Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

What made you like One Piece?

What made you like One Piece?
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: What made you like One Piece? Reply with quote
Thought I'd prod a bit of conversation out of this lonely One Piece board Surprised

I just wanted to see how everyone here first got in to One Piece and what made them stick with it (It seems to be a very love/hate series, you either get it or you don't).

For me, I must sadly admit that it was a Sanji figure that made me get into One Piece Laughing. I'd heard about One Piece before and I saw the Portrait of Pirates figures for sale on a website. I really wanted to get the Sanji one, but I knew very little about the series and had never really bothered to look in to it before; the Art style and everything about it was unusual compared to other anime and manga. So, I set about reading the manga, finding out more about the characters and what OP was all about. Around the Baratie arc I really started to like it, but it was the Arlong arc that broke into it for me. I've been keeping up with the original anime and manga since then (And my figures have since expanded to include Sanji, Ace, Robin, Zoro and Nami; still trying to track down a Luffy.)

I think the one thing I really love about One Piece, and why I keep coming back to it time and again, is that Oda has created such a rich world; fully of great characters, places, and the adventures they all have. It just has this infectious sense of fun and whimsy about it that I really like. And Oda's art style really grows on you; his colour spreads are whacky awesome fun.

So, what got YOU into One Piece, and what do you like best about it?
Suterusu
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think that what got me into the anime was the idea of a swordsman who is the master of the 3 sword technique. when I heard about that I just had to check it out. And the fact that Zolo has green hair and left his pirate hunting job to become a pirate is, well, a bonus. But I still wan tto know more about the dude who gave Lufie his straw hat...
"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views."
- Squall Lionheart -
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's just an entertaining series, in Japanese that is, but I wont start an argument. However, I much prefer the manga
Kimiko
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stealth Alchemist: Shanks? Yeah, he's an interesting character. Lots of curious bits of info about him in the manga, so It'll be cool to see what happens to him as the story progresses.

Gir: Haha, I know what you mean. I could also rant at length about the English dub version, but I think that particular arguement has been done to death by the fans of the Japanese original. Perhaps we can hope for unedited versions in the future. I keep up with the manga, but I don't have a particular preference for either version. The Anime is pretty faithful, and the voice actors do a great job of it. Sometimes I prefer the anime because I get too caught up in reading the manga so I rush through it. The anime makes me stop and take everything in, which is nice. However, in that respect I also see the anime as more of a compliment to the manga, so if I had to choose I would go with Oda's original.
Dragon.vs.Phoenix
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
what got me to watch it was the rave it was getting for my mates so i checked it out and i think it is the whole pirates and ninjas thing what a mix
piratescratch
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good question. Now why did I pick up One Piece in the first place?

Well the great cast of characters (as mentioned), and easy fun going pace made me stick with it. But the reason I started reading the manga in the first place .., curiosity? Yes most likely, I wanted to see what the whole fuss was about with the series and why it garnered all this attention. Well I'm glad I decided to invest some time into this series, it easily became one of my favourites.
Hagane_Gir
Gally

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The first time I ever saw this was in Shonen Jump manga...
It was during the Kuro saga. So the hypnotist kinda creeped me out cos i thought he was either gay or a girl. but eventually i read it (after a year or so) and now i like it.,
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Once I saw Zoro with three swords and a bandana I think I was hooked on it.

Unfortunately I'm a bit angry that they changed Zoro's name in both manga and anime.

they could at least kept he's name as originally as possible in the manga since it's SUPPOSE to be ORIGINAL.

In every forum people say ZORO ....BUT NEVER SAY ZOLO since people keep there word to the original...

Since why I like One Piece well it has intense fight scenes which is quite bloody in the manga...but also it's funny NOTICE: the EYE POPING JAGGERED TEETH humour when someone gets mad...is a bit like Naruto when it comes to humour.

SO YEAH I like the art work in one piece.
The artist of one piece is a fan of Akira toriyama's (DBZ, Dr Slump) work so he gets he's ideas for humour off him.

I don't collect One piece manga or anime....but I do have a few chapters of One piece manga in Shonen Jump magazine.

Maybe later I will collect One piece manga....one it gets towards the end I think...it is 40 something volumes already which is A LOT and english is up to volume 9 or 10 which is a lot to go.

If I knew the entire story NOW I would probably like it more but I don't know much into the story arcs as of yet.

It's like saying if you knew the entire story of One Piece from start to finish you probably apreciate it more since you know how it finishes....But I don't know since it is a HATE and love relationship with One Piece since you don't know if the story goes from bad to worse or good to even better.

One Piece does have WACKY characters that do kinda turn you off one piece almost all together but some characters like Mihawk and Shanks make you want to know more about them.

So it does have low points for strange WACKY characters and good points for mysterious characters.
piratescratch
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SS3 Son Goku wrote:
One Piece does have WACKY characters that do kinda turn you off one piece almost all together but some characters like Mihawk and Shanks make you want to know more about them.

So it does have low points for strange WACKY characters and good points for mysterious characters.

Oda is certainly a tease, dropping in characters like Mihawk, Ace, Aokiji, Whitebeard, Dragon just to name a few, just to entice you but never revealing much or anything about them. I for one am looking forward to Ace's return whenever that may be.

Oh but I love the wacky characters also, like that ramen chef that Sanji takes on in the train.
Raven Xavier
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
4 years ago when I was in Japan for the first time I saw people reading this manga so I bought it, read it (with great difficulty with it being in Japanese) then went home and it has been my favourite ever since.
Kimiko
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
piratescratch wrote:

Oh but I love the wacky characters also, like that ramen chef that Sanji takes on in the train.

I love the bit where he copies Usopp Laughing. His expression cracks me up. I like the whacky characters too; One Piece wouldn't be quite the same without that particular style of Oda craziness.

Ravien Xavier: That's a while ago~ (Well, I only got into it a year and a half ago...) What arc was that during?
Psyprass
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I first heard of One Piece, it was at school, and one of my friends was showing me this bizarre picture of a penguin or something painting a portrait, while Luffy, Sanji and Chopper were sitting in the background snoring, with snot bubbles coming out of their noses. I got the first few episodes, but it took me a while to get into it.

It's now my favorite anime. I just love the sense of freedom and wacky adventures that this cast of amazing characters embark on. They're also very inspirational people, as outrageous as they are. They're not afraid to be themselves, they don't trouble themselves with petty problems, and most of all they employ admirable determination in following dreams.

With a lot of the characters they meet on their journeys, the series portrays how ordinarily trivial things (like a pet-food shop or cooking food for others) can mean so much to someone; one doesn't have to possess an invaluable item, be famous and successful or earned some grand title to have become great within. I like how it focuses on the value of many so-called ordinary professions (doctors, cooks, divers) and how dedicated people are to them, rather than something more conventionally ambitious such as warriors and rulers.

www.psyprass.deviantart.com
Raven Xavier
Usagi Tsukino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kimiko wrote:
[..]

I love the bit where he copies Usopp Laughing. His expression cracks me up. I like the whacky characters too; One Piece wouldn't be quite the same without that particular style of Oda craziness.

Ravien Xavier: That's a while ago~ (Well, I only got into it a year and a half ago...) What arc was that during?

When I saw it on Tv they were just up to the first Rogue Town ep. I'm not sure what issue of manga they were.
mad chichi
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well wit me first i read de manga! ma friend from japan got me into it and from de start of de anime i liked it de original Japanese dat is coz i cried when i saw de dub one so so so sad and de music" somthing from de guma guma gum??????? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but even dat didn't deter me tho i stuck to de original ANYWAY!!!!!!!!! it's gr8 coz it has a variety of diff personalities and it's just a crack up! everything bout it and it has gr8 meaning in the contex so it's # 1 for me Very Happy

" i think one superhero is enough for today"
"Maketakunai Shi, Nakitakunai Shi, Waratte-tai kara" MOVIN MOVIN

"MADA MADA DANE" ^_^
Ashen Shugar
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
A few years back I became interested in it because people were calling it the next DBZ. When I eventually got to see it, I was rather impressed by how well the characters interacted with each other and the unique powers they had. So a little while down the line I picked up some of the TV episode. Now I've seen everything up to Crocodile's dimise twice and just about everything beyond that. One Piece is without a doubt, one of the best Shonen ever.

I saw a clip of Luffy vs Crocodile (round 1) dubbed recently. It just shows you how crap voices, poorly written dialogue and rediculously bad music can completely destroy something so awesome.
SPIDERCARNAGE
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm

Well I got into OP when I was searching throng one of the on campus peoples machines at Deakin Uni while I was waiting for a practical to start, I read the first 2 chapters and I though it was pretty interesting, that weekend I ended up reading 28 volumes and I become a huge fan of the manga ever since then. Which reminds me the currant story ark absolutely kicks ass!!

I guess the reason why I love OP so much is because itís very funny; I love the characters {especially Sanji and Zoro} and I always been a big fighting anime and manga fan, this was right up my ally. I also love the special attacks that they characters come up with such as Sanji naming his attacks after different cooking foodís and styles and so on.
filter
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i dont mind one peice when its on i watch it, i think i like the style of the anime and i like loopys bro. cant think of his name lol...
SPIDERCARNAGE
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
filter wrote:
i dont mind one peice when its on i watch it, i think i like the style of the anime and i like loopys bro. cant think of his name lol...

I actually canít tell if you are being sarcastic or is you are serious? I pray to kami-sama that you are being sarcastic!
TheHeadSage
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SPIDERCARNAGE wrote:
[..]

I actually canít tell if you are being sarcastic or is you are serious? I pray to kami-sama that you are being sarcastic!

Your prayers are in vain.

I just like One Piece because it's awesome, and from the recent manga chapters, it's only going to get better from here.

Although I can't wait for the rest of the CP9 fights to be animated..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SPIDERCARNAGE
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sage I know that my prayers are in vain, but the reason why I pray for him is the amount of flaming that he will receive from me for liking the TV version which by the way I caught some of this morning.

Saw the fright between Sanji and Mr2, why dose Sanji sound like a complete and other retard? Seriously he sounds like he is slow. As well as for the first time I saw the lollypop to my horror.

Man i cant wait for the new chapter of OP to come out!
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't mind the visual or name changes...

It's more the hacked script they use - where they mangled the story and character development and that...
SPIDERCARNAGE
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Man I cant stand the bad horrible voice actors, the badly edited out guns and blood and Usops voice just drives me nuts. Not to mention the blatant attempt to make it a kiddy show when itís clearly not meant to be for kids.

The reason why I love OP is because itís not meant to be for kids, itís really fun, the character interactions are great and the awesome fight scenes filed with blood and pain! Not to mention the cool attack names.
Dark()Shinobi
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was taken over by one piece because of its wonderful animation and all around good fun. I thought the story was very well thought out.
kathal
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i <3 pirates
filter
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i like the style and this dude come to our school he did the manga for one piece in magazines and it looked awsum so i thought i might watch a bit lol and i luv it Very Happy
J.R.
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
My daughter was all over it (due to her friends at school liking it) so she made me watch it, but I have always like pirates, and the idea of superpowered pirates is pretty cool (I remember a John Byrne art book where he had drawn Superman as a pirate captain and it always stuck with me as a cool idea)
J.R.
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
...and I stuck with it cause it is SO wacky!!
Cobizah
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My cousin had one of the manga and I read it and loved it! (vol. 10)
Malicious_Ninja
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most likely because it was diffrent
filter
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i just love the style Very Happy

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: