Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Does anime make a good gift?

Does anime make a good gift?
Author
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Does anime make a good gift? Reply with quote
I was wondering, is anime something that would appeal to everyone? If you gave a friend a DVD to watch, is it likely that they would enjoy it, possibly even become an anime fan? More specifically, would The Animatrix make a good gift for a friend who is a die-hard fan of DBZ, but is not an anime fan (but they don't hate it, just neutral), and likes the Matrix (but nowhere near as much as DBZ)? If it helps, my friend is a girl, but is not interested in fashion and that kind of thing.
napalm68
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Odd question to ask. In short, no, anime does not appeal to everyone. There is such a thing as personal preference.

Animatrix - hmm, I'm an anime fan and was a fan of the matrix but only one story appealed to me in it, and the rest I was just wishing they would end. So in that regard, on the basis that I didn't like it as an anime fan it obviously doesn't appeal to "everyone".

Try the Cowboy Bebop Movie for a good quick intro of high quality anime with a very, very _wide_ appeal.
tekkenite
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, thanks, but are you sure Cowboy Bebop would appeal to non-anime fans as well? Also, is date a factor? It's just that you could imagine some people being offended or something at receiving a (what they may see as old) DVD, which they may not even enjoy. Are the DBZ movies any good?
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If she liked the Matrix, then the Animatrix DVD would be a good gift, especially if she's bit of a tomboy. Or you could buy her an event ticket, like for a concert, a rave, or a club, .., etc. Failing that, you could always take her out for dinner or a restaurant. It really depends what she is like. This is a valentine's gift, yes? Razz
Tularis
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personally I only buy anime for those are really interested in it and who I know really well. As we all know anime is very diverse so I like to get something where I have a good idea that my friend would at least partially like. There are some exceptions though; as was mentioned earlier if your friend is a huge Matrix fan then its not such a bad idea to get the Animatrix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Requiem
Linn Syun-Rock Dreu Haider Jinto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd give her something more 'traditional', like the aforementioned concert ticket etc, and just lend her a dvd or two. that way you don't have the chance of it backfiring in your face Smile
tekkenite
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
This is a valentine's gift, yes? Razz

Errr...No, actually. You see, that would be homosexual activity then. But that was thoughtful advice, so thanks anyway.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
LMAO Laughing Laughing

Quote:
You see, that would be homosexual activity then.
Well .... I don't see anything wrong with that! Razz Wink

Sorry Tekkenite, I thought you were a dude trying to make a move on his girl.

Man, all this gender confusion is doing my head in this week. Laughing
Tony
浜崎 あゆみ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anime only makes a good gift when the person is at least interested somewhat to anime, like through TV.

Best way to get into anime is from TV gradually to DVD releases. Shoving a DVD in front of their face may not make them like it.
tekkenite
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
LMAO Laughing Laughing

Quote:
You see, that would be homosexual activity then.
Well .... I don't see anything wrong with that! Razz Wink

Sorry Tekkenite, I thought you were a dude trying to make a move on his girl.

Man, all this gender confusion is doing my head in this week. Laughing

Haha, no problem. It happens all the time. Well, no, actually, but I have to say something and - oh crap, I've said too much.
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could always try AMG.

It is one of the greatest anime movies of all time.
Kei
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Schroedinger's_Cat wrote:
You could always try AMG.

It is one of the greatest anime movies of all time.

That statement is only half correct.

It is the greatest movie of all time.
jestermasterx
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is AMG?
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jestermasterx wrote:
What is AMG?

Ah, Megamisama! / {Ah | Oh } My Goddess!

And it's not the best film ever; that would be Millennium Actress.
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:
jestermasterx wrote:
What is AMG?

Ah, Megamisama! / {Ah | Oh } My Goddess!

And it's not the best film ever; that would be Millennium Actress.

Note that this is only an opinion, but I think Keitaro is much closer to the truth than you are Razz

And the movie is Ah My Goddess. The OVA series is Oh My Goddess. Just clarifying to prevent any confusion. Smile
Trunk's Girl
Madboard Mod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A little off topic, but I recently received my Mini-Goddess box set! WAI! Very Happy (I have yet to watch it though).
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool!
I haven't watched anything other than the episode in AMG, but it was pretty fun.

Enjoy!
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back on the original topic:

For giving to someone you don't know to be an anime fan, anime is a poor gift, because it's quite expensive [if you can't get a gift that's likely to be better recieved for $30, you aren't trying], and may not go down well.

For someone whom you know to be an anime fan, anime is *still* quite expensive, and there's also the possibility that you buy them something they've already got, or [same as above] that you buy something that they don't actually like.

None of this applies if you know the receiver's tastes and current library well enough to reliably buy something that they're likely to enjoy and don't currently have, apart from the cost [which remains high].

In general, anime merchandise is probably a better gift for an anime fan than anime itself, because it's cheaper, and because it's less likely to already be owned; this goes for pretty much *all* hobbies, actually. Tragic, but there you are.
yjs
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen many friends accepting anime by watching Cowboy Bebop The Movie, not many with Eva though! Cool
Gouki
Vanilla H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gunsmith Cat's might be a good choice. Or Spiritied Away (seriously, if you don't like that there is somehing seriously wrong with you.).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thing Spirited Away would appeal more to chicks than guys. For guys with severe case of ADD, Initial D would be more approritate, even though I didn't think highly of it.
tekkenite
Washu Hakubi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
I thing Spirited Away would appeal more to chicks than guys. For guys with severe case of ADD, Initial D would be more approritate, even though I didn't think highly of it.

Hm, my friend doesn't seem to like manga (they find it boring), and dislikes romantic and psychological series. They don't seem to like mecha/sci-fi either, even though they said they liked end-of-the-world type series. They rejected Akira when I showed it to them, and even wouldn't read the DBZ manga at Borders, but for some reason really liked One Piece. They don't really know what it's about, and seemed to have only read about the first three pages, but now want to buy one volume ($17.95), because it "looks cool".
Schroedinger's_Cat
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:

There is much to be said about the proportional increase of acceptability in relation to the size of the engine.

Tis an unfortunate, but true, law of our society.
no_need_for_nick
Shinobu Nagumo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've introduced quite a few of my friends to anime and most liked it, however I wouldn't get it for them for a present. I'd get them something I know they will really like. But yeah one or two of my friends didn't like it but they at least had a good reason "It wasn't really my kinda thing" and you know I guess its good they didn't say "Too childish" man when people say that I flip. Only a few of my friends to go through my " get-to-watch-anime-thingo-majigo" they will be the hardest to convert Twisted Evil

Bit off topic but yeah sorry
Toxic Rabbit
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anime can make a very good gift for the right person.

Personally I think that you can't go wrong in giving someone a Miyazaki film. People who've never watched anime are impressed with the differences between it and the other western animation they've seen, and if a Miyazaki film doesn't lead to the receiver to seek out more anime, it at least holds its own among the other DVD's in their collection as a quality alternate entertainment option. I gave a mate of mine 'The Castle of Cagliostro' VHS among other things for his 21st present and he and his girlfriend really loved it. When they got married I got them the Limited Edition 'Spirited Away' 2-Disc set, and again they loved it and it's something they'll show their kids when they get round to busting a few out!

It's really a matter of knowing what appeals to people and choosing anime that reflects their tastes. Miyazaki is a good option because his films have such wide appeal without so much of the gratuity prevalent in most anime, which can shock the uninitiated!

Just take a moment to think whether someone is going to be accepting of the anime style or not. That's probably the key to deciding whether anime would make a good gift or not. If they're a stupid narrow-minded butt-head then anime probably isn't for them!
jestermasterx
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is anime really a selfish gift? I personally don't believe so at all, but you can how people might. Of course, it's not justified, but many people are, well, people - imperfect, backstabbing, annoying, annoyed, greedy, self-centred, fault-finding pricks.

See, if you gave someone who might not be into anime evn a Miyazaki film, suppose they don't like it,. which is still understandable with "normal" people; many are "past" the stage of cartoons and will never like anime or any cartoons (stupid people; they're often the ones very disliked, and understandably). And, because they dislike anime, they could see your gift of it to them as selfish, as you gave them something you like, even if you honestly didn't know, and thought it was a great gift.

It's just unfair; you like something other people don't, and they ca;; you obsessed. In some cases, that's understandable, but anime? It's a great gift - expensive. It shows you care, yes, by money, as you're willing to spend moeny on someone. So in my view, it's good, but don't get it for anyone who's not a close friend who enjoys it, or your money will be well-wasted.
Seiji III
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Does anime make a good gift? Reply with quote
Yes. Anime makes a good gift because if influences other people into starting their own collections and enjoying the Japanese culture of animation. It allow you to keep on collecting more and more until you have every single episode or DVD of the collection. Remember anime doesn't make a good gift it makes a great collector's item in the future
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm gonna say no, unless they're already a fan. Non-fans seem to have a stigma toward animation, they probably wouldn't give it a second look. Even if you're buying for an anime fan, there's still a few things to consider:
1) Are they collecting this series? - Nothing's more annoying then having to start a new series because someone bought volume 1 for you
2) Do they like this series? - I'd be pretty pissed if someone gave me Dragonball!

Basically, unless you're buying for an anime fan, and you know exactly what they want, anime doesn't make for a very good gift.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why isn't anybody stopping this n00b from digging up threads from years ago?
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CruelGenesis wrote:
Why isn't anybody stopping this n00b from digging up threads from years ago?

You can't do it without banning the git.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thread over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: