Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Top Gear: The car discussion thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Top Gear: The car discussion thread.
Author
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dante wrote:
so nobody found it absolutely hilarious when they were trying to get stuff into the car from up in the scissor lift? Laughing

I watched the show today; that had me in stitches. Especially when he brought up the chicken. The way he played Skaife with the track time was priceless, too. You could see the absolute shock on his face. And I really appreciated the walkthrough of the test track.

I thought it was quite a good episode. I think the only thing that needs tweeking is that it feels like things could be done a bit faster, there's a bit too much time spent lingering. But as the guys get used to bouncing off each other more (especially with a new guy) it'll improve. They're a lot better than last season at it.
Cannibal Bob
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did anyone hear that old lady bogan laugh during the reversing race introduction?

Bogans; my mortal enemies. Evil or Very Mad
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great episode. The electric car race was hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jimbo
Kuu

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes it was so funny and warren won too slowly ranking up wins and braging rights cant wait for the next ep.
TidalWave_Jeannette
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Nihao! Reply with quote
Same here! BTW, I think so far no network has done a Top Gear like show for anime mechas like Gundams, those Veritechs from Robotech/Macross and those Megazords from Power Rangers. I think some Japanese network or BBC should do a Top Gear style show for giant robots.

PS. To Top Gear UK: Still waiting for that Bugatti Veyron Vs. Sonic The Hedgehog challenge!
PPS. Speaking of the Veyron, can an Aussie import one? And if it could work, can Shannons insure it?
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nihao! Reply with quote
TidalWave_Jeannette wrote:
PPS. Speaking of the Veyron, can an Aussie import one? And if it could work, can Shannons insure it?

It's left hand drive only, so it can't be road-registered. You could certainly register it as a track car though.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nihao! Reply with quote
Same here! BTW, I think so far no network has done a Top Gear like show for anime mechas like Gundams, those Veritechs from Robotech/Macross and those Megazords from Power Rangers. I think some Japanese network or BBC should do a Top Gear style show for giant robots.

There is the minor problem that they don't exist to be taken for a test drive.

PS. To Top Gear UK: Still waiting for that Bugatti Veyron Vs. Sonic The Hedgehog challenge!

And the minor problem that it's kind of hard to race against a fictional video game character.
Cannibal Bob
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Nihao! Reply with quote

falk
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nihao! Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
[..]

It's left hand drive only, so it can't be road-registered. You could certainly register it as a track car though.

Perhaps in your barbarian state. Here in the Democratic Peoples Republic of the ACT (and I think WA too), you just need to apply a "left hand drive" sticker, and you're good to go.

But expect to spend a lot of time stuck behind slow moving traffic -- not being able to see into the oncoming lane for overtaking is t3h suck.

I'm not sure a veyron is really a daily-driver type car anyway, so its registerability is largely "meh". I'm also not convinced you'd do any better track times from a Veyron (cost: approximately a billion dollars*) than you would with a warmed-over Skyline (R32-3-4 GTR's now occupying the same market space as the HQ holden was ten years ago). The 1,000 HP thing is kinda "meh" -- Trust sell 1000hp kits for the RB26DETT, and the kit plus a car to put it in would still come in a couple of orders of magnitude less than the veyron.

So how about you buy one of my surplus skylines, and split the savings from not buying the veyron with me instead?

*: For the literal minded among you: I know that they don't cost a billion dollars.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Nihao! Reply with quote
falk wrote:
Democratic Peoples Republic of the ACT

Ah, so it's another communist dictatorship, then?
</jim hacker>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Nihao! Reply with quote
falk wrote:
I'm not sure a veyron is really a daily-driver type car anyway, so its registerability is largely "meh". I'm also not convinced you'd do any better track times from a Veyron (cost: approximately a billion dollars*) than you would with a warmed-over Skyline (R32-3-4 GTR's now occupying the same market space as the HQ holden was ten years ago). The 1,000 HP thing is kinda "meh" -- Trust sell 1000hp kits for the RB26DETT, and the kit plus a car to put it in would still come in a couple of orders of magnitude less than the veyron.

A Veyron did a 1:18 on the Top Gear test track, while cars comparable to a Skyline GTR do it about 10 seconds slower. And a 1000hp GTR would be utterly undrivable in anything other than a straight line (since those ARE drag racing kits, after all), which highlights why the Veyron is an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime car- it's all things to all people. Insanely fast in a line or around a corner, while still being incredibly comfortable and liveable with. A 1000hp anything else would would be garbage at more than one of those things at a time. Anyone can make a car go fast in a straight line, it's another matter entirely making a car that can do everything else too.
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Nihao! Reply with quote
Mr Waffle wrote:
And a 1000hp GTR would be utterly undrivable in anything other than a straight line (since those ARE drag racing kits, after all), which highlights why the Veyron is an amazing, once-in-a-lifetime car- it's all things to all people.

Well, apart from people who want manageable fuel bills.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you can afford the car, you can afford the fuel bills.
Dante
BT

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:

very much this.

and how annoying would that supercharger whine get on the 'super' clubby after awhile? nice car otherwise.
TEAM Buy Dante Beers!
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:

All things to all rich people, then. Where's the engineering challenge in that?
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So you want something that's all things to all people and affordable to the average person? Now that is a challenge.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stig revealed (so click only if you want to know) - http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,28383,25669659-10229,00.html

Unfortunately i know cause of some nut on another forum said who it was when they posted the link >_<
Slykura
Madman Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Barcadi anyone?
BroKeN
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Nihao! Reply with quote
falk wrote:
So how about you buy one of my surplus skylines, and split the savings from not buying the veyron with me instead?

Got any n/a's? If so, might be interested. Long drive home though Shocked
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great start to the new season. The "Stig in a reasonably priced car" segment was hilarious, and the Ferrari FXX proves itself to be... very fast.

The 1949-era train/car/bike race was worth it just to see Clarkson shovelling coal.

Also, looking forward to the Veyron/McLaren F1 race that was teased in the season trailer.

Page 9 of 9

Jump to: