Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The XBox 360 Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 103, 104, 105  Next
The XBox 360 Thread
Author
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Feball3001 wrote:
Does anyone know if getting a HDMI cable makes a difference to reading text in games? The text in Fable III is very hard to read and I noticed my friend has the same problem with Skyrim on her console. I plan to get HDMI cable either way, need to free up the composite cable for my PS2 & Wii so not always changing cables over.

Your post suggests you're using composite AV cables, which means you're currently playing on a 576i or 480i video signal squashed together in a terrible video format.

So yes, going for HDMI will make it look very lovely in comparison Smile
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Feball3001 wrote:
If it doesn't work I will just borrow my friends first release xbox360 to play it Smile

If he's updated beyond the original Blades dashboard, then it won't work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
Your post suggests you're using composite AV cables, which means you're currently playing on a 576i or 480i video signal squashed together in a terrible video format.

Indeed. I still remember how the text messages in GTA4 were almost unreadable while I was using a composite connection for my PS3.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's worse on an SD TV as well! Razz I recall not being able to read a fair bit of text in games that used the HD fonts.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a TV tuner card installed in my PC and was running my PS3 through that. Can you say "arse-backwards"? Laughing

Thanks again to our resident SEGA fanboy for supplying me with a DVI-HDMI cable (which he shockingly agreed to trade for a couple of Dreamcast games). Wink
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kero-chan wrote:
I have a TV tuner card installed in my PC and was running my PS3 through that. Can you say "arse-backwards"?

Soo, it didn't work very well then? Something like this has been in the back of my mind since the PSOne generation. Just never followed through with even bothering to look at how to do it. I am a master procrastinator.

After reading your post I looked the three computers here with HDTV cards in them, but none of those cards look like they have the appropriate "Line IN" type connections. Sad

The x360 was the reason I bought my second HDTV. I had it running through a widescreen CRT via SCART to begin with, and it all seemed quite ok. It wasn't until I was playing something with HD fonts (I think it may have been blue Dragon? Not sure now) and not being able to read the menus pretty much meant not being able to play the game that I replaced the TV.

I bought a HDMI switch box a fair while ago. I meant to use it so I could have my x360, my PS3, and my PC all running on HDMI as my TV only has 2 HDMI inputs. Of course it too is still sitting in the box untouched as I've not bothered to order the HDMI cables to go with it >.>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
[..]

Yes I was using av cable, I had a mental blank of the word I needed Laughing

Got a HDMI cable and the images look very nice now and text is now easy to read Very Happy
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, the new place has fairly decent internet and my brother mentioned that he has an ethernet cable long enough to directly connect it to the router. However, when I do this, I can't get the Xbox to connect to the internet.

He tried it in his Xbox a few times and it seemed to work - sometimes it needed the router reset though.

Not sure why it's doing it either. I can use it by sharing the Wifi over the LAN connection from my computer but that's clearly going to slow things down quite a bit.

Any ideas? I'm looking at getting a Wifi adapter but I'm not sure when that'll be so if we can get this working in the meantime that'd be sweet.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
@HeDanny: Yeah, I'd call the idea a failure. MGS4 looked okay but GTA4 was pretty unplayable with the text and minimap being almost unreadable. Not to mention the actual TV reception was crap without an outdoor antenna attached. In the end it only got real use for the radio and a while ago I had to disable the card because it was causing errors. The idea is a bit redundant these days though isn't it? I mean, most HD TV's have a variety of inputs that should let you use it as a PC monitor, run your current-generation consoles and older consoles via composite, right?
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Kero. The main reason I was considering connecting the Consoled to the PC was not due to any lack of connectors or such like. Rather, being able to record gameplay sessions for later editing into trailers, reviews, Machinima etc has long been an idea that appeals to me. You know, in a "will probably never get a round tuit" sort of way. heh.

@CG: stick with the cable. In my experience console WiFi is largely rubbish. Expecially in xbox where buying the adapter used up a USB port and will cost you on obscene amount of your precious cash. You would be far better off with a cable for a fraction of the cost.

I have found the xbox built in troubleshooter pretty good. Its helped me find problems a handful of times back in the day when I had rubbish network equipment. It sounds mostly like a communication issue between the router and the console. Take a look in the router control panel (most likely accessed by punching a specific IP address into your web browser). You should be able to see what is and is not talking properly from there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
@CG: stick with the cable. In my experience console WiFi is largely rubbish. Expecially in xbox where buying the adapter used up a USB port and will cost you on obscene amount of your precious cash. You would be far better off with a cable for a fraction of the cost.

I have found the xbox built in troubleshooter pretty good. Its helped me find problems a handful of times back in the day when I had rubbish network equipment. It sounds mostly like a communication issue between the router and the console. Take a look in the router control panel (most likely accessed by punching a specific IP address into your web browser). You should be able to see what is and is not talking properly from there.

The only thing the troubleshooter suggests is to switch the router on and off which we did innumerable times and that didn't help at all. It would detect the network but when it went to test the internet portion it'd THROBBING LOVE PUMP up.

As I said, it seems to be fine in my brother's Xbox so maybe it's just an issue with mine?

Also, yeah, if I can, ethernet will be the way to go. It took forever to download a 800MB file through WiFi on my PS3. So long in fact I ended up falling asleep. Razz
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It doesn't help that the PS3's wireless adapter is terrible, and this isn't helped by the gimped TCP/IP stack either.

RE network issues on your XB360, what are your network settings at? Compare to your brother's in case its setup differently (dynamic IP vs static, etc, etc).
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been playing some Dead or Alive 4 as its the oldest game on my "abandoned" list. Now I know why. I.. hate it. HATE IT. Mad

..but its so pretty, and there are costumes to be unlocked for more pretty! Very Happy also achievements, but.. meh. Not worth playing for achievements, but costumes on the other hand...

Obviously I'm a glutton for punishment. Evil or Very Mad

Gonna start to alternate it with some BulletWitch. The next oldest game on my "abandoned" list, so at least I can alternate my stress and hatred. you know, cos a change is as good as a holiday. Or something? Rolling Eyes
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've actually been enjoying playing DoA4 on the XB360 in anticipation for the sequel Smile I think I still like DoA2 on the DC (Japanese release) best, but I've enjoyed DoA4. Especially those speedy load times (or lack thereof!).
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you ever want to spar let me know. I need a real person to learn me as the built in tutorial thing is useless.
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I got DOA4 with my 360 back in 2006. I'm pretty sure I finished the story mode with each character to unlock their endings, then went online and very quickly earned the 0-point achievement for achieving a D-rank - that is, dropping from the default entry C rank, to a D.

I preferred it to DOA2 and 3, but I think that's just because it looked better and the level design was interesting, not because of any significant enhancements to the gameplay (also, Alpha is the cheapest boss ever).

I'm generally over fighting games since I was never into Street Fighter, King of fighters, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, etc. I only ever really liked DOA and Soul Calibur. I haven't picked up Soul Calibur since SC2 since they seem to be going downhill, so I'm really looking forward to DOA5.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah last time I played DoA4 was in 2008. That was the year on the save file at least. I looked at what I had done, and it looked like I played the girls' in the story(lol) mode and stopped.

I've now finished everything that "button mashing" and pure luck will allow. I can't do anything else with out actually learning how to play, and the game refuses to teach me so I'm done. As far as I'm concerned (at least unless someone wants to actually learn me) DoA4 can go diaf.

Wish DoaX2 worked. So much better. Sad

On the other hand, Bullet Witch is great. So much fun. Its a Cavia game, which some here may find interesting. Finished it on Normal. Going to try for Hard tonight.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
dead thread? Double post this far apart is so much lose.

Blades of time, Kingdoms of Armchair: Reckoning, The Lord of the Rings: War in the North all arrived this week. Also had Red Dead redemption and L.A. Noir sitting there for a while too.

Picked up the two quest DLCs for KoA:R today. On Sale on XBL. Nice Timing.

Next week the DLCs for Saints Row the Third are up. I'll buy all of those. Great excuse to go back for another stupidly fun romp through that stupidly fun game.
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I gave the demo for Blades of Time a whirl and... didn't really think much of it. looking forward to hearing what you think of the full game HD Smile
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So... has anyone played Dust? Downloaded the demo, loved it, bought the full game and got an achievement thingie or two. Not sure how long the game lasts, but so far it's pretty awesome Smile
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mangaman wrote:
So... has anyone played Dust? Downloaded the demo, loved it, bought the full game and got an achievement thingie or two. Not sure how long the game lasts, but so far it's pretty awesome Smile
I've played about an hour of it, my wife has finished it and said it was pretty good. I find some of the voice acting overly cutesy (your sidekick, Fidget, is the main offender here) and all the characters being animal-people gives me a weird furry vibe instead of a more friendly Disneyesque vibe, can't say why exactly.

But the gameplay is pretty neat. I'll probably go back to it once I've knocked a few other games off my list (a list which is much shorter until I get my PC fixed - it HAD to die the day before Walking Dead episode 3 released, didn't it?!).
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kermi wrote:
...all the characters being animal-people gives me a weird furry vibe...

HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finished the main story for L. A. Noire. Don't care how long that game took to make, It was released unfinished. Definately needed more developement time. Overall I found it a terribly flawed, yet eventually a wonderful and very satisfying experience.

Loved the final "desk". Honestly remove the (pointless) driving and shooting stuff Pre-Arson and I've played Popcap level games that were more interesting and in-depth. No excuse for how mind-numbing and clunky this game ended up.

Buuut most of that I will forgive, because the overall "Noir" when it finally showed up was close to perfect. It is just a shame that I have never felt less emotionally invested in a main protagonist. I felt almost nothing for Phelps. Hell I even enjoyeed hating the "bad guys" more. Jack Kelso literally stole the game for me. All of Phelps partners were great too. Every one of them felt more fitting than Phelps.

Apparently there is a TV series Sequel in the works (Niel McDonaugh as Parker HELL YES!) so I will absolutely be tuning in for that.

Something else I was completely un-aware of, is that Team Bondi were apparently huge Mad Men fans? Seems they went to lengths to get as many cameos in there as they could, or something. So I might have to wathc an ep or two of that show now just to see what the cast looks like without the nausiating CGI make-up.

I thought Team Bondi got closed down, but looks like they are working on a new game "Whore of the Orient" or something like that. Will try my best to avoid everything about that game, so I can go into it as blind as I went into this one.

Now.. on to Silent Hill: Downpour Woo!! Very Happy
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm definitely interested in LA Noire but I've yet to actually get around to buying it. I'd pigeonholed it as a bit of a Mafia II clone before release and never really followed anything on it but now that I know it's nothing like that it's certainly more interesting.

Also, let us know how Silent Hill Downpour goes. Smile
Mangaman
Magical Girl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1 on downpour Smile
garrethking
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is it just me or is Kinect a piece of ****?
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Head-tracking in Forza justifies its existence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, anyone here playing Halo 4? Thoughts?

I'm still waiting on my copy, it's probably a week or so away, because I'm a cheap bastard.

In the mean time I might watch that Forward Unto Dawn thing.
Viking
Akiha Tohno

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy wrote:
So, anyone here playing Halo 4? Thoughts?

I'm still waiting on my copy, it's probably a week or so away, because I'm a cheap bastard.

In the mean time I might watch that Forward Unto Dawn thing.

I have been playing the campaign all day and it is a worthy Halo game, It looks amazing.... like seriously better than it has any right to.
Not sure yet how I feel about Cortana's new look, at the very least her new face is a lot more emotive.

The new weapons are all quite fun.

One thing that surprised me is I got a real Metroid Prime nostalgia feeling while playing, I think it is because of how the HUD and helmet elements play on screen. It just feels like Prime to me.

343 did a great job imo
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hah yeah, I thought of Metroid Prime too, I love the new HUD.

The story is interesting, definitely a different approach than previous Halo games... love the multiplayer, I normally don't care for MP but Halo has always been so easy to pick up and play and quickly go from game to game, this continues that tradition, plus Call of Duty style challenges and unlocks is nice. A total ripoff, but nice Razz
Crona
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I will get the discussion rolling in this thread again. What does everyone think of Black Ops 2?
Aussie-Byron
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crona wrote:
Well I will get the discussion rolling in this thread again. What does everyone think of Black Ops 2?

I hate it because it's mainstream and other people like it, so, in an effort to become more edgy I dislike it.
Also because there have been a handfull of other FPS games set in modern/near-future times so there is obviously no need to spend a few hours enjoying another such title.
Crona
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In all honesty the only reason I bought Black Ops 2 was for the Zombies mode which they have done an amazing job with this time around.
Kermi
resonance cascade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was tempted to get BlOps2 for zombies but I didn't care for the zomies in WaW or BlOps1, so I don't see why this would be different.

It looks fun in the Let's Play videos I've seen, but I don't think I'd enjoy playing it.

Last edited by Kermi on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Crona wrote:
In all honesty the only reason I bought Black Ops 2 was for the Zombies mode which they have done an amazing job with this time around.

Wow, they still do that?
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought Black Ops 2, played the single player campaign, which was surprisingly enjoyable. Then returned it to EB for a full refund. They do have their positives.
Crona
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
[..]

Wow, they still do that?

Pretty much.
Aussie-Byron
Kenji Harima

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey this is a bit out of the blue, but would anyone like to play either Portal 2 co-op or Farcry 3 co-op with me?
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xbox One revealed and wow... Microsoft essentially raped themselves.
Lister of Smeg
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:

I'm almost too scared to ask how you believe they have done this but how so? I'm not trying to say it's brilliant either just want to know why you'd say they essentially 'raped' themselves.
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can't play used games unless you pay a fee for a second hand copy. Each new copy gets tied to one account once it's installed. So if you want to loan a friend a game, they have to pay to even play it.

While it's not entirely always on online connection, you have to connect at least once a day in order to play your games. Shame if your net goes down for days on end.

No backwards compatibility. Not even downloadable games from previous generations.

...and it's essentially gonna be an overly expensive TV multimedia Box, with features that most TVs already have, with even greater reliance on the Kinect.

You beginning to see the problem here?

Lister of Smeg
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:
You can't play used games unless you pay a fee for a second hand copy. Each new copy gets tied to one account once it's installed. So if you want to loan a friend a game, they have to pay to even play it.

While it's not entirely always on online connection, you have to connect at least once a day in order to play your games. Shame if your net goes down for days on end.

No backwards compatibility. Not even downloadable games from previous generations.

...and it's essentially gonna be an overly expensive TV multimedia Box, with features that most TVs already have, with even greater reliance on the Kinect.

You beginning to see the problem here?

I do see, and you'll get no argument from me. I didn't get all that information from the part I got to watch. It seems both consoles are going in the same direction (Nintendo have had there own for awhile now good or bad) to me and the choice of which console I'll purchase at least first won't be made for now as I'm not convinced.

Thank you for taking the time to reply Smile
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reserving judgement until E3.

I like the tech and features itself, problem is a lot of those never make it to Australia.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:

Let's, uh, not go quite that far, okay?

Also we can have a separate thread on the XBone.
Timesplitter 01
Yakumo Tsukamoto

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:

PS4 is also going to have this same problem
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Timesplitter 01 wrote:

Yeah, probably. Having no physical backwards compatibility, I can kind of understand (disagree immensely, but can understand). Having no backwards compatibility for digital purchases? That's just a crock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dime_fan3
Motoko Kusanagi

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not entirely impressed XBone (heh heh) either. But i'll see what happens at E3, to be honest no game on either PS4 or XBone has impressed me so far, so I'm thinking I'll wait for a while after each system has come out before biting the bullet.

I have a new blog!

http://thirtypixels.wordpress.com
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Timesplitter 01 wrote:

Though there talk about some Gaikai system where it streams the game instead which sounds like a decent alternative to well nothing.

I just don't see a big issue of no BC, sure there will be a small handful of people that will probably sell off their current console to go towards the newer one and will like to keep some games.

I can honestly say that there's only a handful of times i've played previous gen games on newer versions but by the time i've bought them anyway there has been enough games to be worthwhile purchasing it.
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found the Xbox One press event to be adequately satisfactory. I didn't feel slighted by anything said or not said, because most of it had been reported well beforehand.

I think we've have always had to meet Microsoft halfway and tolerate some crap. The hissy fit on Kotaku and other places following the reveal was embarrassing.

If there is anything I don't particularly like about the Xbone is that it's big and has too much shiny plastic. That's the only thing that soured it for me. Other than that, if it all works as it should then it looks like a solid console.

That said, I'm in no hurry to buy either of the new consoles. I'm planning to upgrade my PC again and wait for the console stuff to all pan out.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
I just don't see a big issue of no BC, sure there will be a small handful of people that will probably sell off their current console to go towards the newer one and will like to keep some games.

I can honestly say that there's only a handful of times i've played previous gen games on newer versions but by the time i've bought them anyway there has been enough games to be worthwhile purchasing it.

You say that now, but when launch day rolls around and there are a dozen games available for the system, all around the $100 mark because Australia, and half of the features don't work because Australia, it suddenly becomes a very expensive media box. But hey, it's Australia, right? Who'd want to live there? #dealwithit

As for me, I'm only allowing myself to buy a next-gen console when I've knocked all of the games from the previous three Playstation generations off the Pile of Shame. See you in 2015!

Page 104 of 105

Jump to: