Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Godzilla Vs. Mothra - out 15/02/06

Godzilla Vs. Mothra - out 15/02/06
Author
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Godzilla Vs. Mothra - out 15/02/06 Reply with quote
Synopsis
A greedy developer is destroying the ocean near Tokyo to builda partments, when a mysterious egg is washed up on a nearby beach. Inside are the offspring of Mothra. When Godzilla emerges with plans to destroy Tokyo, Mothra must fight for her egg and all of Japan as well.
Two great Japanese monster icons fight a battle of epic proportions!

DVD Special Features
JAPANESE language with ENGLISH subtitles
ENGLISH language

- Restored original 2.35:1 transfer
- Original uncut "1964 Japanese" version
- Japanese Theatrical Trailer
- Poster Gallery

Quotes
"ONE OF GODZILLA'S GROOVIEST MOVIES" - E Film critic
"ONE OF THE BETTER GODZILLA FILMS" -Sun Newspaper

A CLASH OF THE SUPER BEASTS- MOTH VERSUS MONSTER

Release Date: 15/02/2006

Country of Origin: Japan
Audio tracks: Japanese Dolby 5.1, Japanse Dolby mono, English Dolby 5.1 , English Dolby mono
Languages: Japanese
Genre: Action/Adventure, Godzilla/Kaiju
Director: Ishiro Honda
Subtitles: English subtitles
Runtime: 86.0 mins
Format: DVD, Region 4

Catalogue: EYE259

Last edited by Mr Waffle on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chris
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool, a Godzilla forum.

I've put an update through on the website to include English Dolby 5.1 and English Dolby mono for this film (so it has ENGLISH language too) which was missing for some reason. Could you edit the post with new info? Thanks Smile
Kensheeen
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been about 10 years since I saw this. The fairies were so cute, but their singing tended to send me to sleep. It's one of the more memorable Showa era Godzilla movies for me, I guess because Mothra is so cute as well. Very Happy
Talos
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I picked this up for my son today and was very dissapointed that the English transfer is still the daggy full frame version that appears to have had no clean up done on it at all. The Japanes version looks great, however, but my Son, being 10 prefers to watch it in English.

Perhaps in the future the information on the slick could be more specific about the contents of the DVD.

And the trailers... How about a few more Godzilla related trailers on the disc? OK, so there is the Son of Godzilla, but the second one (Name escapes me) and the Grudge??? I've had to warn my 10 year old away from watching the trailers to avoid the nightmares that would ensue from viewing 'The Grudge' Trailer.

Remember, a lot of kids will be viewing these Godzilla DVDs too and some responsibility about the extras content would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Grudge is rated "M" and so is "Godzilla Vs Mothra". I can't see any problem with what Madman has done. It'd be good if parents were a little proactive in what their children watched, and actually take the time to read the OFLC labels on the DVDs (which are so freaking huge now, I can't see how people could miss them) rather than blaming the company.
Chris
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Talos wrote:
I picked this up for my son today and was very dissapointed that the English transfer is still the daggy full frame version that appears to have had no clean up done on it at all. The Japanes version looks great, however, but my Son, being 10 prefers to watch it in English.

Perhaps in the future the information on the slick could be more specific about the contents of the DVD.

And the trailers... How about a few more Godzilla related trailers on the disc? OK, so there is the Son of Godzilla, but the second one (Name escapes me) and the Grudge??? I've had to warn my 10 year old away from watching the trailers to avoid the nightmares that would ensue from viewing 'The Grudge' Trailer.

Remember, a lot of kids will be viewing these Godzilla DVDs too and some responsibility about the extras content would be appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

Hi Talos. Thanks for your comments. Smile

As far as information goes for aspect ratios on the back of our slicks, I think Eastern Eye has more than the usual amount. For Godzilla vs Mothra, there is an aspect ratio box giving anamorphic and full-frame information. The inclusion of the English version was more of a bonus as we couldn't get any other master for it and it differs quite a lot from the original Japanese version with respect to edits.

There is certainly room for making information clearer on the back of the slicks. In future we will try to clarify this info to avoid any confusion.

As for the amount of Godzilla trailers, we mastered this DVD not long after the new OFLC rules came in and there was still some doubt over which Godzilla titles could be advertised, so we played it safe.

As Greoboruri mentioned, Godzilla vs Mothra is rated M and the other trailers are for M rated releases. The OFLC considers Godzilla vs Mothra to be a film that "contains material that requires a mature perspective" and thus not a kids film in the same way as a lot of the other Godzilla movies are.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chris wrote:
The OFLC considers Godzilla vs Mothra to be a film that "contains material that requires a mature perspective"
Like a giant moth and it's two miniature guardians who always speak in unison. Laughing But seriously I can see why the OFLC gave it an "M". Surprising amount of blood and violence for a Godzilla film (though it was confined to one scene really).
Talos
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Chris and thanks for the informative and polite response. I appreciate you taking note of my comments. I did see the aspect ratio box but given that the icons for the varying aspect ratios were not labelled as relating to the two different versions of the film, it is a little ambiguous.

I understand now why you were limited as to which other Godzilla trailers to include. I mentioned the other trailers only because I previewed the contents of the DVD BEFORE letting my Son watch the disc. Sorry if that isn't pro-active enough for you, Greoboruri.

I resent Greoboruri's insinuation regarding the calibre of my parenting. The mere fact that I had bothered to check the trailers first must have given some indication of my care regarding the material I let any of my kids watch. I consider that there is a huge difference in content between a 42 year old 'Monster Movie' that I have sat and watched with my Son previously, and a psychological horror film specifically designed to frighten, that is only a few years old.

All I ask in the future (to make my job easier as a parent) is that some common sense is used when applying supplemental material to DVDs. Godzilla films are going to attract younger children, and I feel that there are many titles in the Madman catalogue more appropriate than those selected to have trailers included with this title.

I don't rely on the OFLC for detailed or competent rating of material and the new system only adds to the confusion they create. Their ratings are hit and miss for the most part (Check 'Deadwood' if you don't believe me...), and should only ever be used as a guideline. If I have any concerns regarding a film that the kids want to watch, my wife and I will often view them first and make our own decision regarding their suitability.

In hindsight, perhaps I would have been better served contacting Madman by phone and voicing my concerns, it would have saved me the attack from someone obviously out to support Madman, at the expense of rational consideration of my post.

Thanks again for your time Chris, and I look forward to future releases from Madman Ent.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Talos wrote:
I consider that there is a huge difference in content between a 42 year old 'Monster Movie' that I have sat and watched with my Son previously, and a psychological horror film specifically designed to frighten, that is only a few years old.[...]All I ask in the future (to make my job easier as a parent) is that some common sense is used when applying supplemental material to DVDs. Godzilla films are going to attract younger children
Sorry, but it is YOUR responsibility to look after your children. Not my responsibility nor anyone else's. If your 10 year old kid got scared looking at a trailer for a movie that was rated "M" and recommended for people OVER the age of 15, well I have absolutely no sympathy for you. You knew the the DVD's contents were rated "M" and clearly marked so, and you still let him watch it. Regardless of wether it was a 40 year old monster film for "kids" (the violence and blood would make me think otherwise), it's still rated "M" and under the guidelines video companies can put trailers which have been rated "M" on their discs.
Talos
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Greoboruri wrote:
Sorry, but it is YOUR responsibility to look after your children. Not my responsibility nor anyone else's. If your 10 year old kid got scared looking at a trailer for a movie that was rated "M" and recommended for people OVER the age of 15, well I have absolutely no sympathy for you. You knew the the DVD's contents were rated "M" and clearly marked so, and you still let him watch it. Regardless of wether it was a 40 year old monster film for "kids" (the violence and blood would make me think otherwise), it's still rated "M" and under the guidelines video companies can put trailers which have been rated "M" on their discs.

Can I suggest you take some time to actually READ my posts? I did NOT let my son see the trailers on the DVD as I felt them inappropriate for him to watch. I did let him watch the film as he had already seen it with me and did not find it distressing in any way before, or on this viewing.

I don't know how old you are, but when my wife and I first had the opportunity to see Godzilla Vs Mothra it was on Television on a Saturday afternoon Matinée, back in the late 60s/early70s. Given that fact I feel that the M rating applied to the film is severe. PG certainly, and parental guidance is what I gave to my Son when he first saw the film.

How can you possibly say there is no difference between the content of the movie and 'The Grudge' trailer? Godzilla is obviously fantasy and can be dealt with on that level. The scenes in the trailer are designed to scare (which they do very well) and they are grounded in 'real life' situations (houses, bedrooms, etc.) even if the protagonists have grey make up on.

If you are going to try and maintain a 'discussion' you really need to keep the facts straight. Take some time and have the consideration to READ the posts before you jump up on your high horse again.

I certainly never asked you to take responsibility for my children, nor would I ever, given your behaviour that I've seen here. Madman Ent. and any other DVD manufacturer have a responsibilty to their consumers, and hiding behind the OFLC's decision with the rating so that makes it OK, really doesn't cut it, in my opinion. The OFLC delivers policy with their decisions, not legislation. I have that in writing from them. Go grab a dictionary and broaden your mind a little. It will help you understand how arbitrary these ratings really are.

I sincerely hope the forum isn't populated with people of your temperament. It doesn't make for a pleasant experience.
keith aiken
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
As an American, I'm not overly familiar with the Australian rating system, but I can tell you that GODZILLA VS MOTHRA was released in the US back in 1964 as a "General Audience" film (the equivalent of a US "G"). I'm actually surprised it would be rated "M" by anyone because it's always been considered a "kid safe" movie here; I was probably 5 or 6 years old when I first saw it as a Saturday matinee on broadcast television and in all the years since I've never heard a single complaint that it wasn't suitable for children.

On the other hand, the Japanese version of JU-ON was released in the US with a "Restricted/R" rating and the US remake THE GRUDGE was given a "Parental Guidance, No One Under 13 Admitted".

I completely understand Talos' concerns, and think he's a good parent for pre-screening what his children see. I think its pretty odd and amusing that a 40 year old G rated kids' film and a modern R rated horror film received the same rating in Australia, and it's too bad that more concern wasn't given to the child viewers who make up much of Godzilla's audience.
Talos
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Keith, and thank you for the response. I was starting to feel like the only person in the world who could see the difference between the JU-ON trailer content and the 'G Vs M' feature.

The OFLC in Australia is a bizarre branch of our Government that has recently received much criticism for their new and (supposedly) improved rating Brandings for DVDs and Video/computer Games.

I mentioned that their ratings system appears arbitrary at best. Godzilla Vs Mothra is a good example receiving an M rating. 'Deadwood', which you may be familair with, has hit DVD in Australia with an 'MA 15+' rating. Given the amount of explicit sex, violence and extremely coarse language in the show I'm staggered that they didn't give it an R rating.

I remember my first exposure to most of the Godzilla films was on Saturday afternoon free to air Television. I'm almost certain that the movies that were shown all ran with a G (General exhibition) rating at the time. I did take the time out to watch them again before I let my kids see them but I could find little if anything to be concerned about and I always sit with them on a first viewing if I have doubts so I can answer questions or if there is any concern, I can turn it off.
Sean
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can someone please tell me how to access the US version? It's not on the main screen and I can't find it in special features. Sorry for seeming a bit thick as I'm usually pretty good at finding stuff on DVDs, but this one has me stumped. Thanks.
Talos
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The US edition is the English Dub, Sean. All you need to do is select the English version under Languages and you've got it. If you selct the Japanese language you get the remastered Japanese version.
Sean
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aha! Thanks very much. Seems so obvious now that I think about it.
matthewgodzillafan
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Talos has a point its the trailers not the movie thats rated M and Ive seen younger kids watch A nightmare on Elm street series and those movies are reated MA and M. I cant even watch the Evil Dead movis and The Exociests Because thay are R rated and they where realeased years ago its a pain but so kids can watch the Godzilla movie but not the trailers.

sorry for any spelling mistakes.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
matthewgodzillafan wrote:
Talos has a point its the trailers not the movie thats rated M

No, the movie is rated "M". It just annoys me that even with the terribly obtrusive rating warnings that the current government slapped on videos, people seemingly still can't read them and then complain at the content of the disc, even though it clearly and explicitly says on the warning what to expect.
Talos
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, this debate is still going on after 8 Months?

Just thought I should chime in here to emphasize that I did NOT say that the trailers were rated differently to the film at any time in my previous posts.

I did question the ethics of adding trailers with graphic or frightening content to a DVD title that would by it's very nature attract a younger audience.

Greoboruri just can't seem to see any difference, even after this length of time. Did you ever get around to reading my posts more carefully? Wink
seven
Eastern Eye Label Manager

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Godzilla trailers and ratings Reply with quote
Hi All,

Please also note that this forum is not a place to debate about anyone's parenting - so let's please keep it nice ok! Many thanks.

As the Manager of Eastern Eye - I do think the comments about trailers are relevant. Apologies that this did not cross my mind earlier and I do think that we could be more sensitive to the fact that the Godzilla range may be viewed by children.
Having said that, the products are clearly marked with the OFLC rating system on the outside sleeve , so I guess it's fair to say that we take some of the responsibility as well as the parent or guardian.
Thanks for the comments and we will surely keep this in mind for the future.
G7- Manager - Eastern Eye
matthewgodzillafan
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still I say that movie rating system is dumb, saying a 1964 film is M man that's a laugh.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: