Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Noir

Noir
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Noir Reply with quote
Can someone tell me what noir is all about because i want to buy it but i don't know what it is about so can some plz tell me
skate
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
has anyone seen this site? it's pretty damn awesme. is noir released in australia yet? it looks good.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php

noir link- http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=407
Zen 2nd
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noir is about when two assassins who come together and whom have forgotten about their past and of course throughout the animé they try to figure it out.

I would believe it to be a slow paced animé and the unbelievable ability the two assassins have to miss every single bullet fired at them is one slight flaw of the show.

I also think that it only gets interesting in the 4th volume when things are done for a reason whereas before that it seems to be just random encounters and the reasons unknown.

Oh yeah there's not an awful lot of talking going on. Some scenes can be painfully quiet.

But even after that I would rate the show very highly. When you learn about the characters then you start to give a damn about them and what happens. Thus results in more engaging viewing.
Elric of Grans
Spaurh Aron Sekpadao Letopanyu Peneju

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only one of them has amnesia: the other remembers the past fine, but does not know the whole truth about what happened (they did not see it: only the aftermath). They get hit with bullets too: just not as often as you would expect. You possibly missed this because they were not allowed to depict blood on the station Noir was aired on, so being shot can only be seen as a wince or whatnot.

One other point of note is the stylistic means taken in this series: it is done in the style of Film Noir. That means unusual (typically low) `camera' angles, artistic use of shadow, and so on.

I was not overly interested in Noir when I saw the first episode, but it slowly drew me in after that. Personally, I rate it as the best non-comedy I have ever seen (probably 80-90% of my top 100 would be comedies) .
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noir is released in australia, i rented the first disc, i didnt overly like it, but i may rent it again to give it another chance
Phoenix85
Ryuk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As mentioned previously, Noir has bee released in Australia. The complete collection was released in Feb of this year apparently
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Moving to Recommendations.
Weis
Meryl Strife

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noir didnt appeal to me too much. I prefer a show like that to be at least slightly realistic. The two main characters I dont like, the gunfights are unrealistic and the animation IMO isn't that great.

The music is good though Smile

Warning: Use with caution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Evilkon
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think after reading this thread I might give it a pass. For the moment

-Fruits Basket-

[I survived 6-7 hours into the madgate]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting, then slow, then very interesting, then completely rubbish combat in the last few episodes ruined it for me.

It's not the best, but it's not the worst.
archangel
Kuu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i got bored with noir very quickly... it's alot of "hit of the week", where they usually hunt down some guy they've been paid to whack, kill him and learn i little more about the soldats and then it gets boring again... theres hardly any emotion in it most of the time (if you like that it might be ok), and it's chief focus is on how many people muriel can kill in one episode... pretty flat to be honest...

prolly the best thing that i got out of noir was trigun, when i swapped it with a mate of mine...

and is it just me, or duz madlax look exactly the same as noir... even down to the character design and their rolls in the story... maybe it's differnet since it doesn't look like it's set in france, but it's basically the same premise...

you want a show about gun toting assassin's then get gunslinger girl... it's got just as big a body count as noir, is set in itally (so it's got the whole euro-trash feal, just like noir Razz ), it doesn't really have the mystery of noir, but thats prolly a good thing, but it packs more of an emotional whallop than noir could ever hope to achieve...
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
archangel wrote:
and is it just me, or duz madlax look exactly the same as noir... even down to the character design and their rolls in the story...

Same creator.
ii_desu
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It can get EXTREMELY slow at some points and it gets slammed a bit in reviews, but to be honest I really enjoyed it. I just liked the style and found the story interesting.

The Soldats are one of the more interesting antagonists around with a fair bit of thought behind them as opposed to the usual anime malevolent-bad-guy-for-no-good-reason. The girls are MEANT to be emotionless, that's the whole point, they've had their humanity ground out of them by their training / histories / traumas.
archangel
Kuu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
archangel wrote:
and is it just me, or duz madlax look exactly the same as noir... even down to the character design and their rolls in the story...

Same creator.

yeah i know, that makes it even worse, couldn't this guy come up with an original idea for a show... instead he has to do the "george lucus" thing and remake noir...
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well it's not a remake of Noir. The only similarity is that it involves 2 women who have guns and the style is similar. That's really all thats similar.
Foxy
Koyomi Mizuhara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I must admit that i have had this anime for a long time in my collection I've never watched it although my dad says its slow, interesting, sad and slow

I should really watch it
"Im like your modern day vampire. Except I dont like drinking blood, I dont hate garlic, sunshine doesnt directly kill me, and I dont file a tax return as undead. And a steak to the heart screws me too"
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the noir series based around fact and fiction surrounding 2 mythical legends of the underworld predating the sicilian mafia, which control the noir hit team, so the legend goes, people seeking to be noir must go through test's to prove thier to the society that controls them...

while i haven't seen madlax yet it seems to follow simular storyline to noir, thus they get compared to each other...
DesertEagle
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
noir wasnt bad but wasn't great ...... i liked the music it was made by ummmmm yuki kajura (i think, if it is i probably spelt the name wrong) who made .hack//SIGN 's music

go for it if you like gun fights
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess it's up to me to inject some enthusiasm for Noir into this thread.

Even though it is quite a slow series, it sets the atmosphere incredibly well and has a depth in the characters that very few stories (of any media and genre) are able to acheive.

The visuals are stunning, the camera angles are incredibly dynamic, reminding me of John Woo in many places. The gun fights are very well choroegraphed and the music is in a class of its own.

archangel wrote:
yeah i know, that makes it even worse, couldn't this guy come up with an original idea for a show... instead he has to do the "george lucus" thing and remake noir...

That is extremely unfair. This is the same production group (mostly) that also created .Hack, and that is distinctly different from Noir or Madlax.
In all honestey, Madlax and Noir are completely different. The stories are totally unrelated and the characters, despite initially looking similar, are also vasly different. The antagonists of both series have some superficial similarities, but this initial reaction should be ignored.

I would definitly recommend Noir, however, if you have any doubts then you should try to find a copy of the first episode. If it doesn't hook you, then don't worry about the rest of the series.
Elric of Grans
Spaurh Aron Sekpadao Letopanyu Peneju

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did not like the first episode of Noir, but it is my favourite non-comedy. I would suggest watching a couple of episodes before making a decission Wink I almost did not watch past episode one, but I am now glad I did!

Yes, the music is out of this world, but the whole Film Noir style they use (camera angles, use of shadow, etc), as well at the themes, it all comes together to work remarkably well.

With MADLAX, however, it is very, very similar to Noir, though I personally do not think it was as well executed. Yeah, their plots are different, and their characters are different (and it is a much larger cast), but they are extremely similar in many ways.
wez_90
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
noir sucks its way to serious they need to losen up
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
wez_90 wrote:

Congratulations, you just succeeded in saying nothing. Care to provide some kind of useful criticism or are you just going to leave it at that?
black_ops
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
the problem with noir its a thinking anime....

the myth of noir is based in history going back a quite of few number of hundreds of years, so the storyline goes...

basicly noir boils down to a clan fight with the right and left hand fighting each other for control with 1 of the leaders being completely troppo, mixing fact and history to suit her own purpose throwing in her own fictisous world she had created for herself...

the right of passage for noir is to kill 1 or both leaders of the group to reset the status quo of the organisation inbetween removing the annoying weeds from the organisations backside...
wez_90
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Schroedinger's_Cat wrote:
wez_90 wrote:

Congratulations, you just succeeded in saying nothing. Care to provide some kind of useful criticism or are you just going to leave it at that?

yeah i am is that a problem or do u need me to tell u that it sucks and go into detail
Trunk's Girl
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Must we go through this every year?
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Laughing It does seem so, doesn't it?

Wez 90: Yes, actually, I do. In a recommendations forum, one generally should provide some sort of reason for recommending or not recommending a series. How is the owner of the thread or any other readers going to decide whether they should give it a go or not if this isn't provided?

Hmm, yes, I see the dawn of understanding in your eyes. Or perhaps not.
Shayla^2
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
noir was good and all, if a bit slow. if one however decides to watch madlax on account of liking noir ... rethink your chain of thought.. its basically like rewatching noir...o.0

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: