Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Resin Models

Resin Models
Author
Doraemon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Resin Models Reply with quote
Not sure if this is the right place to put this?
I want to buy some resin models, however i don't want to paint them myself (would end up looking really bad)

Does anyone know of someone or a place that paints them professionally in Melbourne?

Thanks in advance
Gydafud
Whinges too much

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you give me some money I'll paint one for you. The amount of money specifies how good though.

But seriously, I am not sure. Yellowpages maybe?
SilverTongue
Lin Minmay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume its Anime Resins Razz I reckon your best bet would be to get in contact with a local hobbyshop, theyll usually know someone who could get the job done Smile

Make sure its the style you want though Razz
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i ask my local store about painting them and they said it would cost a forutne as the time and effort that goes inot them.
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
El_Haroldo
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, great way to do business. Assuming it wasn't outside of thier talents, couldn't they have at least worked out a price and seen if you were willing to pay?
Mr Waffle
TEH WAFFLES!!11!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Building a model and painting it isn't an exact science. If something's wrong with the cast they have to fix it, if they stuff up the paint they have to fix it... etc... I read there are professional Gundam painters in Japan, but they charge $500+ for their work, simply because of the amount of time and effort that goes into these things. I remember reading a walk-through of a HK guy building&painting a Perfect Grade Gundam, it took him ~80 hours. True it was to amazing quality, but that's the level they work at. I doubt many modellers would be willing to do a lazy job and have their name attached to it.
Eva00
Doraemon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind paying a bit if it was good but $500 seems a bit excessive.

As long as it looked similar to what was on the box i would be happy. I think i might look for a local air brush artist.

Thanks for the help.
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
hell id paint the things myself its just the fancy stuff id have the problem with like eyes and shading.
Even if their eyes are scorched.Even if their arms are writhing, they will never stop marching head,guided by the will'o the wisp.They will will their way and shoot at point-blak distance,the footsteps that have thrown life away, the trigger that brings death.,the 901 Anti-Tank-Trooper.
just watchen
Doraemon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can I ask a different question about statues here
Resin or PVC statues are all made in China,where in china??
I ask this because I'm trying to talk myself into a holiday
I thought China might be nice and then I thought about the statue
and wondered if that would be the type of place that would let a tourist
do a factory type tour and see them being made..If not I might just do Cherry blossom tour instead
thank you
Elric of Grans
Spaurh Aron Sekpadao Letopanyu Peneju

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have always liked the look of garage kits, but lack the skill. On the other hand, I have never seen any good PVCs (though I have seen pictures of some great ones). Does anyone here collect PVCs, and if so can you recommend places to check them out/buy them? I know I am not going to get a Creamy Mami for my shelf, but a Peorth or Archer would be nice Smile
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Eva00 wrote:
I wouldn't mind paying a bit if it was good but $500 seems a bit excessive.

An old post I'm responding to, I know, but the low value people put on the time of others sort of gives me the irrits, so...

Point a: If you're paying someone to do it, it has to be worth their time; this means they'll price it so that they'll get a decent income per each hour that they think it'll take.
Point b: there are significant overheads with doing stuff as an independant contractor, so the hourly rate they'll price things at will be rather significantly more than what PAYE wages are, at least 50% more.
Point c: people who are highly skilled charge more than others; this is only fair.
Point d: painting a model takes several hours easilly, more if you actually want it to be nice.

Fifteen hours for a decent paint-job strikes me as not unreasonable. At five hundred for the job, that's 33 an hour before materials, tax, or overheads, equating to an equivalent hourly income of, what, probably about 15-24?

That's cheap, man.
John_Connor
Hajime Saitou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Resin Models Reply with quote
Eva00 wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place to put this?
I want to buy some resin models, however i don't want to paint them myself (would end up looking really bad)

Does anyone know of someone or a place that paints them professionally in Melbourne?

Thanks in advance

I know your post is about painting resin models, but let me give you a tip about buying them.

DO NOT EVER, EVER BUY THEM FROM AN ANIME STORE IN CHINATOWN!

What REALLY gets me about the anime stores in Chinatown is that they get resin models that normally cost $3-$4 and they've got the hide to charge triple, even quadruple for them Mad THEN, they act like they've cornered the market and have an "exclusive" supply.

Same thing happened with the PSP when it launched. A lot of people missed out on getting a PSP because the Chinese were buying them up in droves to sell at inflated prices.

And they aggressive go-getter whenever the Japanese Prime Minister visits Yasukuni shrine Wink
coldfire
Pants on head crazy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And thing with those resin statues they sell is if the character is sitting down it looks like their legs are fuzed and one i seen that most of the stored were selling all had crossed eyes.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: