Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Astro boy series new and old.

Astro boy series new and old.
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Astro boy series new and old. Reply with quote
I like the new series on BBC. I know of the originals, but did not watch them.

I was surprised how touching and sad and deep it was.

The last one were Al the Robot Guard was kidnapped and taken apart and gathered parts together to get back to his friend, was scary and touching.

Some of it was scarier than i thought it would be.

I think hes better off without the backside cannon.

They appear to own 1 series, but one can hope they bought the rest. How many are there? And where are they shown?

I have freeview and terrestial UK.

I think they should have kept the Japanese names, definately.

It would be better in Japanese with subtitles.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I avoided the most recent incarnation of Astro like the plague. I have been a fan of Astro (animated) for about 30 years. The latest anime, in particular the english dub, raped the show far too much for me to enjoy watching it.

There is no propper subbed version readily available. You can attempt to import the Korean DVDs which have a reputation for being the most in-tact version available with decent subs. Problem there is you need to work out HOW to import them.

Until I get the chance to watch the Korean DVDs, or a simillar set that is more readily available, I will never watch the latest Astro. No one likes seeing their childhood spat on and violated in that way.

The 60s version of astroboy did not have as much imput from Tesuka as it possibly should have. It is well known to fans that he was not particularly pleased with that original anime. Texuka had a lot more imput into the second anime of Astro made in the 80's. This series to most fans is considered the best.

Both the 60's and the 80's are commonly available on DVD. The recent release by Madman of the 60's is reportedly fantastic, but I have yet to pick it up. The 80's series released my Madman I do on and have watched several times. It is most definately an excellent release. However keep in mind that the R1 version does have japaneese dialogue with inglish subs for every episode included. The Madman release is ehglish dialogue only with the first two episodes (on the extras DVD) in Japanese/w eng subs.

As for where you can watch them on TV. I have no idea. It sounds like youare from the old dart. I am Australian, as are most of the members here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
There is no propper subbed version readily available. You can attempt to import the Korean DVDs which have a reputation for being the most in-tact version available with decent subs. Problem there is you need to work out HOW to import them.

Not too sure what you're trying to say there. The South Korean division of Columbia Tristar release the series there, so it's completely legit. The subtitles are excellent too, though the opening and closing songs aren't subbed. Only 23 episodes were released in Korea (I haven't got the second box set, but apparently it skips one of the episodes). I doubt the rest will be released in any format ever.

As for were to get it and how to import it, it's no harder than importing a DVD from the US or the UK. There's a number of shops which stock the two box sets of the series;
http://www.dvdasian.com/
http://www.koreapop.com/
The problem seems to be that like a lot of DVDs in Korea, the two DVD sets weren't in print for very long. You should still be able to get it though.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Woah! Thanx dude. Much appreciated. I will bookmark both those shops. Am I to take it you have used these stores and can vouch for their service?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
Am I to take it you have used these stores and can vouch for their service?

I've only used dvdasian, and they were pretty good, but a touch pricey. They mangaed to get two Korean DVDs for me that just about every shop I tried said were out of print. It did take a little while for them to get the second one, but they did eventually get it.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: