Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Mad Bull 34 discussion

Mad Bull 34 discussion
Author
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Mad Bull 34 discussion Reply with quote
I am sure that any one who started watching anime back in the 90ís and before that should have heard of this series, itís one of the founding series that got me into anime as it was so over the top with blood, violence and sex that just blew my mind. This anime also showed me that not all cartoons where meant for kids and that there is a whole world out there that I havenít exploded in the animation department. Recently I got my hands on the first volume of the manga and was blown away but the awesomeness once again, so I was wondering if there is any word on the DVD releases as my VHS tapes are so worn out form watching I think they will snap any point.

If there is a topic already on this anime I apologize for posting this one as I couldnít find it with the search function.
skate
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This shouldn't go in retro. It was only made in 1990 something.

Anyway, I didn't like it. The violance is too unrealistic. And most of it was unnesessary. And the plot is confusing. Didn't really like the animation, either.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
skate wrote:
This shouldn't go in retro. It was only made in 1990 something.

Right, so we can discuss Samurai Pizza Cats, which was made in 1990, but not Mad Bull 34, which was also made in 1990. Yep, that makes sense.

This is one of the titles I missed out on during the 1990's. I was going to add it to my ever growing collection of bad anime, but it's a little hard to find the original uncut US tapes (it was cut for violence in the UK). At least I have Wild 7 and probably the most classiest of the ultra violent cop anime, Angel Cop. But Mad Bull 34 is completely out of print, and I don't think anyone is insane enough to licence it again.
SPIDERCARNAGE
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I was hoping that madman would do it but I guess thatís just a pipe dream that it would probably never get passed the Australian office of film and literature any way.

skate wrote:
The violance is too unrealistic.

Yeah and anime is the pinnacle of realism especially when it comes to violence Razz. Thatís what made this show so great it was so far from reality it was ridiculous, Iíll give you the plot and the animation werenít that great but over all it was meant to be an action comedy and nothing more, it was one of those shows that you switch off your brain fro 40 minutes and just what some sweet action, like an animated Swarchenegger movie.
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I remember getting my hands on a copy of this as a kid. Damn right it was awesome. I just wish I could recall it. Funny, I saw this and Vampire Hunter D as a kid but not Wicked City or Urotsukidoji. I believe the video store wouldn't let me rent those, probably just as well.

I recall only ever seeing one volume, I'm not sure if there were more. I'd love to see this in full, it was totally bad-ass. I remember from a very early Madman catalogue there were heaps of freakin' awesome anime. I think it's safe to say there has been a major decline in tough guy-type anime. And that is quite sad.
George
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
There were 4 episodes. Each one about 40-50 minutes, if I remember correctly.

I agree that the animation and story were pretty bad. And the violance was a bit wacky, but nothing to complain about, I guess.

Quote:
Right, so we can discuss Samurai Pizza Cats, which was made in 1990, but not Mad Bull 34, which was also made in 1990. Yep, that makes sense.

I thought this area was for stuff from the 80's and before. I could very well be wrong though.
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
TheGreatNinjaFanBoy wrote:
I think it's safe to say there has been a major decline in tough guy-type anime. And that is quite sad.

There was a really explotative air about anime in the 1980's. We've had a remake of Wild 7 as a TV series a couple of years ago, but nothing really in that vein since. I've done a search on Mad Bull for some images (do NOT do this at work people), and I must say that it's perked up my interest in the title again. It looks really horrendous and will make a fine addition to my collection of bad anime.

George wrote:
I thought this area was for stuff from the 80's and before. I could very well be wrong though.

Well we've discussed shows from the early 1990's, and if you wanted to be pedantic, 1990 was the last year of the 1980's really. Personally it just annoys me that some people here just want to argue for the sake of arguing and not actually trying to participate in the actual topic (not you George, others). A lot of people, especially younger fans, think Escaflowne is retro. Well I suppose it's been 10 years since it was first screened on TV.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sex and violence are the two biggest things missing from modern anime.

Mad Bull 34 is a classic in the same way Cyber City Oedo is a classic.

Also, if we used pre-1990 as a definition for "retro" we wouldn't be able to discuss Nadia.

I'd honestly put 1995-1996 as a cutoff point for retro. Basically everything pre-Evangelion.

(And I know the forum description says "before the 1990s". We'll just quietly ignore it, okay?)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
George
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
violence

Elfen Lied Razz

Na, you're right. When will the next Wicked City come out? Very Happy
SPIDERCARNAGE
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

Mad Bull 34 is a classic in the same way Cyber City Oedo is a classic.

Also, if we used pre-1990 as a definition for "retro" we wouldn't be able to discuss Nadia.

I'd honestly put 1995-1996 as a cutoff point for retro. Basically everything pre-Evangelion.

(And I know the forum description says "before the 1990s". We'll just quietly ignore it, okay?)

Cyber City Oedo is an absolute must have for any cyber punk fan or just the bad ass fans. I also love the English dubs of these amines they where much more comical and entertaining unlike the more serious dubs of today.

The other thing I also love about the older anime especially in the early 90ís most of the heroes or at least the anime that I watched werenít high school kids but where much older and more bad ASS!
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the 4 VHS tapes that was released thru Manga. I got them with a bunch of other anime tapes that the Salvos were selling. Very Happy

I was pretty happy with the haul when you consider that the others were Angel Cop 1-3, Dominion Tank Police, The Guyver 1-6, Kabuto and Roujin-Z. Not certain if the Crying Freeman tapes were in that bunch I got. Very Happy

I always like seeing how Mad Bull just blows the bad guys away without a thought of simply arresting them.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
guymontag
Doraemon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mad Bull was and still is a real favourite of mine. As some others have said back then this sort of anime just doesn't happen anymore. You either have anime that mostly panders to the teenage boys with no sex scene and very little nudity if at all or you have full on hentai with stupid plots which would never target the teenage market due to its content. But Mad Bull had something for both.

What makes the series likeable is the imagery it conjures up. Being set in NYC in the early 80's, it brings to mind a lot of great 80's punk crime films and games. Movies like Death Wish with Charles Bronson, b-grade films like Class of 1984, and Mad Bull reminds me of Taggart in tha old coinop classic Final fight. It's a brilliant nostalgia trip, if you ever lived during the 80's.

Not to mention, I loved the ending jazz track it featured, and I wish I could find who composed it.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think you'll find he reminds you of Haggar.

Taggart was a Scottish detective.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mad bull 34 i own the vhs release been waiting for a local release on dvd, at present if you want it's a r1 import job...

stomi's right on the final fight character it is hagger...
Greoboruri
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
redacidman wrote:
at present if you want it's a r1 import job...
What R1? There has never been a legitamite English DVD release of this title anywhere, let alone an R1 version.
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i thought the cartoon gallery had a listing for it a couple of years back for the r1 release of madbull 34, well i for 1 hope somebody does a dvd release of this series in the near future...
The_Prophet
Doraemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mad Bull is over the top and is the reason why I like it. Just how silly the whole show is and the dub is why I love it.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: