Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

WHOA! Definitive New R1 Voltron DVD's on the way...

WHOA! Definitive New R1 Voltron DVD's on the way...
Author
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: WHOA! Definitive New R1 Voltron DVD's on the way... Reply with quote
Has anyone else seen this?

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5925

The US are finally getting Voltron released in full and quite frankly the sets look to make ours redundant.

Don't get me wrong, Madman did a good job with the releases here, I personally purchased all the sets at full price as they came out, though it's clear now the time to sell up is at hand.

They are getting coloured, stackable, molded tins.

The sets feature 5.1 audio.

They have totally recompiled the video from Go Lion Japanese prints (which no doubt are near pristine as the show was hardly aired in Japan) and not only that it has been cleaned up!

They are getting interviews and all sorts of cool extras.

PLUS......

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FUTV64/104-6321012-6200720?v=glance&n=130

Media Blasters is also releasing "Hundred Beast King GoLion" & "Armored Squadron Dairugger XV" in 2007.

What a time to be a Voltron fan!

Though I have to say I haven't felt this ripped off since Robotech started coming out on DVD (legacy, remastered & protoculture editions) Sad

MM I know it's not at all your fault as all these USA releases were compiled AFTER you released the shows here.

I just want to know - is this the surprise announcement?

Please tell me it is, tell me you are getting these improved box sets OR at least the uncut Japanese shows?
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Even better, just came across the official site here;

http://www.voltrondvd.com/

It's fantastic, vast amounts of info on the release, finally some good Voltron wallpapers, even video footage of the DVD tin concept.

SG-B must be drooling over this am I right?
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://voltronforce.com/main.asp

Don't forget that one, it's been totally revamped and again has some excellent wallpapers, really cool footage that until now has been unseen, heaps of general goodness.

A slick site indeed.
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
fuzzguitar wrote:
SG-B must be drooling over this am I right?

Yup. Razz

I've known about the up-coming US DVD for months.
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
by the sounds of it they're using the original tv masters...

as for the 5.1 aspect, i very much doubt it would be any better than what we already have on release...

the question i have does the episode release we have fit the same order the yanks are releasing their series on or are we missing episodes???
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
redacidman wrote:
by the sounds of it they're using the original tv masters...

They're using the original Japanese negatives, which are in SUPERB condition.

Quote:
the question i have does the episode release we have fit the same order the yanks are releasing their series on or are we missing episodes???

We're not missing any episodes.
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, not exactly - they are cleaning them, fixing up colours and other issues digitally and using a vast range of sources and machines, Japanese film negatives, Japanese digital tapes etc. Then converting to HD (yes I know it gets downconverted to DVD after but still!)

It's a huge task, and if you watch the previews on the links above it's plain to see how great it's looking already.

The show already looks sharper and more vibrant, there's no way ours will even look close to that good.

Didn't you read it? They are baking the audio stereo masters to seperate the glue and keep each channel intact. It won't be like mono just pushed into 5.1 speakers digitally, it'll actually be a great source to work from plus the show always sounded okay in the first place.

Trust me, it'll kill our current DVD's.

I despise owning DVD's from any other region unless I absolutely can't get R4 versions, though unless MM announce here that they are doing these sets before the R1 versions are out then I'm importing.

SG-B can handle the ep list, I think you'll find we are fine with our releases however.
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i wonder if madman will get the new masters??? then do a another release on it, for 5.1 i don't mind waiting...
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
fuzzguitar wrote:
No, not exactly - they are cleaning them, fixing up colours and other issues digitally and using a vast range of sources and machines, Japanese film negatives, Japanese digital tapes etc. Then converting to HD (yes I know it gets downconverted to DVD after but still!)

They're primarily using the original Japanese negatives -- from what I've read, they're meticulously reassembling the Voltron episodes using the GoLion negatives.

Much like what was done for the 1980s Astroboy DVD.

Quote:
Didn't you read it?

Yes.

Quote:
Trust me, it'll kill our current DVD's.

I know.
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Weird SG-B your post above mine wasn't there when I made my post above this one...

It now reads like I was saying did YOU read it.

I meant redacid.

Anyway, I KNEW you'd know all about it!
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, you were speaking to redacid and not me?
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
funily enough i thought rhino had something to do with our voltron version...

though i could be wrong..
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rhino had nothing to do with it.

What made you think they had something to do with it?
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe he was thinking of the R1 transformers releases?
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps.
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
come to think of it, i can't think of the title name though it was r4 remaster rhino done that madman released...
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ummm off topic but I've been watching heaps of Vehicle Voltron lately & I've just finished the first disc on the second box...

SG-B can you tell me what the hell is going on?

From one episode to the next Hazar and Mongo are changing their minds from peace to attack, attack to peace - it's so incoherent!

I'm used to old shows being chopped for dubs, especially in the Lion Force where scenes from some episodes are re-used in others but gosh, this is just insane now.

You know when you watch something and you just know from the characters expressions & the seemingly short scenes that in the original japanese versions they were probably saying totally different things?

This show in particular seems heavily changed, much more than say Starblazers from Yamato for instance.

Like how Jeff and Commander Hawkins have that recurring scene in the food/bar area for comic relief, same animation but the lines are changed.

Maybe they are cutting out violence like usual or perhaps there was some hanky panky going on between Hazar and Mongo, they do seem to be rather close...

Just thought you might know is all.
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
fuzzguitar wrote:
Ummm off topic but I've been watching heaps of Vehicle Voltron lately & I've just finished the first disc on the second box...

SG-B can you tell me what the hell is going on?

From one episode to the next Hazar and Mongo are changing their minds from peace to attack, attack to peace - it's so incoherent!

Just inconsistent writing. This happens when you have quite a few writers dubbing a show.

Quote:
Like how Jeff and Commander Hawkins have that recurring scene in the food/bar area for comic relief, same animation but the lines are changed.

This was usually done to cover up any cuts or to tie up loose ends in the episode.

Lion Voltron had a lot of recycled animation as well.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
DAMN!
That sure is something alright, I remember Sly's reply at the time as well that they didn't really have any extras.
And NOW look at it there's heaps of stuff coming up and those molded tins they look nice. Shocked
outerspacerace
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah everything about the whole release sounds great!

On MM's box sets, they are well packaged, have slick, sophisticated art too...but at the end of the day MM released Lion Voltron box sets with the lions on them - it just doesn't feel right.

Yes, I realise that technically they DO have lions considering that the front cover art is part of a larger theme (and small ones on the spine) but it's not instantly recognisable or nostalgic enough for me.

People liked Voltron for the lions and that's another thing that makes the tin sets oh-so-appealing Smile

Media Blasters really seem to be getting this right.
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
fuzzguitar wrote:
Yeah everything about the whole release sounds great!

Only disappointment for me so far is it won't have closed captions for the deaf and hearing impaired (such as myself).

I was pushing for closed captions and was disappointed to read yesterday that the DVD would have no closed captions.
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Btw here's a first look at remastered Voltron!!!!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6223
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SG-B wrote:
Btw here's a first look at remastered Voltron!!!!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6223
Looks good more vibrant and clear.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: WHOA! Definitive New R1 Voltron DVD's on the way... Reply with quote
fuzzguitar wrote:
...the time to sell up is at hand.

I'll give you twenty bucks per volume

No, really, I will

I do mean it

(sarcasm aside, I will offer to buy your Voltron sets off you for twenty bucks per volume if you do decide to sell them. Just hit the PM button if you're interested)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow this sounds real good. I think I will import it next month. I remember Voltron used to be on TV in Australia, I vaguely remember it and I loved it heaps but back then I was a child. I still want to watch it now though more than ever since this new release came out.

Has anyone actually ordered this in?
Ordered/Awaiting Arrival:
Tim
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fleet of Doom starts shipping this week too, but is only available through the Voltron.com store. I hope this means there's a chance Madman will be able to release it here.
Elita One
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really? For real? So they did work out the licensing issues with Fleet of Doom. This is on my to buy list. Only works out to be $23 for it in Aus dollars. Will Madman release it here? Who knows with them lately.
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tim wrote:
Fleet of Doom starts shipping this week too, but is only available through the Voltron.com store. I hope this means there's a chance Madman will be able to release it here.

Actually, it won't be shipping until next week due to printing issues.
Elita One
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
SG-B wrote:
[..]

Actually, it won't be shipping until next week due to printing issues.

That's ok. I need to top up my Bopo card anyway.Not sure if I have the funds on it to cover the cost They don't say what the price of postage is for Australia on the site. Hence the need to top up the card. Have enough to cover for the DVD however.
^Kat^cassidy^
Misa Amane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Question: Are they going to edit the GoLion episodes into Voltron episodes? Will they include both versions? (i.e. GoLion and Voltron) If so, me wantee badly!
SG-B
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
^Kat^cassidy^ wrote:
Question: Are they going to edit the GoLion episodes into Voltron episodes?

No.

But Media Blasters will be releasing GoLion (and DaiRugger XV) on it's own at some point.
Mad Anime Fan
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know this thread has been rather dead for a while.
But did the Vehicle Force Voltron get the same remastering treatment or not?

Also they've been out for a while, how are the extras?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: