Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

How much have you spent on your Anime collection?

How much have you spent on your Anime collection?
Author
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: How much have you spent on your Anime collection? Reply with quote
I've been wondering if anyone has calculated how much they've actually spent on their Anime DVD/Blu-ray collection over the years.

I haven't, but would be interesting to see if any other users have.
strideryb
Minawa Andou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
tl;dr: ~$31k on DVD's for me at the till (Not adjusting for inflation)

I've been collecting in 2 main batches
2000 to 2005: Pretty much bought most of the madman DVD's. This was peak disposable income time for my life, and Anime was main spend. I used to get everything from one Australian DVD online store (Family Box Office). Their account "order history" let you sum up all purchases pretty easily which I needed for insurance. That store is long gone, so lost the list. However I came across the last insurance form from that period while doing a cleanup earlier this year and saw the number I had quoted $28k for DVD's.

Life changed and I only picked up the big items (Evangelion movies / Ghibli new releases) for the next decade or so so not much here

2017 to Current: Starting collecting again, but much reduced - more picking things up on Madman / JB Hi Fi sales. Been putting this in a spreadsheet and ~$2.6k for this period.

So my total DVD spend would be at least ~$31k. Probably bump up a few k to allow for the non-tracked purchases.
Manga and OST CD's would jump that number a lot. Fortunately didn't really get into figurines - that's an expensive rabbit hole.
Speeny
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
strideryb wrote:
tl;dr: ~$31k on DVD's for me at the till (Not adjusting for inflation)

I've been collecting in 2 main batches
2000 to 2005: Pretty much bought most of the madman DVD's. This was peak disposable income time for my life, and Anime was main spend. I used to get everything from one Australian DVD online store (Family Box Office). Their account "order history" let you sum up all purchases pretty easily which I needed for insurance. That store is long gone, so lost the list. However I came across the last insurance form from that period while doing a cleanup earlier this year and saw the number I had quoted $28k for DVD's.

Life changed and I only picked up the big items (Evangelion movies / Ghibli new releases) for the next decade or so so not much here

2017 to Current: Starting collecting again, but much reduced - more picking things up on Madman / JB Hi Fi sales. Been putting this in a spreadsheet and ~$2.6k for this period.

So my total DVD spend would be at least ~$31k. Probably bump up a few k to allow for the non-tracked purchases.
Manga and OST CD's would jump that number a lot. Fortunately didn't really get into figurines - that's an expensive rabbit hole.

Very cool. Thanks for your post.
JESTER
Ruri Hoshino

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really hate to think on how much I've spent on anime and manga. My head would explode.

When travelling, set no limits. Just experience it, live the moment and enjoy the ride.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: