Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Computer Tech Help thread(For ALL computer problems)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Computer Tech Help thread(For ALL computer problems)
Author
Shiina Tamai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, need a little bit of help here.

recently bought myself a new PC (AMD 6000+, 2gig DDR2, 8500GT, 160gig + 500gig Sata-2 HDD)

everything works sweet, until i run a game. it'll be fine for a few minutes, then it seems like my PC has a massive heart attack, everything lags, video, sound, but only for about 10seconds. then everything goes back to normal. for.... 5-10 mins, then it happens again.

i was thinking it may have been driver issues, but i've wiped all the drivers, and re-installed the latest ones from the websites, but it still happens. any ideas?

RICE MONKEYS!!!1
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps a program in the background is causing it?
redacidman
Mayuko Chigasaki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
what's the ram spec on the video card...

it's possible you might have a bad stick of ram...

a point to note: if running on an nividia based mobo you might have problems with radeon based cards and visa-versa...

Ii running vista try switch the wyswyg interface it might stablize your game...

with the latest game i wouln't use anything under 1 256mb graphics card...
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Double post. How embarassing. Embarassed

Last edited by Kero-chan on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got my eye on a system I saw advertised in the latest Green Guide. Looks suitable for my needs and a decent price, but I would appreciate any feedback nonetheless.

That's taken from the PDF version of the Green Guide ad, found here.

In particular, I'd like to know how the CPU and graphics card rate on a scale from "outdated" to "cutting edge". The most strenuous task it will likely undertake is running WoW and Half-Life 2, but I'd like those to run really well.

I'm also curious about the Samsung HDD - are they any good? I don't need 500GB, so I could easily swap it for a lower capacity Seagate, Maxtor or Western Digital.

As for the monitor, is LG any good? I don't want to cheap out, but I really don't have a lot of money to spend and I don't want to go any smaller.

My final question is how quiet would it be with that case? I don't expect it to be completely silent, but quiet enough that you need to put your head near it to check if it's switched on (trying to describe the sound level I'd like).

While I'm at it, this system at CentreCom is a similar price, how's that one look?

Thanks in advance! Very Happy
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Centrecom one looks pretty good to me, parts i know as well or have heard good about. It'll run whatever you can chuck at it, well as far as you want to anyway

Not sure on the Green Guide one, i'm not too familar with LG parts.

If i were you i'd go the Centrecom one

If you don't want the 400gb i'll gladly take it off your hands Very Happy =P
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The one from CentreCom seems to be better value, though I'm thinking I'd downgrade the CPU slightly and upgrade the graphics card to an 8600. But if an 8500 is already more than enough for WoW and Half-Life 2, I might just save the money.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been told that quad core CPUs don't offer any significant gaming advantage over dual cores and can, due to the overheads from four CPU cores, actually perform worse in some situations.

On the other hand, we've done a lot of dealing with Centre Com, and they've been pretty good to us over the years. Dad deals with them for his work, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, I did get the feeling that the CPU was overkill for me. I figured a Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz would be plenty and that's about $100 cheaper.

I'm still curious about the graphics card though...
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Graphics card - get the highest one you can afford. Wouldn't go any lower than an 8600GT. At about $130 ea, it's a steal. Oh and an ASUS card too, as they seem to perfom a tad better for 8600GT family. And why is your kitten crying?
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tip, I was wondering which "brand" to go with. The kitty isn't crying, he's washing his face. Very Happy
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Truth is, most brands perform equally well, and differences can be marginal.
The ASUS range seems to have the edge, they don't run very hot, they also use DDR3 RAM now. I'm sure most cards do these days. Other brands to consider is perhaps XFX.
beardedgeek
Shana

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
depends the gigabyte cards top the 8800gt range, really depends on the chip on the card.

also +1 for minimum 8600gt , try a gts for a 19" monitor(/me grumbles that the 8600gts he got his 7900gt/oc'd replaced with doesn't handle 24" monitors well).

the lower clock on the quad(i think thats what your refering to) may impact gaming but you'll hit your bottle neck first in the gfx card dept.

quad core will become more relevant if you want to run things in the back ground , or in the next year or so with proper multi core games coming along.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone give me tips for a decent TV tuner? I figure it's cheaper than buying a separate TV just to watch the occasional show.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Depends on what you want (USB or Card based) and how much you are willing to spend. If you want to recieve HD, recieve both analogue and digital signals or just one or the other.

You could get a decent USB TV tuner for $70-100+ Card based ones are a bit more expensive i assume
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't care about HD because this is just a stop-gap and I don't want to spend more than necessary. I have no idea as far as analogue and digital goes, what reasons would I choose one or the other for? I'd prefer a card-based tuner to save the USB slot, but not if it's noticeably more expensive.

Edit: This one seems okay.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kero-chan wrote:
I don't care about HD because this is just a stop-gap and I don't want to spend more than necessary. I have no idea as far as analogue and digital goes, what reasons would I choose one or the other for?

Well, if you get a digital one you can get digital channels and, IIRC, record shows in digital. Dad has one but I've yet to use it.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Centercom has different prices depending on the store you go to. While I find that interesting it is neither a recomendation nor a caution simply something to be aware.

I have used them for the last few thousand of PC stuffs and never had a problem. One HDD I bought was DOA, but they swapped it the following week AND refunded me the price the item has dropped in that week!

I have had a Generic Analogue TV card and it was complete crap. I am now struggling to get my damn Dvico DualFusion4 working again. I can't recommend it, as even when it did work MCE2k5 crashed every 5 seconds, Media Portal was slightly better but still useless, and the official software that comes with the card (or for free from the official site) does not even allow you to use the full functionality of the card, if you can ever get it to work.

In other words.. do not buy a Dvico. They suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only one more week until I finally get my own PC: C2D 2.66GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, 256MB 8600GT and a BenQ 22" widescreen monitor. All for $1575 (including a wireless network adapter and TV tuner card). Very Happy

PS: I was going to post the full specs but didn't want to be boring or too boastful. Razz
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kero-chan wrote:

PS: I was going to post the full specs but didn't want to be boring or too boastful. Razz

There is a thread for that Razz

where you order from?
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedfreek19 wrote:
where you order from?

Landmark Computers.

Last edited by Kero-chan on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well it looks like we wont be getting a new pc for a while (unless we can up to a better pc once the lease expires or something i dunno) i'm looking at upgrading what I currently have

Namely video card and ram.

What would be the best card to go with on AGP? more so hoping to go Nvidia lot as i know them better. Where would be the best place i can get em? Was thinking of this one - http://www.ple.com.au/snapshot.php?inventory_id=32461

Unless my motherboard (MX46-533GN) can support PCI gfx cards
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Need a recommendation on a quiet/silent PSU for my new PC.

Internal Specs upon purchase/assembly:
CPU: 3GHz Intel Core2Duo
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHz
MBOARD: Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6
GFX: GeForce 9600GT
STORAGE: Western Digital 500GB 7200 SATA2
Lite-On Blu-Ray SATA DVD Re-Writer
3.5" FDD (for nostalgia)
CAPTURE: Compro Videomate (forgot the model #)
plus a Liquid Cooling System built into the case I'm going to get (PSU obviously not included).

Price is a factor, my list keeps getting bigger, and I'd like to keep my total as low as possible.
Dr.Jackal
Sylia Stingray

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got a Corsair 620w power supply and it is super quiet. So, i recommend looking into their range. (i am sure they have more out now)
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got an Enermax Galaxy 1000 Watt. It's pretty quite. I had a 620 Enermax Liberty before that. It was also pretty quiet.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Inniss 1428 wrote:
Need a recommendation on a quiet/silent PSU for my new PC.

Silent PC Review to the rescue! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any guesses which PSU would come with a CoolerMaster Centurion 5? All I know is it's 460W and I've been assured it's nice and quiet. My brother's PC has the same case and it's very quiet, but I'm not sure what kind of PSU he has.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have that exact PSU sitting on my floor wrapped in bubble wrap right now. A mate bought that case, but put some uber PSU in it before even using the original. Its brand new just sitting there, waiting patiently for me to build my new PC.

Whingepool seems to think it is a solid, quiet unit. If you hold any stok in the opinion over there that may or may not help you.
FireAza
Kiichi Goto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're concerned about PC noise, get an Antec. Not only is it quiet, but it also has two special fan-only molex plugs, that keep any fans plugged into it running as slowly as they can (depending on temperature), and thus, as quietly as they can. Ever since I got one, my PC has been super quiet.
Inniss 1428
Kagami Hiiragi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mucho Gracias all.
Now I just have to go through the grueling process of getting prices from everywhere near me for my parts (and see if I can find any cheaper equivilants) before I get the money and throw it all away.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
FireAza wrote:
If you're concerned about PC noise, get an Antec. Not only is it quiet, but it also has two special fan-only molex plugs, that keep any fans plugged into it running as slowly as they can (depending on temperature), and thus, as quietly as they can. Ever since I got one, my PC has been super quiet.

Antec do make some extremely good, and quiet case/psu combos Smile
I've got one of the original Sonata's here which has lasted well (it's about 3-4 years old), and I recently built my nephew a new machine using the Sonata V3 which was even better.

I'm actually looking at building myself a new system soon (i've almost ordred the parts about 3 times in the past week:p), and I'm going for the Sonata 550 which is the latest in the line different look than the older ones (no front dorr), but a better PSU (550 modular) and apparently it's got better soundproofing.
Bowspearer
Koishi Herikawa

Location: Central Coast (the place being slowly devoured by the hole known as Sydney which I escaped from)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Need help replacing my motherboard and right now I could throttle the guy who sold me my computer.

Around Christmas last year my the K8NS Pro motherboard died in my A64 3400+ system. The guy I bought the computer from claimed that Gigabyte had fixed the problem (after several months of going back and forth) only to have the comp screw up completely on me yet agin within 5 months of this.

The other problem was of course when I bought this I was sold a socket 754 based system and ASSURED that 754 would be the winner in the cpu socket war on at the time.

A few weeks ago I started thinking about replacing the mother board and today I went shopping around, only 754 motherboards seem to be extemely rare these days.

Can anyone recommend a good socket 754 board which can handle SATA, 8x AGP, gigabit ethernet, minimum 5.1 channel sound and DDR2 ram?

I'm trying to get out of this with just having to replace the motherboard.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hate to be the dearer of bad news, but socket 754 is four generations old. I very much dounbt they are manufactured any more, and I would be surprised if they were manufactured anywhere close to 12 months ago.

If you do manage to find any in stock anywhere new, they will be extreemely old stock that has been sitting around for a long time.

In case you are interested.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've seen a couple of 754 motherboards* available in the UK recently (I've been looking at new motherboards for an upgrade).
I suspect some of the bigger online stores may still have some kicking around in the stock rooms.

*One was an ASrock model for about 40 (so probably low end).
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's Mwave Australia's line up. Three of which are AGP. However, all are DDR Ram.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not exactly a technical problem, but rahter a spec check

Does
Intel Q6600 (quad core 2.4ghz)
Asus P5K-Premium/wifi
2x 4gb DDR2 800 memory kits (4x 2gb modules)
ATI 3870
Seagate 500gb SATA 2 drive (32mb cache)
Antec Sonata 550
Vista 64

Sound like a workable new machine?
It's mainly for games and scanning a lot of old photo's and negatives (hopefully cleaning up some of them) - i've got a Cannon 8800F scanner due in tomorrow.

I've been running a P4D machine with a gig of ram for about 3 years Smile
Darth Tallis
Van Fanel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Werewolfforhire wrote:
Not exactly a technical problem, but rahter a spec check

Does
Intel Q6600 (quad core 2.4ghz)
Asus P5K-Premium/wifi
2x 4gb DDR2 800 memory kits (4x 2gb modules)
ATI 3870
Seagate 500gb SATA 2 drive (32mb cache)
Antec Sonata 550
Vista 64

Sound like a workable new machine?

Sounds like a beast to me. Very Happy

Quote:
I've been running a P4D machine with a gig of ram for about 3 years Smile

You will notice the difference between a single core processor and quad-core processor almost instantly. Mr. Green
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darth Tallis wrote:
Sounds like a beast to me. Very Happy

Sure does. Shocked
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aye it's a bit of a beastie spec, but seems to be the best spec/cost compromise at the moment over here (apart from the ram which is me trying to look ahead).

I can't help but think it's overkill for my general use (I don't play many games), but having spent some of yesterday waiting as my PC chugs along after scanning in some pictures at 300dpi I think I can justify it (barely;)).
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
8gb ram? Quad core CPU? i think that's plenty if you just want to scan stuff Razz

I scan most things in at 1200dpi then scale them down by about half. I scanned in all 18 covers of CCS, though i didnt resize 16 of them, ended up taking 3gb of space lol

I'm just looking at upping ram to 2gb on this thing, that should give me plenty of headroom for scanning into photoshop and then editing said image (up from 512mb)

That kinda spec is probably overkill for most average users, even a dual core and 3-4gb of ram would be plenty, even for a half serious gamer.
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
how much are the 3870's costing you?

I was about to put in an order for 2 8800GTX's. but was wondering if the new ATI cards are around the same price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't look at it as overkill, look at it as aggressive future-proofing.
speedfreek19
Itsuki Koizumi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like the way you think HB
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
Don't look at it as overkill, look at it as aggressive future-proofing.

isn't that just mean its 1 year till being outdated instead of 6 months?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shush. I'm trying to be positive here.
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I seem to be having issues with my wireless keyboard signal interfering with my wireless network adapter, resulting in reasonably frequent lag spikes while playing WoW. Any suggestions on how I can solve or combat this?
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Apart from the obvious answer (stop using wireless for one of them), nothing comes to mind.
CreepC
Kenshin Himura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kero-chan wrote:
I seem to be having issues with my wireless keyboard signal interfering with my wireless network adapter, resulting in reasonably frequent lag spikes while playing WoW. Any suggestions on how I can solve or combat this?

what model of keyboard are you using? some of the older models have lag issues which is why most people have changed to corded G15's.
Werewolfforhire
Arumi Asahina

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CreepC wrote:
how much are the 3870's costing you?

I was about to put in an order for 2 8800GTX's. but was wondering if the new ATI cards are around the same price.

About 130-140ish (just the one though), that's for the asus version with GDDR4 ram as opposed to some of the cheaper ones that have ddr3 and shorter guarantees.
I think the 3870 X2 cards (two 3870's on a single card) are about 300.

HimuraBattousai, my thought exactly Wink (once it's running I intent to try and keep it for at least 2 years).

Re the scanning, part of it is that a lot of the pictures are pretty old and need a fair bit of cleaning up/colour correction etc, which given that some of them are 10x8's need a fair bit of ram when scanned at high res* (my current system runs into problems).
I may just get 4gb to start with though and see how it does though, as I can always order an extra 4gb set..

Kero-Chan
I didn't think that wireless keyboards worked on the same frequencies as wireless networks? (except bluetooth based ones).
I have however heard of some wireless networks working better on certain frequencies.
I've also observed that my dect cordless phone sometimes interferes with my MX3000 keyboard.

*I want to try and get some of them cleaned up and reprinted (not to mention the slides).
Kero-chan
Priss Asagiri

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CreepC wrote:
what model of keyboard are you using? some of the older models have lag issues which is why most people have changed to corded G15's.

Wireless Optical Desktop 1000 - about the oldest/most basic in the current range.

Page 3 of 29

Jump to: