lot more educational..
Yuni
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
Quote:

That time would have been better spent watching the documetary on Newton. Certainly a lot more educational..

lol, i tried but i wanted to preseve my idea that newton was a sensible man in a church-controlled world, instead they were saying he was more of a religious freak than most.

CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gouki wrote:

Yeah. Sure, I'll walk to work every day. I mean, it only takes upwards of thirty minutes to drive there, so, hey what's an extra five or six hours? Or, yeah, I'll get up at Three AM to catch the only bus that will get me to work on time, and even then it's two and a half hours early.

how does that work... it takes me 30 mins by car to tafe and 45 minutes to walk... ok rtraffic is thick... and i can take short-cuts.... but for you to say an extra 5-6 hours... thats a bit over the top....
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yuni wrote:
lol, i tried but i wanted to preseve my idea that newton was a sensible man in a church-controlled world, instead they were saying he was more of a religious freak than most.

hahah, you'll find that most brilliant people are also the most deranged... Cool
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yuni wrote:

Don't ever read Quicksilver, then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
petrol as of thursday where i live (thats when i last saw pump prices ^_^) it is $1.39L

i may complain that im spending $20 a fortnight out of my $80 for public transportation, but when u look at it, its alot cheaper than driving a car

we did have a 95 tarago, but mum sold that cause it was a fuel guzzler and got a 98 camry, this was back in 2003 mind you, id hate to think how much it would go through in a week

My dad has a V8 but says he doesnt use it much cause it costs too much to run hehe, so they use his g/f car which is a hyundai something or other oh an Elantra

when they come down for a visit or travel they use the V8 :/ but then again there is more bootspace as in holidays we meet up in yass so my lil bro and sis can go to their place as they live 5 hrs away from us.

anyway i think i wont worry about gettin a licence for now with fuel prices, but then again who know what prices could be like in 6 months to a years time
ssj_zorella
Rei Ayanami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Storm dramatization Reply with quote
Yuni wrote:
So, the oil storm dramatisation on ch. 7 just finished

I stopped watching it because it was bugging me. What happened in the end? Did everyone die?

Petrol today is 1.23
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Storm dramatization Reply with quote
Yuni wrote:
have liked even more to see people giving up on oil altogether and moving to hydrogen or other renewable energies.

Hydrogen is not a renewable energy source; at the moment, more energy is used to produce the hydrogen than it provides, because it has to be extracted from water (via, you guessed it, electricity). Until we start mining it from the moon (no, I'm serious), hydrogen is a very bad choice for a future energy source.

Yuni wrote:
it's disgusting that i have to pay $60 to fill up my tank, when a year ago, when i first bought my car, it was $43. definitely going to get a hybrid.

Well that's all well and good, until you actually sit down and look at the costs of such an endevour.

Let's assume petrol stays at $60/week (probably won't, but...), and a Hybrid Prius uses half the petrol of a Focus (I doubt it).

Focus= $25,000
Petrol/yr= $3,120

Prius= $37,000
Petrol/yr= $1,560

Cost to own each car-

yr1- 28,120/38,560
yr2- 31,240/40,120
yr3- 34,360/41,680

As you can see, the Prius will *eventually* save you money... but by that time you'll also have bugger all resale value.

If you want real fuel economy, you're better looking off at something like a Honda Jazz. Their fuel economy is almost that of the Hybrids (better than Hybrids if you go highway driving, actually), but at a much cheaper starting point. If you still want to go a Hybrid, a Civic Hybrid is a much better buy than a Prius... I think they're releasing an Accord Hybrid soon, too.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is always the option of aiding research into teleportation, they are always looking for volunteers..............

dont know what happened to the last person tho
Kloppy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
For those who have no option but to use a car due to crappy public transport, I suggest that they seriously consider moving. The following was my situation:

At Home approx weekly costs:
Board: $50
Petrol: $50 (when petrol was 80c and we were complaining)
Other Car costs: ~$30 (maintenance, rego)
Public transport: $25 (weekend trips to city + night rider)

Sharehouse costs:
Rent: $65
Petrol: $10
Other car costs: ~$20 (rego, but less maintenance due to less km's)
Public transport: $10 (costs less because I'm closer to the city)
Food, sundries: $50

I end up about even, but only really because I go out more now because I can! I also have a fair bit more time now that I'm a 5 minute walk from work/study. I'm actually going to sell my car and go without for a month or two to see how I go.
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CreepC wrote:
Gouki wrote:

how does that work... it takes me 30 mins by car to tafe and 45 minutes to walk... ok rtraffic is thick... and i can take short-cuts.... but for you to say an extra 5-6 hours... thats a bit over the top....

Now, Gouki is living in Clifton Springs. Assuming he works in Geelong, the 5-6 hour figure isn't that far off. For me to walk from my house to Geelong, it would take about 1-2 hours as well. Probably 3 seeing as I'm a 'slow' walker.

I walk to work every day which takes me about 45 minutes. Unless it rains, then I drive to work.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: ... Reply with quote
Tony wrote:
HimuraBattousai wrote:
Inniss 1428 wrote:

Once demand for it increases, the price will go up, just like petrol.

Anything that isn't a infinite resource is going to end up being expensive at some point. Gas, oil, all the same.

Coal too; au is a big coal exporter, and it's why the AUD's been drifting up.

It's actually been happening for a while, and doesn't appear to be primarilly driven by reducing supplies of oil, specifically, as much as rising demand for energy-in-general. In fact, supplies have, I understand, barely shifted[1].

Plus side, steel prices have been falling.

[1] I read the economist every couple of weeks [it's a weekly]; gives you a huge amount of info that you won't hear about.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
when i was walking home from school (after my bike was stolen Sad ) i lived 2k from the school i could generally do that in around 20 mins at a decent pace, thats when i was fit and the last 1k or so was uphill and a slow incline and i lived near the top so it was a good workout, specially on the bike. Now it probably take me around 30-40 mins to walk 2k

i walk into town after TAFE each day now, it might only take about 15 mins to get to the market place shopping centre (around 10 just to get to the top of the main street) while it may not be that far, its better than nothing i guess. My mum was saying that it looks like ive lost weight ^^ even though that its been about 3 weeks since ive been doing it. I guess im losing the weight somehow, after i finished school i just stopped exercising completly, i mean riding to and from school (with a bag that weighed a ton) every day 5 days a week then suddenly stopping you expect to put on some weight

i guess im lucky i dont own a car at this stage, public transportation seems alot cheaper

also how much does it take for a bus to go through a full tank of fuel?
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheHeadSage wrote:
CreepC wrote:
Gouki wrote:

Now, Gouki is living in Clifton Springs. Assuming he works in Geelong, the 5-6 hour figure isn't that far off. For me to walk from my house to Geelong, it would take about 1-2 hours as well. Probably 3 seeing as I'm a 'slow' walker.

I walk to work every day which takes me about 45 minutes. Unless it rains, then I drive to work.

I work in waurn Ponds, which is even further away. And the number of Uni students that have been killed wlaking along the roads near the shopping centre is disturbingly high.
Uniforce
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aeuth wrote:
Walk.

LOL....

think of this: i need to work an extra day every weekend (i only work weekends ATM) to just pay for the fuel to get me to and from work Sad
and no, walking is not an option... its a 45min drive as is (average speed 75-85Kph - 70-80 odd Km) and 12 hour shifts... so, yeah, thats an extra 8-9 hours each day i have to stay up... wow... 2-3 hours sleep/day, thats without food....

well, at least its better than what fuel I use at work.... at times, upwards of 300L/Hour of diesel at times... they have between 3200L and 5000L tanks, and generally run for about 17-18 hours before fueling up again... i'm glad i don't actually have to pay for that...
People always seek those things, and before they know it, become lost.
Smeg
Shana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
$1.33 a litre and $1.45 for ultimate

Will the madness ever end?

"Don't give me any of that 'Star Trek' crap. It's too early in the morning." - Dave Lister
Yuni
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Storm dramatization Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
Yuni wrote:
have liked even more to see people giving up on oil altogether and moving to hydrogen or other renewable energies.

Hydrogen is not a renewable energy source; at the moment, more energy is used to produce the hydrogen than it provides, because it has to be extracted from water (via, you guessed it, electricity). Until we start mining it from the moon (no, I'm serious), hydrogen is a very bad choice for a future energy source.

yah, that's what i meant, by saying hydrogen and other renewable sources, but i guess the english was pretty bad it could be taken as hydrogen being renewable. my bad.

it is pretty good, though. normal seawater or recycled water can be used, and the cost of creating a hydrogen engine is expected to be the same as the cost of creating a fuel engine within 5 years. i suspect they still may be hybrid though O_o

once we learn to use a powerful renewable electricity generator (like tidal power) then hydrogen will be the best way to go in aqll sorts of things, not just cars.

Mr Waffle wrote:
Yuni wrote:

Well that's all well and good, until you actually sit down and look at the costs of such an endevour.

Let's assume petrol stays at $60/week (probably won't, but...), and a Hybrid Prius uses half the petrol of a Focus (I doubt it).

Focus= $25,000
Petrol/yr= $3,120

Prius= $37,000
Petrol/yr= $1,560

Cost to own each car-

yr1- 28,120/38,560
yr2- 31,240/40,120
yr3- 34,360/41,680

As you can see, the Prius will *eventually* save you money... but by that time you'll also have bugger all resale value.

it sounds silly, but the cost difference in cars and how much i save on them doesn't matter to me when i know that i'm helping out the environment a little. Plus, the cost difference for a prius is small and upfront if i trade in the focus.

oh, and just to confirm: the Ford Focus is supposed to get 24miles per gallon (i know were litres, but bear with me) in the city and 30 on a highway, while prius uses 55 MPG in the coty and 60 on a highway. AND it's a bigger car, more room inside and more powerful (not that there's anything wrong with my focus, i love it <3 but it *is* killing the planet slowly). so the prius does actually half the cost in petrol and a little bit more.

Mr Waffle wrote:
If you want real fuel economy, you're better looking off at something like a Honda Jazz. Their fuel economy is almost that of the Hybrids (better than Hybrids if you go highway driving, actually), but at a much cheaper starting point. If you still want to go a Hybrid, a Civic Hybrid is a much better buy than a Prius... I think they're releasing an Accord Hybrid soon, too.

the Honda Jazz does between 36 and 39MPG which is great, but quite less than the prius. Also, it's only a 1.5litre engine car, and i already drove a barina once, thanks. i prefer being able to overtake trucks Rolling Eyes

i like hondas but the jazz annoys me a bit, plus i dont like the look of it. but you're right, the accord is already a hybrid in america, and will be a hybrid here soon, along with the civic. both the hondas hybrids are worse fuel economy than the prius though (good link here) and the prius just looks nicer XD

the civic hybrid looks like a normal civic, which is damn ugly, and i HATE sedans. prius is a hatch. admittedly, they're making the next civic model look damn sexy but it's only a 2 door >.< and again, a sedan.

so, until BMW release their hybrid model, or if the new mitsubishi model (that they're keeping secret until october) turns out to be a hybrid, prius for teh win!!

although, if my dad ever saw me in a toyota, he may disown me Shocked

Aeuth
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gouki wrote:
And the number of Uni students that have been killed wlaking along the roads near the shopping centre is disturbingly high.

That's because they're always high/drunk.

I'm not worried about the fuel-price. Why? I don't use my car much, unless it's raining & I need to go to work. I hate riding my bike through heavy rain at 4am. But, it usually takes me about 30 minutes to ride to work. All downhill/flat. Nice.

On average, I use about $10 on fuel a week. If that.

I work at a Service-Station, so I've heard of all these rants before. And the most common response I give after a customer has his/her little rant; "Yeah, I know". A neutral response, for if I gave my real opinion on the rants of customers, I'd be fired in an instant.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Smeg wrote:

it might, but not anytime soon

and for the first time unleaded is dearer than diesel (well that ive seen anyway)
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gouki wrote:
And the number of Uni students that have been killed wlaking along the roads near the shopping centre is disturbingly high.

and the number of students who kill themselves during exam time is insanely high, so lets ban exams then.

Darth Tallis wrote:
or even resort to public transport.

It would be cheaper for me to drive to work, than to catch public transport, and it would take less time.

Hurrah for $150+ train ticket
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
Smeg wrote:

it might, but not anytime soon

and for the first time unleaded is dearer than diesel (well that ive seen anyway)

it used to always well mostly more expensive than desial , as well it's hardr (tm) to make , well more refining needed , no idea why deisal jumped higher for a while but it's good to see some sence being brought to bear .

also it's a 40min walk to work or 10min drive , walking in a suit in the newcastle hot weather is not fun, i don't want to have to shower before i can enter the building.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Storm dramatization Reply with quote
Yuni wrote:
Plus, the cost difference for a prius is small and upfront if i trade in the focus.

'04 Focus, right? Redbook gives the trade-in as $10-$16k, depending on the spec... so $20,000 is small and upfront? Wanna swap jobs? Razz

Yuni wrote:
oh, and just to confirm: the Ford Focus is supposed to get 24miles per gallon (i know were litres, but bear with me) in the city and 30 on a highway, while prius uses 55 MPG in the coty and 60 on a highway. AND it's a bigger car, more room inside and more powerful (not that there's anything wrong with my focus, i love it <3 but it *is* killing the planet slowly). so the prius does actually half the cost in petrol and a little bit more.

http://www.redbook.com.au/ -unless linked otherwise

I'm gonna go with the base '04 Focus since I don't know what you drive.

Focus - '04 Hatchback CL 5dr Man 5sp 1.8i - new $20,660- used $10-$12,600
Power 85kW @ 5500rpm
Torque 156Nm @ 4400rpm
Fuel Consumption City 7.6L/100km*
Fuel Consumption Highway 5.2L/100km
Kerb Weight 1175kg

*gov. figure better by .4 than redbook

Prius- '05 Liftback 5dr CVT 1sp 1.5i - new $36,500
Power 57kW @ 5000rpm
Torque 115Nm
Fuel Consumption City 4.4L/100km
Fuel Consumption Highway 5.4L/100km
Kerb Weight 1295kg

Just for fun...

Jazz - '05 Hatchback GLi 5dr Man 5sp 1.3i - new $15,390
Power 61kW @ 5700rpm
Torque 119Nm
Fuel Consumption City 5.7L/100km*
Fuel Consumption Highway 4.8L/100km
Kerb Weight 1010kg

*gov figure is .1 better than Redbook figure

Based loosely on these figures-

Initial $ outlay- Jazz, Focus, Prius
Power- Focus, Jazz, Prius
Space- Prius, Focus, Jazz
City economy- Prius, Jazz, Focus
Highway economy- Jazz, Focus, Prius

For some more fun, I read this on the ocau forums a few days ago.

Toyota Prius, $36,500
Engine: 4.4L/100km, 57kW
Price of 91 RON: $1.20/L
Cost of travelling 100km: $5.28

VW Golf 1.9TDi, $27,990
Engine: 5.5L/100km, 77kW
Price of Diesel: $1.26/L
Cost of travelling 100km: $6.93

Difference in price: $8510
In the VW, $8510 will buy you 122,799.42km worth of fuel

In the end it's up to you, but the Prius is alot of money upfront over its petrol rivals. Despite that warm fuzzy feeling you get from saving the planet, I think the dollars speak for themselves...

(As a side note, that extra dosh for the Prius would probably pay for more energy efficient appliances such as washing machine, air conditioner and the like... which will save you $ on the bills, cut water usage, AND use less electricity{and therefore fossil fuel usage})

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: