Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Marello DVD :(

Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Marello DVD :(
Author
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Mysterious Geographic Explorations of Jasper Marello DVD :( Reply with quote
I just recently discovered Madman has released this DVD with Greek, French, Korean, Japanese, Portuguese, and Spanish subtitles but no English subtitles. I'm a hearing impaired viewer, and need the English subtitles to be able to watch this DVD. The timing has already been done for the other languages, so it would hardly take any time at all for someone to simply type up the English ones too. There are plenty of people out there who are hearing impaired, and other people who like the English subtitles also.

My hearing friends have told me how good this film is, and from the looks of it is seems very interesting and artistic. I would have loved to watch it, but unfortunately I, as well as thousands of other hearing impaired Australians, won't be able to.

Some day I hope the people at Madman will finally realise the needs of hearing impaired people.
MADMAN FILMS
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Japer DOES have English subtitles Reply with quote
This great film DOES have English subtitles. It's mentioned on the techspecs on the back of the slick and is the first subtitle option on the menus. If you get a chance, have a look at the DVD and post your feedback on the film.

Where available we do try to add English subtitles to our releases but they are often not available for English films. Also, I'd like your feedback on whether or not you would prefer English subtitles as captions for the hearing impaired, or simply traditional subtitles.
Ziusudra
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Thankyou for clearing this up for me. Reply with quote
Thankyou for clarifying that. You know I would not have considered purchasing the DVD until you reassured me that it does have English subtitles. I was simply going by the Madman website, which was linked directly from the official Jasper Morello website, and on the Madman site it doesn't list an English subtitle option.

I am glad the DVD has English subtitles now, and I will buy it soon and let everyone know what I think. I'm also looking forward to meeting Anthony Lucas at Supanova Brisbane, which looks to be a lot of fun!

As for captions VS subtitles, it depends on whether the DVD is widescreen or fullscreen, film or animation. With fullscreen TV shows, and animated features, captions with a black background are much easier for us to read. For example, the captions on my Family Guy DVDs are easier to read than the subtitles on my Futurama DVDs. Plain subtitles aren't so bad on widescreen films, as they're usually darker than bright animation, and when the subs are in the black bars below the picture, it makes it easier to read. I have a 4x3 TV though, so I'm not sure if they're worse on a 16x9 TV when the subtitles could be more over the picture.

In any case, I personally prefer the captions, even though it blocks out a little more of the picture behind, they're much easier to read.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: