Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

The XBox 360 Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105
The XBox 360 Thread
Author
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pretty upset I can't play my XBLA titles on the new hardware. I've got roughly 50 XBLA titles that I will no longer be able to play once my xbox360 dies and MS no longer sells the console.

Not QUITE as frustrating as roughly 200 PS2 games I can't play, but still.. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
chippy
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
the reason for no backwards cabality is the different CUP architecture so the system commands will not work on the new hardware, also the old hardware was 3gig+ speed and the new is 2gig something so emulating is sort of out of the question

for XBLA I think some titles just need to be reprogramed for the new cpu architecture

Quote:
The new console also won't be backwards compatible with the Xbox 360. This is entirely unsurprising given the change in processor architecture. Software emulation of the Xbox 360's three core, six thread, 3.2 GHz PowerPC processor on an eight core, x86 processor expected to run at around 2GHz is technically unfeasible.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/xbox-one-not-always-on-not-backwards-compatible/
garrethking
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ill stick with PC thanks. That's pretty much what this shiz is trying to be, minus the power.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since I've never had an XBox I still like checking out the new consoles.

But this Xbox One is really disappointing.
Microsoft and other developers have this obsession with "Always online" or more like "WE WANT YOU TO BE Always online" in a sense they want to gradually force us all to be online all the time....sounds crazy doesn't it?
But I've read its not necessarily to be online all the time...WELL THANK GOD FOR THAT.

But hearing about you need to be online once every 24 hours sounds ridiculous...but I don't see the need to be online once every 24 hours.
Hey I'm pretty much a "100% Always Offline console gamer" and only occasionally go online to unlock my exclusive DLC and that would be it...but sometimes I would check out any new content in the online store and that's about it.

Having no backwards capability is no surprise.

Also hearing about if you lend a game to a friend then he would have to pay full price for it sounds a bit iffy and EWWW.
Which sounds like some sort of login process just to play your games...but then again even the Playstation has a login feature for it's users.

It sounds like each game has a 'Key unlock' feature that unlocks per user so that when the 'owner' inserts the disc it recognizes the user as the owner of the game.
But when a 'New' user inserts the disc into another console it doesn't recognize the original owner of the game and so it locks out the new user unless he/she pays for a key to grant access...there for paying for the game.

But what if you had more than one user in one household does that mean they all have to use the same login to play the game.
It seems like the same matters with the PS3 where you can login as a different user so each user has there own trophies and saved games, to which is understandable.

But if you have more than one user in one household would they have to purchase multiple licenses for each user login so all users in the household can each play the same game?
Or is the game only unlocked per console, so no matter how many users are on that console would it recognize all of them?

If this would be true you'll be spending more than twice the games prices for each user if each user had to pay for each access to the game.
Well theoretically it would be insane way of have licensing for each user.
I also hear about people having to buy multiple copies of MS Windows just so they can install an operating system on there home network which is more than one PC.
Since the OS doesn't have multiple licenses they need to buy multiple copies.
I just hope this isn't the same way for consoles in the future.
You think they make things easier in future, but all they seem to worry about is piracy these days.
But like I said I'm only theoretically speaking and could a bit overreacting.

But I just don't like the idea of 'Always online console' since this will NOT work for me as I would have to make it wireless connection.
When I do connect my PS3 online with 'wired' Ethernet cable, I have the cable running across the room to my modem which is on the other side of the room.
Therefor people would trip over the cable just so I can have a constant always online internet connection.
I don't know how this NBN rollout is gonna work for me physically but my area is soon and I don't know how this is physically gonna affect me 'if' consoles are starting to become nuisance of wanting to become always online.
It's food for a thought when NBN rollout is underway and you certainly want a good network setup if you want online gaming.
Nothing is worse when you modem is across the room and your tv and console are on the other side of the room...physical connection with a cable would be a pain.
Feball3001
Melfina

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alway online is not going to be an issue for me but it is for a couple of friends. How's that going to work with people still on dial up or slow satellite connection? And not being able to borrow games isn't good, I've borrowed games from my friends a few times to see if I want to buy the game myself.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Feball3001 wrote:
How's that going to work with people still on dial up or slow satellite connection?

Microsoft have never supported XBox Live over dialup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:

You say that now, but when launch day rolls around and there are a dozen games available for the system, all around the $100 mark because Australia, and half of the features don't work because Australia, it suddenly becomes a very expensive media box. But hey, it's Australia, right?

I rarely buy a new generation console within the first year and the two that I have (Wii and DS), I didn't have the previous generation anyhow.

That being said, I'm not the type to sell off games/consoles in order to get the newer one and it doesn't worry me in the slightest if it takes me a year or two before I get around to buying it.

As for the new xbox goes, I'll really only be wanting it for the new Forza game and if I end up dropping $600 just to play Forza for the next year before the next decent game to come around then i'm fine with that too Razz
Not that i'm looking to get it at release, just depends on how much I really want to play the new Forza.
SS3 Son Goku
Cagalli Yula Attha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
People buying a Xbox One on Day 1 are like those idiots who couldn't resist buying the next NEW iphone, to which they sleep out side the store in sleeping bags and would queue a whole 2 blocks down the street just to be the FIRST to get one.

But most people would wait until there's enough games out or wait until the price drops a bit until they get the next new console.

I think I bought my PS3 after they finally scrapped the PS2 support, which was problematic for most PS2 games.
The next model had firmware update that fully removed the PS2 support and also the console had different HDD sizes to the first release.

There's also the possibility that the first release model can have problems too.
I read a 'failure rate' report a few years ago on who had the most technical problems between Microsoft's Xbox 360 versus Sony's PS3, and so far Xbox 360 rated on having the worse technical problems than Sony's PS3.
The number of technical problems recorded was almost 'DOUBLE to almost TRIPLE in SIZE' to that of Sony's PS3 failure rate report.
But the failure rate had come down since then to overcome the glitches.

So YES it's sometimes best to wait awhile for firmware updates and also it's good to wait until then price drops...otherwise it can be expensive failure it dies a week or so after using it.
But so far in my favour is PS4 when it comes to choosing which console to go for.

Page 105 of 105

Jump to: