Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Top Gear: The car discussion thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Top Gear: The car discussion thread.
Author
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, there is rFactor which i believe has a version of the Top gear track but that depends if you're into racing games on PC or not.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A friend pointed me to this amusing post on an Audi forum. It's a Google cache link, so I'll preserve the original post here...

Powerd1.8T on AudiForums.com wrote:
Hey guys, I've got a 98 1.8T. I've had a k04 and chip for a while and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Hondas and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the car. We had to hold the gas so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold.
I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK as long as we didn't make boost and it get sucked in the turbo. After running the car and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 25 lb bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the car back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. We took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises.
Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My buddy only does Hondas so he doesn't know much about Audis.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hahaha oh wow.

I just gotta wonder how dumb you have to be to do that, more so with a friend!

If it was a joke or not, i had a lol either way

also Aussie top gear presenters have been announced
Quote:

After months of interviews, the three were tonight revealed as the hosts of the Australian version of the hit BBC TV program at a function in Sydney.

Cox, Brown and Pizzati beat more than 4000 others for the chance to front the program, which will premiere on SBS after the Olympics this year.

The first version outside the UK, the show features three enthusiasts test driving and brutally appraising the world's most popular cars and performing stunts.

SBS director of content Matt Campbell said it was a difficult task to pick the final three but was confident they had found a winning combination.

"We have chosen three totally different and entertaining personalities who have a natural chemistry that works,'' Campbell said.

All the hosts have a deep passion for motoring.

Currently a motorsport commentator for the BBC, Cox, 47, is known for his classic one-liners.

He worked in radio in Sydney in the 1980s before moving to the UK where he won several motor racing titles in the 1990s and was involved in a near life-ending crash in 1995.

Brown, in his mid-40s, is best known for his work as a cartoonist and motoring columnist for The Daily Telegraph, but also has a passion for historic cars.

The third host, Steve Pizzati, is the youngest of the bunch, in his mid 30s.

He is an advanced driving instructor, freelance motoring journalist and a race driver for Porsche Australia.

Sydney Morning Herald motoring editor Josh Dowling will act as the motor industry consultant.

The Australian Top Gear will have a distinctly "Australian feel'' while still being based on the format made popular in the UK where it is led by Jeremy Clarkson.
Top Gear managing director Adam Waddell praised Aussie presenters.

"A show like Top Gear doesn't resonate with a huge global audience just because people love cars,'' he said.

"The world's most entertaining car show's popularity owes much to the relationship between its three presenters.

"In Charlie, Warren and Steve, Top Gear Australia now has its own team - three guys who possess the spirit of Top Gear whilst having their own distinct personalities.''

SBS was bombarded with entries for the job, picking from 4000 DVD entrants followed by months of interviews and screen tests.

Among those hoping to score the job are believed to be former beauty queen and motorbike enthusiast Laura Csortan and former Escape With ET reporter Michelle Walsh.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23773782-2,00.html?from=public_rss
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Woohoo! New Top Gear tonight! Very Happy
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
While I love Captain Slow, especially after this latest episode where they go in search of the worlds best driving road (which they got wrong. Its in Australia. Most likely the Blue Mountains area around Katoomba somewhere I'd Say. Either that, or the roads in and out of Lake Mountain / Bright in Victoria) I have to say...

... I miss Steven.

Anyone know why he left and James May came in? Steven actually seemed to have a specific role, with a specific focus and really knew his stuff. James is just there to be an entertaining knob.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
While I love Captain Slow, especially after this latest episode where they go in search of the worlds best driving road (which they got wrong. Its in Australia. Most likely the Blue Mountains area around Katoomba somewhere I'd Say. Either that, or the roads in and out of Lake Mountain / Bright in Victoria) I have to say...

... I miss Steven.

Anyone know why he left and James May came in? Steven actually seemed to have a specific role, with a specific focus and really knew his stuff. James is just there to be an entertaining knob.

He's the middle man, the straight character ... pretty much a foil to the other two manic rev-heads.

And end of the day, as bizarre as it sounds, the show is less about the technical details of the cars than it is the sheer entertainment of driving. As if to prove the point, the current TG isn't even the original format (not even those shown on SBS) ... but it simply didn't earn any ratings prior to the current format and triumvirate...
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Meh, its not about the entertainment of Driving. It can't be because I love the show and I cant stand driving. I know virtually nothing about cars, and personally I think I know too much. I watch the show for the way the three men Jell, and the really cheesy, staged, rubbish "reviews" etc are done. It is almost as if the whole show it a pisstake of itself! That is why I watch it.

In that reguard, yeah, I guess Steven's significance is rather pointless. It is a shame tho, cos I really liked the guy. I still laugh about the time they tested the Electronic car and put it up againt Steven on foot. lol. One of the TG funniest moments ever. Staged or not, a rubber chicken will always be a rubber chicken. Steven was good at his job, and a genuinely charasmatic, nice guy.

James is fantastic, don't get me wrong. Like Most Aussies I was James before Steven, but when they started showing the "origin" shows (despite the fact it sems it had been going many years prior to that in a different studio or osmething) I got this almost instant liking for the re-runs. Yes they did not have the "banter" quite right yet, but it was an xlnt show. It still is, its just a .. different sort of xlnt, and I can't help but think the Steven years had a bit more tongue in cheek honesty that appealed to me a little more than the .. well.. the really funny "fart joke boy show" it is today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
James May is the man's man, and you should respect that.

By the way, you should check out Jame's May's 20th Century if you haven't already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unless its a DVD, meh. Reading eats into precious Gaming and DVD watching time. Not to mention life critical Internet time.

All three of them have had books. Jeremy Clarkson's last (I think) was called "and another thing", which is possibly the greatest bio or observationist book title ever. Very Happy
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
Unless its a DVD, meh. Reading eats into precious Gaming and DVD watching time. Not to mention life critical Internet time.

Books have battery lives that puts your DS to shame. Best portable entertainment going.

[the cartridges are a bit big, though].

HeDanny wrote:
All three of them have had books. Jeremy Clarkson's last (I think) was called "and another thing", which is possibly the greatest bio or observationist book title ever. Very Happy

Yes, but Jeremy Clarkson's such a tremendous wanker even the other poms can't stand him.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soo.. The first episode of Top Gear Australia was just on tonight.

oh dear.

There is only one thing they needed to get right. Likable wankers. Nothing else mattered, and the rest was virtually a carbon copy. The only thing that mattered, they buggered up.

Two Professional drivers and a cartoonist? They did not even have a personality between them.

Genius move to leave the "Ford Vs Holden" until next week. Now they know at least people watched the first two eps before permanently changing channel.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually found the show to be quite enjoyable. They are using a tried and tested format right now and they will move on to more. Considering that they had to try and live upto the chemestry that Clarkson, Hammond and May have built up over many years they did well. I hope that they do well, as I found that in some places the Australian edition was more enjoyable than the original. But its a different beast that'll grow over time. Although you just know on the new Top Gear episodes Clarkson will have something to say about it.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I only half-watched the first episode while I was playing WoW. Seems like it could be entertaining enough; it's just that the Clarkson team are a pretty tough act to follow.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
At first I was surprised at just how closely they copied the original show, but as it went on, I realised why they'd done it.

Top Gear is such a successful show due to its format, so why mess with that? In fact, I think this is why our TG will succeed where the US one didn't.

The three presenters were actually pretty good. The young guy is probably the weakest of them, but I think that's mostly inexperience (Warren Brown is the most experienced TV presenter of the three, from memory). Taking the British format and dropping three Australians in it worked better than I think I expected it to.

This show really has potential for greatness, and I am looking forward to future episodes.

Long live Top Gear Australia!

Oh, and word on the street is that The Stig is Jason Bargwanah (or however you spell his last name.)

Oh, and the digs at TGUK were pretty funny.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I expect Top Gear UK and Top Gear Australia to be constantly taking potshots at each other.
garrethking
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
When is it on?
Cannibal Bob
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wasn't bad. The extent to which they copied the UK version seemed jarring at first but I got used to it.

The shark cage car thing seemed a little too forced, like it was thought up by someone trying desperately to come up with a 'wacky Top Gear Stunt'.

That said I was happy they didn't do the tired old Ford vs Holden thing.

Then I saw what they're doing next week. Rolling Eyes
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
garrethking wrote:
When is it on?

7:30 Mondays.

HimuraBattousai wrote:
I expect Top Gear UK and Top Gear Australia to be constantly taking potshots at each other.

As do I. I can't wait to see it, it'll be nice when they do that.

Cannibal Bob wrote:
That said I was happy they didn't do the tired old Ford vs Holden thing.

Then I saw what they're doing next week. Rolling Eyes

Well it is Australia so why not?
dl
Koishi Herikawa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty good. Very Australian but not cringe inducing. The production values were up to spec so SBS must have spent some money on it. They knocked the set off completely. It's only the first episode so it could become great.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

Oh, and word on the street is that The Stig is Jason Bargwanah (or however you spell his last name.)

Bargwanna.

Being in short stature i wouldn't doubt it.

Anyhoo my thoughts:

Pretty similar to the UK counterpart but in this case it's more of a good thing than a bad thing, though i did feel like i was just watching the UK show only with aussie accents but that being said, i like it so far.

I was actually hoping the 4wd would have some sort of crash after it took air on the dune.

As far as presenters go, I like them even if they all seem to be in one way or another some sort of "clone" of the UK lot but hopefully they'll develop as their own and have their own thing.

I agree with everyone else in terms of camera work on the track, I actually thought it was just the stretch of the runway with a few chicanes and such put in place to start with.

"What were they thinking" wall? yeah what were they thinking =p but it's something different from the UK show which is a plus as you can't have everything the same, maybe it'll bring up interesting tidbits as the show goes on.

Overall, good show and i hope it only gets better from here on.

As far as the Holden vs Ford thing, really it had to be done and more so early on just to get it out of the way IMO
Viking
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awww it's cute that you weren't expecting the local version to be as much of a carbon-copy of the original as possible.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
it's more "hoping it wouldn't be a direct carbon-copy" rather than not expecting. Just from the first ep you can see it's differences in which it can differentiate itself from the UK version (albeit not that many at the moment Razz)

You have to take what made the UK one a success as it is and more or less transplant it but also give it its own flavour as well.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
But the three hosts are useless. I am pretty sure everyone expected the carbon copy. That happens with almost every TV show. Always has. Temptation is probably a good early example. The show was Identical when it went overseas. Just different faces.

Thats where I think TGA failed. The three people have no charisma. I don't watch Top gear for the show. I could not care less about cars. What I watch it for is those three pommy wankers. They are the only appeal of the show.

How on earth, out of all of Australia, they could not find three charasmatic wankers (especially wankers who like cars, cos thats most of them) better than those Personality vacuums that are doing the show now is unbelievable.

Vince Colossimo should never have been on the show. He just amplified how rediculous the choices were. The guy who mows my lawns would be done a better job than any of those three. I can bet I could scout the pubs and Car wreckers just in my incredibly small country town and find three morons who are more charismatic than those three.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
Vince Colossimo should never have been on the show. He
\just amplified how rediculous the choices were. The guy who mows my lawns would be done a better job than any of those three. I can bet I could scout the pubs and Car wreckers just in my incredibly small country town and find three morons who are more charismatic than those three.

What was wrong with Vince Collossimo being on the show?
Cannibal Bob
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Schmavid wrote:
[..]

What was wrong with Vince Collossimo being on the show?

I think what HeDanny was saying is that Vince made the hosts' lack of personality even more obvious.
isk8er
Ranpha Franboise

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
But the three hosts are useless.

I agree. And sure, the rest of the show is a carbon copy, but why did they have to try to equate the presenters too? It's terribly obvious that the aim was to copy the personality types on the UK show, and it just doesn't work. Surely they could have found three vastly more interesting presenters with at least a teensy weensy bit of rapport (which I find is patently lacking with these three).

Anyway... I completely and utterly hated the show. Sure, you all say the 'tried and tested format' works well, but honestly, what the hell is the point of making an entirely new show when it's exactly the same as another show? Oh, apart from the two minutes each episode they will spend talking about Australian cars. Neutral

Needless to say, I won't feel any particular urge to tune in next week.

Need an avatar? PM me if you want to use one!
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not overly impressed ... seems like a lot of effort to recreate something which is already available (and definitely better).

It's still early days but the hosts were a bit forced ... the cartoonist guy was basically useless and the other two just seemed to be competing for who could be the biggest "larrikin". Of course this is something that can be improved as they grow into their own style, but will be interesting to see if they improve enough to justify a second season.

As for the cars and tests ... completely missed the point. Complete lack of criticism of the cars tested (doesn't have to condemn, but then it can't be that perfect!), "challenge" was just a couple of speed tests (so what ... you only buy soft-wheelers for racing? and again no criticism) and the shark cage think was, well, nothing (why would a shark try and bite something big, hard and square? Just an excuse for creative camera-work). And yeah, I know I mentioned criticism a few times, but that's why TGUK was so good ... you knew they weren't "sponsored" accolades and kept the reviews real despite the price-tags.

I'll still watch it for a few more weeks, but all I can add is that I hope this doesn't replace the original completely no our screens!
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
To be honest, I don't think it's any worse than the first season of the new-format UK Top Gear. That season was so forgettable, in fact, that few people realise James May wasn't on it. (He replaced Jason Dawe in the second season.)

The UK Top Gear didn't really start to peak until around season four, which is about when the established format we know and love came to be. Watch the early seasons if you get a chance: It's quite different to what you might know if you only ever watched it on SBS.

It's also worth pointing out that they've actually scaled back the presenters cocking about stuff in later seasons. Following Richard Hammond's accident, they've made a somewhat more conscious effort to be a lot more of a car show and a lot less a "three poms cocking about" show. The last season even had an entire episode about cars.

In the end, TG is still a show about cars, and all the other stuff is just fluff on top of that.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't mind it myself. Seems like it'll get better.

And honestly, how can you expect to see the chemistry the British guys have after just one episode? Wait a while. They'll get into their groove.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pretty sure, at least in this thread, most people knew about James and Jason. Considering they have been discussed previously.

UK s1 was entertaining.

At least to me, its not a show about cars. Its a show about three UK dorks talking about cars. There is a difference.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah.

Speaking of Top Gear, James May has a new TV series out called "James May's Big Ideas". It's pretty good, so far.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Speaking of Top Gear, James May has a new TV series out called "James May's Big Ideas". It's pretty good, so far.

When's it on and whats it about?
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
James may new show plays on SBS on sundays its about ideas and inventions that help our lives in the late 20th century . Still early yet about topgear australia only on ep down hope it gets better.
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Schmavid wrote:
[..]

When's it on and whats it about?

Sunday nights on 8:30 ... been pretty good actually, and enjoying his understated style/humor

And fair call about the commentators .. I'm probably being a bit harsh so it'll be good to see how they grow into the show
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, after seeing the second episode of Top Gear Australia I am still really enjoyig it. The Holden vs Ford segment was thankfully short and you could see that it was put in to appease the racing buffs. So lets bring on next week.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tonight's episode was a vast improvement over last week, I thought (and remember, I liked last week's episode).

The Holden Vs. Ford segment was really awesome (I loved the way they hated on FWD cars), the ute race in the mine was great and even Warren's thing with the Smart hearse was much better than his shark thing last week,

The presenters seemed a bit more like themselves this week, and less like they were trying to be Clarkson, May and Hammond. Cox is probably the weakest of the presenters so far, but I'm confident he can work on that.

The show has a lot going for it. "Being Australian" is a huge advantage for them in terms of locations and things to do. The utes in the mine was a great example of what an Aussie Top Gear has access to, and I think this could wind up being a huge advantage. Unlike TGUK, they've got an entire continent to muck about with, and one that is much less uptight about blokes hooning around in cars (except, perhaps, for some of the more uptight areas of Sydney and Melbourne.)

I stand by my claim that this has a lot of potential.
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't really like Charlie's voice doing lap commentaries, but thumbs up to this week's Warren Brown's Krazy KonceptŪ; his segment improved. Little motoring info, but at least there was feedback, however little, from those in the business. Last week's was more of a "because we can" idea.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree, the Krazy Koncept was much improved this week. It'll probably take Warren a while to get in to his stride of concepts that are good and bad for his segment so I can't wait to see whats comming next week.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually laughed a few times this week. That was an improvement. I still think the three of them combined have the charasma of a dried turd, but at least this week there were a few funnies.

So do you think they will ever have an opinion on anything? Or is the show too reliant on the Sponsorship? I mean TGUK already covered the FordGT didn't they? I seem to recall two of them hated it, and one bought it, which then took Ford over a year to deliver, and he then sold it after two years of constant problems and spending more time in the repair than in the garage or on the road.

It gets my irritation up that the two "drivers" seem to yell all the time? Or talk REALLY LOUD. There is no need for that. Relax guys. Talk normally. Oh and lose the forced colloquialism. You are Australians. We get it. Now get over it.

Steve Bisley was awesome, as always. I love that guy. Top 5 Aussie celebs (well, actors) ever imo. Again, the guest totally showed up the host.

Last edited by HeDanny on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I quite liked the Ford vs Holden part; it was actually about cars, and things that people who like cars might actually be interested in (what they felt like, how they braked, etc), while still including the fun stuff. The utes in the mine was a laugh as well (considering we have jumbuck utes at work).
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
So do you think they will ever have an opinion on anything?

This is something that concerns me a bit too. It's becoming something of an elephant in the room as the show progresses.

SBS are probably the ones to blame for it, though. The network has reached a low point with its advertising, I think.
Orion159
Melfina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
[..]

This is something that concerns me a bit too. It's becoming something of an elephant in the room as the show progresses.

SBS are probably the ones to blame for it, though. The network has reached a low point with its advertising, I think.

As I said in my last set of posts this is my biggest concern ... for example the Holden Ford thing was semi-entertaining but without a winner (or even conflicting individual preferences) it sort of becomes pointless and a bit redundant.

Last night was much better though, and the mines thing was classic TG. Still not sold on Warren Brown though ... just seems like an obligatory "funny" guy to balance out the group, except he doesn't extend much beyond puns. I would have been more impressed with the Krazy Koncept if they had of buried the Smart car along with the coffin. But then the other two aren't stellar yet either ... still a bit forced and even surreal in that they're not just trying to mimic the UK crew, but also highlight they are "Ahwstraylun".

Bisley was brilliant, so definitely no failing with their selection of celebs so far.
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't understand why there had to be a "winner" for the Holden vs Ford. They gave the strengths and weaknesses, if you can't decide what 'wins' out of that for you, then maybe you're doing it wrong.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TBH, Fords and Holdens are basically just as crap as each other (though I'll admit the new ones are pretty cool).
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Watched it today (taped it) and i rather enjoyed it, though missed the first 10 mins, caught the Ford GT lap though.

IMO typical Top Gear almost, with aussie flavour. Lol'd when one of the fellas (one in the nissan) wrecked his tailgate when doing the mine race thingy.
Presenters still need a little working on but i'm sure they'll find their thing at some point, it still is early goings.

Holden V Ford thing was good IMO, never really took definite sides

Smart hearse? yeah a little silly that bit Razz
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This thread is now about James May, and the utterly brilliant show he's running at the moment called James May's Big Ideas. The second episode is a simply fascinating look into the world of robotics and artificial intelligence.
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
after watching tonights episode, i reckon it's getting better. they also seem alittle bit more relaxed.

i assumed everyone noticed the dig TG Au took at the brits last week and again this week? (the written off bugatti and the roundabouts) maybe if they keep at it they might have a TG Au vs TG UK challange, now that would be awesome! Very Happy

the 'paddock bashing' was enjoyable too. i mean, who hasn't had the pleasure of doing that before? if not, go out and do it. like right now. other example of what TG Au can do that others can not.
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tonight was a vast improvement over the first two.

It's probably worth noting that it's the first episode put together after the series started airing, so it's the first one where criticism has been taken on board.
Schmavid
Eikichi Onizuka

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree with whats already been said. The future of Top Gear Australia is looking bright. I'm interested in seeing what the bowls with the Astra's will be like next week.
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The paddock bash was awsome feel sorry for the general lee station wagon getting bashed by the others. third episone was better the show will only i hope improve with time cant wait to see the astra lawn balls challange.

Page 7 of 9

Jump to: