Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Manga's Astroboy

Manga's Astroboy
Author
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Manga's Astroboy Reply with quote
So Manga will be releasing the 1980's Astroboy with a Japanese dub.
Can we expect the same from Madman?
Dizrythmia
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Manga's Astroboy Reply with quote
Creedy wrote:
So Manga will be releasing the 1980's Astroboy with a Japanese dub.

So they say..... I wanna wait & see on this one as I'm REALLY annoyed it's so much cheaper than tha R4 release (but I've covered that elsewhere). I don't think it would be, but yeah..... I'll wait for reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
From animenewsnetwork.com/Animenation.com

Quote:
November 22nd will see the release of a 7-disc DVD box set of all 51 episodes of the 1983 Astro Boy TV series. The set will include both the original Japanese language track and the English dubbed version

The problem I see here is that there was 52 episodes of the 1980 series, not 51. Either they've got it wrong, or it's the cut first episode again. How they're going to make the latter bilingual, I have no idea. The other problem I see here is that it's a 7 disc set. That means at least 7 episodes per disc and two will have 8 per disc. Also knowing Manga's lack of care with their own product, I'm not looking forward to this release.

I'm hoping for some confirmation if this title is indeed bilingual, but Anchor Bay haven't updated their website to include November releases (there's never any detail on their Manga Video page, so I always go to their parent site).
Dizrythmia
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4116

Quote:
DVDEmpire.com has a new listing for "Astro Boy: The Complete Box Set" on their website, and they've confirmed the November 22 date we had heard previously.

The 8 disc set will include all 52 episodes of the series in both English and Japanese (with optional English subtitles). DVDEmpire lists the following extras:

First Episode Of The 1960s Series
Deleted Scenes
Restoration Comparison
Textless Opening
Textless Closing
Storyboards Of Opening Sequence
Character Profiles
Original Character Art Gallery
Original Astro Boy Manga Covers
Merchandise Gallery

The $39.98 set is being sold at DVDEmpire for $29.99, while Amazon.com has it for $35.98, and DVDPlanet lists it for $27.97

Another news article confirming the Japanese dub WILL be present.... I dunno, I still wanna wait & see. Ugh... I still cringe when I see the price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dizrythmia wrote:
Another news article confirming the Japanese dub WILL be present.... I dunno, I still wanna wait & see. Ugh... I still cringe when I see the price.

Uh, something is wrong here. If you actually look at DVD Empire's site, it actually says; "All 51 Episodes of the 1980s series", not 52 episodes. It also makes no mention of the series being on 8 discs.

Also why would manga have one of the 1963 episodes as an extra? The Right Stuf have the US rights to that series. The extras look suspiciously like the list of Madman's extras in the box set.

I'm still going to wait unit it's confirmed on Anchor Bay's website before putting any money down.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, this is gonna be confusing to some people but to those whom will understand what I'm on about, it will be a simple straightforward question:

Was this series originally produced at 24fps or 30fps? The answer will greatly influence whether or not I buy the US box set coz as much as I like seeing Anime with the original language intact, I'm not too fussed with the "Retro Collection" including such a feature.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
Dizrythmia wrote:

Also why would manga have one of the 1963 episodes as an extra? The Right Stuf have the US rights to that series. The extras look suspiciously like the list of Madman's extras in the box set.

That's because it is Smile
Creedy
Mylene Jenius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So will Madman be releasing a sub only release?
Maybe it's an exchange Madman had with Manga?
We'll give you bonus materials aslong as you hand over a sub track.
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As we stated last year, if a bilingual release was at all possible, we would have done it.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well (some of) the specs on the set are available on the Anchor bay web site here. Of course the most important information, wether itís bilingual or not, is not mentioned.
White Demon
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well going by the episode & extras listing there, it's the MM version. There's only 51 eps listed and all the extras that MM had are there.

I'm intrigued by the length -9792 minutes. If you work that out, according to them 51 eps of Astroboy goes for an average of over 3 hours per episode. Hmmm.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: