Usergroups  ·  Register ·    Profile  ·  Log in to check your private messages  ·   Log in     

Computer Tech Help thread(For ALL computer problems)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Computer Tech Help thread(For ALL computer problems)
Author
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
The upscaling issue is a problem that will solve itself soon enough.

As soon as resolutions like that on the iPad 3 become standard (hint: probably not for many, many years).

Mangaman wrote:

For me, I grabbed it for work, but wanted to go iOS to sync with my iPhone and to allow apps to roll across both platforms, hence why I didn't go for an Android device.

Too bad that doesn't really happen and you end up having to pay for the higher resolution versions of the apps you already own (which have been optimised for the iPad 1 or 2, and then have to be yet again unscaled for the iPad 3). It's something you don't really run into on the Android platform.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
As soon as resolutions like that on the iPad 3 become standard (hint: probably not until hi-DPI monitors start hitting the market later this year).

Fixed.

Also, you can use some nifty javascript hacks to serve images to a device based on its screen resolution.

Quote:
It's something you don't really run into on the Android platform.

It's a small price to pay for not having to put up with the crawling horror that is the tablet version of Android, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:

Fixed.

Also, you can use some nifty javascript hacks to serve images to a device based on its screen resolution.

I'm pretty sure the problem stems from the fact that small-arse images on web pages look like arse on resolutions as high as the iPad 3's. When you zoom into said pages to actually read text, you end up having lots of horrib;e looking images. High HPI monitors won't change that happening on the iPad 3, believe me. It won't. You're completely retarded to even consider it so. As soon as higher resolutions (like that on the iPad 3) become standard and images on web pages are made to be larger to compensate for this, images will always look like arse on the iPad 3.

Quote:

It's a small price to pay for not having to put up with the crawling horror that is the tablet version of Android, though.

What have you been using on Android tablets, Gingerbread? Laughing
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I honestly haven't had any issues with images on the web when reading text. You tend not to notice it while actually reading text.

And, like I said, it's a solved problem.

Quote:
What have you been using on Android tablets, Gingerbread?

Whatever the demo units I've played with in various shops over the past few months are running. It doesn't matter because they're all pretty abysmal (slow/clunky UI, poor touch sensitivity, too heavy etc etc).

The sooner Android dies the horrible death it deserves to die so that someone can finally make a decent mobile OS that isn't iOS, the better.

What needs to happen is an open, commoditised ARM platform that can run many OSes, and which users have control over what apps and OSes they run on it. I was hoping Microsoft's ARM would do this, but they went and buggered it up wit that stupid UEFI Secure Boot decision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
What needs to happen is an open, commoditised ARM platform that can run many OSes, and which users have control over what apps and OSes they run on it.

The Raspberry Pi is shaping up to be this. It's not a tablet or a mobile phone, but it is a start.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It needs more POWERRRRRRRRRR.

Ars Technica has an in-depth look at why Metro is such a jarring disconnect from regular Windows 8.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
I honestly haven't had any issues with images on the web when reading text. You tend not to notice it while actually reading text.

And, like I said, it's a solved problem.

So because you don't notice it, it's a solved problem? I'm sure HDPI monitors won't change a thing when it comes to the immediate future (especially the supported life-span of the iPad 3).

Quote:
Whatever the demo units I've played with in various shops over the past few months are running. It doesn't matter because they're all pretty abysmal (slow/clunky UI, poor touch sensitivity, too heavy etc etc).

Considering we're talking about Australia, most of the display units are horribly out of date (either running Gingerbread or Honeycomb) and have been used to death. iPad display units tend to display the same problems, especially when it comes to over-use resulting in poor performance. In a local Optus shop, the Galaxy Note they have on display has been so used that the stylus barely works. On an Android slate the keyboard has been so hammered by customers that it no longer registers a key press. There's an iPad 2 on display with a permanently pressed-in home button at my local JB HiFi.

Quote:
The sooner Android dies the horrible death it deserves to die so that someone can finally make a decent mobile OS that isn't iOS, the better.

See: WebOS, followed by: you consider iOS to be decent mobile OS.

Quote:
What needs to happen is an open, commoditised ARM platform that can run many OSes, and which users have control over what apps and OSes they run on it. I was hoping Microsoft's ARM would do this, but they went and buggered it up wit that stupid UEFI Secure Boot decision.

Oh, a company that produces closed-source software is deciding to release a tablet OS that's securely locked down? Whod'a thunk it, Storm?

Who'd a thunk it?
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
See: WebOS, followed by: you consider iOS to be decent mobile OS.

Well, it is.

Quote:
Oh, a company that produces closed-source software is deciding to release a tablet OS that's securely locked down?

I know you're just trolling here, but I'm going to do this anyway.

Microsoft had an opportunity to create an ARM commodity market just like the x86 commodity market that's been their bottom line for most of their existence, yet they chose not to take it.

Given the company is so willing to compromise its operating system to pander to this market with that godawful Metro thing that's in Windows 8, you'd think they'd have more faith in an open ARM platform than they apparently do.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
Well, it is.

It's 'decent', like how a Daihatsu is 'decent'.

The lack of uniformity in iOS apps is probably what makes me snort at people that consider iOS 'decent'. iPad hardware (sans camera, as is every tablet) may be pretty alright, but the entire device is brought down by the OS. I mean, considering the iPad 3's resolution, there should be many more apps per home screen than there is. Plus buttons and other such toggles should be larger. Absolutely no optimisation is going on here.

Quote:

I know you're just trolling here, but I'm going to do this anyway.

If that was trolling, I wasn't even trying. It's fairly obvious what Microsoft is like when it comes to their Mobile OS' considering Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 7.

Quote:
you'd think they'd have more faith in an open ARM platform than they apparently do.

The ARM platform is the platform they're most likely to sell those new fangled Windows 8 Apps. Basic economics tells me that they're locking you in to the Windows 8 Market to force you to buy Windows 8 Apps, or else I'd just flash Android and probably get most equivalents and games for free instead. I don't think Microsoft wants that.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
The lack of uniformity in iOS apps is probably what makes me snort at people that consider iOS 'decent'.

Which is a bit like saying that because there are applications for Windows which are crap, Windows is crap. (I do think that Windows is crap anyway, but for reasons relating to the design and implementation of the operating system itself, not because some third parties write bad software.)
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not to mention that uniformity of design is one of the strengths of iOS (and, hilariously, one of the longstanding problems with Windows, which currently maintains no less than four distinct sets of interface widgets).

OniV2 wrote:
I mean, considering the iPad 3's resolution, there should be many more apps per home screen than there is. Plus buttons and other such toggles should be larger. Absolutely no optimisation is going on here.

Erm... you do understand that the new iPad's screen is physically the same size as the old one, right? The pixels got smaller, but the screen didn't change size. Functionally, the two screens are identical, it's just the new one looks nine hundred and eighty four billion times sharper than the old one.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
Which is a bit like saying that because there are applications for Windows which are crap, Windows is crap. (I do think that Windows is crap anyway, but for reasons relating to the design and implementation of the operating system itself, not because some third parties write bad software.)

Except for the fact that there are plenty of native iOS apps that come on the device that also lack uniformity. Apple likes to introduce elements onto iOS in newer versions, then leave other elements the exact same as they were before. For example, the difference between the dialler and the camera application is stark. You can tell one was designed back in 2007 when the device being a phone was the thing, and the other was revamped recently when suddenly the device's camera was the thing.

I didn't even mention third-parties though, so thanks for throwing that into the fray. When major UI elements, such as navigational keys, are left up to third parties things go haywire. Absolutely excellent to have the back button in all four corners of the screen when switching between four applications.

StorminNorman wrote:
Erm... you do understand that the new iPad's screen is physically the same size as the old one, right? The pixels got smaller, but the screen didn't change size. Functionally, the two screens are identical, it's just the new one looks nine hundred and eighty four billion times sharper than the old one.

Yes, and then why does the iPad line still have the masses of padding around each icon? No optimisation, it's still built around the *old* iPhone and iPod Touch generations. Do you get my drift? There really should be two different lines of iOS, one for tablets and the other for mobile phones. Otherwise, one's obviously left weaker because it's just trying to be a larger/smaller version of the other.

Quote:
Not to mention that uniformity of design is one of the strengths of iOS

That's a new one. News to anyone, I'd say.

The settings look nothing like the pull-down notification bar which looks nothing like folders which pays no reference to the dock (which is the main UI element you look at) whilst native icons are all shiny and rounded with the rest of the UI generally seeming to be flat. Heck, the built-in keyboard looks nothing like the rest of the interface (sans the white part), which is fairly odd for a mobile OS. If you type 'they're different things', I'll honestly laugh out loud.

Uniformity is honestly one of the last things I think of when you mention iOS.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
All I can say is that I actually own and use an iPad and iPhone every day, and have experienced exactly none of the problems with iOS that you describe.

We're also wildly off topic at this point.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
All I can say is that I actually own and use an iPad and iPhone every day, and have experienced exactly none of the problems with iOS that you describe.

We're also wildly off topic at this point.

And I'm posting from one right now, to pass the time. They're all glaringly obvious to an individual that DOESN'T use one every day. Also, this iPad 3 is incredibly warm.

And yeah, we're a tad off-topic.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just thought I'd drop by and show everyone something that I found on Reddit this morning.

Discuss.
The Tragic Man
Abriel Nei Debrusc Borl Paryun Lafiel

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
Just thought I'd drop by and show everyone something that I found on Reddit this morning.

Discuss.

Nice. My latest password combo will take 1.28 trillion centuries to crack in the "Massive Cracking Array scenario" (Assuming one hundred trillion guesses per second, and it's the final possible combination that is guessed).
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh gods Steve Gibson. I wouldn't ask that guy for computer help if my computer was on fire tbh.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any particular reason why that is, just out of interest?
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
He tends oversimplify complex security issues in order to sell software.

He massively overstated an early vulnerability in Windows XP's raw sockets implementation so he could sell a network scanning software package many years ago.

The issues he presents are real enough, but the way he presents them tends to be a bit too hyperbolic.

Spent the afternoon setting up a new ADSL Modem/Router. It's amazing how much faster your network goes when you can use 802.11n and your router has a 450Mhz CPU.
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Didn't you have 802.11n before? (Debatable actually, given how well it'd been working recently...)
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
StorminNorman wrote:
The issues he presents are real enough, but the way he presents them tends to be a bit too hyperbolic.

So he's just like everybody in the computer industry then?
Nargun
Siegfried Kircheis

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:
[..]

So he's just like everybody in the computer industry then?

PROTIP: people do not engage in conversation with you solely for the purposes of being exposed to your "witty"

[people answer your questions because they like helping others. But that only works if getting the answers helps you; if you treat them solely as grist for demonstrating your awesomeness we haven't really helped you, we don't get the feel-goods for helping you, and we become less eager to answer your questions in future.]
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:
PROTIP: people do not engage in conversation with you solely for the purposes of being exposed to your "witty"

[people answer your questions because they like helping others. But that only works if getting the answers helps you; if you treat them solely as grist for demonstrating your awesomeness we haven't really helped you, we don't get the feel-goods for helping you, and we become less eager to answer your questions in future.]

Uh, okay, I'm not entirely sure why I'm being told this but I'll, uh, keep it in mind. Confused
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HimuraBattousai wrote:
Didn't you have 802.11n before? (Debatable actually, given how well it'd been working recently...)

Technically we did, but it was disabled because the Time Capsule could only do 5.5Ghz or 2.4Ghz, not both simultaneously. Given that we own only two laptops that do 5Ghz, it was a bit annoying.

Now the Macbooks and iPads can all join the glorious 5.5Ghz Master Race while the PCs all languish with the 2.5Ghz masses.

Also, the new router is all GigE, all the time.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nargun wrote:

PROTIP: Helping others is about making them feel good, not you.

[Don't help people if it's simply to fuel your own ego.]

Did I do it right?
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
PROTIP: Helping others is about making them feel good, not you.

[Don't help people if it's simply to fuel your own ego.]

And do not confuse ego with altruism.

PROTIP: There are people who actually get satisfaction from helping others; usually because they can see the beneficial results of their work in other people.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:

And do not confuse ego with altruism.

PROTIP: There are people who actually get satisfaction from helping others; usually because they can see the beneficial results of their work in other people.

PROTIP: Satisfaction as a result of knowing you're helping others is different to helping others to merely feel good.

[the difference is that one is doing it for others, and the other is doing it for yourself]

I'm getting good at this. I should write the TRAINER TIPS in Pokemon games.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
PROTIP: Satisfaction as a result of knowing you're helping others is different to helping others to merely feel good.

The difference is really blurred. Satisfaction and feeling good about your efforts are not mutually exclusive. They are generally different definitions of the same thing.

But who cares anyway. At the end of the day, the motives behind the person offering help is often irrelevant. If an egotistical idiot gives as much correct answers as an altruistic one, the person receiving the help will benefit regardless. And that's what really counts. I certainly wouldn't care where the information came from, as long as it is correct and servers my purpose.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
One particular Madboarder, technically speaking, owes me her firstborn child as payment for my assistance retrieving lots of family photos from a hard drive with a corrupted index.

Never shall I redeem that.
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:
The difference is really blurred. Satisfaction and feeling good about your efforts are not mutually exclusive. They are generally different definitions of the same thing.

They are indeed blurred when you word it like that, however I did specifically type that satisfactions as 'a result of knowing you're helping others' is different to satisfaction as a result of 'helping others to merely feel good.'

The difference is that in one case you're satisfied because you actually are helping ('ah, I feel good that I managed to help someone today') and in another case you are satisfied from the thought of helping, regardless of if actually helping or not (e.g. giving someone directions when you have no idea where the place they wanted to go is, or making up answers on the spot without any research when answering a question).

Quote:
But who cares anyway. At the end of the day, the motives behind the person offering help is often irrelevant. If an egotistical idiot gives as much correct answers as an altruistic one, the person receiving the help will benefit regardless. And that's what really counts. I certainly wouldn't care where the information came from, as long as it is correct and servers my purpose.

Yes, but I doubt an egotistical helper is as concerned about not being biased and giving correct information relevant to the situation.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
One particular Madboarder, technically speaking, owes me her firstborn child as payment for my assistance retrieving lots of family photos from a hard drive with a corrupted index.

Never shall I redeem that.

Ensure to pass it down the generational line though so, say, 200 years up the line somebody from your lineage attempts to claim what is theirs. Wink
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds like an anime in the making. Very Happy
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back on topic, I've a feeling that the power supply in my computer blew this morning. I bought a new power supply this afternoon, here's hoping that if it is the PSU's fault, that's the only thing that was damaged. I think I'd cry if I lost everything on all of my drives.
chris-of-penrith
Nia Teppelin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
getting a new ipad for my birthday on saturday.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
Back on topic, I've a feeling that the power supply in my computer blew this morning. I bought a new power supply this afternoon, here's hoping that if it is the PSU's fault, that's the only thing that was damaged. I think I'd cry if I lost everything on all of my drives.

Fingers crossed. Most PC parts and components are quite resilient against these sort of things, provided the power fluctuations from the failing PSU was not sustained over a long period of time.

Note to anyone wanting to buy PSUs: Computer PSUs are one of the few things where you actually get what you paid for. The extra cost involved with reputable branded units generally goes towards reliable internal components and better electronics engineering.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tachikoma wrote:

Fingers crossed. Most PC parts and components are quite resilient against these sort of things, provided the power fluctuations from the failing PSU was not sustained over a long period of time.

Note to anyone wanting to buy PSUs: Computer PSUs are one of the few things where you actually get what you paid for. The extra cost involved with reputable branded units generally goes towards reliable internal components and better electronics engineering.

It was the PSU after all, and nothing downriver of the PSU seems to have been damaged. Though, I was sure glad that I had a Coolermaster power supply in ther for precisely that reason. As I put it to the gu at my local computer shop, 'When trying to save money on a car, you don't cut corners on the brakes, seatbelts or airbags'.
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had PSUs fail regularly and I've only ever once had it take other components. Those components happened to be RAM and a GPU though. Razz
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
CG wrote:
I've had PSUs fail regularly and I've only ever once had it take other components. Those components happened to be RAM and a GPU though. Razz

I've had a PSU with a loose wire that I needed to push back in. It was jutting out into the fan and making a terrible racket.

My aunt's iMac did have its PSU fail, and it pretty much completely fried the logic/mother board. Hit every component of the Mac as a result, and even shorted out the hard drive. Only 4GBs of the hard drive could be accessed through the usual methods (freezing, via a Linux distro, etc).
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah...mine had the massive electrical burning smell coming out of it. No coming back from that one.
Tachikoma
Shiki Tohno

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I saw a whole range of exciting failures, ranging from inexplicable silent deaths, friendly smoke deaths, or dramatic bangs with varistor fragments flying across the room.

SHAW for teh win!!!!111
CG
Yukino Miyazawa

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had sparks shoot out the back once apparently. I wasn't in the room at the time but apparently it was like a firework.

Turns out a gecko had gotten inside the PSU which is something that happened quite often.
HeDanny
Grumpy Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In all my years I've only ever had one PC explode, but boy when it did it scared the poo out of me as I was actually using it at the time. BANG! brown smell and smoke all over. Strangely it was only the PSU that went. I slapped another PSU in there and it booted flawlessly. Go Figure.

On the other hand a mate had his new-ish (at the time) 6000+ over here all set up ready for a gaming night. It was .. what we thought, in sleep mode as we natted on about something and drank coffee, then all of a sudden the internal speaker started going completely mental. Screeching and beeping then before we managed to get to the power plug making this "I've screemed too loud and now I'm horse" sort of strangulated noise.

There was no other signs of anything. no smell, no smoke. nothing. After making sure all the connections were secure etc we plugged it back in and nothing. Not a thing. total nothing all over the place. Complete lack of anything. The PC was only about two weeks out of warranty which if it wasnt so frustrating would have been hilarious.

Completely dismantled and the only component that still worked was one of the six (yes, six) hard drives. I've still got the case here. Its reserved for a case mod that I've never got around to completing.

I also had a CD explode in a CD drive about a week after the Mythbusters episode about that exact thing. I even Blogged it, with photos and everything. Now I can't find where I posted it. I even went to great effort to try and find as many of the pieces as I could and placed them back in sort of the right order so I could take a pic out of it for Demotivator and wallpaper etc use. Can't find that either. So miffed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Shinji 3.141
Tina Foster

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
HeDanny wrote:
In all my years I've only ever had one PC explode, but boy when it did it scared the poo out of me as I was actually using it at the time. BANG! brown smell and smoke all over. Strangely it was only the PSU that went. I slapped another PSU in there and it booted flawlessly. Go Figure.

I've had that happen to one of my old computers and having grown up on a farm I would describe it as a shotgun gowning off. Razz

still I've come to find over the years that computer parts are (as long as they work in the first place) very reliable and resilient. in fact a friend once forgot to activate two of the fans on his liquid cooling systems radiator and it got so hot that the coolant melted the piping.. there was a slight pop followed by a "What the?" and finely a "Oh $%&@" before he vanished from voice chat. in the end despite everything except the drives being doused in coolant then cleaned off in the sink as well as the already hot CPU and GPU going without effective cooling untill the power could be pulled, none of the parts where worse for wear.

But when I started messing with computers I though they where as fragile as glass. Razz

Play Star Trek Online or Star Citizen? The Ausmonauts!
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought a 32GB wi-fi iPad yesterday. A couple of questions.

I can't get headphones to work on the iPad. The plug won't go completely into the socket. (I'm assuming it's a headphone socket; Apple's documentation completely ignores it, while indicating the on/off switch, lock switch and volume controls.) Is there some setting onthe iPad for headphones? Is the iPad faulty?

Also, I was put onto Air Video to stream MKV files to the iPad. Using the Air Video app, you can select subtitles and audio streams. The files I want to stream have optional subtitles encoded into them, yet Air Video won't recognise them.

The PC-side server program has a setting for the subtitle encoding and I fiddled with it, but it doesn't do anything. Does Air Video need the subtitles to be seperate files, rather than within the MKV file?
OniV2
Nene Romanova

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:

Also, I was put onto Air Video to stream MKV files to the iPad. Using the Air Video app, you can select subtitles and audio streams. The files I want to stream have optional subtitles encoded into them, yet Air Video won't recognise them.

The PC-side server program has a setting for the subtitle encoding and I fiddled with it, but it doesn't do anything. Does Air Video need the subtitles to be seperate files, rather than within the MKV file?

Perhaps Air Video doesn't support Styled Subtitles (.ASS/.SSA)?
HimuraBattousai
Kagami Yagami

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The AC adapter on my netbook is dying, so I've had to replace it. Every single laptop I've ever owned now has needed its AC adapter replaced at least once. Am I cursed or something? Please tell me I'm not the only one this happens to...
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
OniV2 wrote:
Perhaps Air Video doesn't support Styled Subtitles (.ASS/.SSA)?

I don't know if that's applicable or not. I make the MKVs myself in Handbrake.
Soul Master Kaze
Shinji Ikari

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Tragic Man wrote:
I bought a 32GB wi-fi iPad yesterday. A couple of questions.

I can't get headphones to work on the iPad. The plug won't go completely into the socket. (I'm assuming it's a headphone socket; Apple's documentation completely ignores it, while indicating the on/off switch, lock switch and volume controls.) Is there some setting onthe iPad for headphones? Is the iPad faulty?

Yes, that's the headphone socket. Older two-channel headphones sometimes need to be pushed a bit harder than three-channel ones. Also: this might sound stupid, but check to see that your headphones actually work, and that the headphone volume is up.

I've never heard of an Apple device or component being DOA, though I suppose it could happen.

Shinji 3.141 wrote:
Stuff about cooling of computer components.

Most mainboards have a safety built into them that will kill the power to a component if it reaches 100 degrees Celcius. It's normally prolonged exposure to high temperatures that writes off a component, or voltage surges.

That said, I'm liquid-cooling my next CPU. The trick, I'm told, is to make sure it's nonconductive rather than watercooled.
The Tragic Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soul Master Kaze wrote:
Yes, that's the headphone socket. Older two-channel headphones sometimes need to be pushed a bit harder than three-channel ones. Also: this might sound stupid, but check to see that your headphones actually work, and that the headphone volume is up.

I've never heard of an Apple device or component being DOA, though I suppose it could happen.

Wasn't pushing in hard enough. Got it working. Haven't needed to push it in that hard before. It's not very intuitive.
StorminNorman
Gillard-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It... works like any other headphone jack I've ever used.

The main issue is that, because of the shape of the iPad, a small part of the plug on the headphones will always be exposed.

Page 28 of 29

Jump to: