Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

DRAGON BALL Z UNCUT: THE DEFINITIVE REMASTERED RELEASE



Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
DRAGON BALL Z UNCUT: THE DEFINITIVE REMASTERED RELEASE
Author
Message
Piccolo Daimoe
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 140
Location: Melbourne Victoria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
sigh.. the positives are simply that we have the episodes complete and uncut in the format that simply the show was meant to be in, the presentation in the 6 disks for the whole season and the impressive prices.. ok sure a small negative is the widesreen presentation but most movies are widscreen nowadays so really not that important.. can we move on please i'm sick of being distracted from my watching of Rome on dvd to answer these emails..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
The Letter P
Koishi Herikawa


Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 630
Location: Brisbane, QLD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Roffle coptor, these aren't emails.

And Instel says it better than me. What you're seeing is not uncut. Plus there's a difference between something being originally in WS and losing 20% of teh footagez to be WS.
_________________
(Still a) Loyal Frog soldier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Piccolo Daimoe
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 140
Location: Melbourne Victoria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have mail washer and i get updates.. those are emails.. you guys are seriously boring me i bid you good night..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
The Letter P
Koishi Herikawa


Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 630
Location: Brisbane, QLD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those are, but these aren't. Mwahahahahahaha. Roffle coptor to teh extremez!!!!!!!!111
_________________
(Still a) Loyal Frog soldier.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Instel
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Posts: 183

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Piccolo Daimoe wrote:
sigh.. the positives are simply that we have the episodes complete and uncut in the format that simply the show was meant to be in, the presentation in the 6 disks for the whole season and the impressive prices.. ok sure a small negative is the widesreen presentation but most movies are widscreen nowadays so really not that important.. can we move on please i'm sick of being distracted from my watching of Rome on dvd to answer these emails..


Emails.

Rome is a show you're not good enough for.

Most movies and such are in Widescreen these days because they are filmed to be in widescreen! DBZ was not meant to be in widescreen, the TV series at the very least. It was made as a TV show back in the 1980's/early 90's, when widescreen TVs did not exist, and it did not have a theatrical showing (as TV shows were not in theatres). The movies are a different case all together.

If it were how it originally was, the Region 2 Japanese DVD release (it IS a Japanese show) would have been cropped to widescreen and filtered to hell and back. it is not. The chinese, spanish, french and previous releases were 4:3 which contained MORE footage than these widescreen DVDs.

As I said before, it would not have been so bad if they had atleast finished the proper, 4:3 releases and given people a choice. Just because it's cheap does not mean it's perfect, presentable or even a proper option. If this were another series, this would be instantly considered a defective product, but since it's DBZ and they're obviously aiming it for impulse buyers, there you go.

My advice- stop defending it if all you can rely on is FUNimation's corp speak/lies and "omg teh widescreen".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
klown911_2002
BT


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 1466
Location: Murarrie / BBHC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
AMEN!
_________________
Information Is Absolute Power, Absolute Power Is An Illusion.

Jin-Roh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
holy_damn
Doraemon


Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Touche Instel Very Happy . We deserve better than this. DBZ is not something you just dump something on.

It's a series of tubes. And Funimation is the company that clogs the tubes with lies, false claims and quick gimmicks so that it will never see a decent release.

Quote:
you guys are seriously boring me i bid you good night..


AKA - I lose
Piccolo, you are the definition of ignorance.
_________________
Rock my Dragon. The one in my pants. .........It will now grant you 3 wishes.
Wish I - I wanna be Super Saiyan 9 Zillion
Wish II - Eternal Pizza so I won't go hungry
Wish III - The first wish again except a billion times better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Piccolo Daimoe
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 140
Location: Melbourne Victoria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
what? geez you guys are sad i know the show wasn't intented origionaly as widescreeen being for tv back before dvd was even invented i only bought series one cause i was sick of not having it in my collection. and if you guys feel you need to try and score points on me over a tv show granted dragonball is a fine show but go find something better to brag about.. your acting like children.. Please let it drop
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
klown911_2002
BT


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 1466
Location: Murarrie / BBHC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Piccolo Daimoe wrote:
Please let it drop


Says the person who just resurrected a thread 5 days old; granted its only 5 days...but had you not posted that probably would have been the end of it.

You Fail.
_________________
Information Is Absolute Power, Absolute Power Is An Illusion.

Jin-Roh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Piccolo Daimoe
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 140
Location: Melbourne Victoria

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
not at all i just noticed the comment and was stunned by the reply now i'ts the end.. find something else to do with your self than this.. i'm done..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
klown911_2002
BT


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 1466
Location: Murarrie / BBHC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone else see what just happened?

You made my point. Well done.
_________________
Information Is Absolute Power, Absolute Power Is An Illusion.

Jin-Roh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Instel
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Posts: 183

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Piccolo Daimoe wrote:
not at all i just noticed the comment and was stunned by the reply now i'ts the end.. find something else to do with your self than this.. i'm done..


I dont know what's sadder- the fact that you're wrong or that you're trying to 'win' an already over argument on the internet about a cartoon you're trying to say you don't actually care about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo


Joined: 19 Apr 2002
Posts: 6888
Location: In a crate somewhere in Brisbane, Qld

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can't we all just watch Naruto and forget about this Razz
_________________
Densha Otoko Is My Hero!!!
Sly's Kamehameha Teh r0x0r!!

Anime News Network Australia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Piccolo Daimoe
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 140
Location: Melbourne Victoria

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm game..tired of being mis understood by simpletons
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Gouki
Vanilla H


Joined: 01 Oct 2001
Posts: 6599
Location: Ballarat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
madmangohan wrote:
Can't we all just watch a decent Shonen Jump series, like Bleach, and forget about this Razz


Fixed.
_________________
Give in to the demon inside. It will set you free...
"Shun Gokuu Sattsu!!!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
klown911_2002
BT


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 1466
Location: Murarrie / BBHC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Piccolo Daimoe wrote:
i'm game..tired of being mis understood by simpletons


You're claiming that you're better than everyone here. You resurrected a dead thread to try push your point one more time and now that you've failed completely you're taking it one step further by making a pathetic attempt to make us look like idiots. Wow, just wow. Words cannot describe the failure I would be feeling now; were I standing in your shoes.
_________________
Information Is Absolute Power, Absolute Power Is An Illusion.

Jin-Roh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lynky
Nia Teppelin


Joined: 20 Mar 2004
Posts: 797

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought Season 1 just the other day... even though I do have a widescreen TV and all, it does feel cramped for the most part and it can get annoying at times. I'd rather it have been released in its original format and cleaned up properly.

I do like the 5.1 track with the English audio with the Japanese soundtrack, but yeah, even though I do have a widescreen TV, it would've been nice to have it in its original form like the Dragon Ball collections I have.
_________________
Join Twilight Lynk, for those who like to talk about the vidya.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Instel
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Posts: 183

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Piccolo Daimoe wrote:
i'm game..tired of being mis understood by simpletons


I don't think it's a case of us 'simpletons' misunderstanding you, I think it's a case of you thinking you're right when you have no solid argument besides "THIS IS AWESOME" for all of the wrong reasons.

If you can somehow prove to me that these sets are right based on what I said, or at least show me how to 'understand' your point then you get to win a big gold medal as the winner of an internet argument.

Dealo?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Piccolo Daimoe
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 140
Location: Melbourne Victoria

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i was using the word simpletons because for sure i would have prefered a full screen version but considering the way dvd's are going and the shape of most modern flat screen tv's are i can deal with the difference.. and the fact that you guys (you know who you are) skipped over what i said and get all worked up over the difference and not just be content with what's been made and it's cheaper not perfect but good enough... sure debate can be fun but you were missing my points which i've now made a little clearer than i had before perhaps... and i've been a fan of dragon ball since it 1st showed up on cheez tv ever since.. as well as others like oz soprano's rome .. farscape buffy angel etc

if that enough to settle this and move on do do we continue with going back and forth...?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Instel
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Posts: 183

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Taking what you've said entirely based on that last post, I can't say I ever disagreed with you on things going wide- it's an undeniable fact that if anyone did try to deny, would be completely incorrect. However, the entire point of having widescreen was NOT to decrease the ammount of available picture, which this release is doing. It flies straight in the face of what people have wanted from widescreen releases (preserving original aspect ratio), and considering the ammount of 4:3 TV programming, as originally filmed in 4:3, being released in 4:3, DBZ is not part of standard that exists- it is an intentional error made by a company that does not give a damn to an almost hilarious extent.

The reason why people carry on about this, the reason why they cannot accept things because 'it's so cheap and available' is because they actually have standards. Not everyone can be bought off, and it's not as if we're expecting Dragonbox masters or something better, like the show being reanimated (LOGH, I'm looking at you). We simply want something by the standards which basically every other TV show offers- the original aspect ratio. The fact is, these sets aren't 'good enough', and while sure, we don't HAVE to buy them, as potential consumers we have every right to ask/demand some kind of satisfaction.

Remember, both FUNimation and Madman released an unfairly priced, unreasonably broken up line which they didn't have the decency to properly conclude. This leaves a lot of people who had been collecting the show for seven years and basically supporting them through their baby steps undeniably frustrated and irritated with how they've been treated- poorly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Piccolo Daimoe
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 140
Location: Melbourne Victoria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
sigh.. I KNOW we're getting a less than ideal product and i'm not being bought off or what ever.. i'm not so fixated about this product that i'm going to hold out indefinalty and not be able to watch a show that i truly enjoy.. because simply i have better things to do even though i love dragonball

please stop attempting to force me to agree with you with all your details which are solid and factual but i simply dont have the time to spin my wheels over it..

now i'm off to bed with a good book listening to the abc ..

please dont continue this you and i are simply coming from different views and arn't going to agree
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Instel
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Posts: 183

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Piccolo Daimoe wrote:
sigh.. I KNOW we're getting a less than ideal product and i'm not being bought off or what ever.. i'm not so fixated about this product that i'm going to hold out indefinalty and not be able to watch a show that i truly enjoy.. because simply i have better things to do even though i love dragonball

please stop attempting to force me to agree with you with all your details which are solid and factual but i simply dont have the time to spin my wheels over it..

now i'm off to bed with a good book listening to the abc ..

please dont continue this you and i are simply coming from different views and arn't going to agree


I'm going to just pull what you'd normally pull-

I'm right, you're wrong, I win.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stone_monkey
Team Edward FTW!!!


Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 1959
Location: In the forest with Edward Cullen!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys.
_________________
Madmans' InuYasha Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Instel
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Posts: 183

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
stone_monkey wrote:
Guys.


It's not so much that it's off topic but I won't argue with you on it.

I guess if I had to put what I have to say in a more dignified, inoffensive way, it's that if you can't see or care about the problems, then that's cool. But they are there, and you shouldn't feel compelled to stick up for a company that is, for all intents and purposes aside, screwing people over.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynky
Nia Teppelin


Joined: 20 Mar 2004
Posts: 797

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it's moved beyond that now. The arguments have all been laid out on the table and there are those who agree and those who disagree. It's all been said, and then said again, and again and again, etc...

Even though I don't like the fact that DBZ is in widescreen when it's not meant to be, I'll be buying the rest of the season sets as they are going to be released... I like the 5.1 track with the English voices over the Japanese soundtrack :p
_________________
Join Twilight Lynk, for those who like to talk about the vidya.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stone_monkey
Team Edward FTW!!!


Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 1959
Location: In the forest with Edward Cullen!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Instel wrote:
[..]
It's not so much that it's off topic but I won't argue with you on it.


I beg to differ...You are off topic....and you are arguing over something that is trivial.

Quote:
I guess if I had to put what I have to say in a more dignified, inoffensive way, it's that if you can't see or care about the problems, then that's cool. But they are there, and you shouldn't feel compelled to stick up for a company that is, for all intents and purposes aside, screwing people over.


How many times do you have to point that out?
If anyone has a problem with the company, email them and tell them, but don't constantly rub people the wrong way because they don't agree with your opinions.
And Instel, caring about the "problems", personally I don't think there is one, I LOVE watching DBZ in any shape or form. Unfortunately this has become a "dead thread" for those who like to thrash an already over- debated topic.

Again, stay on topic please
kthanx
_________________
Madmans' InuYasha Forum
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Instel
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Posts: 183

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The topic being the sets.

The sets having problems.

The topic branching in to several different areas, but all in the end coming back to the same topic, which is the sets.

Christ you lot are simple, aren't you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Piccolo Daimoe
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 140
Location: Melbourne Victoria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
sigh we're not simple at all.. we are just not as upset by it as you are.. insulting us without actually knowing us.. a shame that i even have to bother coming back to say this to you sintel...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mad Anime Fan
Banned


Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Posts: 6693
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
micpp wrote:
[..]



How I wish Madman could do this, bypass Funimation and license the Dragonbox masters straight from Toei. They'd probably get a lot of people from the US importing it if that happened.
At the very least I wonder WHY Madman actually couldn't give 2 options as in so people who have widescreen can view it as such, but those of us who don't can view it in 4.3
Wish they'ld added an option or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Piccolo Daimoe
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 140
Location: Melbourne Victoria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah that would have been great.. everyone would be happy then...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
klown911_2002
BT


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 1466
Location: Murarrie / BBHC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Feedback not Flaming
Thank God.
_________________
Information Is Absolute Power, Absolute Power Is An Illusion.

Jin-Roh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Piccolo Daimoe
Hajime Saitou


Joined: 30 May 2002
Posts: 140
Location: Melbourne Victoria

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
heh yeah far more preferable sure it's not perfect with the new release but could be worse.. this is much nicer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
micpp
Doraemon


Joined: 14 Aug 2004
Posts: 96

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mad Anime Fan wrote:
[..]

At the very least I wonder WHY Madman actually couldn't give 2 options as in so people who have widescreen can view it as such, but those of us who don't can view it in 4.3
Wish they'ld added an option or something.


It seems that Madman is only allowed to release stuff in the same format that the FUNimation releases are. It's probably some sort of contract thing.
_________________
Insert humorous/thought provoking signature here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
klown911_2002
BT


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 1466
Location: Murarrie / BBHC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I think there is something along those lines in place.
_________________
Information Is Absolute Power, Absolute Power Is An Illusion.

Jin-Roh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mad Anime Fan
Banned


Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Posts: 6693
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
A statement from sly would be better so as to know what the deal is sort of thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
klown911_2002
BT


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 1466
Location: Murarrie / BBHC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was thinking of Funtastic not FUNimation

Lomax wrote:
Funimation and Funtastic are two completely different, unrelated companies.


But that doesn't mean what micpp said was wrong. As Mad Anime Fan mentioned an official statement would be good.
_________________
Information Is Absolute Power, Absolute Power Is An Illusion.

Jin-Roh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
micpp
Doraemon


Joined: 14 Aug 2004
Posts: 96

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
My logic is based on the fact that a lot of Madman's releases are sublicensed from the US licensor, which in the case of DBZ is FUNimation, and as such tend to be simply a PAL conversion of the US release.
_________________
Insert humorous/thought provoking signature here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
klown911_2002
BT


Joined: 15 Nov 2004
Posts: 1466
Location: Murarrie / BBHC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah...that applies for a fairly significant portion of Madman's titles; what's your point?
_________________
Information Is Absolute Power, Absolute Power Is An Illusion.

Jin-Roh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo


Joined: 19 Apr 2002
Posts: 6888
Location: In a crate somewhere in Brisbane, Qld

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mad Anime Fan wrote:
[..]

At the very least I wonder WHY Madman actually couldn't give 2 options as in so people who have widescreen can view it as such, but those of us who don't can view it in 4.3
Wish they'ld added an option or something.
I can give you two reasons why it won't happen

Contract. In the majority anime titles madman releases, they get what's known as a sublicence to distribute it to certain regions. These contracts can always have different clauses that madman have to obey by if they want to get the title and keep everyone happy. Funimation knows DBZ is a cash cow, and they can't have another company release something better, so they stick a clause in the contract baring madman from using anything other than the masters Funimation give them. Of course this is good and bad for madman, as Funimation control basically all the content madman can use, but for madman it's good as the only effort they need to put into a release is converting the masters to pal and changing a menu or two as well as the trailers. Sure madman could go crazy and disobey the contract, but that would not be a pretty sight.

The other reason is basically disc capacity. Having the two options on the same disc would require alot more room as there would be two video streams per episode instead of one. Now it can be done, but at the cost of compression and lower quality images. Another option would be to use double sided dvd's, but I don't think madman's ever done a release with them and they aren't the most common thing around, plus it would push production costs up and possibly even the price. As would including more discs to the package to cater for the extra room they'd need to keep a good quality.
_________________
Densha Otoko Is My Hero!!!
Sly's Kamehameha Teh r0x0r!!

Anime News Network Australia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha


Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Posts: 2593
Location: My nan's house

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Its not about having the 2 options on the one dvd.

Its about actually finishing the original release of the series. If they gave people a chance of finish off the original uncut release of the series first nobody would care and there wouldn't be as many arguments and complaining about Funi trying to pass off a cropped version as the definitive release.

I'm sure there would still be people out there who would buy the widescreen version even if they already owned the proper uncut release.

One of the main things that really annoys me is that if Funi where planning to do this anyway why did they even bother releasing the first 7 dvds. The majority of it was filler and pretty boring but as soon as they hit the good point they stopped the releases. So now you have to buy all the boring filler episodes again just so you can see a cropped version of the good bits.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Slykura
Madman Staff


Joined: 13 Jan 2001
Posts: 13591

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
We woudl have done that IF MASTERS EXISITED. Therefore it is impossible to release it/finish it off anyway. Uncut masters for season 1 and 2 masters (i.e. up to episode 67) never existed.
_________________
Watch FREE Anime Episodes
Madman Anime Festival
Madman National Cosplay Championship
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SuperNamek
Doraemon


Joined: 23 Aug 2007
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
now this is a little off topic from your current conversation but I figured this would be the best place to get an answer.
I recently bought the season 1 & 2 releases and I'm loving it (I haven't watched DBZ in so long that its been great to revisit everything, even with a fraction of the picture missing). Now I'm not hardcore into the Japanese audio so I always use the American dub with the American music, now I live in Canada and when DBZ aired here it was the Ocean Dub up until the Goku faces Jeice and Burter then it switched to Funi with Bruce Faulconer's music which I loved dearly. I've been watching the sets up to the part where Goku just showed up on Namek and he's showing up Jeice & Burter with his insane speed/power, I haven't recognized any of the music as of yet and it seems to be lacking Bruce's touch of the almost grunge-like guitar riffs. So finally to my question, is it Bruce's music thats in these dvd sets or a new score that Funi made specifically for these sets?
Cheers


Edit 26/08/07 - I just finished the rest of season 2, the very next episode I was going to watch after posting was where the score transition was made to Bruce's score, needless to say I was quite relieved Smile
Thanks anyways.
Cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mad Anime Fan
Banned


Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Posts: 6693
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
We woudl have done that IF MASTERS EXISITED. Therefore it is impossible to release it/finish it off anyway. Uncut masters for season 1 and 2 masters (i.e. up to episode 67) never existed.
True point because Funimation never did em back then, heck Funimation didn't handle DBZ then.
But on the other hand I do recall in the past a few people asked more then once like when Funimation took over why Freiza and Androids/Cell saga didn't have Japanese language options, the masters exsisted, not sure if the US got them though.
But yeah some of it is confusing.

And Madmangohan yeah I know some of that, but I wanted to hear from Sly what the official word was and stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Personbot
Cagalli Yula Attha


Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Posts: 2593
Location: My nan's house

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
We woudl have done that IF MASTERS EXISITED. Therefore it is impossible to release it/finish it off anyway. Uncut masters for season 1 and 2 masters (i.e. up to episode 67) never existed.


I find that excuse hard to swallow.

If uncut masters never existed for seasons 1 and 2 where did the uncut and uncropped footage for the first 7 dvds of the original uncut series 1 release come from?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou


Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Posts: 502
Location: Sydney

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personbot wrote:
I find that excuse hard to swallow.

If uncut masters never existed for seasons 1 and 2 where did the uncut and uncropped footage for the first 7 dvds of the original uncut series 1 release come from?


While it's true that uncut, uncropped masters of those episodes do potentially exist with Funi, and definately exist in Japan (I can only hope that one day there will be an English Dragonbox release. >_>), the problem is that Madman don't have access to said masters.

Madman can't release what they don't have. It's 100% Funimation's fault.
_________________
I challenged Ash Ketchum to a Pokémon Battle.

This clearly makes me the very best, like no one ever was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Slykura
Madman Staff


Joined: 13 Jan 2001
Posts: 13591

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personbot wrote:
[..]



I find that excuse hard to swallow.

If uncut masters never existed for seasons 1 and 2 where did the uncut and uncropped footage for the first 7 dvds of the original uncut series 1 release come from?


They were mastered. I.e. materials were readily available for those. But when ti came time to do the rest, Funimation's strategy changed and we are now presented with the uncut widescreen sets. 4x3 remastered masters for episodes 31-67 don't exist. That's what I've been trying to say all along. Yes Funimation did release 3 more volumes before cancelling the 4x3 releases, but we decided not to release those as we could not put them into a boxset. It would have also further upset those who bought another 3 volumes instead of being able to have the choice of purchasing the new wide screen sets.

We're not trying to make excuses. We want to release this series as quickly, as complete and as consistent as we can possibly do. Whether you can accept this FACT or not is up to you, but don't call us out for something we don't have any control over. That's really unfair when we are trying our best to keep as many fans as happy as possible under the circumstances.
_________________
Watch FREE Anime Episodes
Madman Anime Festival
Madman National Cosplay Championship
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
holy_damn
Doraemon


Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slykura wrote:
[..]



They were mastered. I.e. materials were readily available for those. But when ti came time to do the rest, Funimation's strategy changed and we are now presented with the uncut widescreen sets. 4x3 remastered masters for episodes 31-67 don't exist. That's what I've been trying to say all along. Yes Funimation did release 3 more volumes before cancelling the 4x3 releases, but we decided not to release those as we could not put them into a boxset. It would have also further upset those who bought another 3 volumes instead of being able to have the choice of purchasing the new wide screen sets.

We're not trying to make excuses. We want to release this series as quickly, as complete and as consistent as we can possibly do. Whether you can accept this FACT or not is up to you, but don't call us out for something we don't have any control over. That's really unfair when we are trying our best to keep as many fans as happy as possible under the circumstances.


Ok, I think I understand. But can you explain what you mean by 'They were mastered'? Are you saying Funimation remastered them and then suddenly decided to do the same thing again only butcher them up a little? I mean sure they're cheaper but as I said earlier, everything else about this release was laughable. How can you possibly miss so many glitches? The Ultimate Uncut was damn near perfect and had everything we needed.

Oh yeah, and when we complain, it's because of Funimation. How can they keep milking a cow?
_________________
Rock my Dragon. The one in my pants. .........It will now grant you 3 wishes.
Wish I - I wanna be Super Saiyan 9 Zillion
Wish II - Eternal Pizza so I won't go hungry
Wish III - The first wish again except a billion times better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
madmangohan
Noooooooooooooooo


Joined: 19 Apr 2002
Posts: 6888
Location: In a crate somewhere in Brisbane, Qld

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
holy_damn wrote:

Ok, I think I understand. But can you explain what you mean by 'They were mastered'? Are you saying Funimation remastered them and then suddenly decided to do the same thing again only butcher them up a little?
Basically. Masters are basically the footage used for dvd release, so by the saying 'they were mastered', basically meant that funimation already had the material for the discs ready to go.

holy_damn wrote:

Oh yeah, and when we complain, it's because of Funimation. How can they keep milking a cow?
Because DBZ sells, and if anything, it sells more due to the games and stuff havnig good releases.
_________________
Densha Otoko Is My Hero!!!
Sly's Kamehameha Teh r0x0r!!

Anime News Network Australia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
SaiyamanMS
Minawa Andou


Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Posts: 502
Location: Sydney

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
holy_damn wrote:
I mean sure they're cheaper but as I said earlier, everything else about this release was laughable. How can you possibly miss so many glitches? The Ultimate Uncut was damn near perfect and had everything we needed.


I disagree slightly with those two statements I italicized, while the Ultimate Uncuts were 100% superior to the Season Sets in terms of the Japanese version, the dub is immensely improved by the addition of the dub with Japanese BGM option. (Especially considering the purely horrific music used on the dub track of the Ultimate Uncut. Faulconer was greatly superior to the guy who did these episodes.)

Although, outside of that minor point about the dub... Yeah, what you said just about hits the nail on the head. >_>
_________________
I challenged Ash Ketchum to a Pokémon Battle.

This clearly makes me the very best, like no one ever was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
holy_damn
Doraemon


Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So.... is anyone else planning to buy these sets, just for the hell of it? They may have been sliced up but it's still DBZ damnit!

Even though there's so many faults, i'm planning to buy them all anyway Very Happy .
_________________
Rock my Dragon. The one in my pants. .........It will now grant you 3 wishes.
Wish I - I wanna be Super Saiyan 9 Zillion
Wish II - Eternal Pizza so I won't go hungry
Wish III - The first wish again except a billion times better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:      

Page 7 of 9


Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum