Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

FMA Novels

FMA Novels
Author
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: FMA Novels Reply with quote
Im shure you whould have heard of them,Theres five on them original stories from Fma(by hiromu arakawa) that were released in japan and have now been translated and released by Viz in america

I read the first one,and the bit with Ed going up to Roy and going daddy,because roy was flirting with woman and ignoring ed,needless to say the woman leave lol
amychasingclerk
Doraemon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually the novels are written by Makoto Inoue and translated into English by Alexander O. Smith. I believe Hiromu Arakawa only approves the stories and provides artwork for the novels.

The bit you described was from the second novel in the series, "The Abducted Alchemist". It is, indeed, quite funny that Ed sabotages Roy's chances of picking up by pretending to be Roy's son.

I have found the third novel "The Valley of White Petals" to be the most enjoyable so far. I like how the story delves into the pros and cons of equivalent trade as well as exploring Al's feelings toward being stuck in his armour.

Something that struck me as strange in the third novel is how Roy is described as folding papers into paper planes. I didn't think aircraft existed in Hagaren world so how can one make a paper replica of something that has never been created?

Where did you find out there are five novels in the range? Only three have been published in English by Viz (to my knowledge). Are you saying that a total of five have been written for Japan and that there are only two more to come?

~Laine~
RocketJess
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
amychasingclerk wrote:
Something that struck me as strange in the third novel is how Roy is described as folding papers into paper planes. I didn't think aircraft existed in Hagaren world so how can one make a paper replica of something that has never been created?

I imagine that even if nobody in Amestris has figured out how to make a real aeroplane work, the concept might still exist... or at the very least, someone has found that if you fold up a piece of paper in the right way, it glides - and we call that a paper plane, thus the author describes it as one (whether Roy would call it that or not).

Last edited by RocketJess on Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been wondering about the novels for a while now but know nothing about them...

Are the set during the TV\manga series and follow the same narrative or are they like side stories?
mi
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also on top of CG's questions I was wondering how you would go about getting these novels. Do they sell them in Comic stores or in book stores?

Y Halo Thar, Long time no see all~ Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
prolly best place would be a comic shop but iv seen them at borders book stores.
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
Cobizah
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
w00t novels! Me wants! If I was Ed, I would get rid of Mustangs date another less embarrassing way...

So when is it released in English?
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now...

So does anybody have an answer to my questions?
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think there completely different
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
Hagane No Renkinjutsushi
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone know where to purchase?, and also answer to CG's question?
Balsnac
Mint Blancmanche

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well besides borders who do overcharge a quite abit when it comes to manga your best bet would be a comicbook store or a specialty store such as Sydeys Kinokuniya or Melbournes Minotaur, unfortunantly i'm not sure of a Brisbane equivalent......exchange Laughing

The setting for the novels would most likely be during the course of the anime series. We have the first novel which actually got an animated counterpart so i'd assume the stories in the other novels run parallel to other events in the anime.

Winner of the Madvivor Challenge: Round 1
amychasingclerk
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The novels could sort of fit into anime continuity but I'm more inclined to call them side stories.

The first novel "The Land of Sand" was adapted into the anime two-parter "The Other Brothers Elric" and is pretty similar to the animated version. However notable changes were made for the anime to include characters either more prominant in the anime such as Lust or to use the story as a stepping stone to meeting other characters such as Marcoh.

The second novel "The Abducted Alchemist" is very much a side story involving terrorists destroying train lines all over Amestris without causing any casualties. Also, there has been a string of kidnappings targeting those close to the state military Ed, Al and Mustang investigate a connection and the kinapper discover why it is a bad idea to abduct the FullMetal Alchemist.
A story like this could happen pretty much anywhere in the Elric's early adventures as it does not specifically refer to any past adventures or to any key events in the series.

Novel number three is "The Valley of White Petals". Again, this is a side story which could take place anywhere on the road and involves Mustang forcing Ed (and Al, of course) to investigate a hidden mining city with no military connections and, more surprisingly no need for money! The brothers discover that Wisteria is a place governed by the law of equivalent exchange, where those who put in the most effort are always repaid generously. But what of those who are old or injured and cannot work? Could it be equivalent exchange is not the right way to run a society?

I bought all three of these novels at Minotaur books in Melbourne for about $17 each. Any comic or book shop should be able to order them in without any trouble.

I have ti admit the novels are not the most in-depth books out there, with fairly large print and light scene description but they are enjoyable to read and the little bits of Hiromu Arakawa artwork included are always a treat.

~Laine~
Hagane No Renkinjutsushi
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: