Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Doctor Who - Malcolm Tucker is the Doctor?!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Doctor Who - Malcolm Tucker is the Doctor?!
Author
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Is Tennant coming back? I heard he was going to leave at the end of this season.

Oh, yeah! David isn't handing over his sonic screwdriver just yet.

Donna as the Doctor's new companion. That could be interesting. He was complaining about the mothers of his companions always slapping him. Now he'll probably get slapped more times than he can handle.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it's good to see that we're not going to be going through the last 4 doctors too rapidly, then. Eccleston's short tenure kind of hurt the possible length of the Doctor's life.

Tennant is also absolutely brilliant as the Doctor. I liked Eccleston, but he never took the chance to make his own Doctor, rather he was a sort-of post-McCoy version of John Pertwee or maybe even early Tom Baker. Tennant has really grown into the role, and made it his own.

It is kind of tempting to compare him to Troughton, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EbonP
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Well, it's good to see that we're not going to be going through the last 4 doctors too rapidly, then. Eccleston's short tenure kind of hurt the possible length of the Doctor's life.

Cause it's not like they can't just use some sort of plot device to reset the Doctor's lives...
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Funnily enough, Caves of Androzani has already given them an escape clause for at least one extra regeneration, if not a full set. Failing that, I think it's either Arc of Infinity or Invasion of Time that gives another escape clause for a second cycle of regenerations.

Hell, there might be some buried in the 7th Doctor/8th Doctor books, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.votesaxon.co.uk/

Thought this was slightly amusing...
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
With the upcoming Christmas Special, and this is just rumour, and granted I first read it on IMDB, which makes me question it straight off the bat, but hey, it would be cool if it were true...

David Tennant's Doctor runs into Paul McGann's Doctor, who ends up regenerating into Christopher Eccleston's Doctor.

Because it's the one thing we haven't seen in the news series yet. A multiple Doctor story. Although, I'd have to wonder how'd they account for the Doctor's shock reaction at the end of the recent series, as this would be past tense to him.
As I said, it's only rumour, and more than likely not even true, but hey, it'd be interesting.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Sontarans are coming back next season.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2007/10/02/49473.shtml

I can remember thinking they were coming back last season, when I first saw the trailer for series three on the "Runaway Bride". In the end, they turned out to be big Rhinos.

Things I do know are happening on series four are...
The Ood return.
The Doctor will actually meet Agatha Christie.
The Doctor will go to Pompeii before Mount Vesuvius blows her top.
Martha come back part way through series four.

The rumours are...
Davros will return.
Rose will return somewhere along the line.

StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm kind of hoping they don't bring Davros back, to be honest. While he was a fantastic character in his first outing, he soon turned into a major crutch for writers of Dalek stories, and his later appearances descended further and further into caricature.
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should be interesting to see what they look like in battle armour. Thinking back to old who lynx was my fave sontaran I like the medieval episone he was mean and evil.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
News on our favourite Time Lord (unless you prefer Romana or The Master)

Doctor Who to get the axe in 2008

.....maybe?

Well the BBC say otherwise

(three different links)
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I had thought that Davros was coming back during the Daleks in Manhattan ep. The whole human hybrid thing made me think that it could be possible.

As for the Sontarans returning, yay! Now we need some of the other old school baddies like the Silaurians or even the Ice Warriors for example. Now that would be cool.....
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not a huge obsessive Dr Who fan, so have almost no interest in anything Who related other than watching it on TV. No fandom, internet forums, merchandising, DVD, CDs etc for me. I could not even tell you what actor was which "number" Doctor..

I say this because I just found out that the girl from the Christmas Special, the bride character, is coming back as a semi-regular?? The thing that I am rather stunned about here is that I have also found out that apparently this is a move that has pissed off a lot of the fanbase? How can that posibly be? Personally I found that character to be fantastic, and i was rather upset that she was not in the last series at all. I personally consider her FAR better a companion, better acted, and more realised a character than that annoying emo "why doesnt he love me" girl that he was stuck with.

To further distance myself from "fans" of the show.. David Tennant is not a patch on Chris Eccelson. The guy was simply brilliant in the role from episode one. Tennant still seems to be trying to find a way to fit into the role.

I did not know there was a Sarah Jane series until recently either. Really looking forward to seeing that. Hope they do not **** it up the way they did with Torchwood. The only decent thing about that show was Captain Jack, and he had barely nothing to do with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it makes you feel any better, I find it amusing that almost everyone apparently hates RTD.
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The Doctor Who Thread Reply with quote
Personbot wrote:
I only started watching Doctor Who on a whim at a mates place early last year with the re-runs ABC show in the evenings and then the new series when it aired later in the year. For years I knew Doctor Who existed but had no idea what it was about. After finally watching it I found it quite enjoyable and quickly became a fan.

It's a rather old post to be quoting but that's the way I got into Doctor Who myself, though for me I only really got into it this Saturday night...>.<
I have seen a couple of random episodes from across the series', namely a four episode story arc with Tom Baker (something about evil robots on a stranded spaceship or something...they kill people with their hands...) way back in June and I saw around five episodes of the new Season 2 with David Tennant. Oh, and I was persuaded by some friends to watch 'Blink' the other night, I though that episode was...interesting.
Regardless, my dad is enthralled that I'm suddenly interested in Doctor Who and is already planning to buy me DVD's for Christmas...
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hadn't seen an episode of Doctor Who, ever, until the one that aired on Foxtel (a repeat I'm guessing) with the fake gameshow where people apparently die.
yet throughout my childhood, my mother maintained that I loved doctor Who, and this was apparently a talking point amongst her friends when they discussed their children.
It's possible I had a Doctor Who novel at some point, but never read it.

Yet I was still familiar with Doctor Who pop culture reference (i.e.: Daleks) and when watching the aforementioned episode they finally made their appearance. My fiancee was astounded that I knew what they were.
I don't understand why. Everyone knows about Daleks.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
The thing that I am rather stunned about here is that I have also found out that apparently this is a move that has pissed off a lot of the fanbase?

Probably because, like all sane, rational people, the Doctor Who fanbase finds Catherine Tate intensely annoying.

I really hope they do something to make sure she's watchable, because I am not looking forward to season 4 otherwise.

What I'm really annoyed about, though, is that they wasted an opportunity for the Doctor to have his best companion since Ace in the shape of Martha.

Incidentally, the Sarah Jane thing is more a children's show than anything else.

Kermi wrote:
I hadn't seen an episode of Doctor Who, ever, until the one that aired on Foxtel (a repeat I'm guessing) with the fake gameshow where people apparently die.

Vengeance on Varos.
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
[..]

Vengeance on Varos.
no, it was one of the new series. It was the first of a double episode that I think ended a season. This week's episode (the first episode of a new season, I guess) was Christmas.
Majin Cell
Michelle Chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was the end of the first series of the new series where the Daleks had taken over the space station etc etc.
EbonP
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Majin Cell wrote:
It was the end of the first series of the new series where the Daleks had taken over the space station etc etc.

I think it was actually before the Daleks had taken over the space station, when it was being run by that big monster thing on the roof.

That ep was also the first ep that I saw in TV and was bloody awesome. Made me go and watch the rest of the series.
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
EbonP wrote:

I think it was actually before the Daleks had taken over the space station, when it was being run by that big monster thing on the roof.

That ep was also the first ep that I saw in TV and was bloody awesome. Made me go and watch the rest of the series.

The story started there, but the monster was only changing the news.

The Daleks were introduced on the station in the last two episodes.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Probably because, like all sane, rational people, the Doctor Who fanbase finds Catherine Tate intensely annoying.

I really hope they do something to make sure she's watchable, because I am not looking forward to season 4 otherwise.

I'd be the first to agree that she was really annoying, but she did have good chemistry with the Doctor. There is potential that if done right she could make an interesting almost enjoyable companion.

Hopefully her character will have grown since the last Christmas special and wont be so annoying.
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

I liked her, because she was like 'ho the bloody 'ell are you? instead of the usual OH DOCTOR I LOVE Y OU BUT YOU NEVER LOVE ME BACK
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I wasn't really meaning the character, I meant the "actress" herself.
El^Presidente
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah, she comes across as a bit of a knob, but the fact that she hated the doctor at first was awesome.

But then again, when Martha first said 'Cardiff' in episode 11, she sent my heart a flutter.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
What I'm really annoyed about, though, is that they wasted an opportunity for the Doctor to have his best companion since Ace in the shape of Martha.

I wonder if they've considered asking Sophie Aldred to make a comeback?
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ace could have made a really good reference point for developing Martha's character, but she has even less of a place in the current Doctor Who world than Sarah Jane Smith does. Ace is, in a lot of ways, the prototype for the companions that followed, from Bernice Summerfield all the way up to Rose and Martha herself.

She's not a character that can easily be reintroduced without breaking established canon.

On the other hand, I can come up with some pretty good reasons for bringing Bernice Summerfield back.
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I got hold of the second season of Doctor Who (that is, the David Tennant season with Rose) and I've watched a few episodes now...just for the sake of a little discussion can I ask what everyone's favourite episode is/was in the second season? Currently my favourite is 'The Girl In The Fireplace' but I've heard good things about other episodes too...
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I love "Girl in the Fireplace". However my favourite is the two parter, "The Impossible Planet" and the "Satan Pit".
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I watched the last episode of Dr Who and there is one question or theory that's bugging me that Captain Jack said he was known as the''Face of Boe".
Since Captain Jack Harkness is the first person to become a time agent in the future...but unknown agency...since not revealed yet.

But he was known as the "face of Boe" which is that "Big head in a jar" that is the Doctor's old friend and told him he wasn't the last Timelord.

But the question is Captain Jack the actual "the Face of Boe" of just nicknamed the face of boe because of he's immortality.
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:
Since Captain Jack Harkness is the first person to become a time agent in the future...but unknown agency...since not revealed yet.

The time agency's existence was actually revealled in classic Dr Who so it's not considered a mystery. And Jack wasn't their first agent, he was their first Agent recruited from a specific place, the Boeshame Peninsular (on the shores of the Silver Devestation in the Isop Galaxy)

SS3 Son Goku wrote:
But the question is Captain Jack the actual "the Face of Boe" of just nicknamed the face of boe because of he's immortality.

Leaving aside the question of whether or not the big head in a jar is a future version of Jack, you've got the order of events the wrong way around. Jack's 'Face of Boe' nickname predates (by his personal chronology) his immortality. The 'Face of Boe' nickname was becuase of the modelling work his did for Time Agency recruiting posters but he didn't become immortal until after he left the Agency and hooked up with Rose and the (Ninth) Doctor.

The scary thing is that if Jack is the Face of Boe, that means that he's going to have kids! Jack Harkness a parent? Your very scary thought for the day.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:
However my favourite is the two parter, "The Impossible Planet" and the "Satan Pit".

I second that.
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:
I love "Girl in the Fireplace". However my favourite is the two parter, "The Impossible Planet" and the "Satan Pit".

I watched that tonight, actually. It was odd...but the second part was quite brilliant. It had that awesome feeling of impending doom, it did...

Anyway, I was watching those episodes with my mother, and every five minutes she'd ask 'Are you sure the Daleks aren't in this episode?'. Apparently she was scared of the Daleks as a kid; now she finds them funny. Are the Daleks in the second season at all? I think I've heard they're in the 'Doomsday' episode, but for fear of hitting spoilers I've avoided checking Wikipedia etc.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Daleks have been in all three seasons so far.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
The time agency's existence was actually revealled in classic Dr Who so it's not considered a mystery.

Where? I can't think of it in the TV series, and the only organisation that I can think of from the NA/8D novels is Faction Paradox, an entity that seems to have been fairly deliberately avoided by the new TV series.

Am I missing something?
Knight of L-sama
Masamune Shirow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Going by Wikipeida the Time Agency that Jack used to belong to was referenced in the Classic Who serial 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang' though no actual Time Agents appeared.

The main villain of the serial was apparently on the run from the Agency.
Dimension
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The "Time Agency" could be a revived/reworked version of the CIA (Celestial Intervention Agency)?, Mentioned in the "Deadly Assassin".
Even though Jack isn't a Gallifreyan, It's a possiblitiy that the CIA employed non-Gallifreyan agents?

As for favoruite doctor, I'm a Hartnell fan.....I like his "Grumpy Grandpa", Plus Barabara and Ian were good companions, Susan was good too.....Though she needed to do some work on strengthening her ankles Wink
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knight of L-sama wrote:
Going by Wikipeida the Time Agency that Jack used to belong to was referenced in the Classic Who serial 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang' though no actual Time Agents appeared.

The main villain of the serial was apparently on the run from the Agency.

The thing, is though, that in that story, it's pretty much throwaway backstory that doesn't really have any great consequence to the Doctor Who universe.

That said, Talons of Weng-Chiang is one of the best Doctor Who stories ever, and one of it's great strengths is the richness of its backstory.

(In fact, if you only ever watch one classic Doctor Who serial in your life, make it either Talons of Weng-Chiang or Caves of Androzani, both of which are perfect examples of what made Doctor Who great in the first place.)

EDIT: A quick bit of research reveals that the Time Agency is far more important than I first thought. They turn up in a sequel novel to Talons, as well as a small number of Eighth Doctor stories. One of these (Eater of Wasps) implies that, because of the events of The Ancestor Cell (ie, the Time War), humanity acquired time travel capabilities, which would have then allowed them to set up the time agency.

Of course, the canonicity of non-TV events is questionable (though I really wish NA/8D books were canon.)
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dimension wrote:
Susan was good too.....Though she needed to do some work on strengthening her ankles Wink

Thats true.

I was watching the Five Doctors story the other day and while running from Cybermen Susan sprains her ankle while the Aussie companion of the 5th Doctor (can't think of her name right now) runs away perfectly fine and she was wearing heals.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tegan.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doctor Five(Peter Davison) and Doctor Ten(David Tennant) will meet in a special episode to air with the "Children in Need" charity event on November 19, entitled "Time Crash", and written by Steven Mofatt.

Looks as if Doc five should have eaten that celery instead of wearing it.
Dimension
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thats interesting...Though I would have prefered an 8th/10th doctor meetup.

I just hope it's better, Than the 6th/2nd doctor story "The Two Doctors"
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So it'll be like those other "(Insert Number Here) Doctors" stories? Sounds fun.

I bought a couple of Doctor Who novels over the weekend. Some of them are pretty interesting, but some of the authors seem to portray the characters in ways I wouldn't really relate to the show. They're fun reads though.

And I can't wait for the Seaon 3 box. It out December sometime here, right?
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
5th of December. Smile
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should have got Sylvester McCoy, IMO.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess this rules out a multi doctor Christmas special then.

I first got into Doctor Who watching Peter Davison's Doctor so this one should be fun.

I hope they play some cricket since both of these Doctors have shown off their cricketing skills.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first official pictures of a Sontaran.

You really wouldn't think that's Mike from the Young Ones.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's about the closest they've come yet to matching the appearance of a traditional villain.
Dimension
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally, I've been waiting for the Sontarans to return.

Great Picture.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, even though the BBC hasn't officially announced it, Captain Jack Harkness will be in Series 4 at some point, and this comes directly from Captain Jack himself, John Barrowman.
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm guessing it'll be connected with Martha's return to the series.

Page 2 of 24

Jump to: